Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,045 members, 7,810,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

* - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / * (7563 Views)

What Has Life Taught You So Far? / 'jesus And Islam' According To The Bible- Be The Judge / Why They Were Taught To Die Fighting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

* by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
Should it? Considering that it contains things like this:

Ezekiel 23:20
For she lusted after her lovers, whose flesh were like those of donkeys and whose spërm was like that of horses.
Ezekiel 23:21
So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, in bruising thy brëasts by the Egyptians for the paps of thy youth.

Other sëxually explicit verses:

Songs of Solomon 8:1-3
If only you were to me like a brother, who was nursed at my mother's breasts! Then if I found you outside, I would kiss you, and no one would despise me. I would lead you and bring you to my mother's house. She who has taught me. I would give you spiced wine to drink, the nectar of my pomegranates. His left arm up under my head and his right arm embraces me.

Genesis 38: 8-10
....and Onan knew that the seed should not be his, and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

Judges 19: 24-29
Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now and humble ye them, and do with them what seemth good unto you, but unto this man do not so like a thing. But the men would not hearken to him so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night untill the morning and when the day began to spring, they let her go.

Gore in the Bible:

Hosea 13: 16
....for she has gone against her God: they will be cut down by the sword, their little children will be broken on the racks, their women who are with child will be cut open.

Isiah 13: 16
Their young children will be broken up before their eyes, their goods will be taken away and their wives made the property of others.

Judges 4: 21
Then Jael Heber's wife took a nail of a tent, and took an hammer in her hand and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground, for he was fast asleep and weary so he died.

Do we really want children picturing the horrifying depictions of gore and the descriptions of immorality in those verses when they read them?
Should they be exposed to these and similar verses by teaching them the Bible?

1 Like

Re: * by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
Yes , nothing wrong with them.

Only a pervert will read perversion into these verses.

These were scripture condemning the wicked behaviour of the Israelites while in some other cases portraying the meaning and consequence of true Love.

Quite different from factual evidence that proves that some religions sanction paedophilia in the physical life and a brothel in paradise.

3 Likes

Re: * by Bella3(f): 5:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel: Yes , nothing wrong with them.

These were scripture condemning the wicked behaviour of the Israelites while in some other cases portraying the meaning and consequence of true Love.

Quite different from factual evidence that proves that some religions sanction paedophilia in the physical life and a brothel in paradise.
bless you!
Re: * by kokabiel(f): 5:56pm On Aug 15, 2012
I think Religion should be taught to all children. (until they are grown-up enough to make a choice if to continue or change course. I prefer Christianity because it is so simple and yet so powerful does not preach race-hating or ethnic intolerance at least not with the zeal and passion one particular Religion does.
Re: * by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel: Yes , nothing wrong with them.

Oh frosbel. . . .sad
Why the self delusion?
E_monkey:
Songs of Solomon 8:1-3
If only you were to me like a brother, who was nursed at my mother's breasts! Then if I found you outside, I would kiss you, and no one would despise me. I would lead you and bring you to my mother's house. She who has taught me. I would give you spiced wine to drink, the nectar of my pomegranates. His left arm up under my head and his right arm embraces me.

Genesis 38: 8-10
....and Onan knew that the seed should not be his, and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

Judges 19: 24-29
Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now and humble ye them, and do with them what seemth good unto you, but unto this man do not so like a thing. But the men would not hearken to him so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night untill the morning and when the day began to spring, they let her go.

Gore in the Bible:

Hosea 13: 16
....for she has gone against her God: they will be cut down by the sword, their little children will be broken on the racks, their women who are with child will be cut open.

Isiah 13: 16
Their young children will be broken up before their eyes, their goods will be taken away and their wives made the property of others.

Judges 4: 21
Then Jael Heber's wife took a nail of a tent, and took an hammer in her hand and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground, for he was fast asleep and weary so he died
Re: * by Bella3(f): 6:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
E_monkey:

Oh frosbel. . . .sad
Why the self delusion?
when i was about] nine, i read those verses nd undastood them, so i gues if u trained ur children wel, they wil understand.
Re: * by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
^Really? How do you train your children to understand verses like these:
Song of Songs 1: 13
A bundle of myrrh is my well beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my brëasts
4:5
Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins which feed among the lilies
7:1
How beautiful are thy feet with shoes, O prince's daughter! The joints of thy thighs are like jewels, the work of the hands of a cunning workman.
Are we supposed to teach kids to understand lustful, lecherous behaviour and physical descriptions of sëxual acts?
More

Malachi 2:3
Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.

^^^What should one think of a book that describes smearing of feces upon people's faces? Such vulgarity can hardly give good example to high morality. The verse below goes further to talk about eating feces:

Ezekiel 4: 12
And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight. And the Lord said, even thus shall the children of Israel eat their defiled bread among the Gentiles, whither I will drive them.
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: * by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
E_monkey: ^Really? How do you train your children to understand verses like these:
Song of Songs 1: 13
A bundle of myrrh is my well beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my brëasts
4:5
Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins which feed among the lilies
7:1
How beautiful are thy feet with shoes, O prince's daughter! The joints of thy thighs are like jewels, the work of the hands of a cunning workman.
Are we supposed to teach kids to understand lustful, lecherous behaviour and physical descriptions of sëxual acts?
More

Malachi 2:3
Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.

^^^What should one think of a book that describes smearing of feces upon people's faces? Such vulgarity can hardly give good example to high morality. The verse below goes further to talk about eating feces:

Ezekiel 4: 12
And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight. And the Lord said, even thus shall the children of Israel eat their defiled bread among the Gentiles, whither I will drive them.
embarassed embarassed embarassed

To you they may appear sexually perverse but to us they are fine when interpreted in the right context.

Wrenching them out of context to score a point is not a surprise.

1 Like

Re: * by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel:
To you they may appear sexually perverse but to us they are fine when interpreted in the right context.

Wrenching them out of context to score a point is not a surprise.
So what about Song of Songs? What other context can possibly give it a different meaning?
I can understand your unwillingness to admit that something is wrong with those verses. Seeing as how that would be tantamount to admitting that something is wrong with your Bible.
Re: * by Bella3(f): 8:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
E_monkey:
So what about Song of Songs? What other context can possibly give it a different meaning?
I can understand your unwillingness to admit that something is wrong with those verses. Seeing as how that would be tantamount to admitting that something is wrong with your Bible.
why teach ur children the bible when u are nt christain? Leave christains to worry about that. After al puberty are nt taught to children until they are in js3.

1 Like

Re: * by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
Bélla3: why teach ur children the bible when u are nt christain? Leave christains to worry about that. After al puberty are nt taught to children until they are in js3.
@bold,
What if I decide to become a Christian tomorrow? How would I know what I am supposed to do if I don't ask questions?
And why should we postpone teaching children the Bible for when they approach puberty? Hmm? Is it because not doing so is going to corrupt their minds?
Re: * by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
E_monkey:
@bold,
What if I decide to become a Christian tomorrow? How would I know what I am supposed to do if I don't ask questions?
And why should we postpone teaching children the Bible for when they approach puberty? Hmm? Is it because not doing so is going to corrupt their minds?

You sir are the one with an impure heart reading meanings of a s.exual nature into passages that have to do with :

1. Love
2. Punishment
3. Rebuke

Context is the key.

For example when you read the entire chapter , these verses begin to make sense , especially when many of the terms used are allegorical representations of a serious matter ,that have to be portrayed with enormity and on a graphic scale. This makes it easier for people to grasp the wickedness of their sin and how God views such evil behaviour.

2 Likes

Re: * by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel:

You sir are the one with an impure heart reading meanings of a s.exual nature into passages that have to do with :

1. Love
2. Punishment
3. Rebuke

Context is the key.

For example when you read the entire chapter , these verses begin to make sense , especially when many of the terms used are allegorical representations of a serious matter ,that have to be portrayed with enormity and on a graphic scale. This makes it easier for people to grasp the wickedness of their sin and how God views such evil behaviour.
Like I said before, I understand your unwillingness to agree that those verses are rather graphic, so your excuses do not surprise me.
As for Song of songs, why was it revealed exactly? Unless that part of the Bible was made up by man and not revealed by God.

2 Likes

Re: * by CrazyMan(m): 9:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
@Poster have you forgottet Joshua 1:8
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

I can now see why so many churches mislead people these days. You prefer to read areas in the bible that suit your lifestyle and the most important ones, you would ignore them.

May God forgive you.
Re: * by Bella3(f): 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
E_monkey:
@bold,
you start teaching them the bible as early as they can understand nd learn nd perhaps reserve these part which u as THE parent dnt knw or understand. We start teaching our kids science so early, but we dnt tel them about sex, conception nd so on do we?
Besides as a True christain we trust in the Holy Spirit to help in our homes nd teaching our kids. So when you become a Christain, the holy spirit wil guide you.
Re: * by MacDaddy01: 10:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
Frosbel is an 1diot.

There is no doubt in my mind.

Frosbel, while you are at it, why not teach your children how to be muderers;

Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests
Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

Kill Witches
You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

Kill Homosexuals
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers
A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

1 Like

Re: * by Nobody: 12:27am On Aug 16, 2012
MacDaddy01: Frosbel is an 1diot.
There is no doubt in my mind.
Frosbel, while you are at it, why not teach your children how to be muderers;
Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests
(Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

Kill Witches
(Exodus 22:17 NAB)

Kill Homosexuals
Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers
Leviticus 20:27 NAB)
You are wasting your time. Frosbel has already declared that these things should be taught to children on a graphic scale in order to let them 'grasp the wickedness of their sin and how God views such evil behaviour'.
Bélla3: you start teaching them the bible as early as they can understand nd learn nd perhaps reserve these part which u as THE parent dnt knw or understand. We start teaching our kids science so early, but we dnt tel them about sex, conception nd so on do we?
Besides as a True christain we trust in the Holy Spirit to help in our homes nd teaching our kids. So when you become a Christain, the holy spirit wil guide you.
At least your own answer is better than frosbel's that said teaching these things to kids is ok.
Re: * by Nobody: 12:30am On Aug 16, 2012
Bélla3: you start teaching them the bible as early as they can understand nd learn nd perhaps reserve these part which u as THE parent dnt knw or understand. We start teaching our kids science so early, but we dnt tel them about sex, conception nd so on do we?
@bold,
Holy spirit is always telling people different things, like to spend the church money buying private jets or to kill child witches in Akwa Ibom. How can we trust that same Holy spirit to guide us on how we train our children?

1 Like

Re: * by Bella3(f): 2:24am On Aug 16, 2012
E_monkey:
@bold,
Holy spirit is always telling people different things, like to spend the church money buying private jets or to kill child witches in Akwa Ibom. How can we trust that same Holy spirit to guide us on how we train our children?
and these people told u the holy spirit directed them? FAIL
Re: * by Nobody: 10:02am On Aug 16, 2012
Bélla3: and these people told u the holy spirit directed them? FAIL
What makes you say this?
Re: * by Kress(m): 12:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
Of course it should, this is a no brainer.
Re: * by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
I'd rather my kid be a taoist or hindu or buddhist than christian or muslim.
Re: * by ismhab(m): 12:54pm On Aug 16, 2012
BIG NO.
Re: * by Agiliti(m): 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
Re: * by wandeay: 1:02pm On Aug 16, 2012
yes oooooooo, teach ur children in the way they should walk, if they grow up, they wont depart from it
Re: * by Dambudzo: 1:08pm On Aug 16, 2012
Re: * by Eltonluigi(m): 1:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
No, the bible should only be used as a áss wipe.
Re: * by Temismith(f): 1:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
With d way tins re goin now, dey shud be taught from inception. So dat wen dey see d tins happpenin in d world, dey wil know wher to stand and wat to do or not to do.
Re: * by boyendowed(m): 1:19pm On Aug 16, 2012
Nairaland continues the war on Christianity.
Re: * by MacDaddy01: 1:25pm On Aug 16, 2012
boyendowed: Nairaland continues the war on Christianity.

persecution-complex!

victim mentality!

Abeg, commot for road! Were you under a rock when your christian brothers were releasing threads calling atheists fools and immoral or even attacking muslims?
Re: * by madeinnigeria: 1:34pm On Aug 16, 2012
E-MONKEY na which kind thing be dis? Na which kind question you dey ask.so na only dis one you dey select for bible ehn..no teach dem na..u fit kuku dey teach them HINT magazine

cheesy
Re: * by mamiel: 1:38pm On Aug 16, 2012
@ e..monkey. Take this as an advise, behind every religion is a spirit -christianity, islam, hindu, even african traditional worship and what have u. When u become a christian (just like any other religion) the Holy Spirit,if u request of him, will possess you and that is the only time u can truly understand the bible. So I understand ur plight in comprehending d scriptures as an unbeliever. But it won't make any difference for u to try to degrade d bible by ur posting for two reasons. (1.) A true christian will only read it and laugh at ur understanding. (2.) an unbeliever may concur with u, bt d day he or she recieves d Holy Spirit, his understanding will be enlighten and all ur views will no longer make a meaning to him. God bless u.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians - Please HELP!! / Everyone Has An Everlasting Home After Death, It's Either Heaven Or Hell / Ifa Of The Year 2010: Ose Obara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.