Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,988 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? (5130 Views)

10 Sermons That Makes The Congregation Dislike Their Pastors / 10 Ways Youths React When Their Pastors Say They Should Not Engage in Sex / How Nigerian Christians Make Their Pastors To Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by razznaija(f): 7:10pm On Aug 16, 2012
Some time ago i was watching a religious broadcast and when it came to the testimony time, an elderly man was saying his testimony and he kept referring to the pastor as daddy when he obviously looked a lot older than the pastor; I was mildly irritated by it. Even when i'm reading comments on NL about pastors there's always one person that will refer to the pastor as papa, daddy or even father, why do Nigerians do that? its not like the pastor is even doing anything for them and there's nothing special about those MOG's either; i bet if they had a problem and they went to their so called father he would just dump them like hot coal.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:14pm On Aug 16, 2012
i call pastors b**ch
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by OmoAlata(f): 9:05pm On Aug 16, 2012
It's just a spiritual respect grin
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by tpia5: 1:14am On Aug 17, 2012
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by razznaija(f): 5:02pm On Aug 17, 2012
86 views and just two comments. sad sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by OmoAlata(f): 1:14am On Aug 18, 2012
razznaija: 86 views and just two comments. sad sad sad sad

Romans 13: 1-3

13 Everybody gotta listen da guys dat stay in charge a da law. Dey get da power fo tell da odda peopo wat fo do, you know. But da power dey get, God wen give um dat. Da guys dat stay get power right now, dey da ones dat stay in charge cuz God wen make um lidat. 2 Dat mean, if get somebody dat go agains da kine peopo dat get dat kine power, az jalike dey going agains da way how God wen go make one govermen fo us. If get anybody dat make lidat, dey goin get it from God da Judge.

3 If you do da right tings how suppose to, no need be scared a da guys dat stay in charge a da law. But den, if you do da bad kine stuff dass no good, you bes be scared! So, if you no like stay scared a da peopo dat get power, make shua you go do ony da good kine stuff. Den wen you do da good kine stuff, az wen dey goin tell you dat you stay okay.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by ijawkid(m): 6:30am On Aug 18, 2012
Even Jesus refused to bear d name PAPA,rather he said we all ncluding HIM have 1 Father.....no other person than YAHWEH......

When I hear religious folks call there pastors and there wives papa and mama or mummy and daddy it gets me so annoyed....

I ask:::::do this people read d bible @ all??
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by alienvirus: 9:00am On Aug 18, 2012
There is a redeem pastor where I work. He refers to adeboye as daddy. One day I busted into laughter when he called someone Daddy APP. LOL!
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by MacDaddy01: 10:07am On Aug 18, 2012
razznaija: 86 views and just two comments. sad sad sad sad

lmao....many of them do it! grin grin grin grin

If any pastor wants me to call him daddy, he better buy me a private jet
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by CrazyMan(m): 10:09am On Aug 18, 2012
For respect I guess
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by MacDaddy01: 10:21am On Aug 18, 2012
CrazyMan: For respect I guess

Which dirty respect.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by Joagbaje(m): 10:30am On Aug 18, 2012
CrazyMan: For respect I guess

Yes of course and beyond that . There's actually a father to children relationship spiritually speaking. jesus often address his desciple as his children even though many were older than him.

John 13:33
Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

Paul did thesame too

Galatians 4:19
My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

The only reason for calling them children is because he assumed position of a father

Likewise John

1 John 2:1
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1 Corinthians 4:15
After all, though you should have ten thousand teachers (guides to direct you) in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the glad tidings (the Gospel).

Philippians 2:22
But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel.

It is not a law. It's based on relationship. Afterall it is not the person who gave birth that is parent but the person who raise the child.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by MacDaddy01: 11:57am On Aug 18, 2012
Joagbaje:

Yes of course and beyond that . There's actually a father to children relationship spiritually speaking. jesus often address his desciple as his children even though many were older than him.

John 13:33
Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

Paul did thesame too

Galatians 4:19
My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

The only reason for calling them children is because he assumed position of a father

Likewise John

1 John 2:1
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1 Corinthians 4:15
After all, though you should have ten thousand teachers (guides to direct you) in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the glad tidings (the Gospel).

Philippians 2:22
But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel.

It is not a law. It's based on relationship. Afterall it is not the person who gave birth that is parent but the person who raise the child.

As usual a tithe-preacher will twist scriptures to further his mission of deceiving his slave church members.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by razznaija(f): 4:43pm On Aug 19, 2012
I expected a thread like this to get to the front page instead of all those useless threads that are littering the front page.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 19, 2012
MacDaddy01:

As usual a tithe-preacher will twist scriptures to further his mission of deceiving his slave church members.

Nothing wey Jo no go preach with Scriptures...
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by Alaafialoro(m): 12:08am On Aug 20, 2012
@OP....Do you have any problem with that? If you can‘t call them ‘daddy‘,some people will gladly do so.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by Joagbaje(m): 8:33am On Aug 20, 2012
MacDaddy01:

no need for insult. l didnt quote from quoran. be humble to learn
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by MacDaddy01: 9:22am On Aug 20, 2012
Joagbaje:

no need for insult. l didnt quote from quoran. be humble to learn

Learn what? Dude, I was a christian before
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by Joagbaje(m): 11:52am On Aug 20, 2012
MacDaddy01:

. . . I was a christian before

you couldnt have been before. its either you never was or you didnt even know what chrostianity is. but you sincerely thought you did
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by MacDaddy01: 11:55am On Aug 20, 2012
Joagbaje:

you couldnt have been before. its either you never was or you didnt even know what chrostianity is. but you sincerely thought you did

Yes because you were with me when I was a Christian. ode
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by Joagbaje(m): 12:55pm On Aug 20, 2012
i didnt say you never went into a church. to be born again is to receive eternal life. i dont doubt you went into churches,but did you recieve eternal life. did you recieve the holyghost? did you taste the good word of God? being a christian is being born again. not just attending a church. thats what i meant
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 20, 2012
Joagbaje: i didnt say you never went into a church. to be born again is to receive eternal life. i dont doubt you went into churches,but did you recieve eternal life. did you recieve the holyghost? did you taste the good word of God? being a christian is being born again. not just attending a church. thats what i meant

Even the Bible affirms that people can have all that and still dump it... stop this fallacy, pls..

Hebrews 6:4-6

4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6[b] and who have fallen[c] away,[/b] to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 20, 2012
Omo Alata: It's just a spiritual respect grin
your bible told you not to call anyone father ehn
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by Ptolomeus(m): 7:53pm On Aug 20, 2012
Mhhhh call someone "Dad" or "Daddy" ... well ... I feel I have some sexual connotation ... I do not think that's necessary ...
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by shesco(m): 9:06am On Sep 04, 2012
If you think this is front page worthy, send a mail to one of the mods and it wil surely be moved to the front page.

razznaija: I expected a thread like this to get to the front page instead of all those useless threads that are littering the front page.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Call Their Pastors 'Papa' Or 'Daddy'? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:51am On Sep 04, 2012
Daddy yahweh, then? Lol!
ijawkid: Even Jesus refused to bear d name PAPA,rather he said we all ncluding HIM have 1 Father.....no other person than YAHWEH......

When I hear religious folks call there pastors and there wives papa and mama or mummy and daddy it gets me so annoyed....

I ask:::::do this people read d bible @ all??

(1) (Reply)

. / Shocking Verses In The Bible / Your Creators [(religions' God(s)]are Multi-dimensional Humanoid Aliens.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.