Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. (2355 Views)

Dont Be Deceived In Church Today Brethren. / Ghanaian Pastors Are Proving Worse Than Nigeria’s / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 16, 2012
1 Thessalonians 5:21 NIV
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

1 John 4:1-6 NIV
1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognise the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognise the Spirit (Or spirit, in footnotes) of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43 AMP
24 Another parable He set forth before them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field.
25 But while he was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed also darnel (weeds resembling wheat) among the wheat, and went on his way.
26 So when the plants sprouted and formed grain, the darnel (weeds) appeared also.
27 And the servants of the owner came to him and said, Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? Then how does it have darnel shoots in it?
28 He replied to them, An enemy has done this. The servants said to him, Then do you want us to go and weed them out?
29 But he said, No, lest in gathering the wild wheat (weeds resembling wheat) you root us the [true] wheat along with it.
30 Let them grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will say to the reapers, Gather the darnel first and bind it in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my granary.
36 Then He left the throngs and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him saying, Explain to us the parable of the darnel in the field.
37 He answered, He Who sows the good seed is the Son of Man.
38 The field is the world, and the good seed means the children of the kingdom; the darnel is the children of the evil one,
39 And the enemy who sowed it is the devil. The harvest is the close and consummation of the age, and the reapers are angels.
40 Just as the darnel (weeds resembling wheat) is gathered and burned with fire, so it will be at the close of the age.
41 The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His Kingdom all causes of offense [persons by whom others are drawn into error or sin] and all who do iniquity and act wickedly,
42 And will cast them into the furnace of fire; there will be weeping and wailing and grinding of teeth.
43 Then will the righteous (those who are upright and in right standing with God) shine forth like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Let him who has ears [to hear] be listening, and let him consider and perceive and understand by hearing. [Dan 12:3.]

1 Corinthians 4:5 NIV
Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

Romans 14:4, 10, 13 AMP
4 Who are you to pass judgment on and censure another's household servant? It is before his master that he stands or falls. And he shall stand and be upheld, for the Master (the Lord) is mighty to support him and make him stand.
10 Why do you criticize and pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you look down upon or despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God.
13 Then let us no more criticize and blame and pass judgment on one another, but rather decide and endeavor never to put a stumbling block or an obstacle or a hindrance in the way of a brother.

1 Corinthians 2:15 AMP
But the spiritual man tries all things [he examines, investigates, inquires into, questions and discerns all things], yet is himself to be put on trial and judged by no one [he can read the meaning of everything, but no one can properly discern or appraise or get an insight into him].

1 Corinthians 3:1 NIV
Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly - mere infants in Christ.

My brothers and sisters, what think you of these passages? For two millenia now, there has been greater or less furor with respect to interpretation of the Scriptures. How are we to know which interpretations are true? How are we to know which are false? How can we discern and maintain the brotherhood even while error persists?

Your thoughts, please.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 16, 2012
Scripture is the key.

If we ask God for wisdom through his Spirit he will reveal to us the hidden manna.

A lot of confusion in the church today has arisen because of personal interpretations of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

The bible says exactly what it is supposed to mean, yet many of us attempt to twist scripture , to make it adhere to our preconceived notions and tradition.

We can maintain brotherhood if we all agree on the following :

1. Jesus Christ is the SON of GOD
2. He both hates and forgives SIN
3. There is no other way to be saved but through Christ.
4. Follow peace with all men and Holiness without which no man will see the Lord
5. That there is wrath for SIN and forgiveness for sinners.
6. Except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of GOD
7. The greatest commandment is LOVE.

We can disagree on the minors such as Hell, rapture, tribulation , tithing but still remain brothers, no one is perfect.

Will add any more when I remember.

1 Like

Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 16, 2012
frosbel: Scripture is the key.

If we ask God for wisdom through his Spirit he will reveal to us the hidden manna.

A lot of confusion in the church today has arisen because of personal interpretations of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

The bible says exactly what it is supposed to mean, yet many of us attempt to twist scripture , to make it adhere to our preconceived notions and tradition.

4. Follow peace with all men and Holiness without which no man will see the Lord

We can disagree on the minors such as Hell, rapture, tribulation , tithing but still remain brothers, no one is perfect.

Thank you. Waiting on other commenters. Will comment later on your post.

Edited.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by cyrexx: 11:57am On Aug 16, 2012
PAUL SAID, "God is not the author of confusion," (I Corinthians 14:33), yet never has a book produced more confusion than the bible! There are hundreds of denominations and sects, all using the "inspired Scriptures" to prove their conflicting doctrines.

Why do trained theologians differ? Why do educated translators disagree over Greek and Hebrew meanings? Why all the confusion? Shouldn't a document that was "divinely inspired" by an omniscient and omnipotent deity be as clear as possible?

"If the trumpet give an uncertain sound," Paul wrote in I Corinthians 14:8, "who shall prepare himself to the battle? So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air." Exactly! Paul should have practiced what he preached. For almost two millennia, the bible has been producing a most "uncertain sound."

The problem is not with human limitations, as some claim. The problem is the bible itself. People who are free of theological bias notice that the bible contains hundreds of discrepancies. Should it surprise us when such a literary and moral mish-mash, taken seriously, causes so much discord? Here is a brief sampling of biblical contradictions.

source

2 Likes

Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 16, 2012
as usual atheists gate crash into articles that specifically mention ' Brethren '.

Oh their obsession with God, they just cannot do with or without him, lol. grin
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 16, 2012
cyrexx: PAUL SAID, "God is not the author of confusion," (I Corinthians 14:33), yet never has a book produced more confusion than the bible! There are hundreds of denominations and sects, all using the "inspired Scriptures" to prove their conflicting doctrines.

Why do trained theologians differ? Why do educated translators disagree over Greek and Hebrew meanings? Why all the confusion? Shouldn't a document that was "divinely inspired" by an omniscient and omnipotent deity be as clear as possible?

"If the trumpet give an uncertain sound," Paul wrote in I Corinthians 14:8, "who shall prepare himself to the battle? So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air." Exactly! Paul should have practiced what he preached. For almost two millennia, the bible has been producing a most "uncertain sound."

The problem is not with human limitations, as some claim. The problem is the bible itself. People who are free of theological bias notice that the bible contains hundreds of discrepancies. Should it surprise us when such a literary and moral mish-mash, taken seriously, causes so much discord? Here is a brief sampling of biblical contradictions.

source

I fully appreciate the problem you have presented, but I honestly think you would have been better served simply observing our responses. Or opening a thread to show that the Bible is a very cacophony of concepts.

If you will accept my plea, please leave us to sort out our issues. It's a family thing, not available for input from all and sundry.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 16, 2012
@Frosbel, you see the tenets that you set out in your post to decide who is acceptable as a Christian and who isn't? They are borne of interpretations of the Scriptures too.

The difficulties that I have set out include the fact that we need to learn how to separate true interpretations from false. But it is impossible to receive the Scriptures, or anything else, I might add, in raw form. Interpretation is to the Scriptures what digestion is to food.

In that sense, interpretation is personal. The question is how to know the person interpreting? How do we know that this interpretation is the Spirit's and not anti-christ's?

Then again, how can we separate true from false interpretations or doctrines, if you prefer, without damaging the unity of the Body?

Do you see the problems that are set before us? Like Cyrexx said, there are a great many movements resulting from a rejection of one brand of interpretations and a creation or adoption of another brand. But Jesus made clear that He has only one Church. There cannot be divisions of any sort in it, not even in the minor things (whoever decides and on whatever criteria they decide which things are minor and which are not).

It is my desire to bring to the fore that the Spirit is one, the Church is one, the Faith is one, the Lord is one, the Baptism is one, the Hope is one, God is one. That is why this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by cyrexx: 12:42pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I fully appreciate the problem you have presented, but I honestly think you would have been better served simply observing our responses. Or opening a thread to show that the Bible is a very cacophony of concepts.

If you will accept my plea, please leave us to sort out our issues. It's a family thing, not available for input from all and sundry.

says who?

what i just posted is totally relevant to the topic of this thread.

this is nairaland, not a christian fellowship website, where everything you say goes without independent thinking from the readers. Anybody is free to post anything as long as it is within the confines of the topic of the thread. that "family thing" you are talking about only works in your place of worship, not on a public forum.

besides, did you forget how ur brother called the bluff of non-christians. if you see nothing wrong with that, then you should see nothing wrong with my post here too.

1 Like

Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
cyrexx:

says who?

this is nairaland, not a christian fellowship website, where everything you say goes without independent thinking from the readers. Anybody is free to post anything as long as it is within the confines of the topic of the thread. that "family thing" you are talking about only works in your place of worship, not on a public forum.

besides, did you forget how ur brother called the bluff of non-christians. if you see nothing wrong with that, then you should see nothing wrong with my post here too.

Fine.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by truthislight: 5:36pm On Aug 16, 2012
cyrexx: PAUL SAID, "God is not the author of confusion," (I Corinthians 14:33), yet never has a book produced more confusion than the bible! There are hundreds of denominations and sects, all using the "inspired Scriptures" to prove their conflicting doctrines.

source

Hahaha,

i had thought and surprised that Cyrexx has so much bible knowledge not knowing it was from an atheist web sight.

I cant really see what you called contradiction there though.

But you know that an equation that you cant solve may appear faulty and impossible to you.

However, the fact that the equation is beyond your comprehension does not mean it has no solution.

I just did not see any contradiction guy.
Peace
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by cyrexx: 5:44pm On Aug 16, 2012
truthislight:

Hahaha,

i had thought and surprised that Cyrexx has so much bible knowledge not knowing it was from an atheist web sight.

I cant really see what you call contradiction their though.
But you know that an equation that you cant solve may appear faulty and impossible to you.
However, the fact that the equation is beyond your comprehension does not mean it has no solution.

I just did not see any contradiction guy.
Peace

who do you think the atheists are? You think they are ignorant of bible. You are wrong. Many of us know the bible and quran more than many of you and your pastors and imams. We concluded it's all bullcrap after shedding some religious bias required to turn a blind eye to the errors contained therein.

The atheist website you are refering to is written by a former pastor who knows the bible in and out more than you.

I personally can engage you on any biblical topic if i want to.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by truthislight: 6:00pm On Aug 16, 2012
cyrexx:

says who?

all should be free to post on a public forum.

But guy, why not be particular with your objections one at a time and not your general approach?

In so doing you will show consideration for others and their stand.

Afterall theist Do post and freely at that at atheist threads.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by truthislight: 6:10pm On Aug 16, 2012
cyrexx:

who do you think the atheists are? You think they are ignorant of bible. You are wrong. Many of us know the bible and quran more than many of you and your pastors and imams. We concluded it's all bullcrap after shedding some religious bias required to turn a blind eye to the errors contained therein.

The atheist website you are refering to is written by a former pastor who knows the bible in and out more than you.

I personally can engage you on any biblical topic if i want to.

its a free world.

That they are contradiction to you must they be to me?

Lol.

And when did i said that i know the bible more than you or any one else?
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by cyrexx: 6:13pm On Aug 16, 2012
truthislight:

all should be free to post on a public forum.

But guy, why not be particular with your objections one at a time and not your general approach?

In so doing you will show consideration for others and their stand.

Afterall theist Do post and freely at that at atheist threads.

you must think i'm inconsiderate and want to bash religion without a reason. wrong.

many religionists cant open any thread without addressing the atheists and one was recently opened to purposely bash atheism/humanist philosophies. im sure you will see nothing wrong with that. but you will think it is wrong if we return the favor to them in kind.

dont be biased and see things objectively like a third party and you will know that what i am doing here is not out place.

but i will take heed to your admonition @ bolded
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 7:06pm On Aug 16, 2012
@ Ihedinobi and OP,

This is a very sensitive issue and we should treat as such. God has raised you and the likes for such a time as this. I pray the Grace of God on you will increase for the good work of the ministry. I am highly interested in this thread and the whatever edifies the body of Christ. The truth is, the bible speaks for itself like frosbel said. However, proving all things and holding unto that which is good is a function of STUDYING the word. Truth is mixed with error due to the following reasons:

1. False men have invaded the church of God as prophesied by our Lord Jesus - everyone in the body of Christ are not working towards same goal and objective anymore. Some are building "the kingdom" while some are building "their kingdom and denomination"

2. The principles of "interpreting the scriptures with scriptures" had been neglected.

3. The scriptures had been grossly taken out of context and given a man made interpretation to suite man made idea. Hence, our good idea had replaced God's idea.

How then shall we know who and who is right since we all speak from the same bible - The key is CONTEXT, INTERPRET SCRIPTURES WITH SCRIPTURES and STUDY which involves checking the length, breath and depth of every scriptures regarding a subject matter. I have more to say but will prefer to unfold more as the thread progresses.

1 Like

Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 16, 2012
^^ I think #1 and #2 covered everything. Man-made interpretations issue from two things, I believe: (1) the spirit of anti-christ and (2) immaturity in believers.

Do you, my brother Goshen360 disagree with that? Does anyone else here?
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 9:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ihedinobi: ^^ I think #1 and #2 covered everything. Man-made interpretations issue from two things, I believe: (1) the spirit of anti-christ and (2) immaturity in believers.

Do you, my brother Goshen360 disagree with that? Does anyone else here?

I agree with the above 100% and as mentioned before, I have a lot to say about many errors mixed with truth in the body of Christ. How do we know who and who is saying the truth since we all have one scriptural verse to back up our claim? It's very simple - Rightly dividing the word of truth is the answer.

I had also wanted to mention the highlighted in my first comment but thought I can bring them up one after the other. The bible verse that goes with the highlighted above is,

For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which [be] the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk [is] unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, [even] those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Heb. 5:12-14 Kjv.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
Goshen360:

I agree with the above 100% and as mentioned before, I have a lot to say about many errors mixed with truth in the body of Christ. How do we know who and who is saying the truth since we all have one scriptural verse to back up our claim? It's very simple - Rightly dividing the word of truth is the answer.

I had also wanted to mention the highlighted in my first comment but thought I can bring them up one after the other. The bible verse that goes with the highlighted above is,

For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which [be] the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk [is] unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, [even] those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Heb. 5:12-14 Kjv.

Quite right. But I'll be on hand to go on dealing with it from tomorrow. Getting ready to go to bed now.

1 Like

Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 10:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
No problem bro. I stand with you in truth as we minister the word in spirit and in truth.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by ijawkid(m): 12:33am On Aug 17, 2012
frosbel: Scripture is the key.

I totally agree with u bro..........

Frosbel oya raise up yÀ white flag.......:-)
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by ijawkid(m): 12:44am On Aug 17, 2012
Ihedinobi: @Frosbel, you see the tenets that you set out in your post to decide who is acceptable as a Christian and who isn't? They are borne of interpretations of the Scriptures too.

The difficulties that I have set out include the fact that we need to learn how to separate true interpretations from false. But it is impossible to receive the Scriptures, or anything else, I might add, in raw form. Interpretation is to the Scriptures what digestion is to food.

In that sense, interpretation is personal. The question is how to know the person interpreting? How do we know that this interpretation is the Spirit's and not anti-christ's?

Then again, how can we separate true from false interpretations or doctrines, if you prefer, without damaging the unity of the Body?

Do you see the problems that are set before us? Like Cyrexx said, there are a great many movements resulting from a rejection of one brand of interpretations and a creation or adoption of another brand. But Jesus made clear that He has only one Church. There cannot be divisions of any sort in it, not even in the minor things (whoever decides and on whatever criteria they decide which things are minor and which are not).

It is my desire to bring to the fore that the Spirit is one, the Church is one, the Faith is one, the Lord is one, the Baptism is one, the Hope is one, God is one. That is why this thread.

The true church will definitly be known by its fruits and actions,.......

Does that church follow Jesus every step or sometimes act presumpteously??

Does that church apply all of Jesus's admonisions and teachings??

Does that church follow d pattern set by the apostles who are also pillars of the church??

Those are pertinent questions 1 would wanna ask.........

To me the true church shuld never act out of impulse,but rather shuld be meeting up with every bible principle and standard....

And finally d true church shuld never have anythin to do with pagan myths and fallacies.....

Thanks.....

To me ever since d church got involved in the worlds affairs and raking in pagan ideas and practices, christianity has never been d same...

We all need to go back to how christianity was practiced by d apostles and 1st century christians....

They remained spotless and unblemished from this satan ruled world......
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by truthislight: 1:06am On Aug 17, 2012
cyrexx:

you must think i'm inconsiderate and want to bash religion without a reason. wrong.

many religionists cant open any thread without addressing the atheists and one was recently opened to purposely bash atheism/humanist philosophies. im sure you will see nothing wrong with that. but you will think it is wrong if we return the favor to them in kind.

dont be biased and see things objectively like a third party and you will know that what i am doing here is not out place.

but i will take heed to your admonition @ bolded

find and Good.
Peace
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by truthislight: 1:24am On Aug 17, 2012
Goshen360: @ Ihedinobi and OP,

This is a very sensitive issue and we should treat as such. God has raised you and the likes for such a time as this. I pray the Grace of God on you will increase for the good work of the ministry. I am highly interested in this thread and the whatever edifies the body of Christ. The truth is, the bible speaks for itself like frosbel said. However, proving all things and holding unto that which is good is a function of STUDYING the word. Truth is mixed with error due to the following reasons:

1. False men have invaded the church of God as prophesied by our Lord Jesus - everyone in the body of Christ are not working towards same goal and objective anymore. Some are building "the kingdom" while some are building "their kingdom and denomination"

2. The principles of "interpreting the scriptures with scriptures" had been neglected.

3. The scriptures had been grossly taken out of context and given a man made interpretation to suite man made idea. Hence, our good idea had replaced God's idea.

How then shall we know who and who is right since we all speak from the same bible - The key is CONTEXT, INTERPRET SCRIPTURES WITH SCRIPTURES and STUDY which involves checking the length, breath and depth of every scriptures regarding a subject matter. I have more to say but will prefer to unfold more as the thread progresses.

my interest in you post is the question "how do we know what is right"?

Well, for a start for that knowledge to be truth from God's word it most be base on God's word.

With that i mean, it should agree with the bible from GENESIS to Revelation.

TO get this and rightly so it needs the love for the truth (2thessolonians 2:10-12, truth = John17:17)

and to get this truth involves seriouse search proverbs 2:1-5

only possible if one really have the love for the truth.
Peace
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Ishilove: 2:45am On Aug 17, 2012
ijawkid:

And finally d true church shuld never have anythin to do with pagan myths and fallacies.....

Thanks.....

To me ever since d church got involved in the worlds affairs and raking in pagan ideas and practices, christianity has never been d same...

We all need to go back to how christianity was practiced by d apostles and 1st century christians....

Hmmm, does that include celebrations with known pagan origins, like easter and Christmas?
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Iyanuj1: 3:44am On Aug 17, 2012
U've really tried
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by cyrexx: 7:03am On Aug 17, 2012
The "church"/christianity is in error because Christians are mostly hypocrites and here's why:

Christians, they love to talk about how loving, dutiful and compassionate they are, yet I have yet to meet ONE who does not practice hypocrisy to the highest degree. Their willful ignorance of the Bible combined with their two-faced idealism to preach it, has made us non-believers sick, hasn’t it? For nearly two thousand years Bible punchers have been lecturing people on the importance of adhering to the Bible’s teachings on ethics, manners, and morality. They quote Jesus and Paul profusely, with a liberal sprinkling of Old Testament moralism.

The problem with their approach lies not only in an oft- noted failure to practice what they preach, but an equally pronounced tendency to ignore what the Bible itself, preaches. Christians practice what can only be described as “selective morality”. What they like, they cling to and shove down other’s throats; what they don’t like, they ignore vehemently. That which is palatable and acceptable is supposedly applicable to all; while that which is obnoxious, inconvenient, or self-denying is only applicable to those addressed 2,000 years ago.

Their hypocrisy is so rampant that even the validity of calling oneself “Christian” is in question. I see so many people enjoy quoting the scriptures they like, but don’t even PRETEND to obey other, equally valid scriptures from the same bible.

bunch of hypocrites.

see my post here.

2 Likes

Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by ijawkid(m): 7:17am On Aug 17, 2012
Ishilove:
Hmmm, does that include celebrations with known pagan origins, like easter and Christmas?

Lol....I never open mouth talk o......lol....

But YES shuld be d answer....

Christianity isn't wat it used to be and might not never be what it used to be if we don't purge out these pagan practices and myths off our bible trained conscience.......

I mean ALL of them........

The apostles practiced christianity as it shuld be......they received 1st hand d holy spirit and were guided to pen down how d true church shuld be run.....

but 2 centuries after d death of d apostles and 1st century christians christianity turned out to be something else........

Professed christians started engaging in wars,politics,pagan festivals....

That tainted christianity a lot and now all we receive is insults from both muslims and atheists....

If we had kept to Jesus's words,observed and followed his actions and also followed up the apostles we wuld have less insults today.....let it be that d reason we shuld be bashed is for our good works

Let us go back to true christianity so that we ourselves who claim to be christians can have the chance to survive into Gods kingdom.....

Abi no be so??
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by ijawkid(m): 7:29am On Aug 17, 2012
cyrexx: The "church"/christianity is in error because Christians are mostly hypocrites and here's why:

Christians, they love to talk about how loving, dutiful and compassionate they are, yet I have yet to meet ONE who does not practice hypocrisy to the highest degree. Their willful ignorance of the Bible combined with their two-faced idealism to preach it, has made us non-believers sick, hasn’t it? For nearly two thousand years Bible punchers have been lecturing people on the importance of adhering to the Bible’s teachings on ethics, manners, and morality. They quote Jesus and Paul profusely, with a liberal sprinkling of Old Testament moralism.

The problem with their approach lies not only in an oft- noted failure to practice what they preach, but an equally pronounced tendency to ignore what the Bible itself, preaches. Christians practice what can only be described as “selective morality”. What they like, they cling to and shove down other’s throats; what they don’t like, they ignore vehemently. That which is palatable and acceptable is supposedly applicable to all; while that which is obnoxious, inconvenient, or self-denying is only applicable to those addressed 2,000 years ago.

Their hypocrisy is so rampant that even the validity of calling oneself “Christian” is in question. I see so many people enjoy quoting the scriptures they like, but don’t even PRETEND to obey other, equally valid scriptures from the same bible.

bunch of hypocrites.

see my post here.

Na so u dey vex for d bible reach??:-).......

But a true christian isn't a hypocrite.....

A true christian follows what d bible teaches......

Infact its because many who claim to be christians stopped following Jesus a long time ago that's why ur hating on christianity....

And I understand every bit of ur worries as regards christianity....

But soon or mayb in d future u'll find true christianity....its out there....

Someday ,somehow u will see it........
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by truthislight: 9:16am On Aug 17, 2012
cyrexx: The "church"/christianity is in error because Christians are mostly hypocrites and here's why:

bunch of hypocrites.

see my post here.

see how usefull cyexx has become!!!

Thanks bro.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Nobody: 9:07pm On Aug 17, 2012
Goshen360:

Unless you, my brother, are specially anointed so that the bolded is simple for you and you haven't told us so, rightly dividing the word of truth has not proved a simple task. I'm not being confrontational. I am trying to bring to your consciousness the gravity of the issue.

If it was so simple, why has it proved such a difficulty over the past two thousand years? There is more to this matter than we might be able to see at first glance. More on this later.

Now this is very succinct. With this, one of the two pillars upholding the problem has been made abundantly clear: the immaturity of believers.

In a number of places in the epistles written by Paul and Peter, at least, there were allusions to development that is analogous to the growth of a human from childhood through adolescence into adulthood. In other threads, I have endeavored to show that these allusions were not merely metaphorical but actual.

Being born again is essentially starting life afresh. It's getting a new, unwritten book to begin one's history afresh. And all the phases of development that a child of Adam passes through to attain adulthood have correspondence with the phases of development that a child of God passes through to attain adulthood too.

This means that we ought to take recognition of the peculiarities of each phase. What is expected of an adult cannot be rightly expected of a child, and what is expected of a child should not be found in an adult. This applies even with respect to the right understanding of the Word of Truth. It is not fair to expect of a young believer (and remember that in spiritual reckoning, physical age does not always equate spiritual maturity, nor does number of years of having been living in salvation and reading a Bible equate the same) an unassailable understanding of the Lord. His understanding is normally in development so "error" or, more correctly, mistakes and confusion from him should come as no surprise. Where things get bad is if he does not grow out of those halting baby steps into firm understanding of the Lord's Character. And if he is entrusted with other believers to nurture. And both of these cases are redeemable.

I have gone this far to explain that some wrong interpretations can come from genuine believers, those who have Christ within them. So, when we try to separate wrong teachings from right, we should be careful of them, because attacking their wrong understanding could result in terrible wounding of the Body. And, let me assure you, my brother, Jesus Christ does not take it easy with anyone, believer or not, who hurts any of His Brethren. I am not speaking things that I merely studied. I am telling you things that have played out in my life. However, the Bible says that we should restore members of the family with gentleness, that those who are strong should cover the weakness of the weak ones and not destroy them with our greater understanding.

I believe I already touched on all these, even if only slightly, at the other thread concerning Russell and Prince. That battle, if I may call it so even though it was quite one-sided, is a very good instance of one Christian tearing up another for the sake of truth. That is something the Lord Jesus treats with great vengeance. He does not brook arrogance of that sort. The instant grace is missing, it is no longer the Truth of Jesus Christ but some very hard weapon to destroy the body with. It no longer corrects, it only harms.

I believe this leads to the question, how do we know those errors that are made by Christians from those that are made by anti-Christ?

I'll deal with that when you indicate understanding and acceptance of all the foregoing. In the event that you have difficulties with any of the foregoing, I will deal with the difficulties before proceeding to deal with that question.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 2:29am On Aug 18, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I have gone this far to explain that some wrong interpretations can come from genuine believers, those who have Christ within them. So, when we try to separate wrong teachings from right, we should be careful of them, because attacking their wrong understanding could result in terrible wounding of the Body. And, let me assure you, my brother, Jesus Christ does not take it easy with anyone, believer or not, who hurts any of His Brethren. I am not speaking things that I merely studied. I am telling you things that have played out in my life. However, the Bible says that we should restore members of the family with gentleness, that those who are strong should cover the weakness of the weak ones and not destroy them with our greater understanding.

I believe I already touched on all these, even if only slightly, at the other thread concerning Russell and Prince. That battle, if I may call it so even though it was quite one-sided, is a very good instance of one Christian tearing up another for the sake of truth. That is something the Lord Jesus treats with great vengeance. He does not brook arrogance of that sort. The instant grace is missing, it is no longer the Truth of Jesus Christ but some very hard weapon to destroy the body with. It no longer corrects, it only harms.

I believe this leads to the question, how do we know those errors that are made by Christians from those that are made by anti-Christ?

I'll deal with that when you indicate understanding and acceptance of all the foregoing. In the event that you have difficulties with any of the foregoing, I will deal with the difficulties before proceeding to deal with that question.

I decided to quote the above part of your write-up because it contains some truth. The only truth I agree to is that of speaking the truth to other believers in love. Off course, there are believers who will teach what is only passed down to them from ages and will never bother to search the word on their own. Many of the false teachings and error are being foretold and we are also being told to defend the truth. How shall be let go when we see some men claiming to be part of us but the pervert or suppress the truth, shall we fold our arms and keep looking? You have said the truth about correcting our brethren in love but also we have to defend the truth that had been proved.

You can proceed to the next issue bro except you wish to comment on this post of mine.
Re: Truth And Error In The Church. Proving All Things. Brethren, Let Us Discuss. by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:52am On Aug 18, 2012
Here is an article of Dr. Henry Morris on the interpretation of the Scriptures.

Interpreting The Bible
August 17, 2012

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" (2 Peter 1:20,21).

One basic reason why so many people seem to have trouble understanding the Bible is that they try to "interprete" it to fit their private opinions. The Greek word for "private" (idios) is related to such English words as "idiom" and "idiosyncrasy," and this key passage warns us against any exposition of Scripture which is based on the teacher’s pet doctrinal or behavioural prejudices. A reader or hearer of the word of God whose "heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing" will be unable to "understand" (Matthew 13:15) because he comes with his mind and heart already bound to his own opinions.

The Bible does not need to be "interpreted" at all. In every other New Testament reference to "interpretation," except the one in our text (which means "explanation" or "exposition" ), the meaning is simply "translation." The Bible does, of course, need to be correctly translated from Greek and Hebrew into English and other national languages, but that is all. God is able to say what He means, and He wants to communicate His authoritative word to men and women of obedient hearts, who are willing to devote diligent study to all the Scriptures (2 Timothy 2:15; Hebrews 5:12–14), to obey them (James 1:22), and then teach them to others (2 Timothy 2:2,24–26), carefully, and clearly, and graciously.

To such sincere students of the word, the promise is: "Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God" (Proverbs 2:3–5). HMM

For more . . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wooing A Lady With The BIBLE / WEALTH: Who Did God Create Wealth For, Believers Or Unbelievers? / Jesus Christ, The Myths And The Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.