Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,753 members, 7,862,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:28 PM

Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? (11048 Views)

Senators Push Back Against Saraki’s Intrigues, Use Of Senate To Fight,. / Igboukwu - Igboland: Beautiful Rooftops But Decayed Interior. / Patrice Lumumba:a True African Hero Of Pan-africanism(2 July 1925 – 17 Jan 1961) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by princeFAD: 4:15am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Last time I checked, zinc sheet rooftops were all over Nigeria, so try again.

What's Texas got to do with this? I'm not even in texas homie, checking again, my profile said "Ekiti".

We'll get there, but we've been getting there for 40 years now. I think people are still building new homes with these irritating rooftops.

Haaaaa ileke idi. Texas is used idiomatically in d statement and doesnt mean that u are actually leaving in Texas
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by mahel: 4:35am On Aug 16, 2012
[quote author=Ikengawo]
If you can't afford to build a home don't build a home. It's that simple and it's unfortunate but that's the facts of life.
In Nigeria people that can't afford to build homes ties trash together in the middle of a pedestrian walk way and call it a home. that's insanity. Yes it's unfortunate for the poor but if you're poor you're poor, and you're going to have to find an alternative like renting an apartment.
This person well so
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by davidif: 4:58am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
It's really irritating to look at.

I think it's about time to start outlawing it on home/building constructions.

Oh please! Well excuse me Mrs. High and Mighty, why don't you get off your high horse. What an elitist comment. What is it? because you are now leaving in Yankee you can now thumb your nose at the rest of those back home shebi?
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by bayooz(m): 5:15am On Aug 16, 2012
Well said. The fact is that the cheap mentality of Nigerians also add to our problem. As at last week, k-star corrugated iron sheets was #11,600 while the Midgad zinc was #12,800 per bundle. The paint coated started from 14,800 in Ibadan. Apart from government facilitated poverty, our attitude to life could determine our altitude. It is like issue with asbestos, PVC and suspended ceilings. The cost margin eventually is not very large but the health factor is important. grin

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by ektbear: 5:35am On Aug 16, 2012
I think that in general, people should live their lives, and let others live their own
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 5:35am On Aug 16, 2012
davidif:

Oh please! Well excuse me Mrs. High and Mighty, [b]why don't you get off your high horse. [/b]What an elitist comment. What is it? because you are now leaving in Yankee you can now thumb your nose at the rest of those back home shebi?

Why would I want to do that? From riding on my high horse, I was able to see to rusting rooftops clearly.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_RjVscSWW_oY/S9i5tKiaiuI/AAAAAAAAAJk/Esv1LgrBDW4/s1600/high_horse.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 5:37am On Aug 16, 2012
ekt_bear: I think that in general, people should live their lives, and let others live their own

If people should live their life, why don't we just release the criminals from jail. I mean, they were living their lives.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by ektbear: 6:06am On Aug 16, 2012
err. think a bit harder about why that particular example is not relevant to what you quoted
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 6:10am On Aug 16, 2012
ekt_bear: err. think a bit harder about why that particular example is not relevant to what you quoted

How so? Are we being subjective on what lives we think we should let people live?
Criminals were living their illegal lives, no? We should also let people live their lives when they want to throw trash on the street and inside the gutters.
There are guidelines and laws in society (for betterment of the community) that tells people how to "live their life".
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by AdeniyiA(m): 6:39am On Aug 16, 2012
the.game:
How does this affect the price of garri!!!!...Eh
guy, the remaining one in ur house don finish...
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by AdeniyiA(m): 6:45am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

If people should live their life, why don't we just release the criminals from jail. I mean, they were living their lives.
LMAOLOL! *answer hot iron as my phone rang* no kill person o ULEKE UDI
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by qualitec: 6:50am On Aug 16, 2012
The problem is information. People biliv to use long span aluminium roofing sheets is so for the rich but that's all farce!
A simple 3bedroom flat using aluminium covering may not even take u 600k to cover. I knw ds cos i'm into it. While asbestos slates may cost like 500k. People needs to be properly informed.
Call the numbers is my signature to take measurement of your roof so as to give u the exact amount needed to finish it(your quotation). Where ever u might be staying in nigeria. Transportation to take measurements of your roof before quotation is at the expense of the company, you jst make the call. Check my profile for more. Thanks
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by odumchi: 6:58am On Aug 16, 2012
How does someone's roof being unsightly affect you? I can even have a thatch roof if it pleases me.

Besides, thinking logistically, do you know how much time and money it will take to replace every single zinc roof in Nigeria? Will you build temporary shelters as people's roofs are replaced?
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 16, 2012
Make una go ask "Roof-top MCs" about their take on this matter...Me i don sign out
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:05am On Aug 16, 2012
funny topic, but thought provoking.

u can always trust nigerians to justify what they do.

truth is foriegn homes have to endure worse weather than nigerian homes ever will. and if they can be built with paper, sand, tar, plywood etc then those materials will definitely serve in nigeria too.

i think what we need to find out is if it will be cheaper in nigeria compared with what we use at present.

i know a prefab building company that is new in nigeria and say they can deliver a 2-bedroom structure with 1.1 million naira! at present they are trying to collaborate with some banks to build estates in lekki.

so who knows, ileke may have a point. but of course expect all the engineers and folks with entrenched interest in the status quo to put it down vehemently
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 7:06am On Aug 16, 2012
odumchi: How does someone's roof being unsightly affect you? I can even have a thatch roof if it pleases me.

Besides, thinking logistically, do you know how much time and money it will take to replace every single zinc roof in Nigeria? Will you build temporary shelters as people's roofs are replaced?

Mr. Logistic, check the post again, no one talked about replacement. We're talking about the newly constructed buildings, esp homes. Eventually, the old ones will fall, and new ones shall rise (lol).

How does me throwing trash all over the street affect you?
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 7:08am On Aug 16, 2012
I have a deep interest in materials science. Some of the important factors we learnt from school when carrying out construction are: (1) cost (2) availability of the material (3) functionality.

Except in the very poor villages, most of the towns now build with aluminium roofs which I feel is too expensive since that stuff is not available in Nigeria but imported. Personally, I would have loved to see plastic roofs made from all the rubbish plastic containers that are littering the streets. That would be very available, durable, cheap and also clean our environment. But we dont not have such technology.

I really find it annoying when people try to compare Nigeria with other countries. Every society should learn to use what they have to do their own things as long as that's the most appropriate technology for it.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 16, 2012
mbatuku2: I have a deep interest in materials science. Some of the important factors we learnt from school when carrying out construction are: (1) cost (2) availability of the material (3) functionality.

Except in the very poor villages, most of the towns now build with aluminium roofs which I feel is too expensive since that stuff is not available in Nigeria but imported. Personally, I would have loved to see plastic roofs made from all the rubbish plastic containers that are littering the streets. That would be very available, durable, cheap and also clean our environment. But we dont not have such technology.

I really find it annoying when people try to compare Nigeria with other countries. Every society should learn to use what they have to do their own things as long as that's the most appropriate technology for it.

Ezeagu, what exactly is not imported in Nigeria? Even your GF/Wife's hair is imported (Brazillian).

But I get your point tho. I doubt NIgerians are ready or if even she has the tools and funds to invent her own "plastic rooftop".
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by eggy(m): 7:28am On Aug 16, 2012
A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens has no moral right to ban any form of roof...

What shld be done rather, is to make alternative roofing cheaper and accessible to the average man..Who no like better thing?

Enof of this our Ban this Ban that mentality.

We are quick to make comparizm with other climes where adequate policies and checks are in place.

Till the cancer eating Nigeria (Bad leadership and corruption) is addressed, all sphere of life and infrastructure will continue to be like the ugly zinc roof.

R.......
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 16, 2012
This is the dumbest most uninformed post I av seen in a while..But why is it frm Ileke Idi...I'm disappointed. Go to the more affluent areas of Ibadan and they don't use zinc roofs...Most of the brown zinc roofs were constructed during the colonial area and that was the material of use then...People nw use painted steel roofs becos it is more durable....No point banning an old technology unless it has been seen to have health implication....It would eventually get fazed out to the more durable cheaper material. And steel roofs will eventually get cheaper.
And abt that cardboard roof coated with tar...Well kk u say it works in the U.S. Fine. But has anybody tried it in Nigeria...Maybe u cn try it first and whatever problems u face with it due to the difference in weather conditions u'll jst take it as an experiment.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 16, 2012
A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens . . . should not have this much oil

A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens . . . .should not have a president spending funds to take 106 crook politicians to Brazil.

A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens .. . .should not have politicians building mansions for themselves at home and international.

A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens . . . should not politicians illegally allocating lands to their family and friends.

A nation that is un able to provide avoidable homes for it citizens . . . .should not have crook politicians walking the street in broad daylight.

But guess what. . . .
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 16, 2012
12 inches!:
This is the dumbest most uninformed post I av seen in a while..But why is it frm Ileke Idi...I'm disappointed. Go to the more affluent areas of Ibadan and they don't use zinc roofs...Most of the brown zinc roofs were constructed during the colonial area and that was the material of use then...People nw use painted steel roofs becos it is more durable....No point banning an old technology unless it has been seen to have health implication....It would eventually get fazed out to the more durable cheaper material. And steel roofs will eventually get cheaper.
And abt that cardboard roof coated with tar...Well kk u say it works in the U.S. Fine. But has anybody tried it in Nigeria...Maybe u cn try it first and whatever problems u face with it due to the difference in weather conditions u'll jst take it as an experiment.

Since colonial "area" huh? Is that just not embarrassing.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Ezeagu, what exactly is not imported in Nigeria? Even your GF/Wife's hair is imported (Brazillian).

But I get your point tho. I doubt NIgerians are ready or if even she has the tools and funds to invent her own "plastic rooftop".

Well, like I said before this subject is what I pondered over for a long time, especially when I was building my house. I had to settle for aluminium roofs since galvanized iron sheets and asbestos was a no-no for me and that was what I could get around.

All the problem you outlined boils down to poverty as a result of too much importation, Nigeria is practically making the western countries richer and making herself poorer. If a fraction of the monies taken abroad where circulated in the country those your poor neighbours in Ekiti will not build with irritating iron sheets that rust and become ugly with age. If a company in Nigeria could develop how to manufacture hair from plants or other materials around, Ezeugo's gf would not need brazilian or whatever hair.

P.S Maybe you need to move around your state, I'm sure Ado-Ekiti should have a few nice buildings. I was in Ondo state last month, after seeing the usual(mud houses), I was suprised to run into a few nice houses in Okitipupa.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by GAR3TH(m): 7:42am On Aug 16, 2012
It all depends on the type of metal your using and if it was treated or not. But in many Nigerian cities and villages they seem to use cheap untreated metal that will barely last a year. not only does metal rust but it also absorbs heat radiation easily and in a wet, humid and hot climate like Nigeria I'm not sure why people use it. Many homes in the united states use asphalt shingles because not only are they cheap but they also have a long life span. Also the "paper" that someone mentioned earlier is either Rigid Insulation or A water proof membrane or a combination of the two.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 16, 2012
mbatuku2:

Well, like I said before this subject is what I pondered over for a long time, especially when I was building my house. I had to settle for aluminium roofs since galvanized iron sheets and asbestos was a no-no for me and that was what I could get around.

All the problem you outlined boils down to poverty as a result of too much importation, Nigeria is practically making the western countries richer and making herself poorer. If a fraction of the monies taken abroad where circulated in the country those your poor neighbours in Ekiti will not build with irritating iron sheets that rust and become ugly with age. If a company in Nigeria could develop how to manufacture hair from plants or other materials around, Ezeugo's gf would not need brazilian or whatever hair.

P.S Maybe you need to move around your state, I'm sure Ado-Ekiti should have a few nice buildings. I was in Ondo state last month, after seeing the usual(mud houses), I was suprised to run into a few nice houses in Okitipupa.

My poor neighbors are doing better than your poor neighbors in the SE when it comes to this topic.

https://www.nairaland.com/1008760/new-pictures-ekiti-state ==> As you can see, most of the recent buildings no dey get pan for roof.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 16, 2012
Time to put on my armor. I no say that dem crazy insultive Nigerians go come dey post by the time PHCN light comes on grin
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

My poor neighbors are doing better than your poor neighbors in the SE when it comes to this topic.

https://www.nairaland.com/1008760/new-pictures-ekiti-state ==> As you can see, most of the recent buildings no dey get pan for roof.

You lie too much. Everyone knows the SW to be the home of mud houses and rusted roofs.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 8:06am On Aug 16, 2012
mbatuku2:

You lie too much. Everyone knows the SW to be the home of mud houses and rusted roofs.

Talk about lying. . . . lol. The irony of life.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Clemzy16(m): 8:07am On Aug 16, 2012
How will these affect the price of condom in the market. The conji ministry must move to the permanent site..
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by davidif: 8:07am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Why would I want to do that? From riding on my high horse, I was able to see to rusting rooftops clearly.

Do they have better roofs in Gainesville?
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 16, 2012
davidif:

Do they have better roofs in Gainesville?

How would I know?
What's Garwood's roof got to do with my post?
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Yerimzo(m): 8:17am On Aug 16, 2012
Abeg make i hear word.Of all d isuez 9ja dy face,na how to replace roofing sheets dy do u.Walahi nothn rub u.[color=]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Coalition Of 12 Civil Society Organisation's March Against Impunity In Abuja / We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths / Akwa Ibom Elections: INEC Ad-hoc Staff Testifies Against The Pdp At Tribunal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.