Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,428 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:18 AM

South African Police Kill Striking Miners! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South African Police Kill Striking Miners! (28234 Views)

Xenophobia: Zambian Radio Station Stops Playing South African Music / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African / South African police open fire on thousands of striking miners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Sagamite(m): 8:05pm On Aug 16, 2012
Deadly clashes at South Africa's Lonmin Marikana mine

Police in South Africa have opened fire during clashes with striking workers at the Marikana platinum mine, leaving at least seven people dead, witnesses say.

South African media reports put the death toll at 12 or even higher.

Police opened fire after miners carrying machetes defied an ultimatum to disarm, reports from the scene say.

The mine, owned by Lonmin, has been at the centre of a violent industrial dispute exacerbated by inter-union tensions.

Ten people had previously died as a result of clashes since the strike began last Friday.

The striking miners had gathered on a rocky hill near Marikana, the third-largest platinum mine in the world.

Some union leaders and police had tried in vain to disperse the crowd, some of whom said they were prepared to die on the hill.

During the clashes, missiles - thought to be either petrol bombs or grenades - were thrown at police, who responded by opening fire, eyewitnesses said.

Some reports said a group of miners had approached police lines before the shooting began.

One witness, Molaole Montsho, of the South African news agency Sapa, told the BBC police had first used teargas in an attempt to disperse the miners.

"The police threatened with them water from the water cannon, fired tear gas and stun grenades. And then in the commotion - we were about 800m (2,600ft) from the scene - we heard gunshots that lasted for about two minutes," he said.

He also said he had counted 18 bodies lying on the ground after the gunfire, but could not tell whether they were dead or alive.
Union rivalry

The recent violence was initially thought to have been triggered by a turf war between the long-established National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and the newly-formed Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU), which is more militant.

However, the AMCU has since demanded a pay rise of 12,000 rand ($1,500; £930) per month.

Lonmin said in a statement on Thursday that the strike was illegal and that any striking workers who did not return to work by Friday would be sacked.

The company said it had missed six days of production as a result of the unrest, and estimated it would lose around 2% of its normal yearly output of saleable platinum. The company's share price dropped by more than 6% on Thursday on the London Stock Exchange.

The violence has shocked South Africans, with many finding the scenes reminiscent of how the apartheid regime dealt with protests, the BBC's Milton Nkosi in Johannesburg reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-19286654
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Sagamite(m): 8:06pm On Aug 16, 2012
Well done, South African police!

I stand in ovation!

When people behave like barbaric animals, kill them like mere barbaric animals.

Slaughter them. Cretins!
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by fstranger8: 8:10pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sagamite: Well done, South African police!

I stand in ovation!

Slaughter them. Cretins!

Mr. plagiariser. Na here you dey?

Olodo, dumbomite. Cant write, cant think, calls himself intellectual god. Ode. You need to go learn about comma splices ASAP. Retarrddddd

4 Likes

Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Sagamite(m): 8:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
fstranger8:

Olodo, dumbomite. Cant write, cant think, calls himself intellectual god. Ode. You need to go learn about comma splices ASAP. Retarrddddd

Cretin, "can't". grin
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by naijacutee(f): 10:51pm On Aug 16, 2012

I stand in ovation!

Slaughter them. Cretins!

What an embarrassment. Human life does't mean anything to you?

2 Likes

Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by lavita2(f): 10:53pm On Aug 16, 2012
fstranger8:

lol..na wa o..wetin Mr. Saga do you na? grin

Meanwhile, welcome to Africa. The land of the black man. Black in all ramifications.
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by manny4life(m): 10:53pm On Aug 16, 2012
naijacutee:

You are a embarrassment. Human life does't mean anything to you?

I wouldn't ask that question if I were you else you be called a person (whatever the hell that means).
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 16, 2012

I stand in ovation!

Slaughter them. Cretins!
did u actually post this topic to type such a disgusting and wicked comment? Boy! U need to get ur brain diagnosed!smh for u.
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 16, 2012
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by ajos(m): 11:01pm On Aug 16, 2012
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC0VMluwjAQvVfqP0S
+
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by panafrican(m): 11:02pm On Aug 16, 2012
Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxipZ_pFhU

Sad day ! This wasn't the reason why steve Biko and the children of soweto died, not to count the unkown heroes who gave their lives to bring down the fascist apartheid regime.
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by canuck(m): 11:02pm On Aug 16, 2012

The striking miners did kill 2 cops and critically injured a 3rd one about two days ago. . .I guess this is payback, SA Police style.

Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by ajf(m): 11:06pm On Aug 16, 2012
It's ironic, I watched a film just yesterday, featuring Denzel Washinton, were a south african policeman was shooting aimlessly at a crowd and I was thinking this oyibo people just always want africans to look barbaric sha. Now it has happened...

2 Likes

Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by phraze(m): 11:06pm On Aug 16, 2012
Heartless Company. Shutdown the Company jare. They ordered the Shootin. The Workers had the right to protest.... Aparthied Police Men.
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Nobody: 11:07pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ya from reading this, I think the miners asked for it.
A protest may only be allowed if it is a peaceful protest. If they are wielding machetes and killing cops, then yeah, they had that and more coming.

SA depends on it's diamonds. By merely striking alone, they would have eventually gotten the ear of someone important & desperate to listen to them...just like Nigerians strong-armed government by grinding the economy of the country to a halt during fuel-subsidy strike, which was the only way jonacrook would have listened to reason.

They didn't have to get violent with their protest. Only led to pointless loss of life.

BTW...Nigeria needs to do more of that.
I gained some respect for the people when they did that, and I'm sure the politicians did too as they would have woken up to the fact that "there is a limit" to tyranny and if it must be done, must be done with intelligence, a thing clearly lacked by the majority of politicans in that country.
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by 4Play(m): 11:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
It's not a bright idea to be wielding a machete. No point exposing yourself to the risk of getting shot over a pay raise by wielding a machete.
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Shaw007(m): 11:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
South africa too?
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by bittyend(m): 11:10pm On Aug 16, 2012
Speechless!!

This is reminiscent of the apartheid days! Killing of protesters is barbaric and shouldn't be condoned/applauded by any sane human being. These miners are grossly underpaid by European owned mining companies, and they have a right to protest.

Where is the outcry from the international/Western media? I guess the lives of poor black people isn't worth anything because they 'control' the mining companies in South Africa. But when something similar happened in Libya; they were quick to declare a no-fly zone, to bomb a thriving Country into the stone age.

I'm pouring out a little liquor for the dead!!

God bless the dead! cool

3 Likes

Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by luvinhubby(m): 11:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
As much as i condemn human killing, there should be a limit to everything. Had been rioting & killing for days now ( ten dead including policemen). Today they make a dash towards armed policemen with matchets, sticks & guns taken from slain policemen, what do you expect. In conflicts, deadly force is employed WHEN THERE IS OBVIOUS TREAT TO PERSONEL LIFE and in this case there was. Poor miners, what a heavy price to pay for VIOLENT IGNORANCE .

1 Like

Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by panafrican(m): 11:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
sad
The A U ( african Union ) should get involved to fine the government of South Africa and expel the company from the continent. Zuma should also answer some questions.Period !

2 Likes

Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Shaw007(m): 11:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
I would have loved to link this with d apartheid thing. . .but since d miners drew 1st blood. . .i guess they did what they could,i mean d police
at least they didnt just go straight to shooting,they still tried 2 lay them off with stun guns and tear gas,so. . .
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Lordave: 11:13pm On Aug 16, 2012
The miners were wrong.
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:13pm On Aug 16, 2012
Another Action Film (Blood Bath). I hope peace reigns there ASAP...
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by searay(m): 11:14pm On Aug 16, 2012
naijacutee:

What an embarrassment. Human life does't mean anything to you?
The police has lost 2 of their officers tothese striking workers already. I only hope police no be human.
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by searay(m): 11:18pm On Aug 16, 2012
phraze: Heartless Company. Shutdown the Company jare. They ordered the Shootin. The Workers had the right to protest.... Aparthied Police Men.
With matchetes, spears, club and fire arms?
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by bittyend(m): 11:18pm On Aug 16, 2012
Lordave: The miners were wrong.

How 'were' they wrong? Some of you read sensationalism from the media and run away with it smh..
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by justwise(m): 11:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
bittyend:

How 'were' they wrong? Some of you read sensationalism from the media and run away with it smh..

Where do you get ur own news?
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Lordave: 11:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
panafrican: sad
The A U ( african Union ) should get involved to fine the government of South Africa and expel the company from the continent. Zuma should also answer some questions.Period !
the AU should as well get involved in Boko Haram menace, fine the government of Maidugri, expel the sponsors of the sect from the region and prosecute them. GEJ Has to answer some questions. Menopause!

1 Like

Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by Lordave: 11:24pm On Aug 16, 2012
bittyend:

just like you! Calm down and read the post again, cuz I assume u were hyperventilating when you were reading through the post.
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by bittyend(m): 11:24pm On Aug 16, 2012
The majority of the striking mineworkers live in a squalid settlement adjacent to the mine, with no running water, reports AFP news agency.

"We can't afford a decent life. We live like animals because of poor salaries we are getting from there," said Thuso Masakeng, pointing at the gigantic site with towers belching smoke.

"We are being exploited, both the government and the unions have failed to come to our rescue. Companies make a lot of money at our expense and we get paid almost nothing," he said as he walked away from the hill top.

A report released on Tuesday by the Bench Marks Foundation, a non-governmental organisation monitoring the practices of multinational mining corporations, found Lonmin workers often live in deteriorating shacks without electricity.

Some children suffer from chronic illnesses due to sewage spills caused by broken drainage, the report said.

Lonmin, the world's third-largest platinum producer, threatened to sack 3,000 rock drill operators if they fail to end an illegal pay strike, its flagship mine 100km northwest of Johannesburg.

London-headquartered Lonmin's operations in South Africa accounts for 12 per cent of its global platinum output.

South Africa remains one of the world's dominant producers of platinum, gold and coal, with 80 per cent of known platinum reserves, but many of its workers still face abysmal salaries and living conditions.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/08/2012815173554808840.html

This is unfair - it's their damn Country, and the platinum belongs to them. I thought the era of slavery ended at the beginning of the 19th century? - these barbaric acts by the white dominated mercenaries police was uncalled for. South Africa needs a strong leader!!!
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by bittyend(m): 11:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
justwise:
Where do you get ur own news?

Definitely not from zionist dominated/controlled western media. I get my news from different sources, to get a clearer picture of what's actually going on..
Re: South African Police Kill Striking Miners! by bittyend(m): 11:28pm On Aug 16, 2012
And before I engage anyone, just know that according to many sources (including Western media) - the police FIRED the first shot. cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Tokyo Rocked By 6.1-magnitude Earthquake As Tremors Cause Buildings To Sway(Pix) / Barack Obama's Farewell Speech In Full / Graphic Photos From Ghana Gas Explosion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.