Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes (28331 Views)

INEC Sacks Two For Denying Non-Indigenes PVC Collection In Lagos / Christmas: Okorocha Provides Free Buses For Imo Indigenes In Lagos & Ibadan / Imo Indigenes Return Home For Free Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by BlackPikiN(m): 3:59pm On Aug 17, 2012
Imo State Parliament To Fix A Common Bride Price For All Indigenes

Citing the increase in the number of the unmarried youths in their communities, the Traditional Parliament in Nigeria’s eastern state of Imo, Owerri, passed its first resolution on the harmonization of bride price in all communities in the state.

The motion, entitled, “Motion on the Harmonization of the Marriage Institution in Imo”, was moved by Eze Duru Okwudor and Eze Obi II of Okwudor in Njaba Local Government Area alongside other traditional rulers.

Okwudor identified high pride price and difficulties involved in the process of traditional marriage as some of the reasons for a change in the system.

He noted that the behaviour of some parents and community leaders on the issue of bride price during marriage was a source of worry to young adults.

“What obtains in the marriage institution today leaves much to be desired. It is as if the parents want to sell their daughters. If this is allowed to continue it will translate into a big problem to our youths who want to marry,” he said.

Okwudor, therefore, listed the process by which marriage would be made less cumbersome and cheaper to both the family of the would-be bride and the bridegroom. The motion was seconded by Eze Ekperechukwu of Obowo.

However, Eze Ekwueme Ekwueme, the Ochia of Ohaji Ebgema, opposed the motion and urged the parliament to allow communities to decide on the bride price.

He said it would be out of place for the traditional rulers to decide for parents, who had spent much in training their daughters, on how much to collect for bride price.

Another motion tabled before the parliament was the motion on “The Presentation and Sharing of Kola nuts in Imo.”

The motion was introduced by Eze Okwara Echi from Nkwere Local Government Area and supported by three other traditional rulers.

Then the issue of speaking of Igbo Language compulsory in the state schools was raised.

Reacting, the Chairman of Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers, Eze Samuel Ohiri, noted that the motion on kola nuts would be deliberated upon by a committee that would be formed by the parliament while that on the speaking of Igbo Language would be reintroduced.

The highpoint of the parliament sitting was the formalization and conferment of the title of Owelle Gburugburu of Igbo land (Traditional Prime Minister of NdiIgbo) on Gov. Rochas Okorocha.

The motion for the conferment of the title was moved by Eze Obiefula, Ezedibia of Nekede, and seconded by Eze Onwuchiribeya Mmerenni of Umudibia in Owerri West Local Government Area.

They noted that the governor deserved the title considering his leadership qualities and achievements in the state in his one year in office.

Responding, the Governor thanked the traditional rulers for the award, saying that the title signified “a big journey that has just started.”

He pledged his unalloyed support to the success of the traditional parliament.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/08/17/imo-state-parliament-fix-common-bride-price-indigenes/

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Ogbonaikenna(m): 4:40pm On Aug 17, 2012
Abeg make una reduce that bride price. Imo girls too dey expensive

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by PointB: 5:11pm On Aug 17, 2012
Reduction in bride price.

PRO:
- More women getting married.

CON
- Less emphasis on career pursuit for women, as family keeping will become a priority.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by joejeezy(m): 5:15pm On Aug 17, 2012
How much exactly are we talking about here?

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Ogbonaikenna(m): 5:38pm On Aug 17, 2012
With this now i can easily marry my girl without stress

3 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 17, 2012
Its not the duly elected Imo State House of Assembly, is it? So I don't think it's binding. Make una relax. grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by jmaine: 5:44pm On Aug 17, 2012
Emancipation of the Imo ladies in progress grin

Men are observing proceedings cheesy
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Acidosis(m): 5:47pm On Aug 17, 2012
someone should move this to the joke section. govt fixing a bride price? ? ? is this a joke or . .something?

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Kobojunkie: 5:48pm On Aug 17, 2012
Acidosis: someone should move this to the joke section. govt fixing a bride price? ? ? is this a joke or . .something?

I endorse this ! grin
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by asha80(m): 6:10pm On Aug 17, 2012
my maternal side of family comes from a notorious area for this high bride price issue.when i see my female cousins from my maternal side(most of them in their mid and late thirties) i just have pity for them because a lot of people are beginning to shy away from them on knowing the area they are from in imo state.something has to be done fast otherwise them go here am.i have told one of them that they(females) would have to be the one to liberates themselves and their female offsprings by protesting this nonsense but then again some of them actually promoted this high pride issue when they were younger like saying things like 'we are not cheap' whenever the this issue rose up in our family those days.i guess they are not beating their chests now.

4 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by RichDad1(m): 7:21pm On Aug 17, 2012
This is long overdue.Igbo people and HIGH BRIDE PRICE...chei. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin .

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Ramcie(f): 7:23pm On Aug 17, 2012
It's so sad. Having the same problem with my ple. Though am not from the east. They want to kill the poor guy for me cry cry
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Tstark(m): 7:24pm On Aug 17, 2012
How much dem dey sell them?

grin

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by asha80(m): 7:25pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ramcie: It's so sad. Having the same problem with my ple. Though am not from the east. They want to kill the poor guy for me cry cry

can't you try and convince your parents to prevail on this issue?what then is the essence of women liberation?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Afrocatalyst: 7:26pm On Aug 17, 2012
joejeezy: How much exactly are we talking about here?

1k tops. No, 872 naira. Will break down if U want. I mean apart from necessary formalities from the groom, like beer, Yam, clothes, kolanut and what have U, the real price should nt be more than 1k. The yorubas are free after the formalities. They give Back whatever U put in envelope, no wonder even an omo alata gets married on time. Imo, Ur time has come. Cheers. Women for 1 naira!
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by cyril83(m): 7:28pm On Aug 17, 2012
Igbo people and their greediness, what's the essence of selling out your daughter as if they wil not collect penny from their in law again....can't even dream of marrying an igbo lady, igbo gurls r so selfish and flirt.

4 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by ektbear: 7:32pm On Aug 17, 2012
Afrocatalyst:
1k tops. No, 872 naira. Will break down if U want. I mean apart from necessary formalities from the groom, like beer, Yam, clothes, kolanut and what have U, the real price should nt be more than 1k. The yorubas are free after the formalities. They give Back whatever U put in envelope, no wonder even an omo alata gets married on time. Imo, Ur time has come. Cheers. Women for 1 naira!

1k naira? Isn't that like $6-7?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 17, 2012
Nnamdi have you seen that government has intervened? please come back and see my people. The list has been reduced, please come quick,before i hit 34.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Ramcie(f): 7:35pm On Aug 17, 2012
asha 80:

can't you try and convince your parents to prevail on this issue?what then is the essence of women liberation?
hmm not as easy as you think. Have told him to do his best. Am the one getting married not them and if am okay with it no one should shout.
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by honeric01(m): 7:37pm On Aug 17, 2012
instead of fixing price, why not remove it totally while setting up requirements for the husband to be like;
having a steady legal source of income
must have had experience of feeding an extra mouth by himself for at least 3 yrs
must have at least a 2rm apartment

i support the elimination of bride price that has anything to do with raw cash.

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Bobbystanley(m): 7:37pm On Aug 17, 2012
Before nko...why wount our ladies be expensive...an igbo adage says dat ''ukwu bu ego'' so u must hav ur money to get a good tin

2 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Wisegee: 7:38pm On Aug 17, 2012
It may seem I am looking for trouble but that is d fact. The issue is not bride price but the fear of d fact that imo state girls don't close their legs. That is what should be addressed not a review of d bride price.

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by locust01(m): 7:39pm On Aug 17, 2012
Tstark: How much dem dey sell them?

grin

1 Like

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Bobbystanley(m): 7:40pm On Aug 17, 2012
cyril83: Igbo people and their greediness, what's the essence of selling out your daughter as if they wil not collect penny from their in law again....can't even dream of marrying an igbo lady, igbo gurls r so selfish and flirt.
we dnt need poor people like u to marry our girls ok?

14 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by honeric01(m): 7:41pm On Aug 17, 2012
Wisegee: It may seem I am looking for trouble but that is d fact. The issue is not bride price but the fear of d fact that imo state girls don't close their legs. That is what should be addressed not a review of d bride price.

are legs meant to be closed?

4 Likes

Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by foyeks2001(f): 7:42pm On Aug 17, 2012
Simply tagged-pay as u go bride...anywaz its abt time...but this is just too funny honestly
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by BlackPikiN(m): 7:43pm On Aug 17, 2012
Acidosis: someone should move this to the joke section. govt fixing a bride price? ? ? is this a joke or . .something?

Shey this thing look like joke to you.

You see custodians of Imo culture discuss about the inability of their children to get married on time, you call am jokes.

Who you wan make e discuss traditional marriage wey no go be joke to you?
Re: Common Bride Price For All Imo Indigenes by Siga: 7:43pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ahhhhh....these people no serious ooo....after I don pay $1m finish.....my inlaw....can i get a refund.....I don over pay angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Doyin Okupe Gives Reasons For Low Turnout At Labour Party's Nasarawa Rally / Politicians Go Into Hiding In Anambra As Gunmen Break Loose / Quit Notice Against Igbos Is Real And Stands, Ex-presidential Aid, Okupe Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.