Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,595 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Truth About Radiator Coolants - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Truth About Radiator Coolants (7408 Views)

Coolants: Types And When To Flush It. / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Truth About Radiator Coolants by Immune1(m): 9:26am On Aug 16, 2012
It’s quite common to find most car radiators on the road today filled with just water as most motorist don’t deem it necessary to use coolants. This pattern has a little history behind it which unfortunately, is traceable to stereotypic Nigerian mechanic practices over the years. Most claim addition of these coolants to radiators is a mere waste and a huge aberration when taking account of the basic needs of a car here in Nigeria. This mistaken ideology is rooted to faulty practices like attempting to reverse engine overheating by adding this coolant and when the desired result isn’t achieved most mechanics further bolster their wrongly upheld perception about coolants
Before we go any further to disprove this, let’s delve a bit into a little chemistry and basic understanding of what a radiator coolant actually is; also, why it has to be mixed proportionately with distilled water- not just water-in the first place. Every brand new car comes with a coolant/water solution, it’s either orange or green in colour and you mostly would find it in a transparent white coloured reservoir with an expansion hose which is connected to the radiator.

Ethylene glycol/polyethylene glycol is the basic chemical composition of this compound alongside other additives to boost its properties which allows it serve other purposes like corrosion inhibition, lubrication and useful alteration of the basic property of water by making it reasonably resistant to freezing and boiling.
Ideally water and coolant solution is continuously circulated through engine jackets to trap as much heat as possible from the engine which is subsequently introduced into the radiator for this trapped heat to be swiftly exchanged with the environment. The radiator cools off this solution which is sent back to the engine for another round of heat trapping and re-circulation.

From this little scientific exposition you would agree with me that this compound is not merely an anti-freeze as it serves other purposes pertinent to extended engine life, cooling efficiency and resistance to overheating. When you use mere water alone to achieve cooling, it boils off easily that is why you keep refilling your expansion tank in between engine servicing and in no time you get this brownish water discolouration which is a clear evidence of gradual engine block degradation. This obviously, is as a result of the traditional behaviour of water around metals in the presence of the littlest amount of air. So now is it too late for you to remedy your car’s situation? I can’t answer that, but here are simple tips that will be sure helpful:

First check your radiator water level and condition.
Before introducing any coolant it’s most ideal to flush your radiator, especially if you haven’t done this for more than a year. Insist on a thorough reverse flush from underneath the radiator.
Depending on the condition of the water in the radiator,you might want to totally flush the engine block as well.
Buy the recommended coolant for your car which is to be mixed with distilled water; don’t guess! You would have to do a little research if you don’t have a manual. For some cars it’s in the ratio of 70%-30%, while for most cars its 50%-50%. The volume of radiators vary so be sure you have the right information for your specific type of car. Like we would always say, employ the services of the right technician.
Good luck![color=#000099][/color]
source:http://www.autobaseafrica.com/truth-about-radiator-coolants/
Re: Truth About Radiator Coolants by ayobase(m): 9:55am On Aug 16, 2012
Thats so thoughtful of u OP!
Nice one...
Re: Truth About Radiator Coolants by myke20: 2:27pm On Aug 16, 2012
Thanksfor this post.I want to buy this coolant stuff but don't seem to know where to buy it in benin.I went to total but the one dey have is green anf toyota camry uses red.so I did nt buy again.and moreso where do I add the coolant.is it the radiator or the coolant reserovir cos I'm confused.currently I use water for both o and d car works perfect sha and how do I know if it is mixed already
shocked
Re: Truth About Radiator Coolants by Immune1(m): 5:40pm On Aug 16, 2012
The type of coolant for different cars vary,that's why you need to exercise caution in choosing which one to use.The safe thing to do is use a coolant type with a similar composition to what your car manual specified.
These days some cars don't even have radiator pressurised caps and for cars with caps its not advisable to frequently open your radiators directly;make good use of expansion tanks.
Re: Truth About Radiator Coolants by Immune1(m): 7:34pm On Aug 16, 2012
myke20: Thanksfor this post.I want to buy this coolant stuff but don't seem to know where to buy it in benin.I went to total but the one dey have is green anf toyota camry uses red.so I did nt buy again.and moreso where do I add the coolant.is it the radiator or the coolant reserovir cos I'm confused.currently I use water for both o and d car works perfect sha and how do I know if it is mixed already
shocked

The colour of the mixture will definitely change and if you are using mere water, ideally its supposed to be transparent but that is hardly the case especially if you have used it that way for an extended period of time. Like it was stated in the post, it will keep working fine,but overtime the damage ensues.
Re: Truth About Radiator Coolants by Trac: 2:54pm On Aug 21, 2012
Use only the approved coolant by the manufacturer. The coolant have "sheet" descriptions and are engineered to spec with adequate Reynolds related to Heat Transfer and other properties. In other words, the fluid itself has been engineered to formulation. Never mix coolants.
Re: Truth About Radiator Coolants by kenyarttar: 11:07am On Jan 09, 2014
My Volkswagen car dashboard was beeping yesterday which has finally led me here. Discovered it was the coolant warning.

and the good folks here here recommend the Volkswagen coolant additive, G 12 A8D

An instructional video is also available on the company website

More power to the internet and Google. I'm happy!
Re: Truth About Radiator Coolants by Ogadtop(m): 7:50am On Jan 10, 2014
pls houz hoe does one guage gear oil and how to know when to change it.i use audi 80 manual transmission. though the gear isnt giving problem sha.

(1) (Reply)

56 Of The Worst Cars Of All Time. / Nissan Has Built 150 Million Vehicles Since 1933 / How To Deal With Bad Mechanics? Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.