Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,608 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? (10745 Views)

Is A Car A Necessity? / Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings / Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
having a car is not a sign of prosperity. period!
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by omar22(m): 12:56pm On Aug 15, 2012
Dondbuzor: Yes, in naija environment, having a car is a sign of prosperity.
If u doubt, ask naija babes!

Thats why the Western world still think we live on Trees

(the last 2 Mayors of London gets the Train to office, even Boris Johnson cycle his bike to work, Our Governors would have an entourage of 7,8,9, 10 or more 4x4 plus motorcyles following them)
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Theblessed(f): 1:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
[size=23pt]Rubbish! [/size]
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
Well for me i think having a house of your own is it........having a car!hell no
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Nightshift(m): 1:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
Icon4s: What type & year model of car ar u talkin abt? Can u say some1 hustling with a 1945 Volkswagen beetle shows prosperity. And can u say Some1 that purchases a 2012 Range Rover HSE sports with other cars parked in his garage doesn't show sign of prosperity?
Dude, 1945 VW Beetle would be an oldtimer, it could be worth over €50.000. Do you have one? Only rich guys like Jay Leno can have such a an oldtimer in their collection. I forgot we are in Nigeria , where old cars are seldom appreciated .
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by bakila: 1:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
saxywale: To a Blackman, it is.

To an Oyinbo man, it is not.
Not true, if you need it and you have it its a sign. The issue here is not ultimate prosperity.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by texazzpete(m): 1:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
gabriel74: I know of someone who has a jeep and does not have a house but leave with a friend and mostly sleep in his jeep when the room is congested..I think this is a Drwabacksperity

Do you know the circumstance behind the reason why he uses that jeep?

I have a friend who's totally broke...he still rides around in his jeep because he absolutely needs it to convey the right impression when he's off seeking for contracts.

He just got a contract recently that will put some green into his account. He'd NEVER have gotten past the gate if he had showed up for the interview/discussion riding on Okada.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
Where is BILLIONAIRE? Make im con answer dis question!
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by emmyasam95(m): 1:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
Its not. Cos pple get loans from bank or even frnds 2 buy a car
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by AjanleKoko: 2:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
Most definitely yes . . . in the Nigerian context.
Not up to 30% of the adult population have vehicles. I'm guessing maybe between 5 and 10%.
So yes, it means you have means beyond the average, if you own a personal automobile.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by omar22(m): 2:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
AjanleKoko: Most definitely yes . . . in the Nigerian context.
Not up to 30% of the adult population have vehicles. I'm guessing maybe between 5 and 10%.
So yes, it means you have means beyond the average, if you own a personal automobile.

If I give a Jobless person a 1997 Grand Cherokee knowing that its a 4.0 ltr engine, now answer my question is that a sign of prosperity?
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by greatgod2012(f): 2:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
it depends on d type of d car and d person involved. If a person thnks having a model of a car is what gives him optimal fulfilment, and he's able to get it conveniently, then, it's prosperity, but if on d other hand, a person sees it as a source of income, e.g taxi owners who also doubles as d driver and strife so hard to get one, then it's not.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by AjanleKoko: 2:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
omar22:

If I give a Jobless person a 1997 Grand Cherokee knowing that its a 4.0 ltr engine, now answer my question is that a sign of prosperity?

How will he run the car without money? If he can afford to run a car with a 4.0 liter engine, he is definitely prosperous.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Godogwu: 2:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
@OP, your question is pretty vague. A lot of factors come to determine if having a car is a sign of prosperity, for example; type of car, year, cost and how it was paid for. If somebody who has never had a car before buys the 2012 X6, 2012 ML or 2012 Range rover and paid cash, then there's no doubt that person is prospering. In another case, when someone already owns like 2 pretty nice cars like a 2011 E-class and a 2012 ML and the person decides to add a 2009 Camry to his/her fleet....I wouldn't see this as prosperity. Nevertheless, owning a car means owning a property but just as some have said, it's just secondary (luxury)...
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by segzicres(m): 2:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
I think it's a sign of PROGRESS
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
jerseyboy: Many are working for their car and not their car working for them.

Very true sir. Its more convenient? yes is it.
Are U richer? Hell no
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
I think having a car of whatever make and model is a matter of convenience and not a sign of prosperity unless you've got too much riches to flaunt...
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by str8talk1: 4:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
Okija_juju:
YES!!!

Especially if you are driving a 2013 Jaguar XF sedan.

u r talking about 2013 while we r still in 2012? Pls,can somebody tell me if i am still living in d past?
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
str8_talk:
u r talking about 2013 while we r still in 2012? Pls,can somebody tell me if i am still living in d past?

HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Thats how you know rich people sir!!

We live in the future!!

#Boss things!

2013 Lamboghini Ferrucio!!

Holla back!
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by str8talk1: 5:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
On a second thought,considering d tribal origin of Gov. BRF,I am not surprise as itz a known fact dat pple 4rm SW r naturally hungry/eager to drive a car either a ricketing/sleek one not minding if they need to b soaking garri after purchasing d car or even to borrow just to own a car. As evident in d SWners to borrow to throw 'Owambe' party.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Tattooboy: 6:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
locust01: Having a car is not a sign of prosperity from where i come from but u being able 2 have a house of your own. Car is just a secondary.
If i may ask, where re u from? Cuz this is from a typical Yoruba point of view.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Skoopy(m): 6:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
favvyE: for the fact that one is able to get a car does not show any sign of prosperity at all...for goodness sake...do u understand what it means to be prosperous?... [i][/i]
Do you measure prosperity by a man's bank account which you don't know?
Let me help you with the parameters for measuring prosperity...
* havin sleek rides
* Mansions
*givin ur kids the best edu. Money can afford.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by werepeLeri: 8:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
OP- No. Its a sign of a broke ass nigger.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by werepeLeri: 8:06pm On Aug 15, 2012
str8_talk:

You sure are one shitty nigger. Thats how car manufacturers name their cars. Is that new to you?
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by proudlyafrican(m): 9:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
I will say it is a sign of prosperity if one buys a car out rightly paying from his pocket and not borrowing money to buy.However,it does not equate wealth.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by God2man(m): 9:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
Cambridge international Dictionary of English defined Prosperity as the state of being successful and having a lot of money.

People see it as good sign of prosperity, but the owner may be facing the worst financial crisis ever. Then, there is a big question; are you the one driving the car or the car driving you? What i mean is that the car can be a blessing to you and at the same time be a curse, it depends on how you are using the car.

Generally, it a sign of prosperity but not a good evidence that the owner is prosperous. There is a big difference between you having a car or the car having you. While the former is prosperous, the latter is in a financial mess.

God bless you.
God2man.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by bibigirl07: 10:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
As long as the car takes u from point A to point b, effortlessly, u much higher  the ladder than d pedestrian, not neccesarily prosperity, cuz ma fish customer in d open market has a car,does that make her prosperous? To her, its necessity.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Clemzy16(m): 10:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
It actually depends...
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by DramsQ: 11:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
gabriel74: I know of someone who has a jeep and does not have a house but leave with a friend and mostly sleep in his jeep when the room is congested..I think this is a Drwabacksperity
No offence but I'm sure that person is from the south-east.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by Dubemkelly(m): 7:04am On Aug 16, 2012
As far as am concerned,a car is a sign of prosperity,landed property,car,nd da rest r evidence of gud living,if u hvnt got a car n u r working,u had bera wrk harder cos suffering can't improve yhu standard of living, come 2 fink of it, money n prosperity r interwoven,hardly u c a man hu has got money wout getting a ride 2 cruise wiv...Shw me yhu ride nd I will tell u hw prosperous u r...Looking 4wrd 2 get mine nd groove scatter...
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by malaria(f): 8:43am On Aug 16, 2012
He'll NO,wots the use of having a car and no house and investments.some ppl have a car cos is a neccessity 4 them not because they have money.I prefer 2 own mansions and other investments billion times over a car.
Re: Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? by buchibabe: 8:55am On Aug 16, 2012
Car is not an investment but just an asset. Which means dat it does nt appreciat in value. Infact d more u keep it d more it depreciates,unlike landed properties dt can be sold even tripple d cost price dependin on d location. Cars are not yardstick to measure wealth. So be it a lincon or a mazda 626,u can still be a broke ass dude

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Would You Buy And Why ? 4runner Or Nissan Pathfinder / 7 Ways To Identify A Lagos-based Danfo Driver / 10 Simple Car Safety Checks You Should Know How To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.