Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation (15638 Views)

EXPLOSIVE!!! Secret 1914 Amalgamation Document Finally EXPOSED (PHOTOS) / Nigeria’s 1914 Amalgamation Has Expired, Says Ijaw Congress / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 8:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
GAR3TH:

Yes I saw that map on an article on Nigeria Village Square. Other articles kept mentioning the colony and protectorate of S.Nigeria as the Protectorate of S.Nigeria, Hence the bit of confusion on my part. Also The Royal Niger Company owned land in the SE, SS, SW, and parts of northern Nigeria but only the land in the SS and SE were merge, another reason for the confusion. But to say the colony of lagos is a parasite is misleading, the Main reason the British colonized Lagos was because of the port and the economy.

Also based on your argument wont it be the Amalgamation of 1900 be the blame. Since the Niger Coast Protectorate (Niger Delta) who produced the oil and the Royal Niger Company (Mainland) didn't? So technically going by your logic its the Royal Niger Company (SE & part of SS) who are also the parasites....

You are only trying to be mischievous by claiming that the history was confusing. It's as clear as black and white unless you have issue with comprehension.
Protectorate of Southern Nigeria is different from the Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria.

On your second point, if you can't read, can't you see too? The map I posted showed clearly that the remaining part of Royal Niger company not yet in control of Niger Coast Protectorate covers just a small area that is Bayelsa. Niger Coast Protectorate included the whole SE, Calabar, Port Harcourt, Ibibio land, Edoland and Warri etc. Get your glasses Mister! The remaining Royal Niger Company was given up forming Protectorate of Southern Nigeria (just a name change from Niger Coast Protectorate).

2 Likes

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by GAR3TH(m): 9:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:
You are only trying to be mischievous by claiming that the history was confusing. It's as clear as black and white unless you have issue with comprehension.
Protectorate of Southern Nigeria is different from the Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria.

I wasn't claiming the history was confusing I was saying some off the information on the internet was wrong. Some website were taking about the colony & protectorate of S.Nigeria but they kept writing Protectorate of S. Nigeria. If anything I'll admit I was wrong because I'm not like these other Nairaland fools who continues an argument regardless.

On your second point, if you can't read, can't you see too? The map I posted showed clearly that the remaining part of Royal Niger company not yet in control of Niger Coast Protectorate covers just a small area that is Bayelsa. Niger Coast Protectorate included the whole SE, Calabar, Port Harcourt, Ibibio land, Edoland and Warri etc. Get your glasses Mister! The remaining Royal Niger Company was given up forming Protectorate of Southern Nigeria (just a name change from Niger Coast Protectorate).

This is what I'm talking about, various articles state that the Niger Coast Protectorate was located in the Niger Delta and the Royal Niger Company controlled the mainland. It even states that Onitsha was a primary port of the Royal Niger protectorate . Also postal system in Akassa, Calabar, Burutu and Lokoja were part of the Royal Niger Company postal system. I think your map is incorrect and had the two mixed up.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by lagcity(m): 9:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu, you have disease of the mind due to lack of protein during the war. Were you a kwashiorkor baby? Blame Awo, not Sir Egerton grin

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 9:36pm On Aug 15, 2012
GAR3TH:

This is what I'm talking about, various articles state that the Niger Coast Protectorate was located in the Niger Delta and the Royal Niger Company controlled the mainland. It even states that Onitsha was a primary port of the Royal Niger protectorate . Also postal system in Akassa, Calabar, Burutu and Lokoja were part of the Royal Niger Company postal system. I think your map is incorrect and had the two mixed up.

The map was British not a Nigerian map and was made before you were born.
You are wrong and not the map. Calabar, Onitsha, etc used to be under Royal Niger Company which was a company not a protectorate nor a colony. They gave their territories up to the government controlled Niger Coast Protectorate. The last was Bayelsa area forming Protectorate of Southern Nigeria (formerly Niger Coast Protectorate) with capital at Calabar. Niger Coast Protectorate had always had its capital at Calabar.

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

Yes there was Colony of Lagos and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, Colony of Lagos is the present day SW while Protectorate of Southern Nigeria is SE/SS.

You must be high on drugs.As at 1860,lagos was the centre of attraction to the british colonialists including the NIGER RIVER DELTA .In 1861,Lagos became a british colony,an action taken in response to factors such as the disruptions to trade caused by the yoruba wars and fears that france would take over Nigeria.

Lagos was more important to the colonial administration than the southern protectorate itself.Lagos and the southern protectorate were merged due to administrative inconviniency unlike in the 1914 amalgamation,that was done to help out the northern protectorate that were short in resources.

@OP

can you please tell us in which protectorate the present south western states of Ibadan,oyo,ogun,ekiti and osun fall since you are trying to equate southern protectorate with SS and SE alone ?

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by GAR3TH(m): 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

The map was British not a Nigerian map and was made before you were born.
You are wrong and not the map. Calabar, Onitsha, etc used to be under Royal Niger Company which was a company not a protectorate nor a colony. They gave their territories up to the government controlled Niger Coast Protectorate. The last was Bayelsa area forming Protectorate of Southern Nigeria (Formerly Niger Coast Protectorate) with capital at Calabar. Niger Coast Protectorate had always had its capital at Calabar.

Thats my point, It was the Niger Coast protectorate that owned the bayelsa area, they never bought that land from the Royal Niger company because they had always owned it. That is why I said the creator of your map made a mistake, The Royal Niger company never owned the bayelsa area.

Also the map is dated 1898 and the amalgamation happen in 1900. So this map was made before the merge and before the british started buying back the land, meaning the map creator made a mistake.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 9:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
^^^

Follow the thread from the begining.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by sheyguy: 9:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
If it is true the wealth of the present ND and SE was used to develope the West, why did they still choose to go with Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 15, 2012
sheyguy: If it is true the wealth of the present ND and SE was used to develope the West, why did they still choose to go with Nigeria?

Are you sure you really know the source of the wealth of the colonialist ?
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by odumchi: 10:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
The sad part was that we weren't even aware of all this. We all existed in our micro-states while the British cartographers decided our fates.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by amosy007: 10:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
~Bluetooth:

You must be high on drugs.As at 1860,lagos was the centre of attraction to the british colonialists including the NIGER RIVER DELTA .In 1861,Lagos became a british colony,an action taken in response to factors such as the disruptions to trade caused by the yoruba wars and fears that france would take over Nigeria.

Lagos was more important to the colonial administration than the southern protectorate itself.Lagos and the southern protectorate were merged due to administrative inconviniency unlike in the 1914 amalgamation,that was done to help out the northern protectorate that were short in resources.

@OP

can you please tell us in which protectorate the present south western states of Ibadan,oyo,ogun,ekiti and osun fall since you are trying to equate southern protectorate with SS and SE alone ?
lol those one dnt are just there o they are not even part of of nigeria grin

buh seriously do u have to argue dis with him?

D topic doesnt make any sense if u ask me
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 10:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
GAR3TH:

Thats my point, It was the Niger Coast protectorate that owned the bayelsa area, they never bought that land from the Royal Niger company because they had always owned it. That is why I said the creator of your map made a mistake, The Royal Niger company never owned the bayelsa area.

Also the map is dated 1898 and the amalgamation happen in 1900. So this map was made before the merge and before the british started buying back the land, meaning the map creator made a mistake.

The map was dated 1898 because then there was Royal Niger Company. By 1900, Royal Niger Company gave up their last territory to the government controlled Niger Coast Protectorate forming Protectorate of Southern Nigeria. I hate repeating myself.

This is what we have in 1900.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/789954_480317_4359667628276_1152914446_n_jpgb7f450f3191b1c2360cb674fc5f97a67
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by tpia5: 10:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
why dont we go further back.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by tpia5: 10:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
odumchi: The sad part was that we weren't even aware of all this. We all existed in our micro-states while the British cartographers decided our fates.

and whose fault is that?
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 10:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
The truth is that before this confusion was created, we have achieved good relationship in our former territory dealing with each other and with the British, cohabited, and were prosperous. Suddenly, our fate was decided when our capital was moved to Lagos, to a land we have no connection whatsoever with and to a people whose ideology is completely parallel to ours.

We lost our focus.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:25pm On Aug 15, 2012
kunlekunle:

SE,SS, SW are neo political zonal creation during Abacha days.
i never heard of SS, SE or SW in my school days.

in the beginning it was West, mid west East, north . West and East were the southern nigeria.

lagos colony ends at jibowu round about.

Western and Eastern nigeria was formed for economic integration and development to create a southern nigeria.
Northern and southern nigeria was formed because the north had to be subsidised annually from the british govt.This was seen as a stress on their budget so the amalgamation was created to relief the british govt.

^^^@ First bolded: LOL grin shocked

@ Second bolded: What i don't understand is, if the Northern Protectorate was a loss making venture for the British, then why not just let go and tell them bye-bye undecided?......why lump them with the progressive-minded, liberal and wealthy Southern Protectorate undecided?....i mean, to colonise na by force ?

When the time finally came for them to leave in 1960, they didn't unbundle/correct the mistake they made b/4 leaving but saddled the South with a burden they are still suffering the effects of almost a century latter....with millions of lifes lost to the bargain!
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by pluto04(m): 10:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
The colony of Lagos did not include the rest of south west. The rest of south west were pretty much independent until

"After two final incidents, the bombardment of Oyo in 1895 (Ayandele, 1967) and the capture of Ilorin by the Royal Niger Company in 1897, effective colonial control was established throughout most of Yorubaland."

http://www.onwar.com/aced/nation/ink/ibadan/fwestafricanwar1877.htm

This is the same Royal niger company that also controls much of southern nigeria

Lagos, 1861-1906

Slaves freed by the Royal Navy when they captured slave trading vessels in the 1830es settled at the coast of western Nigeria, a.o. at LAGOS; British missionaries and traders followed. In 1851 the Royal Navy interfered in a local power struggle, deposing King Kosoko. In 1861, Britain proclaimed a PROTECTORATE over Lagos to keep Kosoko from coming back.
The climate at Lagos was unhealthy for Europeans; the city long was administrated from Freetown (Sierra Leone), later from Accra (Gold Coast). In 1886, Lagos was declared a separate colony.
Meanwhile, the ROYAL NIGER COMPANY acquired wide lands to the north and east of Lagos, which became part of the NIGER COAST PROTECTORATE in 1894, which was renamed COLONY AND PROTECTORATE OF SOUTHERN NIGERIA in 1900. In 1906, Lagos was integrated into the Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, the capital of which was relocated from Calabar to Lagos.
In 1883 the colony had a size of 189 square km, a population of 87,165 (Meyers).

This is the map as at 1900

[img]http://www.zum.de/whkmla/histatlas/westafrica/nigeria1900.gif[/img]

Southern Nigeria Protectorate, 1899-1914

In 1900 created by integrating some territories of the Royal Niger Company, the charter of which had been withdrawn in 1899, with the Niger Coast Protectorate. In 1906, the colony of Lagos was annexed into Southern Nigeria, now Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria; Lagos became the seat of administration, which until 1906 had been at Old Calabar.
In 1914, Southern and Northern Nigeria were merged to form the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by pluto04(m): 10:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1: The truth is that before this confusion was created, we have achieved good relationship in our former territory dealing with each other and with the British, cohabited, and were prosperous. Suddenly, our fate was decided when our capital was moved to Lagos, to a land we have no connection whatsoever with and to a people whose ideology is completely parallel to ours.

We lost our focus.

The following shows how you have been dealing and enjoying with 'each other' and the British and other Europeans in 'your' capital before all this merging for administrative convenience.

The Royal Niger Company, 1884-1900

A.) The Company's Genesis

British merchant GEORGE T. GOLDIE, active in the lower Niger region since 1877, in 1879 organized the UAC (United Africa Company) which combined British traders active in the Niger region and, in effect, took control of the Lower Niger river. The company was renamed NAC in 1882 and ROYAL NIGER COMPANY in 1886, when it received a CHARTER, placing it formally under British protection and providing it with far-reaching rights, to administrate the territories transferred to it by treaties with native chiefs.

B.) International Recognition of the British/RNC Claim

Since 1884, G. Goldie and his agents acquired treaties from chiefs and emirs along the Niger and Benue rivers, penetrating deep into the territory allocated as British sphere of influence at the Berlin Conference of 1884/85. In its attempt to obtain such treaties, the RNC found itself in competition with French and German agents; the RNC acquired a treaty with Sokoto in 1884 just days before the arrival of a German agent, a treaty with Borgu in 1894 just days before the arrival of a French officer. The British government negotiated the RNC territory's border with German Kamerun (1885, 1886, 1890, 1893). France continued to dispute RNC claims over the interior of Nigeria. In 1892 French Lieutenant Mizon acquired a treaty from the Emir of Muri (on the middle Benue) and hoisted the French flag; France did not support his action and Muri remained within the RNC/British sphere of interest. Only in 1898 was the border with the French possessions fixed by agreement.

C.) RNC Administration

The RNC seat of administration was located at ASABA on the banks of the Niger river. Her military force - the Niger Coast Constabulary - was centered at LOKOJA. The RNC established a network of stations, mainly along the Niger and Benue rivers; RNC control in effect did not reach much beyond the stretches adjacent to navigable rivers - the Niger, Benue, their affluents and river arms (i.e. the territory within the reach of gunboats). The RNC established a rudimentary justice system (a High Court of Justice) and a police force - the constabulary. Its main concern was company trade and the exclusion of foreign competition to their claim of political control.

D.) Reaction of the Natives

Native tribes for generations had traded with European merchants, the basis of that trade being an unwritten agreement : the whites would only trade with their coastal trading partners; the trade with tribes of the interior would be a field reserved for the African trading partners of the Europeans.
The UAC/NAC/RNC, now establishing a number of stations along the Niger and Benue rivers, broke that agreement and thus caused the outbreak of hostilities (Onitsha 1879, Akassa 1882, Niger Delta 1886, an attack by the Brassmen on Akassa 1895).
The standard company response was to dispatch gunboats on punitive expeditions; in these expeditions, Royal Navy vessels were involved.

E.) Economy

The cultivation of plantation products such as palm oil, by natives, in the Niger Delta was encouraged. Otherwise, the RNC policy was to exclude foreign competition in its trade with the natives, by the means of charging high import tariffs (in violation of the Declaration of the Berlin Conference) and by confiscating wares imported in circumvention of these tariffs.
Main import products were cloths and alcoholic beverages.
In 1892 the Royal Niger Company joined the Universal Postal Union.

F.) Civilization

At the Berlin Conference the European powers agreed on ending the slave trade, a policy pursued by the Royal Navy off the West African coast since 1908. Yet the RNC was little able to end the ongoing slave trade within the territory it claimed; its range of action was limited to the areas adjacent to navigable stretches of the rivers.
The RNC supported missionaries, to whom the task was left to "civilize" the natives. Missionaries reported incidents of practices such as cannibalism.
The task to "civilize" the inhabitants within the territory claimed by the company certainly did not feature high on its list of priorities.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by odumchi: 10:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
tpia@:

and whose fault is that?

Take a guess.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 10:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
pluto04: The colony of Lagos did not include the rest of south west. The rest of south west were pretty much independent until

Independent from what? lmao.

Stop deceiving yourself with your revisionism. This is the map as of 1898 by the British. Do you see the territory covered by Colony of Lagos?

Now compare it with 1900 map:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/789954_480317_4359667628276_1152914446_n_jpgb7f450f3191b1c2360cb674fc5f97a67
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 10:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
I know this is a shock to some of you. The fact is that Yoruba land was not part of Southern Nigeria. They are like Southern Cameroun to us, an appendage.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by pluto04(m): 10:59pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

Independent from what? lmao.

Stop deceiving yourself with your revisionism. This is the map as of 1898 by the British. Do you see the territory covered by Colony of Lagos?

Now compare it with 1900 map:

The first map is either incorrect or just not clear. The first map seem to suggest that the rest of present day Nigeria were part of the colony of Lagos. Is that correct?

The second map is not the map as at 1900. The one I posted earlier is the correct map as at 1900. Maybe you need to supply a date for this second map?
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 11:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
pluto04:

The first map is either incorrect or just not clear. The first map seem to suggest that the rest of present day Nigeria were part of the colony of Lagos. Is that correct?

The second map is not the map as at 1900. The one I posted earlier is the correct map as at 1900. Maybe you need to supply a date for this second map?

lmao! He is telling the British they do not know their territory. You people are really funny.
If you cannot see it, drop your phone and use a laptop, enlarge the map, then you will see!

The only deference between 1898 and 1900 maps of Colony of Lagos was that the 1898 map had no upper boundary as of then which was finally established as of 1900.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by pluto04(m): 11:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1: I know this is a shock to some of you. The fact is that Yoruba land was not part of Southern Nigeria. They are like Southern Cameroun to us, an appendage.

Who are the us? British conquered territories? When? How? Where? What do you have in common with those people before the British came?

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 11:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
pluto04:

Who are the us? British conquered territories? When? How? Where? What do you have in common with those people before the British came?

Don't get angry bro, you are not part of Southern Nigeria.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by pluto04(m): 11:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

lmao! He is telling the British they do not know their territory. You people are really funny.
If you cannot see it, drop your phone and use a laptop, enlarge the map, then you will see!

The only deference between 1898 and 1900 maps of Colony of Lagos was that the 1898 map has no upper boundary as of then which was finally established as of 1900.
I am using a laptop. Your maps are not clear or simply irrelevant to your arguments. You're grasping at straws. I'm done with this conversation.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 11:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
"The three contiguous British territories of the Niger – the Lagos Colony and Protectorate, and the Protectorates of Northern and Southern Nigeria – provide a fascinating case study of the way in which these contiguous British administrations conducted relations with each other very much as would friendly (and sometimes not so friendly) sovereign states with particular concerns, boundaries and ways of life to defend.

...The three British colonial possessions of the Niger that were amalgamated between 1906 and 1914 each had a different origin which helped determine the specific character they quickly developed under their British administrators. The oldest of the three was the Lagos Colony and Protectorate, dating back to 1861 when the British occupied the island-port of Lagos to put an end to its involvement in the slave trade and to protect British commercial and evangelical interests in the hinterland. The subsequent occupation of its hinterland was accomplished in the last decade of the nineteenth century, mainly peacefully through treaties with the kings of the Yoruba states who made [b][/b]up this largely ethnically homogenous, though politically fragmented, territory. A substantial group of Yoruba-speaking people were, however, included in the Northern Protectorate since in the early nineteenth century they had incorporated into Ilorin, one of the constituent emirates of the great Sokoto Caliphate, whose lands comprised nearly two-thirds of that Protectorate. A small group of Yoruba were to be found in the extreme western areas of the Southern Nigerian Protectorate. Lagos island itself and a small part of the mainland had the status of a Crown Colony with its own Executive and Legislative Council established at the time of the British occupation in 1861, while the larger hinterland was a British Protectorate.

...To the east of the Lagos Colony and Protectorate lay the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, much of which in 1900 still had to be conquered or, in British colonial parlance, ‘pacified’. This Protectorate, formed from the old Niger Coast Protectorate and part of the lands of the Royal Niger Company, whose status as a Charter Company with the right to administer territory on behalf of the Crown had been withdrawn the year before, comprised a multitude of different ethnic groups. Its origins went back to the mid-nineteenth century when British consular officials began to exercise authority over certain coastal states in an attempt to suppress the slave trade and protect the interests of British palm-oil merchants. It was ruled from Old Calabar in the far south-eastern corner of the territory by Sir Ralph Moor."

Link
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 11:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
The Colony of Lagos had much more administrative relationship with Ghana than they ever did with Southern Nigeria before this silly 1906 amalgamation that took control of our own territory and destiny and gave it to strangers.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by PhysicsQED(m): 12:01am On Aug 16, 2012
It seems like the people of the Lagos Colony and Protectorate really lost the most by that amalgamation. If they had been left like that and not merged with the adjacent British protectorates, they would basically have had an ethnically homogenous country by the time decolonization started. Oh well.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 12:05am On Aug 16, 2012
PhysicsQED: It seems like the people of the Lagos Colony and Protectorate really lost the most by that amalgamation. If they had been left like that and not merged with the adjacent British protectorates, they would basically have had an ethnically homogenous country by the time decolonization started. Oh well.

Exactly but they don't want that because of the economic and political gain they obtained from the amalgamation. We lost our capital and control of our politics and economy.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by odumchi: 12:07am On Aug 16, 2012
Obiagu1: We lost our capital and control of our politics and economy

Exactly what control did "we" lose?
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 12:11am On Aug 16, 2012
odumchi:

Exactly what control did "we" lose?

Now we are begging for seaports, airports, etc. Oil company headquarters were all moved to Lagos. We lost everything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Baraje-led PDP Faction A Fraud - Falana / Gunmen Attack Policewoman In Delta, Snatch Ballot Materials / Terrorists Invade Kaduna Community On Christmas Day, Kill Resident, Abduct 45

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.