Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,002 members, 7,838,515 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? (11030 Views)

Senators Push Back Against Saraki’s Intrigues, Use Of Senate To Fight,. / Igboukwu - Igboland: Beautiful Rooftops But Decayed Interior. / Patrice Lumumba:a True African Hero Of Pan-africanism(2 July 1925 – 17 Jan 1961) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Talk about lying. . . . lol. The irony of life.

Yeah. I'm sure that looking yourself in the face you knew what you said was oxymoronic, deliberating placing SE in the position of SW.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 16, 2012
mbatuku2:

Yeah. I'm sure that looking yourself in the face you knew what you said was oxymoronic, deliberating placing SE in the position of SW.

Will you go and sleep? Do you need apple sauce ni?
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Will you go and sleep? Do you need apple sauce ni?

Sleep? While I knew a troll is let on loose. I have no business sleeping while an enemy bigot is awake. grin
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by sulex947(m): 8:36am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Last time I checked, zinc sheet rooftops were all over Nigeria, so try again.

What's Texas got to do with this? I'm not even in texas homie, checking again, my profile said "Ekiti".

We'll get there, but we've been getting there for 40 years now. I think people are still building new homes with these irritating rooftops.

we would appriciate if you dont mind replacing those affected houses in state at ur own expense, shebi e dey irritate ur eye?
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by queensmith: 8:43am On Aug 16, 2012
Ikengawo:

look at the typical american home compared to the typical nigerian one. I can tell you it's cheaper to build the home above then your average lower income working class nigerian one because the americans build smarter

An american home is made of plastic, paper, wood, what is essentially chalk and nails.
the entire thing. For novelty they'll use brick to make it have a particular look, but the bricks are small, palm sized and cheap unlike the nigerian bricks which are giant, expensive (for a brick) and damn near impossible to move around without straining yourself.

the american brick can fit in one hand.

And i dont know why nigeria uses such ridiculous bricks because you have to use more sand and less cement to produce several that are that size. and factories can't produce them cause they're hard to transport.

the same dumb building goes into nigerian roofs. The American roof is paper tar and sand. That's it. How can weather destroy sand? which sand in front of your house has been destroyed before? Use common sense

Nigerians build homes like they're preparing for a train to run through them. In all reality you don't need such a bulky reinforced home. What what? so that it can echo? boko haram?

This is an american roof. It can endure more weather then what nigeria has ever experienced. It can go through hail, rain, sleet, snow, thunder, extreme cold, extreme heat, hurricane, tornado, etc because america gets all of that weather.

You don't need ugly sheet metal roofs that are expensive anyways. Wht not build the same thing out of plastic? what has your roof endured that plastic won't tolerate? rain?

the japanese build homes out of paper and there's no weather they endure that we don't. Did our ancestors not build roofs out of grass?

I'm not sure the homes in the US and the uk aren't built a particular way to conserve heat? That will definitely be a bad idea in Nigeria. But what you said about the bricks make alot of sense! Not actually a bad business idea too- green homes, save cash, save the earth make lots of money! lol
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by ayobase(m): 8:49am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
It's really irritating to look at.

I think it's about time to start outlawing it on home/building constructions.

We start from Ekiti then.
I think it should be based on town planning rules.....Rural will still be allowed, but Urban, location matters.
Its so odd seeing it while watching Nigeria documentary....Na so we ugly from the top?
It cant be done away without though, not everyone can afford these new ones!

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by RichDad1(m): 8:51am On Aug 16, 2012
Ikengawo:
If you can't afford to build a home don't build a home. It's that simple and it's unfortunate but that's the facts of life.
In Nigeria people that can't afford to build homes ties trash together in the middle of a pedestrian walk way and call it a home. that's insanity. Yes it's unfortunate for the poor but if you're poor you're poor, and you're going to have to find an alternative like renting an apartment.

here in the US most ppl can't afford to own a home. I feel it's not nigeria's fault though. People don't have access to loans in nigeria where in the US that's how 98% of ppl buy homes. The remaining 2% are over night billionaires, atheletes, stars and executives. Even doctors buy houses with loans here and they make several million naira annually.
SHAME ON YOU angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Arosa(m): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2012
Nice topic.
Clay has been used as a roofing material since before the dawn of civilization. The clay products commonly found at archeological sites can be thousands of years old, and are a testament to the durability and long life of clay--two excellent qualities in a roofing material. Because clay tiles come in many different shapes, sizes, colors, and styles, you are likely to find a tile that suits your structure perfectly.
Insulating Properties
One of the advantages of clay tiles that has kept them a staple for centuries is the ability of clay to insulate, keeping inside temperatures warm in winter and cool in summer. Combined with a natural ability to reflect, instead of absorb, heat from the sun, clay tiles can reduce the energy required to maintain comfortable temperatures in your home. Clay roofs are very common in the American Southwest, where staying cool is in many areas a year-round battle. An additional advantage is that clay tiles allow air to circulate both above and below them, creating an insulating cushion of air between the tiles and the roof deck that further increases the insulating ability of the roof as a whole.

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by yemmy19(m): 9:40am On Aug 16, 2012
MacLovington: .

Ileke, are you going to give people money to replace those zinc roofing sheets all over Ibadan?

People can even build a house to live in and you're not happy. You want us to turn to Texas overnight, bah?

Na step by step o my dear, we'll get there one day. Amen.
Surprised too
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Emusan(m): 9:53am On Aug 16, 2012
yeye4live: I tink woven craft n clay shud b introduce bak
i support dat infact mak we continue wit tent roof
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by mikolo80: 10:11am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens . . . should not have this much oil

A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens . . . .should not have a president spending funds to take 106 crook politicians to Brazil.

A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens .. . .should not have politicians building mansions for themselves at home and international.

A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens . . . should not politicians illegally allocating lands to their family and friends.

A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens . . . .should not have crook politicians walking the street in broad daylight.

But guess what. . . .

AVOIDABLE,REALLY. ANYWAY JUST PAINT THE RUSTED ROOFS.EASY-PEASY OR EVEN STONE COAT THEM.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Pakavy(m): 10:30am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Abeg which weather? US states along the equator (like Nigeria) use the same tar rooftops.
but different climates nah,US is in d temperate region while naija is in d tropics.d heat alone upnorth go melt d tar

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Abagworo(m): 10:40am On Aug 16, 2012
I don't often see new houses with corrugated iron nowadays. At least in Owerri and Port-Harcourt. Mostly what we call "step tiles" which consists of metals coated with silicon granules or Painted aluminium in some cases.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 16, 2012
Pakavy: but different climates nah,US is in d temperate region while naija is in d tropics.d heat alone upnorth go melt d tar

Abi o. Some people just want to do copycats without knowing if it's the best for them. No wonder you see some silly nigerians building houses with black roofs! You dont build houses with bad roofs (tar)in the tropics. Black body absorbs heat. You should build with a material that can reflect heat back to the atmosphere, not absorb it into the building.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 16, 2012
Adeniyi A.:

guy, the remaining one in ur house don finish...
yes o...u fit borrow me small make i take hold belle
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by member479760: 11:24am On Aug 16, 2012
OP is just another low-thinker fellow like the FG expecting outlaw of metal rooftops without alternatives. One should task those hingineers to come out with something base on Naija conditions and affordable and see if people no go rush the thing.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by GAR3TH(m): 11:26am On Aug 16, 2012
mbatuku2:

Abi o. Some people just want to do copycats without knowing if it's the best for them. No wonder you see some silly nigerians building houses with black roofs! You dont build houses with bad roofs (tar)in the tropics. Black body absorbs heat. You should build with a material that can reflect heat back to the atmosphere, not absorb it into the building.

Actually its not tar its Asphalt shingles that homes in the USA use and they come in different colors, not just black. You can use Asphalt shingles in tropical zone as is the case with Florida, Texas and a few Mexican surburbs. But like someone already said, clay roof tiles are the best options mainly for the material properties.

But what I find striking is that many Nigerian homes dont have insulation of any kind. Insulation is not just for cold climates its also for hot climates. It helps keep the cool air inside of your home longer and reduces the chances of thermal bridging.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by andyanders: 12:31pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
It's really irritating to look at.

I think it's about time to start outlawing it on home/building constructions.

Having gone through your post, I think maybe or maybe not you have or don't own or have not built one yourself.

From the beginning of creation, not all fingers are equal. Maybe you are privileged to have come from a home where you have a well designed home, built by your father or maybe one of those pen robbers in Abuja, or our Honorable thieves in the house of Ass and Rep., who steal money with impunity.
Listen, Nigerians love good things but our leaders has made things hard for the common man to meet up with his responsibilities, hence the kind of pan rooftops you see. There are people who suffer to gather their money to get a land and to erect something to cover their heads. Not that they like it, but because of their situation and now you want the government to kill them bu ordering for those houses to be destroyed? Tray.understand the nation we are in and watch what you say. I knew how much I spent in putting up a 5 bedroom and 2 RM BQ
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by komengo: 8:00pm On Aug 16, 2012
[/color][color=#770077]For ur roof and building solutions pls check www.nigeritelimited.com. We stopped absetos morethand 12 yrs ago. Very affordable and durable products and YES I am a Prodcution engr dere so I knw wat am saying.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by PhysicsQED(m): 11:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ikengawo:
We're building hideous cities. If our cities were clean and used modern ideas the people would respect it and themselves a lot more. When people enter a clean bathroom they clean up any mess they may have made, when the enter a dirty one they'll piss anyhow and go home.

On second thought, these roofs do need to be phased out somehow.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by urchmanx(m): 11:23pm On Aug 20, 2012
Some people make comments without reason. Someone here made a very good observation about building. Most people thought that zinc is cheap but there are smarter ways of building that is far more cheaper with good material that can last longer and cheaper above all withstand different weather conditions. Although most of the technology is not easily available in Nigeria. That those not mean that we should be blind about it. Sometimes I wonder what happened to our building codes. Zinc should be banned if possible. People should look for more affective ways to build.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by ektbear: 11:25pm On Aug 20, 2012
Unless it is your own money being spent roofing a house, then I honestly don't see how it should concern you.

Let people live their lives, you live yours
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Omogaju: 2:35am On Jan 28, 2013
We should have the grandfather law. We can have a by-law that mandates new home to be built with a different kind of material, while existing home can remain as is.

Looks like we all agree that the zinc metal does look ugly. Whoever came up with that for an envirtonment such as ours didn't do a lot of research. Zinc will always corrode given the right conditions and it corrodes it starts to leak meaning high cost of maintenance.On the long run it might be more expensive than paying upfront for a more decent material.
Ileke-IdI:
LOL . . . .

Nigeria should outlaw construct companies from using such zinc-whatever rooftops, but if the owners wants it by force, they should be given a time limit to replace their rooftops.

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 3:59am On Jan 28, 2013
Apart from just the dirty and bad look of zinc roofing, it's extremely dangerous in times of strong wind. Clay tiles can't pull of from roof but metal sheets nailed can rust, tear and get blown away by wind. The best option is either wood or clay/concrete..

Why don't Nigerians like roof terrace though? It no only save money, it gives the house a classic look but you get space at the top of your house. You can have a swimking pool at the top, a garden, a glass room/bar.. All these are cheaper than roofing and gives houses better looks/class..

As you see, other parts of the world have creative use for terrace rather than just seal it off and call it roof lol...

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Ikengawo: 2:20pm On Jan 28, 2013
queensmith:

I'm not sure the homes in the US and the uk aren't built a particular way to conserve heat? That will definitely be a bad idea in Nigeria. But what you said about the bricks make alot of sense! Not actually a bad business idea too- green homes, save cash, save the earth make lots of money! lol

They are, but i didn't include the heat preservation measures in the list of ideas we can borrow. They use insulation (stuffing hollow walls with a cotton like fibre), build with wood, and keep their ceilings fairly low. Rooms are also a lot smaller, and passages such as doors equally thin and small. Many doors have two layers, an actual door and a glass or plastic door in front of it.

but we don't need these things. building with concrete keeps a house cool, but we don't need to use such large bricks. Metal roofs actual radiate heat and make the general area hotter, in dense concentration they become like a second sun.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Ikengawo: 2:27pm On Jan 28, 2013
Abagworo: I don't often see new houses with corrugated iron nowadays. At least in Owerri and Port-Harcourt. Mostly what we call "step tiles" which consists of metals coated with silicon granules or Painted aluminium in some cases.

That's good, i think they're really a thing of the past so the government have to move to pressure those that already have them to get them replaced. If anything offer a subsidy they can use to buy a cheap alternative. Commission our universities to develop an alternative that can roof a house for under N10,000 and resist heat, that's easy to install

I also feel the Nigerian government can commission the development of a malaria resistant paint and make it mandatory that all buildings have to repaint by the end of this year and get clearance. If we have entire cities coated in a paint that repeals mosquitos our cities, will work as giant mosquito replents.
As africans we're blessed by the fact that malaria is our only real concern as far as environmental health. Unfortunately as irresponsible citizens and governments we have created man made disasters for ourselves that attract easily combated ailments.

if we can all use a cheap mosquito repellent paint our hospitals, which deal with malaria 80% of the time, will be given space to combat everything else to a greater extent and you see life expectancy in Nigeria jump significantly
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by anulaxad(m): 8:40am On Jan 29, 2013
Ikengawo:

oboy it's not because of patriotism that you'll lie to yourself

this is a city in bhutan, which is several times poorer than nigeria

and this is Nigeria

We're building hideous cities. If our cities were clean and used modern ideas the people would respect it and themselves a lot more. When people enter a clean bathroom they clean up any mess they may have made, when the enter a dirty one they'll piss anyhow and go home.

Why do nigerians feel they're the only people alive that have to go through hardship. Is it cheap to buy a house anywhere? i'll tell you buying land and building a house is several times cheaper in Nigeria than in America. All these babalowos that come back from the US and build mansions, if you see the boxes they're living in and calling homes in the US you'll laugh, and this is with the same money. It's not cheap to build a home or buy one anywhere, but it's no excuse to keep rubbishing your country. If nigeria looked better people would behave better. Compare Onitsha street behavior to Abuja street behavior or Calabar street behavior to the was people act in Ibadan. Even look at the difference in people's behavior in Oshodi before and after the clean up.

loooooooooooooooooooool this too funny.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Labour Party Chairman’s Wife Kidnapped By Gunmen / Why We Barred Females From Wearing Trousers In Offices – Plateau Govt / A Tribute To Late President Umaru Musa Yaradua!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.