Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,682 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Why Are Yoruba People Too Liberal In Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Yoruba People Too Liberal In Religion? (1893 Views)

7 Types Of People In RELIGION SECTION / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? / Jesus Christ Was A Liberal Not Conservative, Christians Should Live Like Christ. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Yoruba People Too Liberal In Religion? by Afam4eva(m): 3:06pm On Aug 15, 2012
Maybe "Liberal" is not the right word but it's close enough.

I've been wanting to discuss this topic but haven't because i thought it would cause an uproar by some nairalanders but i just decided to do it anyways after being inspired by this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1018891/nigeria-consul-general-new-york-im.

I have noticed that Yorubas are literal to a fault when it comes to religion and why i believe every religion should be accorded some level of respect, i don't think people engaging or having a feel of other people's religion shows your seriousness as a Christian or Muslim. Let me just give an illustration that i encounted personally.

I was working on contract for a company and majority of people in that company are Yorubas(it's owned by a Yoruba man). Every morning we pray before work resumes. We usually pray the Christian way except on Fridays when we allow our Muslim brother to do it the muslim way. Now one thing i noticed is that, while the Christian prayer, worship and praise is going on, the muslims just stand still without doing anything. I have no problem with that. But now, when it's time for the muslims to say their own prayer, some Christians people start reciting some prayers with them and start singing muslim songs with them. While i feel, they're doing it to look liberal and all but is it the right thing to do? [size=16pt]I feel if you must be a Christian, then be one. If you must be a Muslim then stick to it. There's no use prostituting with religions[/size].

The excuse some people will give is that we worship the same God. While i don't know if this is true or false, doesn't Christianity revolve around Jesu Cristi? And Muslims don't believe that Jesus is the son of God. They just see him as a prophet just like Mohammed.
Re: Why Are Yoruba People Too Liberal In Religion? by Afam4eva(m): 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
Okija_juju, this one wey dem dey hide your post wetin happen. E be like say you dey use word wey you no suppose use.
Re: Why Are Yoruba People Too Liberal In Religion? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
Nna, the matter tire me o!!
Re: Why Are Yoruba People Too Liberal In Religion? by Afam4eva(m): 7:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
deleted

(1) (Reply)

20 Reasons To Abandon Christianity (part Two) / Check Out MC Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor's Huge Gold Neck Piece. / 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.