Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,231 members, 7,836,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation (12331 Views)

Nigeria Signs Currency Pact With China And It's Effect On Phone Imports / Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) / Free Kjv Bible Download On Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 18, 2012
let me tell you a story about someone i know. lived in england for 20 years. swore on his life that he will never ever step foot on nigerian soil again because he just didnt have a great time growing up as a teen in nigeria before he left for london ( where he was born ). so for 20 years he never step foot in nigeria. then by some mere coincidence he was invited to nigeria by a family member that he liked so much. this was 2009. when he set foot on naija soil. after 2 weeks in nigeria he decided that he hates britain and he is never going back again. he took a trip to britain, sold all his stuff and relocated to nigeria. he cant stop singing the praise of nigeria everytime i talk to him. he hates britain now. when he goes there he says after a few hours he wants to return back to naija. funny story ? LOL but true

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by Mavor: 4:31pm On Aug 18, 2012
I must win that airplane in Jesus name!!! AMEN!!!!
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by Sealeddeal(m): 4:50pm On Aug 18, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Yet some scums seat somwhere;conduct invisible random research and tell you a large percentage of Nigeria live on less than #150 daily. MayGODpunishthem#
....you think its lie.u may nt have travelled around nigeria.up to 40percent of nigerians doesnt feed well on daily basis.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by PapaBrowne(m): 5:03pm On Aug 18, 2012
Ok. So our average monthly spend(ARPU) on phone time is 1011 Naira. And the number of phones is 102 Million. Nice info. Luv it.

The world bank tells us that 70%(112 Million) of the population lives on lass than $2 a day which equates to 9600 Naira per month.

Now is it possible that poor people spend an average of 10% of their in come on calls? Dem never chop. Never pay rent. Never buy cloth. But get to spend 10% of their income on clothes. 2 dollar per day my foot.

I've been going around asking bike riders how much they earn on average daily and it is between 3000-6000 Naira daily in the south south! 2 Dollar per day my foot.
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by Jarus(m): 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2012
I exhausted my 50k official monthly credit limit, for the first time last month. The instantaneity offered by phone call just makes it no 1 means of communication still(after face-to-face conversation of course)
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 18, 2012
PapaBrowne: Ok. So our average monthly spend(ARPU) on phone time is 1011 Naira. And the number of phones is 102 Million. Nice info. Luv it.

The world bank tells us that 70%(112 Million) of the population lives on lass than $2 a day which equates to 9600 Naira per month.

Now is it possible that poor people spend an average of 10% of their in come on calls? Dem never chop. Never pay rent. Never buy cloth. But get to spend 10% of their income on clothes. 2 dollar per day my foot.

I've been going around asking bike riders how much they earn on average daily and it is between 3000-6000 Naira daily in the south south! 2 Dollar per day my foot.
Just listen to your complicated self! Spend is different from earn, dude. Most Nigerians don't spend 2 dollars daily. Know that large number of the Nigerian population live in the rural area.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by israelbenzion: 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2012
Les: I miss Nitel of the good old days. If only 9ja'll bring back networks like nitel where one pays only at month ends at minimal cost, this would have been an advantage to us, afterall that's how other countries operate- USA, etc!
Abeg u, if we are enjoying our money's worth, no call NITEL here. Hv u forgotten so soon? Hav u forgotten how we used to beg for improved services no matter d cost? Now we hv it and u r complaining, talking of NITEL. Abegi!
We ar complaining of power supply and we say we are ready to pay anytin for steady supply. If tomorrow we hv companies that guarantee us steady supply, u will come again to say u miss NEPA. U no dey try jor!
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by honeric01(m): 5:16pm On Aug 18, 2012
I load an average of 20k monthly to stay in business and that's even small to some Nigerians. Now can a country with 70% living under $2 per day use up this kind of figure in 6 months?

102milla out of 160milla used such amount in 6 months. Hmmmm except Nigerians spend most of their earnings on phonecalls, then i can see the $2 per day eish.
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by postemail: 5:20pm On Aug 18, 2012
Have you ever wondered why Nigerians would call rather than text on trivial matters like - "just called to say hi. "
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by CuteTj(m): 5:23pm On Aug 18, 2012
Some are complaining that despite how poor some Nigerians are they will still make phone calls (the truth is that we can't all do without calling some people) but do you realize that just a phone call can change your life? It suprises me that Nigerians have refused to see the big picture. Our population has its economic advantage but alas, bad leaders & poor leadership hasn't made us fulfill our potentials. Nigeria has a ready market and what you need do is find a need and fill it like all these network providers have done and you will be smiling all the way to the bank.
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by manny4life(m): 5:24pm On Aug 18, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Yet some scums seat somwhere;conduct invisible random research and tell you a large percentage of Nigeria live on less than #150 daily. MayGODpunishthem#

Chill, the research is based upon an average, you know what an average is , right? Total sum of ALL variable divided by number of variables. The research is just an index of what an average Nigerian lives on, not necessarily what an individual Nigerian lives by...hope you understand the difference.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by flashit(f): 5:28pm On Aug 18, 2012
PapaBrowne: Ok. So our average monthly spend(ARPU) on phone time is 1011 Naira. And the number of phones is 102 Million. Nice info. Luv it.

Propaganda by the west!
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by dmainboss: 5:34pm On Aug 18, 2012
crackhouse: They would have given us the percentage of people that spent more. For instance 17% spent 340billion, 10% spent 60billion etc

Please please bros, don't bring this argument. For you info, the poor or middle class spend more time on the phone than the rich. Most rich men I know don't stay long on the phone. Especially the enlightened ones. The highest selling recharge cards are the 100 and 200 denominations. Even if you assume that the rich call a lot, how much time can a single individual spend on calls in a day? And their calls are even cheaper because most of them are on some kind of call booster plans. The bitter truth is, Nigerians are not as poor as all those reports say. Some of us have been saying it for long. We just suffer basic amenities and harsh living environments but we aint really so poor.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by manny4life(m): 5:39pm On Aug 18, 2012

Bros your calculation is VERY Faulty, and the reason why is that, YOU CANNOT compare apple to oranges. The world bank figures is estimated at 70% of the population NOT 100% while 102million phones NOT subscribers. I can begin to tell you why your calculation are JUST WRONG...
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by dmainboss: 5:40pm On Aug 18, 2012
manny4life:

Chill, the research is based upon an average, you know what an average is , right? Total sum of ALL variable divided by number of variables. The research is just an index of what an average Nigerian lives on, not necessarily what an individual Nigerian lives by...hope you understand the difference.

Please the research is a fraud. It was actually carried out by a combination of government, NGOs and UN. The problem is that the 3 groups I just listed have an interest and the favourable report for all of them is the one they released
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by Bawss1(m): 5:41pm On Aug 18, 2012
Rich Dad: @the Bold part, what more can i say? It's not really that we are poor but misplaced priorities. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by amosy007: 5:44pm On Aug 18, 2012
obadiah777: let me tell you a story about someone i know. lived in england for 20 years. swore on his life that he will never ever step foot on nigerian soil again because he just didnt have a great time growing up as a teen in nigeria before he left for london ( where he was born ). so for 20 years he never step foot in nigeria. then by some mere coincidence he was invited to nigeria by a family member that he liked so much. this was 2009. when he set foot on naija soil. after 2 weeks in nigeria he decided that he hates britain and he is never going back again. he took a trip to britain, sold all his stuff and relocated to nigeria. he cant stop singing the praise of nigeria everytime i talk to him. he hates britain now. when he goes there he says after a few hours he wants to return back to naija. funny story ? LOL but true
nigeria is where things happen and a place to get real value 4 ur money unlike uk that u wnt be as free as naija with many bullshiit taxes etc
uk is a boring city england generaly is boring

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by dmainboss: 5:48pm On Aug 18, 2012
manny4life:

Bros your calculation is VERY Faulty, and the reason why is that, YOU CANNOT compare apple to oranges. The world bank figures is estimated at 70% of the population NOT 100% while 102million phones NOT subscribers. I can begin to tell you why your calculation are JUST WRONG...

How is his calculation wrong? Are you saying okada people and bus drivers are not in the 70%(report actually says 80%)? Then who constitutes the 80%? Even vulcanizers and many market women make above 2k per day.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by amosy007: 5:48pm On Aug 18, 2012
Sealeddeal: ....you think its lie.u may nt have travelled around nigeria.up to 40percent of nigerians doesnt feed well on daily basis.
and i tell u 35 - 38% of those that doesnt feed well are from north due to illitracy level thats why i sumtimes wish we could just divide dis country

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by manny4life(m): 5:53pm On Aug 18, 2012
dmainboss:

Please the research is a fraud. It was actually carried out by a combination of government, NGOs and UN. The problem is that the 3 groups I just listed have an interest and the favourable report for all of them is the one they released

How is a fraud exactly? That they exaggerated figures or made up figures, or what exactly? I fail to see how it's fraud, PLEASE enlighten me
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by dmainboss: 6:02pm On Aug 18, 2012
manny4life:

How is a fraud exactly? That they exaggerated figures or made up figures, or what exactly? I fail to see how it's fraud, PLEASE enlighten me

Please listen well bro. Nigeria NGOs are a bunch of fraudsters. They are the ones that do these research for the UN in partnership with government. The NGOs can only get grants with reports like these. I know very very well what I am saying because I have worked with them. The government also needs these kind of reports so they can keep getting aids, loans and handouts from the international community. They never did any research. They sat in front of their laptops and cooked figures. I know how they work. Believe me, apart from some areas in the north, in most other places in Nigeria, people make far more than that. Even in the rural areas, you cannot say they live on less than $2 a day because, though they might not have much cash, they actually eat better than most urban dwellers. The average village food will cost a fortune to buy in Lagos, PH or Abuja. There are poor people in Nigeria but poverty is relative. The report, I insist, is a fraud

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by manny4life(m): 6:03pm On Aug 18, 2012
dmainboss:

How is his calculation wrong? Are you saying okada people and bus drivers are not in the 70%(report actually says 80%)? Then who constitutes the 80%? Even vulcanizers and many market women make above 2k per day.

Look, that's why I said his calculation is wrong.

First, there's a difference between revenue and income although both are earnings. What the world bank said is, "lives on $2pd" which is net income, NOT revenues.

Secondly, like I stated, he claimed "102million phones", which I said is "VAGUE", because 102million phones doesn't state the true/actual number of subscribers. Hypothetically speaking if one subscriber has 2phones, technically, that's 51million true subscribers and you can evaluate the subscribers base upon the WBG figures.

Thirdly, he said "The world bank tells us that 70%(112 Million) of the population lives on lass than $2 a day which equates to 9600 Naira per month." How can you equate 70% of true population (lives), against number of phones, rather than subscribers? Secondly, if it's on subscribers level, that's still @ 63.75%, if we recalculate and adjust the 63.75 to 70% (about 6.25% points) to other variables, we can see his calculation is way off course.

Fourthly, he claimed "Now is it possible that poor people spend an average of 10% of their in come on calls? Dem never chop. Never pay rent. Never buy cloth. But get to spend 10% of their income on clothes. 2 dollar per day my foot." How come does he use the word "AVERAGE", then again, say "the poor", isn't the average supposedly "Wealthy" + "Rich" + "Average" + "Poor" + "Beyond Poor and Homeless"/by all these variables? If he wants to go by "POOR" index, like someone suggested, that's a totally different calculation altogether. A different survey should suggest different income levels as against cell card purchase.

Fifth, he said "I've been going around asking bike riders how much they earn on average daily and it is between 3000-6000 Naira daily in the south south! 2 Dollar per day my foot." I can't stress this enough, this is their revenues, NOT income. Don't these folks have fixed/variable + overhead expenses? Come on now, this isn't the true state of things, if we have to calculate things, LET'S BE HONEST WITH OURSELVES.
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by crackhouse(m): 6:07pm On Aug 18, 2012
dmainboss:

Please please bros, don't bring this argument. For you info, the poor or middle class spend more time on the phone than the rich. Most rich men I know don't stay long on the phone. Especially the enlightened ones. The highest selling recharge cards are the 100 and 200 denominations. Even if you assume that the rich call a lot, how much time can a single individual spend on calls in a day? And their calls are even cheaper because most of them are on some kind of call booster plans. The bitter truth is, Nigerians are not as poor as all those reports say. Some of us have been saying it for long. We just suffer basic amenities and harsh living environments but we aint really so poor.
is that what u think?
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 18, 2012
Okay! that's an average of N666 per month on phone calls for one person, hmmm, not too bad sha if we value the returns into cash.

However, we must also learn to spend wisely.

God Bless Nigeria
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by dmainboss: 6:16pm On Aug 18, 2012
manny4life:

Look, that's why I said his calculation is wrong.

First, there's a difference between revenue and income although both are earnings. What the world bank said is, "lives on $2pd" which is net income, NOT revenues.

Secondly, like I stated, he claimed "102million phones", which I said is "VAGUE", because 102million phones doesn't state the true/actual number of subscribers. Hypothetically speaking if one subscriber has 2phones, technically, that's 51million true subscribers and you can evaluate the subscribers base upon the WBG figures.

Thirdly, he said "The world bank tells us that 70%(112 Million) of the population lives on lass than $2 a day which equates to 9600 Naira per month." How can you equate 70% of true population (lives), against number of phones, rather than subscribers? Secondly, if it's on subscribers level, that's still @ 63.75%, if we recalculate and adjust the 63.75 to 70% (about 6.25% points) to other variables, we can see his calculation is way off course.

Fourthly, he claimed "Now is it possible that poor people spend an average of 10% of their in come on calls? Dem never chop. Never pay rent. Never buy cloth. But get to spend 10% of their income on clothes. 2 dollar per day my foot." How come does he use the word "AVERAGE", then again, say "the poor", isn't the average supposedly "Wealthy" + "Rich" + "Average" + "Poor" + "Beyond Poor and Homeless"/by all these variables? If he wants to go by "POOR" index, like someone suggested, that's a totally different calculation altogether. A different survey should suggest different income levels as against cell card purchase.

Fifth, he said "I've been going around asking bike riders how much they earn on average daily and it is between 3000-6000 Naira daily in the south south! 2 Dollar per day my foot." I can't stress this enough, this is their revenues, NOT income. Don't these folks have fixed/variable + overhead expenses? Come on now, this isn't the true state of things, if we have to calculate things, LET'S BE HONEST WITH OURSELVES.

Maybe you don't live in naija or maybe you live in gra and don't move around. So I will repeat what he said to you. An okada man goes home with an average of 4k at the end of everyday. All expenses paid. A danfo driver goes hone with over 10k everyday after all expenses paid. That is their profit for the day. If you don't believe it, go to the streets yourself and find out. Don't just read stories from newspapers and UN.
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by dmainboss: 6:18pm On Aug 18, 2012
crackhouse: is that what u think?

Bros, that's what I know. I can't list stuff I have been involved in here for obvious reasons
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by manny4life(m): 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2012
dmainboss:

Maybe you don't live in naija or maybe you live in gra and don't move around. So I will repeat what he said to you. An okada man goes home with an average of 4k at the end of everyday. All expenses paid. A danfo driver goes hone with over 10k everyday after all expenses paid. That is their profit for the day. If you don't believe it, go to the streets yourself and find out. Don't just read stories from newspapers and UN.

So you're trying to convice me that an okada man makes about N72,000 monthly after all expenses removed? Yet we talk about unemployment, WOW. Well I guess fuel subsidy shouldn't be a problem after all because going by the usual 70/30 ratio, they're are making about N95,000 monthly... NICE wink wink wink grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by ValueAddin: 6:23pm On Aug 18, 2012
undecided So what is the fuss all about. Guys do the simple maths....its means on average each active subscriber spent about N6k for the six months which is equal to a phone bill of N1k per month per active subscriber.

How is this too much....isn't that N250 per week per subscriber and over N30 per day?

With the way nigerians make calls I am even shocked its not more.
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by dmainboss: 6:29pm On Aug 18, 2012
manny4life:

So you're trying to convice me that an okada man makes about N72,000 monthly after all expenses removed? Yet we talk about unemployment, WOW. Well I guess fuel subsidy shouldn't be a problem after all because going by the usual 70/30 ratio, they're are making about N95,000 monthly... NICE wink wink wink grin grin grin

Bros open your eyes very very well. Many of these okada guys have built houses. Have you ever seen a bus driver eaten or declaring beer at the end of everyday? The people who really suffer in Nigeria are young graduates who cannot do these kind of jobs and have to carry their CVs all over the place looking for office work. But if you are in lagos, you will find out many of these okada guys are graduates. Yes, graduates. They make good money bro.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by ValueAddin: 6:30pm On Aug 18, 2012
Na wa
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by aribisala0(m): 6:34pm On Aug 18, 2012
ocman: This is just a clear proof that Nigeria is a talkative country. We talk too much and do less. much words, less action. That is why we are this way. Millions of words and No action. Billions of words in campaign manifestos and lofty promises, yet nothing...we brag on how to tackle boko haram yet nothing to show. Obama said just few words about osama bin laden, the rest was action
My man it is NOT CLEAR PROOF of anything

Analyse the figures

Do we have any compparative data with any other country to see where we stand in a league of spending
The figures tell us that on average we spend 1000 Naira each monthly per subscriber,in the UK that figure is likely to be closer to 7 or 8000 and the cost of calls is broadly similar in PPP terms. Bearing in mind that the UK also have land lines which are mostly fixed costs with free calls .It shows that Nigerians spend a pittance on phone calls which is probably explained by the fact that MOST callers RARELY buy credit and prefer FLASHING instead
Re: Nigerians Spent N603.2bn On Phone Calls In Six Months - Investigation by ABsI1: 6:37pm On Aug 18, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBM PINs That Start With 7 / Guys Please Help! I Can't Install Some Games From Xender / How To: Configure Glo Gprs Settings On Iphones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.