Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,822 members, 7,817,396 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids (3253 Views)

Teaching Our Children Family Values..... / Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. / Igbo Nursery Rhymes And Children's Songs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by tjskii(f): 11:24am On Aug 17, 2012
It all started lastnight when my 7month old was squalling his eyes out,so in a bid to rock him to sleep I started singing some nursery rhymes;
I started off with old mcdonald had a farm,substituting my kidz name with d farmerz,til I thought naa don't want my kid turnin into no farmer,want him to own a billion dollar company grin grin

Then moved on to georgie porgie puddn n pie,then I thot naa,my kid wnt be making no girls cry

So I skipped to 3blindmice,wen it got to d farmer's wife chopping the blind helpless mice tails off with a carving knife I stopped and thot 'my baby shudnt be listnin to this,too much violence'

So I skipped to jack and jill,wen it got to dem tumbling down d hill I thot to myself kai too much pain

So I skipped to hush a bye baby on d treetop,when d wind blows d cradle will rock(was gettin a good vibe off dis one,wen I got d shocker)wen d bough breaks d cradle will fall,and down wil come baby cradle and all,I thot again VIOLENCE

So I skipped to humpty dumpty,of course dt story end wth him falling off d wall and breakin into pieces with no hope of redemption,more VIOLENCE

So I skipped again(more lik hopped,by dis time I was sapped of energy)to goosegoosey gander,and this rhyme just killed evrything,
Goosegoosey gander(4 d benefit of those dt dnt knw d poem)
Where shall I wander
Upstairs,downstairs and in my ladyz chamber
Ther I met an old man who wudnt say his prayer
I took him by d left leg and threw him down d stairs

Now tell me exactly the purpose of nursery rhymes,r they there to instigate violence,cos it seems to me dt a whole lot of dis rhymes av got violent xtics,or maybe its just me not getting enuf sleep

3 Likes

Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by firestar(f): 11:45am On Aug 17, 2012
[size=18pt] Well... you could make yours.
A lullaby composed just for baby by you.

Was trying to find a soothing melody too when babysitting and came up with mine.
cheesy
[/size]
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by tjskii(f): 12:02pm On Aug 17, 2012
Maybe Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ cud loan me urs for d time being,cos I doubt I'll av any creativ juice flowing by d time I eventually get d tyke off to bed,hez a handful that youngman. Thanking Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ in advance for the lullaby firestar cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by dominique(f): 12:11pm On Aug 17, 2012
you even tried that you remember all these nursery rhymes. next time, go with 'My Mother' but you dont have to get to the last line of the last verse: ...and tears of fear that i should die... cheesy
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by Kobojunkie: 12:43pm On Aug 17, 2012
Paranoia na bad thing.
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by firestar(f): 12:52pm On Aug 17, 2012
[size=18pt]Here's mine:
My baybee~ ma cherie~
Hush...oh huush smile with me
Je chanter pour toi
Pour[i] ma cherie[/i]...~
Ma cherie~
My[i] baybee~[/i]
Smile a little more
Laugh with me~

cheesy
Improvise! Improvise!! Improvise!!!
You might want to sip warm honey-flavoured tea!

[/size]

Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by tjskii(f): 12:55pm On Aug 17, 2012
dominique: you even tried that you remember all these nursery rhymes. next time, go with 'My Mother' but you dont have to get to the last line of the last verse: ...and tears of fear that i should die... cheesy

Ahh so Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ get my drift grin cheesy grin

Kobojunkie: Paranoia na bad thing.

Na Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ sabi tongue tongue
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by tjskii(f): 12:58pm On Aug 17, 2012
firestar: [size=18pt]Here's mine:
My baybee~ ma cherie~
Hush...oh huush smile with me
Je chanter pour toi
Pour[i] ma cherie[/i]...~
Ma cherie~
My[i] baybee~[/i]
Smile a little more
Laugh with me~

cheesy
Improvise! Improvise!! Improvise!!!
You might want to sip warm honey-flavoured tea!

[/size]

Eerrr firestar,I no tink say d pikin sabi french oo cheesy grin , and is d honeyflavored tea the key to songwriting grin tongue
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by firestar(f): 1:06pm On Aug 17, 2012
tjskii:

Eerrr firestar,I no tink say d pikin sabi french oo cheesy grin , and is d honeyflavored tea the key to songwriting grin tongue

[size=18pt]Start teaching him early o! Lullabies are a good start to teach infants and you too!
The tea is for you after you sing....

You go sing like say na concert. Soothing soulful tones werks wonders.
[/size] cheesy wink
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 17, 2012
tjskii: It all started lastnight when my 7month old was squalling his eyes out,so in a bid to rock him to sleep I started singing some nursery rhymes;
I started off with old mcdonald had a farm,substituting my kidz name with d farmerz,til I thought naa don't want my kid turnin into no farmer,want him to own a billion dollar company grin grin

Then moved on to georgie porgie puddn n pie,then I thot naa,my kid wnt be making no girls cry

So I skipped to 3blindmice,wen it got to d farmer's wife chopping the blind helpless mice tails off with a carving knife I stopped and thot 'my baby shudnt be listnin to this,too much violence'

So I skipped to jack and jill,wen it got to dem tumbling down d hill I thot to myself kai too much pain

So I skipped to hush a bye baby on d treetop,when d wind blows d cradle will rock(was gettin a good vibe off dis one,wen I got d shocker)wen d bough breaks d cradle will fall,and down wil come baby cradle and all,I thot again VIOLENCE

So I skipped to humpty dumpty,of course dt story end wth him falling off d wall and breakin into pieces with no hope of redemption,more VIOLENCE

So I skipped again(more lik hopped,by dis time I was sapped of energy)to goosegoosey gander,and this rhyme just killed evrything,
Goosegoosey gander(4 d benefit of those dt dnt knw d poem)
Where shall I wander
Upstairs,downstairs and in my ladyz chamber
Ther I met an old man who wudnt say his prayer
I took him by d left leg and threw him down d stairs

Now tell me exactly the purpose of nursery rhymes,r they there to instigate violence,cos it seems to me dt a whole lot of dis rhymes av got violent xtics,or maybe its just me not getting enuf sleep

Wow . . . I NEVER realized how much violence these Nusery rhymes had!

Thank God I can always fall back to my local igbo rhymes! cheesy cheesy
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by tpia5: 2:20pm On Aug 17, 2012
Do my grandfather's clock if you're that paranoid, @ poster.
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by SisiKill1: 2:28pm On Aug 17, 2012
Rotflmao!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

This reminds me of Dave Chappelle's take on Sesame Street, when you are done watching it...you won't allow you child see another episode of SS. Okay maybe that's an exaggeration it. Let's just say you won't watch Sesame Street with a straight face again.

Lemme see if I can find the video on youtube sef.
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by SisiKill1: 2:32pm On Aug 17, 2012
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On Aug 17, 2012
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2012
On a serious note @Poster, Here is something I am sure your baby will not THINK TOO deeply about when watching or listening to it. I had this downloaded to my machine and played it hours and hours for my niece when she was a wee little baby and up until age 5. She still loves it. Heck, even I listen to it when I am in the mood to watch something funny and listen to music that could put me to sleep.
If only technology like this was available back during my own time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv7AUpHt70o
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 17, 2012
ride a co-ck horse
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by tjskii(f): 8:54am On Aug 29, 2012
Haba how can my thread be relegated in dis manner,d topic make sense die,u people shud comment jor,it must enter at least 5pages for me to be satisfied tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by maclatunji: 11:39am On Aug 29, 2012
Kobojunkie: On a serious note @Poster, Here is something I am sure your baby will not THINK TOO deeply about when watching or listening to it. I had this downloaded to my machine and played it hours and hours for my niece when she was a wee little baby and up until age 5. She still loves it. Heck, even I listen to it when I am in the mood to watch something funny and listen to music that could put me to sleep.
If only technology like this was available back during my own time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv7AUpHt70o

I burst out laughing when I read the bolded. You do have a sense of humour- the sarcasm there was on point!
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by maclatunji: 11:42am On Aug 29, 2012
@Sisi_Kill as always "crazy" comic relief from you. I have heard that stuff on radio- funny!
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by tjskii(f): 6:58am On Aug 30, 2012
maclatunji:

I burst out laughing when I read the bolded. You do have a sense of humour- the sarcasm there was on point!

Abegggy jor cheesy cheesy, there was no sarcasm implied tongue,and I kno this for sure cos I was in koboJz head when it was being typed tongue
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by maclatunji: 10:01am On Aug 30, 2012
tjskii:

Abegggy jor cheesy cheesy, there was no sarcasm implied tongue,and I kno this for sure cos I was in koboJz head when it was being typed tongue

I mean like classic sarcasm there. I just pictured your baby deeply contemplating every word of every nursery rhyme and analysing its effects on him/her.

Really funny. cheesy
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by ciphoenix: 8:40am On Sep 18, 2012
maclatunji:

I mean like classic sarcasm there. I just pictured your baby deeply contemplating every word of every nursery rhyme and analysing its effects on him/her.

Really funny. cheesy
they stick, you know
Re: What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids by tpia5: 8:17pm On Jul 14, 2013

(1) (Reply)

My Kid Doesn’t Need Religion To Excel In Life? / Ebola Wants To Destroy Her Marriage. / Wow! Married Men When Last Did You Cook For Your Family?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.