Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,073 members, 7,818,203 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems (12456 Views)

Dangers Of Mixing Alcohol And Energy Drinks. / The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water / Energy Drinks Cause High Blood Pressure, Doctor Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Slyr0x: 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2012

Are you in that population of alcohol consumers who like to mix their drink with energy drinks? Well, this should interest you; researchers have warned that people who mix alcohol with energy drinks risk heart palpitations and disturbed sleep.

A study found that the highly-caffeinated drinks used by millions to make them extra-alert on a night out raised the odds of a range of health problems. shocked Revellers who used energy drinks as a mixer were six times as likely to suffer heart palpitations as those who drank their alcohol straight or with a normal soft drink. They also had four times the odds of sleep difficulties and were more prone to tremors, irritability and so-called jolt and crash episodes – sudden, short-lived bursts of energy followed by exhaustion.

The symptoms are similar to those produced by caffeine, one of the chief ingredients of energy drinks such as Red Bull.

One can of Red Bull contains 80mg of caffeine, around the same as two cans of cola and slightly less than a mug of instant coffee.

A spokesman from the British Soft Drinks Association said: ‘People who choose to drink alcoholic drinks should consume them in moderation, whether they are mixed with energy drinks or not.’

The results of the study revealed that energy drinks may cancel out some of alcohol’s sedating effects, leaving drinkers more awake and less likely to suffer signs of tipsiness such as slurred speech or clumsiness. But this alertness came at a cost.

Researcher Amy Peacock said: ‘They (subjects for the study) also had a greater chance of experiencing several side-effects linked to over-stimulation, including heart palpitations, increased speech speed, sleeping difficulties, agitation and tremors, jolt and crash episodes, irritability and tension.’

Some researchers have said that energy drinks’ masking of drunkenness could badly impair judgement, leading people to do things they might not do otherwise – such as drinking and driving or getting into fights. However, this study found the opposite to be true, with energy drink fans being less likely to take a range of risks.

But the researchers, who report their findings in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research (MUST CREDIT), said the topic needs to be studied more deeply and said that energy drink lovers shouldn’t assume that being extra alert somehow protects them from danger.

Previous research has linked energy drinks with heart problems, with just one can raising blood pressure and making blood more ‘sticky’- and so potentially raising the odds of heart attacks and strokes.

So when next you are at the bar, clubbing or just thinking of mixing that alcohol with an energy drink, remember the danger such a mixture poses to your health.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2189013/Alcohol-mixed-energy-drinks-raise-risk-heart-problems-conditions.html
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
One more reason to strengthen my resolve against the taking of anything alcoholic.
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
i really dont like energy drinks....they make me nervous!!!

1 Like

Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by ebamma(m): 4:53pm On Aug 16, 2012
okay lets go there
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by sammily(m): 4:56pm On Aug 16, 2012
We don hear *drinking beer from bottle*
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
OK!
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by strangest(m): 4:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
One thing go kill man, unless you live up to 130years and be the oldest and be the one shitting on yourself...

1 Like

Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
ha, jisox shocked
i do red label with power horse on the regular oo..

1 Like

Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by ismhab(m): 4:59pm On Aug 16, 2012
ALCOHOL IS NOT GOOD AT ALL.
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by uceee(m): 5:00pm On Aug 16, 2012
If u are gonna drink alcohol, go ahead and drink it. Just drink with moderation, keeping in mind how much u can take and still operate normally. If its energy drinks u wish to drink, then go ahead. It doesn't make sense to mix it.

1 Like

Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by MrWhy1(m): 5:06pm On Aug 16, 2012
water is the best energy drink cool .

2 Likes

Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by MrWhy1(m): 5:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
Alcohol is a silent killer shocked
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Tolaaaaannni(f): 5:13pm On Aug 16, 2012
Also eating too much red meat can raise your risk of heart problems. undecided This life is a risk. But why mix alcohol and energy drinks together in the first place
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by born2boink(m): 5:18pm On Aug 16, 2012
ismhab: ALCOHOL IS NOT GOOD AT ALL.
but it is my best friend

2 Likes

Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 16, 2012
Why anyone would mix alcohol, a depressant, with a caffeine-laden energy drink, a stimulant, still baffles me. You are subjecting your entire circulatory system to unnecessary pressure. Its not even the heart that should be the only organ of note here, other highly perfused ones like the kidneys would suffer a negative fate in the long run.
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2012
JaiyeJeje: Why anyone would mix alcohol, a depressant, with a caffeine-laden energy drink, a stimulant, still baffles me. You are subjecting your entire circulatory system to unnecessary pressure. Its not even the heart that should be the only organ of note here, other highly perfused ones like the kidneys would suffer a negative fate in the long run.
you're supposed to be getting drunk not worrying mahn! tongue
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by mercurie(f): 5:36pm On Aug 16, 2012
Almost all foods or drinks consumed are now risk 2 human lives through researches, may God c us 2ru

1 Like

Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Ninilowo(m): 5:37pm On Aug 16, 2012
Nigerian are resistant to all these theories abegiii.
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
Anyway....I take alcoholic drinks...And for ur information takin alcohol is not analogous to irresponsibility....I'm not that kind of drinker...I'm the kind of drinker that takes a long nap wen tipsy...Anyway noted...No more takin alcohol with energy drinks...If u want to say becos of one thing or the other u won't do some things u will end up not enjoyin life for what it is.....And life is short..So.... A great french cook called Julia Child was once criticized for are too fatty recipes and are response was " The key is to do everything in moderation, I believe pple shud enjoy and savor their meals...Paying too much attention to nutrition won't allow u too enjoy food and enjoy life" My philosophy is too live on the edge; atleast once in a while.

1 Like

Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by MrWhy1(m): 5:42pm On Aug 16, 2012
mercurie: Almost all foods or drinks consumed are now risk 2 human lives through researches, may God c us 2ru

Oh yea, because most "modern food and drinks" are chemicalized.

If you want to stay healthy, better yet, eat natural food and eat natural drinks.
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by sirp2007: 5:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
JaiyeJeje: Why anyone would mix alcohol, a depressant, with a caffeine-laden energy drink, a stimulant, still baffles me. You are subjecting your entire circulatory system to unnecessary pressure. Its not even the heart that should be the only organ of note here, other highly perfused ones like the kidneys would suffer a negative fate in the long run.
l wish u can help me say this louder, HOW can one mix DEPRESSANT AND STIMULANT ? its a puzzle tht still baffles me.
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Burger01(m): 5:53pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ok. Noted. #gulping chilled bottle of Guilder beer#
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Burger01(m): 5:55pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mr--Why:

Oh yea, because most "modern food and drinks" are chemicalized.

If you want to stay healthy, better yet, eat natural food and eat natural drinks.

Oga, pardon me, se we dey 'eat drinks'?
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Revolva(m): 5:58pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ok ooo no one person no go hear from study ...now from eating yolks of egg is dangerous but na d same pple tell us say egg is protienous '''now na alcahol omo I no gree hands down ....its good for me redbull powerhorse , mix with gin or nite train ....gbosa
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by jspac(m): 6:00pm On Aug 16, 2012
12 inches!:
Anyway....I take alcoholic drinks...And for ur information takin alcohol is not analogous to irresponsibility....I'm not that kind of drinker...I'm the kind of drinker that takes a long nap wen tipsy...Anyway noted...No more takin alcohol with energy drinks...If u want to say becos of one thing or the other u won't do some things u will end up not enjoyin life for what it is.....And life is short..So.... A great french cook called Julia Child was once criticized for are too fatty recipes and are response was " The key is to do everything in moderation, I believe pple shud enjoy and savor their meals...Paying too much attention to nutrition won't allow u too enjoy food and enjoy life" My philosophy is too live on the edge; atleast once in a while.
Live life before it leaves you, live fast DIE YOUNG!
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 16, 2012
All dat one na super-story. Na one thing must kill man for this life, so go on and enjoy yourself before you depart.

Having said that, I've never really been a fan of energy drinks just because I dont like the taste. . .but alcohol? Pleeeeeze. . .I'd give that up on my deathbed. Being a teetotaller is the worst self-inflicted punishment imaginable.

As the legendary sage, Lord Byron, rightly points out, "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but Intoxication".

2 Likes

Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by queensmith: 6:10pm On Aug 16, 2012
no more i'm drinkin drinkin drinkin rum and red buul! lol

im stil wondering why they banned 4loko sad
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Maxymilliano(m): 6:18pm On Aug 16, 2012
McDowell and Climax energy drink on my mind, not forgetting my fav brand of Cig.
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 16, 2012
js_pac: Live life before it leaves you, live fast DIE YOUNG!

I pray I live to be 70 and over but I prefer to die young than to not av lived at all. Look at 2pac...lived jst 23 yrs yet we still talk abt him and listen to his music today. So many 70 year olds that die everyday and no one even knw them or their loss of existence.
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by MrWhy1(m): 6:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
Burger01:

Oga, pardon me, se we dey 'eat drinks'?

I meant to type 'drink'.
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by MrWhy1(m): 6:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
12 inches!:

I pray I live to be 70 and over but I prefer to die young than to not av lived at all. Look at 2pac...lived jst 23 yrs yet we still talk abt him and listen to his music today. So many 70 year olds that die everyday and no one even knw them or their loss of existence.

2pac's mum told him that , "if you don't have something to live for, you better find something to die for".

He lived and died an activist through his music and sayings.

What are you living for and are you ready to die for a cause so that your name can be immortalized ?
Re: Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems by jameszikman: 6:55pm On Aug 16, 2012
So shall it be unto u jst as u said

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Fight Depression / COVID-19: Akin Abayomi Tells Lagos Residents Above 65 To Avoid Worship Centres / Nafdac Says Foreign Eva Soap Is Fake.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.