Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,906 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? (3468 Views)

If God Knew Satan, Adam And Eve Would Sin, Why Did He Create Them? / "If God Is A God Of Love, Why Hasn't He Dealt With Evil?" / If God Knew Satan Will Rebel And Adam And Eve Will Sin, Why Did He Create Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by stillme(m): 8:34pm On Aug 17, 2012
When I was reading my bible as usual,I came across the story of Esau and Jacob which I found interesting but at a time I could not understand the story when I saw"Jacob I love,Esau I hate".
To bible scholars,why did God hate Esau?

3 Likes

Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 17, 2012
Like someone on this forum replied, being a critical thinker and not a myopic, gullible christian thats scared to accept the truth will only lead u to being an atheist. If u are not ready for that, then its better to keep listening to the ''all powerful and wise'' pastors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by OmoAlata(f): 12:52am On Aug 18, 2012
The name “Esau” was used to refer to the Edomites (I think). The Edomites often fought against God's chosen people, the Israelites so God hated them (I think).
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by frank317: 1:45am On Aug 18, 2012
Omo Alata: The name “Esau” was used to refer to the Edomites (I think). The Edomites often fought against God's chosen people, the Israelites so God hated them (I think).

Na waoo, is that d origin of tribalism?
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by danwo: 2:03am On Aug 18, 2012
Omo Alata:

The name “Esau” was used to refer to the Edomites (I think). The Edomites often fought against God's chosen people, the Israelites so God hated them (I think).

frank3.16:

Na waoo, is that d origin of tribalism?

Explain in your own words, your definition of tribalism
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by danwo: 2:08am On Aug 18, 2012
stillme:

When I was reading my bible as usual,I came across the story of Esau and Jacob which I found interesting but at a time I could not understand the story when I saw"Jacob I love,Esau I hate".

@stillme

Straight-up and simply "Jacob I love, Esau I hate" means "Jacob I chose, Esau I chose not"

2 Likes

Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by Goshen360(m): 2:46am On Aug 18, 2012
danwo:

@stillme

Straight-up and simply "Jacob I love, Esau I hate" means "Jacob I chose, Esau I chose not"

You this man, you are too much my brother.

@ stillme,

Danwo gave you the best answer but if you are still in doubt, use your concordance if you have one or ask again and I will give more explanation, okay. The word "hate" also mean "to love less", for God does not hate no man.
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by LordReed(m): 6:14am On Aug 18, 2012
danwo:

@stillme

Succinct.
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by stillme(m): 6:30am On Aug 18, 2012
danwo:

@stillme

Thx.
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by mkmyers45(m): 8:47am On Aug 18, 2012
God is very choosy..He chooses who he favours,hates or save so not suprising eh? Exodus 33:19 The LORD replied, "I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will call out my name, Yahweh, before you. For I will show mercy to anyone I
choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose.
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by Joagbaje(m): 10:08am On Aug 18, 2012
stillme: When I was reading my bible as usual,I came across the story of Esau and Jacob which I found interesting but at a time I could not understand the story when I saw"Jacob I love,Esau I hate".

God didn't hate esau , he loves him actually. He only Prefer jacob above him. The use of the word HATRED is not in the negative as dislike. But rather preference for the other person. We don't like everybody equally..its a translation problem . The Jews understands the language.Jesus use it also.

Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

If Jesus taught about honor for parents ,he could not have promoted Hatred at thesame time. So it means to "prefer above" we don't like everybody alike. Even Jesus' had preference among the disciples . John was the disciple he loved the most. That doesn't mean he hated Peter or even judas. He only loved one more.

2 Likes

Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by Joagbaje(m): 10:08am On Aug 18, 2012
stillme: When I was reading my bible as usual,I came across the story of Esau and Jacob which I found interesting but at a time I could not understand the story when I saw"Jacob I love,Esau I hate".

God didn't hate esau , he loves him actually. He only Prefer jacob above him. The use of the word HATRED is not in the negative as dislike. But rather preference for the other person. We don't like everybody equally..its a translation problem . The Jews understands the language.Jesus use it also.

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

If Jesus taught about honor for parents ,he could not have promoted Hatred at thesame time. So it means to "prefer above" we don't like everybody alike. Even Jesus' had preference among the disciples .

John 21:7
Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith [/b]unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

John was the disciple he loved the most. That doesn't mean he hated Peter or even judas. He only loved one more.

CEV translation throws more light

[b]Romans 9:13

That's why the Scriptures say that the Lord liked Jacob more than Esau.

2 Likes

Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by CrazyMan(m): 10:39am On Aug 18, 2012
This is the full passage

Romans 9 from verse 13.
13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

Now note one thing here, God didn't hate Esau; he was only fulfilling the promise he made to Abraham. He just loved Jacob more.

If you turn your bible to Genesis 36 verse 1, you would also notice that as Jacob was the father of the israelities, Esau was was also the father of the Edomities.

This proves that God blessed him also and made him the father of a great nation like he did to jacob.

1 Like

Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 18, 2012
OP- DISREGARD EVERY ANSWER YOU HAVE HAD SO FAR. PEOPLE ARE BLIND TO HOW OUR LORD WORKS. THEY THINK HE IS A FATHER WITH JUST ONE EMOTION 'LOVE'. someone who made humans in his image, and if humans can love and hate, then if we are made in his image, then he loves and hates too. these people who think the lord has only one emotion only read the new testament. now let me tell you why the lord hates esau and what he has in plan for esau in the future. but first off let me start by saying that

john 7 vs 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." ( these people dont believe in the lord the way scripture has described him. they believe in the father the way their own minds have described him )

so why does the lord hate esau ?

1-he is constantly killing and terrorizing the apple of Gods eye, the israelites. AMOS 1 VS 11 This is what the LORD says: "For three sins of Edom, even for four, I will not turn back my wrath. Because he pursued his brother with a sword, stifling all compassion, because his anger raged continually and his fury flamed unchecked. DOES 'MY WRATH' SOUND LIKE 'HE HATES HIM LESS' AS SOME OF THE CONTRIBUTORS IN THIS THREAD HAVE SAID ? 'WRATH' MEANS EXTREME ANGER AND HATRED.

2-esau goes all over the world stealing other peoples lands and kicking them out of it and genociding them ( for example america and israel and australia ). ezekiel 36 vs 5[b] this is what the Sovereign LORD says: In my burning zeal I have spoken against the rest of the nations, and against all Edom, for with glee and with malice in their hearts they made my land their own possession so that they might plunder its pastureland.'[/b]

ezekiel 35 vs 10 Because you have said, These two nations and these two countries shall be mine, and we will possess them; although the LORD was there: ( the two countries in question here are the home of the northern and southern kingdom of israel. america and israel respectively )

lets see some more verses of the lords hatred for edom ( idumea )

obadiah vs 18[b] And the house of Jacob shall be a fire, and the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau for stubble, and they shall kindle in them, and devour them; and there shall not be any remaining of the house of Esau; for the LORD hath spoken it.[/b] future genocide of the house of esau. does that sound like 'he loves him less' ? or is this real 'hatred' ?

isaiah 34 vs 6[b] The sword of the LORD is bathed in blood, it is covered with fat--the blood of lambs and goats, fat from the kidneys of rams. For the LORD has a sacrifice in Bozrah and a great slaughter in Edom.[/b] future prophesy for when the lord returns. he says he has a date with edom with his sword and will slaughter all of edom. does that sound like he love him less or extreme hatred ?

i got at least 10 scriptures of the lord promising to genocide esau when he returns but i think two is enough for now. if anyone bucks up against this knowledge, i will unleash the rest.
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by Delafruita(m): 1:21pm On Aug 18, 2012
CrazyMan:
This is the full passage

Romans 9 from verse 13.
13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

Now note one thing here, God didn't hate Esau; he was only fulfilling the promise he made to Abraham. He just loved Jacob more.

If you turn your bible to Genesis 36 verse 1, you would also notice that as Jacob was the father of the israelities, Esau was was also the father of the Edomities.

This proves that God blessed him also and made him the father of a great nation like he did to jacob.
the lenghts people will go to defend god and the bible
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by FMK(m): 3:57pm On Aug 19, 2012
christians looking for many reasond to defend it it is truth that god hated esau
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:34pm On Aug 19, 2012
hahaha christians always finding excuses in all threads. for shame. tongue
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by TheShopKeeper(m): 5:56pm On Aug 19, 2012
Joagbaje:

If Jesus taught about honor for parents ,he could not have promoted Hatred at thesame time. So it means to "prefer above" we don't like everybody alike. Even Jesus' had preference among the disciples .

John 21:7
Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith [/b]unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

John was the disciple he loved the most. That doesn't mean he hated Peter or even judas. He only loved one more.

CEV translation throws more light

[b]Romans 9:13

That's why the Scriptures say that the Lord liked Jacob more than Esau.

Rightly said.
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by nedostic: 7:16pm On Aug 19, 2012
@Joabaje

Many thanks for this. You killed this argument about God hating Esau or not with scriptures.Kudos man!

Certain usage of words in the Bible were poorly and sometimes mistranslated. I believe these errors were not deliberate.

God is impartial and He does whatsoever pleases HIM out of love and grace.

I have really benefited from this invaluable biblical contribution.

God bless!
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by tpia5: 4:11am On Aug 20, 2012
esau's actions and hardness of heart, were probably factors in his being described that way.

Malachi 1

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mal%201&version=NIV

The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi.

2 I have loved you, saith the Lord. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the Lord: yet I loved Jacob,

3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

4 Whereas Edom saith, We are impoverished, but we will return and build the desolate places; thus saith the Lord of hosts, They shall build, but I will throw down; and they shall call them, The border of wickedness, and, The people against whom the Lord hath indignation for ever.

5 And your eyes shall see, and ye shall say, The Lord will be magnified from the border of Israel.

the jacob and esau being referred to are nations, not necessarily the actual individuals.

characteristics associated with jacob include a willingness to accept his faults and limitations (humble heart), while esau was the opposite- proud, arrogant, resistant to God, etc.

God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.

1 Like

Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by Andybaby: 5:21pm On Sep 30, 2012
Help I feel like Esau. I feel I lost my birthright.
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by Andybaby: 5:38pm On Sep 30, 2012
I like what Rebecca did. It is good that she disguised Jacob as Esau. She was wise and on point
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by Callotti: 10:51pm On Sep 30, 2012
The Christian God of Hate and Confusion at work again.
No wonder Christians are full of hate and confusion. grin
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by Andybaby: 12:03pm On Dec 20, 2012
ESAU is an EYE SORE that SAW but didn't conquer
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by tpia5: 4:43pm On Dec 20, 2012
^why not deal with your painful attention, instead of trying to call your demons here.
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by tpia5: 4:46pm On Dec 20, 2012
6 “A son honors his father, and a slave his master. If I am a father, where is the honor due me? If I am a master, where is the respect due me?” says the Lord Almighty.

“It is you priests who show contempt for my name.

“But you ask, ‘How have we shown contempt for your name?’

7 “By offering defiled food on my altar.

“But you ask, ‘How have we defiled you?’

But you ask, ‘How have we defiled you?’

“By saying that the Lord’s table is contemptible. 8 When you offer blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice lame or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?” says the Lord Almighty.

9 “Now plead with God to be gracious to us. With such offerings from your hands, will he accept you?”—says the Lord Almighty.

10 “Oh, that one of you would shut the temple doors, so that you would not light useless fires on my altar! I am not pleased with you,” says the Lord Almighty, “and I will accept no offering from your hands. 11 My name will be great among the nations, from where the sun rises to where it sets. In every place incense and pure offerings will be brought to me, because my name will be great among the nations,” says the Lord Almighty.

12 “But you profane it by saying, ‘The Lord’s table is defiled,’ and, ‘Its food is contemptible.’ 13 And you say, ‘What a burden!’ and you sniff at it contemptuously,” says the Lord Almighty.

contrast.

the Lord overlooked the transgressions and disrespect of jacob, even though he didnt overlook those of esau.

that was the reference for this:

“I have loved you,” says the Lord.

“But you ask, ‘How have you loved us?’

“Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?” declares the Lord. “Yet I have loved Jacob, 3 but Esau I have hated,

its a warning.
Re: If God Is Love, Why Did He Hate Esau? by oaroloye(m): 2:44am On Aug 10, 2017
SHALOM!

stillme:
When I was reading my bible as usual,

You are asking this stupid question, because you never learned to READ PROPERLY.

Stop reading your Bible "as usual."

READ THE BIBLE AS A HEBREW.

I came across the story of Esau and Jacob which I found interesting but at a time I could not understand the story when I saw"Jacob I love,Esau I hate".

This is a very stupid question, because it means that you never read the story of Esau and Jacob.

Only a complete fool can read the Story of Esau and Jacob, and still have to ask someone else why God loved Jacob, but hated Esau.
Besides that, THE NEW TESTAMENT GOSPEL thoroughly defines LOVE. Why do you not believe Lord YAHSHUA'S definition of LOVE?

(1) (Reply)

Yahwehpenis Is Missing / How Christians Aid The Spread Of Atheism / Tithe Must Be Voluntary - Pastor Tunde Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.