Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . (2431 Views)

DEBATE: Mother And Father Who Is More Important In The Family And Why ? / (Pic) Mother And Son Bathing Together; Motherly Love Or Child Abuse? / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 9:27am On Aug 16, 2012
Let's say you had to decide to choose between your mum's advice and your husband's.

Both have a contrary opinion with reasons that make sense and are both right.

You have absolutely NO opinion on the matter and will hapilly go with anyone.

Neither of them are insisting so the decision is actually yours to make.

Problem is . . . if you go with hubby, mum might feel you dis-regarded her advice and if you go with mum, hubby might feel betrayed! sad sad sad

What will you do undecided

[s]PS: Mods Please don't post on front page. Thanks[/s]
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by EfemenaXY: 9:32am On Aug 16, 2012
Well, it depends on what the issue is. You've got to provide us with a bit more information Uju.
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 16, 2012
Ouch . . . sad sad

do I really need to spell out the details?
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by EfemenaXY: 9:37am On Aug 16, 2012
Yes, you do. How else can we give our opinion? Unless you're asking: "Generally speaking, whose advice would you follow? Your mum's? Or hubby's?"
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 16, 2012
Did you tell one or both of them what the other person suggested?

If you decide to make a decision right now would they know about it?

Give us more info that way we can tackle it properly.

1 Like

Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by ayobase(m): 9:48am On Aug 16, 2012
Ujujoan: Let's say you had to decide to choose between your mum's advice and your husband's.

Both have a contrary opinion with reasons that make sense and are both right.

You have absolutely NO opinion on the matter and will hapilly go with anyone.

Neither of them are insisting so the decision is actually yours to make.

Problem is . . . if you go with hubby, mum might feel you dis-regarded her advice and if you go with mum, hubby might feel betrayed! sad sad sad

What will you do undecided

[s]PS: Mods Please don't post on front page. Thanks[/s]

No matter what, go with ur spouse' piece of advice so that u can both tackle it together when the chips are down.
And the two became one....not with mother....let the mother go and make decision with her husband!
Mother might be gone soon, so u will be left all alone to deal with the problem she caused u both.
Deal with any problem as a couple.....SIMPLE!

1 Like

Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 16, 2012
jennykadry: Did you tell one or both of them what the other person suggested?

If you decide to make a decision right now would they know about it?

Give us more info that way we can tackle it properly.

Yes, they are both aware of the other's opinion and they'll both know which way I decide to go!

Efemena_xy: Yes, you do. How else can we give our opinion? Unless you're asking: "Generally speaking, whose advice would you follow? Your mum's? Or hubby's?"

That's actually what I'm asking . . . indirectly!
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 16, 2012
ayobase:

No matter what, go with ur spouse' piece of advice so that u can both tackle it together when the chips are down.
And the two became one....not with mother....let the mother go and make decision with her husband!
Mother might be gone soon, so u will be left all alone to deal with the problem she caused u both.

Thanks for reminding me that my mum will be gone soon and I'll regret every thing I did to make her unhappy, directly or indirectly! sad sad

Looking at it that way, I'll have my hubby forever but mum . . . I dont know! sad sad
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 16, 2012
How about you incorporate both in your decision making. Take a piece of each and work with that

Ujujoan:

Thanks for reminding me that my mum will be gone soon and I'll regret every thing I did to make her unhappy, directly or indirectly! sad sad

Looking at it that way, I'll have my hubby forever but mum . . . I dont know! sad sad

I have to say that guy's post was very depressing. Accusing a woman of causing problems and already talking about her leaving the earth. Tufiakwa
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 16, 2012
How about you incorporate both in your decision making. Take a piece of each and work with that

Nope. It's one or the other!

jennykadry:

I have to say that guy's post was very depressing. Accusing a woman of causing problems and already talking about her leaving the earth. Tufiakwa

Very very! sad sad

My mum will be the last person to cause problems in my home and hubby knows that as well. So I think it's best to ignore that poster!
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by EfemenaXY: 10:14am On Aug 16, 2012
ayobase:

That's a horrible thing to say Ayo.

Uju, like I said, it really does depend on what's actually discussed. A person's background to a large extent, determines how they would react to a certain situation, and the actions they'll take. Take for example, issues surrounding how to discipline a child, finance management, etc.

I understand you not wanting to go into specifics here. So in that case. I'll advice you to go with what you feel more comfortable with.
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by blank(f): 10:17am On Aug 16, 2012
You don't have to share the details.
Pick whichever one makes you happy and explain to the other person.
Personally, i always prefer to go with my husband's advice [s]and then explain to the other person that you felt it was better to do it that way (not that its hubby's opinion).[/s] I just read the other contributions.

Or just go with the flow and let life pick one for you. wink
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 16, 2012
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 16, 2012
I think the problem is I really want to go with my mum, but I understand hubby's reasons perfectly. sad sad
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 10:35am On Aug 16, 2012
hmmm
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Kobojunkie: 10:45am On Aug 16, 2012
There is nothing I had more than when people say things to like "Choose between this adult or that adult " . . . in reality, nothing in life is that way but people CHOOSE of their own to make the simplest things about choosing BETWEEN ONE PERSON OR ANOTHER . . . . You can choose between two inanimate things . . . jobs, shirts, ties, etc. But you cannot CHOOSE between two people and I really suggest people look for better ways to processing situations like this rather than assuming it has anything to do with choosing between two people.

@Poster, why not tell them both to come up with a compromise that will work for the three of you on this decision? I mean would your husband also need to CHOOSE BETWEEN YOU AND HIS MOTHER? If your mother feels one way about an issue, and your husband feels another way about the same issue, you as an adult too(yes, you are not a kid and you have your brained wired up in much the same way as theirs is) have the right to remove yourself from the issue or to choose a third path.

That you are married to someone DOES NOT then imply that you must agree with that person on every issue. That you were born by someone does not then reduce your capacity as a human being. In both cases, you remain an independent being and you need to decide whether you will go with both ideas, go with one over the other without consequence(note again you are here choosing between ideas and not people), or go with none. Yes, I said without consequence because if the people you are dealing with are mature, none will impose their own Will on you. If not, then you learn something that will need attention, not only now but in the very near future.

2 Likes

Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 16, 2012
Kobojunkie: There is nothing I had more than when people say things to like "Choose between this adult or that adult " . . . in reality, nothing in life is that way but people CHOOSE of their own to make the simplest things about choosing BETWEEN ONE PERSON OR ANOTHER . . . . You can choose between two inanimate things . . . jobs, shirts, ties, etc. But you cannot CHOOSE between two people and I really suggest people look for better ways to processing situations like this rather than assuming it has anything to do with choosing between two people.

@Poster, why not tell them both to come up with a compromise that will work for the three of you on this decision? I mean would your husband also need to CHOOSE BETWEEN YOU AND HIS MOTHER? If your mother feels one way about an issue, and your husband feels another way about the same issue, you as an adult too(yes, you are not a kid and you have your brained wired up in much the same way as theirs is) have the right to remove yourself from the issue or to choose a third path.

That you are married to someone DOES NOT then imply that you must agree with that person on every issue. That you were born by someone does not then reduce your capacity as a human being. In both cases, you remain an independent being and you need to decide whether you will go with both ideas, go with one over the other without consequence(note again you are here choosing between ideas and not people), or go with none. Yes, I said without consequence because if the people you are dealing with are mature, none will impose their own Will on you. If not, then you learn something that will need attention, not only now but in the very near future.

Thanks for pointing that out . . . But then again I'm not talking about choosing between them, but choosing between their advice!

Also like I said, neither is imposing . . . just suggesting. The decision is entirely mine. But now that they both know the other has a contrary opinion, any decision I make will appear to be influenced!

It's silly really! cheesy cheesy

Anyways, I already decided so thanks EVERYONE!

I love Nlders! kiss kiss
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 16, 2012
chaircover: Since both options seem ok and you dont mind either way, then [b]I would go with my husbands [/b]advice but explain to my mun why I have decided to go with his advice and let her know that her opinions are still very important to me.

As a married woman herself She will understand and as your mum she wouldn't want anything to cause strife between you and your husband.

I dont know, maybe it's my relatively early marriage, but I'm not quite at that stage where I go with hubby's suggestion instead of mum's.

My mum's more experienced than both my husband and myself and over the years I've learnt to trust her judgement.

Most times I just do what she says and hubby doesnt mind or so it appears undecided
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 16, 2012
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by ayobase(m): 11:05am On Aug 16, 2012
Efemena_xy:

That's a horrible thing to say Ayo.

Common Efemena, I didnt mean it that way...COMMON!
Nobody prays that his/her parents should outlive his/her spouse.
Its their joy to live us behind!
Uju, Im very sorry if u saw it the way Efemena observed.....
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by ayobase(m): 11:09am On Aug 16, 2012
Ujujoan:

I love Nlders! kiss kiss

We love u too Omo Mummy E
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by jaybee3(m): 11:11am On Aug 16, 2012
Hubby's advice so long you are comfortable with it should always rule.
You live with him not your mother.
Your mum is married to your dad and she probably function by his advices.

One of the common communication problems in marriages starts once the wife/husband starts listening to third parties for advices.

2 Likes

Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Kobojunkie: 11:44am On Aug 16, 2012
chaircover:

I am going by what you said, which was that both sets of advice were right and you had no preference.

That is what I read too.
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by queensmith: 11:47am On Aug 16, 2012
erm it is the advice that should count not the person giving it. WHich sounds more sensible?

1 Like

Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 16, 2012
chaircover:

I am going by what you said, which was that both sets of advice were right and you had no preference.

True . . . . with regards to the post!

But I'm talking generally now
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by r231(m): 11:54am On Aug 16, 2012
queensmith: erm it is the advice that should count not the person giving it. WHich sounds more sensible?

True
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by OmoAlata(f): 12:10pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ujujoan: Let's say you had to decide to choose between your mum's advice and your husband's.

and the two shall become one flesh.
I'd personally go with hubby wink
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Kobojunkie: 12:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
Omo Alata:

and the two shall become one flesh.
I'd personally go with hubby wink

. . .NoT ONE MIND! Let's please get that part right.

There is nothing more annoying than trying to suggest because two people share a life together, they should also both think alike. Would that not be an indictment, of some kind, on God decision to create them as two separate people with different experiences and overall desires, at the end of the day?

1 Like

Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

There is nothing more annoying than trying to suggest because two people share a life together, they should also both think alike. Would that not be an indictment, of some kind, on God decision to create them as two separate people with different experiences and overall desires, at the end of the day?
grin grin grin
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 16, 2012
^^ Check a e-mail gi!
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by Nobody: 12:59pm On Aug 16, 2012
afuru'm mia, edere'm gi reply since
Re: Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . by OmoAlata(f): 5:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

The mother-in-law is still a 3rd party tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ageing: The Vanity of Beauty (Touching Photos) / Photos:my 1-year Old Cousin's Rapid Growth And Development Would Awe You / L Am In A State Of Dilemma. Advice Please!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.