Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,970 members, 7,814,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause (4312 Views)

CCT Trial: APC Leaders Divided Over Saraki / House Leadership: Tension As Northern, S’east Reps Protest Exclusion / PDP Didn’t Win Elections In S’east – Kalu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by ACM10: 10:52pm On Aug 18, 2012
One_Naira: I am shocked, for the first time in my life I completely disagree with SE. First time for everything. WTF was SE smoking that day to agree on this new law?

Anyway sha, no, This new law would create more controversy and more problems in Nigeria than fixing. If anything, it would not bring the nation closer but it would create more division. Am I the only one that's seeing it? Someone mentioned North domination in the political environment of Nigeria and with this new law, it would decrease their political domination. First of, in what way will it do so? If anything, it would increase their political domination.

No No no No. SE needs to listen to SS and SW.

You have a point. But remember that southeast don't fear political domination. It's other regions that harbour such fear.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by Onlytruth(m): 10:52pm On Aug 18, 2012
If only Nigeria will divide or allow us Igboland only to leave and stay out, the rest can do whatever they want.

Nigeria is VERY FRUSTRATING to Ndigbo. We are in an existential trap

We want to leave or have a sensible country. Our leaders are becoming confused. embarassed

1 Like

Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by Onlytruth(m): 10:55pm On Aug 18, 2012
ACM10:

You have a point. But remember that southeast don't fear political domination. It's other regions that harbour such fear.

The fear is very real because you have these Fulani herdsmen formenting trouble everywhere.
I used to support this but I have dropped that support.

If this is allowed, the Fulani nonsense will gain legitimacy. If they must support this, they should insist that states must have their own police forces too.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by Mrchippychappy(m): 10:58pm On Aug 18, 2012
Onlytruth: If only Nigeria will divide or allow us Igboland only to leave and stay out, the rest can do whatever they want.

Nigeria is VERY FRUSTRATING to Ndigbo. We are in an existential trap

We want to leave or have a sensible country. Our leaders are becoming confused. embarassed

Confused ? They are under the Fulani "pay roll" . Its been that way since the end of the Civil War except for very few of them ...Chukwumerijie for example
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by Sealeddeal(m): 11:04pm On Aug 18, 2012
This indigenisation can only work when 1) the Fulanis has been deported out of nigeria or sent into desert or 2) when atleast 80percent of Fulanis and 70percent of nigerians has been educated in a civilsed manner and not JUST religious way.anything short of dat may herald evil in nigeria.i think Nigeria,everyday,brings up issues which will indavertently destroy her but which may appear as a solution.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by OneNaira6: 11:08pm On Aug 18, 2012
ACM10:

SE should equally fear political domination. With what's happening in APGA, with the northern APGA member speaking and trying to force the vision of they have for APGA down SE APGA throat despite the political party owned by SE APGA. You guys should equally fear political domination. In my opinion, SE needs to stop seeing everyone as equal, stop trying to piece up Nigeria, stop trying to please everyone and start looking out for their damn self. I cannot believe I am about to say this but others are right. You guys need to learn how Nigeria works, this nation is a do me, I do you country.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by PaulJohn1: 11:22pm On Aug 18, 2012
sounds like the table is turning around, north and s/east on the same side
West and S/S can't do this alone.

1 Like

Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by ACM10: 11:27pm On Aug 18, 2012
Onlytruth:

The fear is very real because you have these Fulani herdsmen formenting trouble everywhere.
I used to support this but I have dropped that support.

If this is allowed, the Fulani nonsense will gain legitimacy. If they must support this, they should insist that states must have their own police forces too.

Eze, Igbos dominated the political environment in Nigeria prior to the first coup. Remember that one of the reason for the countercoup is the fear of Igbo domination. Other tribes fear Igbo domination. There is no how that Fulanis can dominate Igbos in Igboland. Besides, selective implementation of this law will reinforce our moral argument and put a final nail to Nigeria's coffin. I agree with you that state police is needed cos federal police is tainted by tribal bias.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by basisop(m): 11:40pm On Aug 18, 2012
One_Naira: I am shocked, for the first time in my life I completely disagree with SE. First time for everything. WTF was SE smoking that day to agree on this new law?

Anyway sha, no, This new law would create more controversy and more problems in Nigeria than fixing. If anything, it would not bring the nation closer but it would create more division. Am I the only one that's seeing it? Someone mentioned North domination in the political environment of Nigeria and with this new law, it would decrease their political domination. First of, in what way will it do so? If anything, it would increase their political domination.

No No no No. SE needs to listen to SS and SW.

SE is only being clever here. If we must stay together as one Nigeria then it shouldn't be partial. If we can't, then let us all go our seperate ways.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by basisop(m): 11:48pm On Aug 18, 2012
Nigeria! Can't you guys see what's bn protected here? Yorubas don't want non-indigenes to take over Lagos which will eventually happen when this law comes to stay and S/S don't want other part of the country to have a share in the black gold. Are they not the ppl that fought for "One Nigeria"? Why are they now running?

2 Likes

Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by ak47mann(m): 9:57am On Aug 19, 2012
basisop: Nigeria! Can't you guys see what's bn protected here? Yorubas don't want non-indigenes to take over Lagos which will eventually happen when this law comes to stay and S/S don't want other part of the country to have a share in the black gold. Are they not the ppl that fought for "One Nigeria"? Why are they now running?
this is one of the reason cool
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by aljharem(m): 1:10pm On Aug 19, 2012
LOL grin grin grin grin grin @ Onlytruth my brother Nwannem I miss your comments o ! Chai gets me cracking all the time grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin

Now the issue here is clear, clearly the North and West are having some miscommunication and the SE have decided to cash in. All fine and good but here are the opinions for the SE with their stance, I hope basisop is listening

1. If want the law to pass cuz you want Lagos and SS oil but put into consideration that there is Oil in Igboland and we would also love if the law is passed. BTW fulanis that you Igbos so much fear would be indigenes.

2.You don't want the law to be passed which is more favourable for Igbos as far as Nigeria is concerned. Then you cant be indigenes of every Igbo man's dream which is Lagos and every SS state. cry Very sad but that is the reality on ground.

For the SS

To be honest, it is a lose-lose situation if you allow such bill to be passed cuz all that "it's our oil" etc would END THAT Day. Mark those words and be rest assured that una suffering just start.

2. If SS disagree, very good. Then Only sons and daughters of the soil would get preference in the so called Oil.

For the NC

1. Really you are no different from the Yorubas aka Westerners. If they lose, you lose, if they win you win. Theoretically in my on little understanding.

Westerners

1. If you allow the bill to pass, it means the so called Lagos is for everyone which is not that bad cuz it changes nothing. It has always been for everyone. Although the internet warriors would have a harder time grin

2. If you don't allow it, it changes nothing really the statue quote remains the same.

basisop: Nigeria! Can't you guys see what's bn protected here? Yorubas don't want non-indigenes to take over Lagos which will eventually happen when this law comes to stay and S/S don't want other part of the country to have a share in the black gold. Are they not the ppl that fought for "One Nigeria"? Why are they now running?

Note :- Please my brother stop thinking of yorubas in your plan cuz that would be a great mistake. If wahala starts I can assure you that it would take less than 5 years before all Yorubas convert to Islam and trust me Yorubas don't really care if they are absorbed cuz they know they would retain their Identity unlike Kanuris and Hausawa. Even if they don't who would evantually loses cuz then Nigeria would truly be an Islamic country and no bastard would change that then.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by aljharem(m): 1:12pm On Aug 19, 2012
Oh btw the NC it is a win win if the bill passes. Kyau wink
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by suyu: 1:15pm On Aug 19, 2012
not to division crap again
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by Noiseless2: 2:13pm On Aug 19, 2012
Anything short of every ethnic group deciding self governance first with their security and economy under their control or total break up, where those who love to be nigeria should remain,and those who love to be Biafra should go, anything less than this is not acceptable cos the damage has long been done and nothing else can make "one nigeria" work again. You can try forcing nature but by the time it will turn against you, even a dead man would better than you, so mr.chukwudimu or whatever his name is not representing the Igbos.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by Noiseless2: 2:20pm On Aug 19, 2012
We want nothing other than our own country,then any Igbo you find in your country make him abide by the laws of your lands, we are not interesting in the 419 arrangement anymore period!
alj harem: LOL grin grin grin grin grin @ Onlytruth my brother Nwannem I miss your comments o ! Chai gets me cracking all the time grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin

Now the issue here is clear, clearly the North and West are having some miscommunication and the SE have decided to cash in. All fine and good but here are the opinions for the SE with their stance, I hope basisop is listening

1. If want the law to pass cuz you want Lagos and SS oil but put into consideration that there is Oil in Igboland and we would also love if the law is passed. BTW fulanis that you Igbos so much fear would be indigenes.

2.You don't want the law to be passed which is more favourable for Igbos as far as Nigeria is concerned. Then you cant be indigenes of every Igbo man's dream which is Lagos and every SS state. cry Very sad but that is the reality on ground.

For the SS

To be honest, it is a lose-lose situation if you allow such bill to be passed cuz all that "it's our oil" etc would END THAT Day. Mark those words and be rest assured that una suffering just start.

2. If SS disagree, very good. Then Only sons and daughters of the soil would get preference in the so called Oil.

For the NC

1. Really you are no different from the Yorubas aka Westerners. If they lose, you lose, if they win you win. Theoretically in my on little understanding.

Westerners

1. If you allow the bill to pass, it means the so called Lagos is for everyone which is not that bad cuz it changes nothing. It has always been for everyone. Although the internet warriors would have a harder time grin

2. If you don't allow it, it changes nothing really the statue quote remains the same.

Note :- Please my brother stop thinking of yorubas in your plan cuz that would be a great mistake. If wahala starts I can assure you that it would take less than 5 years before all Yorubas convert to Islam and trust me Yorubas don't really care if they are absorbed cuz they know they would retain their Identity unlike Kanuris and Hausawa. Even if they don't who would evantually loses cuz then Nigeria would truly be an Islamic country and no bastard would change that then.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by ACM10: 2:46pm On Aug 19, 2012
alj harem: LOL grin grin grin grin grin @ Onlytruth my brother Nwannem I miss your comments o ! Chai gets me cracking all the time grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin

For the SS

For the NC

Westerners

One thing that baffles me with you proponents of Nigeria's unity is that you guys wants Nigeria; wants goodies that comes with Nigeria, but rejects that downside of Nigeria's unity. See, u can't eat your cake and have it. Either Nigeria is united or shattered! No compromise! We can't claim to be Nigerians, yet we are segregated in our dear country. If we give Nigeria our loyalty and patriotism, we expect the country to give us sense of belonging in return.
Seriously, someone should pls explain to me why Yorubas and some southern ethnic nationalities are opposed to this bill? The same people that balk at the mere mention of Biafra are against a bill that is aimed at fostering unity. What is wrong with this bill since it grants you all that u asked for?
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by pazienza(m): 3:09pm On Aug 19, 2012
It's now obvious why nigeria will not work. They want one nigeria and at the same time,they don't want it. How did we(ndiigbo) get trapped with these people? It's really very frustrating.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by htajz: 3:34pm On Aug 19, 2012
God forbid they pass the bill , that will be the worst thing to happen to south south. nigeria must divide and when it does we will take back all our oil wells from northerners.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by odogwux(m): 5:58pm On Aug 19, 2012
I am absolutely against this bill. This indigene/settler bill is not practical because we are not ready for it. A SNC or referendum is what we need now.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by odogwux(m): 6:10pm On Aug 19, 2012
This Dr Chukwudum needs to be addressed and warned seriously. This sonofabitch is the most confused person I have ever heard of. I just wonder how people like these get themselves into positions to speak for others
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by PhysicsQED(m): 6:37pm On Aug 19, 2012
ACM10:

Yes!
They recognize "state of origin" which is the same thing as "indigene", but does not recognize "settler".

Well which specific laws actually say anything about state of origin? And what stops a person from identifying their state of longest residence as their state of origin?

I guess what I'm getting at is de jure vs. de facto practices.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by 9javoice1(m): 7:47pm On Aug 19, 2012
ofcourse no igbo man will ever admit that law to be signed.
but wat that mr.chukwudum is saying is simple, 1)incase of greater nigeria pure unity and progress we need the bill
2)incase of false hood and pretence jos should be a case study.

his point is clear, even if every igboman gives nod to that bill, igbos at onitsha and aba will never accept it,
i hope we all get the mans point now.

Lastly: these are just comments base on individual opinion not regional agreement.
SE should be the first to vote it down when the chips is down,
to SE this case is non negotiable when the case come to regional stand, straight to trash bin

THE publishers are myopic and bias in their profesion cuz they seek for the opinion of people that matters from other region, but only in SE they look for anyhow people instead of our mouth piece.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by nduchucks: 7:53pm On Aug 19, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Well which specific laws actually say anything about state of origin? And what stops a person from identifying their state of longest residence as their state of origin?

I guess what I'm getting at is de jure vs. de facto practices.

It might interest you to note that ALL official data collecting forms in Nigeria asks the question, "State of Origin?"

Also the Federal Character commission has the constitutional powers to work out an equitable formula subject to the approval of the National Assembly for the distribution of all cadres of posts in the public service of the Federation and of the States, the armed forces of the Federation, the Nigeria Police Force and other government security agencies, government owned companies and parastatals of the states;

The commission will never OK a person named Okechukwu to represent Sokoto state or one named Dantata to represent Bayelsa state, for obvious reasons. This constitutional amendment will eliminate the associated problems with the federal character phenomenon, particularly the one which allows incompetent people to be appointed to very important posts because of their states of origin.

All well meaning Nigerians welcome this constitutional amendment except the narrow minded among us.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by ACM10: 8:06pm On Aug 19, 2012
ndu_chucks:

It might interest you to note that ALL official data collecting forms in Nigeria asks the question, "State of Origin?"

Also the Federal Character commission has the constitutional powers to work out an equitable formula subject to the approval of the National Assembly for the distribution of all cadres of posts in the public service of the Federation and of the States, the armed forces of the Federation, the Nigeria Police Force and other government security agencies, government owned companies and parastatals of the states;

The commission will never OK a person named Okechukwu to represent Sokoto state or one named Dantata to represent Bayelsa state, for obvious reasons. This constitutional amendment will eliminate the associated problems with the federal character phenomenon, particularly the one which allows incompetent people to be appointed to very important posts because of their states of origin.

All well meaning Nigerians welcome this constitutional amendment except the narrow minded among us.

I becomes concerned whenever my position and yours on important issues looks exactly alike. If not for the sake of playing hardball to expose the hypocrisy of Yorubas and some southerners commitment to Nigeria's unity, there is no way that I can support such proposal.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by 9javoice1(m): 8:09pm On Aug 19, 2012
THE publishers are myopic and bias in their profesion cuz they seek for the opinion of people that matters from other region, but only in SE they look for anyhow people instead of our mouth piece( Ohaneze members ). did you guys notice the fowl play there.

1)
Commenting on the proposal, the National Secretary of the Ijaw National Congress, Mr. Robinson Esite, on Thursday, condemned in strong terms those pushing for its inclusion in the constitution.

big wig nation wide

2)
Spokesperson for the Ijaw Republican Assembly, Ms. Annkio Briggs, said that the mere passing of a law would not translate a southerner living in the North to a northerner as there is more to the issue of indigenisation.
VIP even in national issues

3)
Also, the Yoruba social-political organisation, Afenifere, said the indigenisation clause being proposed for inclusion in the nation’s constitution was unnecessary.The General Secretary of the organisation, Chief Seinde Arogbofa, in an interview on Thursday in Akure, urged the lawmakers to forget about the idea because it would not work.
important personel nation wide

4)
The National Publicity Secretary of the forum, Mr. Anthony Sani, said, “ACF’s position on indigene/settler issue has been that all those born in a place should be indigenes of that place, since being born in a particular place is not a matter of choice.
important personel nation wide

5)
But the Ndigbo Unity Forum threw its weight behind the proposed constitution amendment.
The president of the forum, Mr. Augustine Chukwudum, told one of our correspondents in Onitsha on Thursday that the amendment, if it eventually sailed through, would resolve a lot of social and political misgivings in the country.
A nobody around his street talkless of onitsha environ how much more igbo as whole.

the problem here is that there is no igbo social group that unites igbo which has their office at onitsha nor aba.
why and how did the reporters went to people that matters in other region but don't find it meet to go to Ohaneze members for opinion.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by nduchucks: 8:19pm On Aug 19, 2012
ACM10:

I becomes concerned whenever my position and yours on important issues looks exactly alike. If not for the sake of playing hardball to expose the hypocrisy of Yorubas and some southerners commitment to Nigeria's unity, there is no way that I can support such proposal.

Please explain your prejudice and I will allay your fears once and for all. I'd also suggest to you that if you put tribalism and bigotry aside, you'll find that my positions on most topics are well reasoned.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by 9javoice1(m): 8:21pm On Aug 19, 2012
ACM10: I becomes concerned whenever my position and yours on important issues looks exactly alike. If not for the sake of playing hardball to expose the hypocrisy of Yorubas and some southerners commitment to Nigeria's unity, there is no way that I can support such proposal.

dont worry my dear brother, the caption is deceivin and wrong.
it looks as if regions has taking their stand but the story is far from that.

no matter what, igbos can never go the side of the north in a present nigeria issues.

UNTILL THE CORE-NORTH DO AWAY WITH SHARIAH AND STOP KILLING INNOCENT NIGERIANS THEY REMAIN UNWELCOMED TO OTHER TRIBES.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by 9javoice1(m): 8:22pm On Aug 19, 2012
The idea is good in terms of integrating Nigerians.

But it also would make more sense if sharia law is abolished too by the constitution
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by PhysicsQED(m): 8:24pm On Aug 19, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Well that's just the thing. From what you just said, the issue is the misinterpretation of the laws as saying something about ethnicity or where one's parents were from 100 years ago or something. I really doubt that there is any Nigerian law that makes any ethnic provisions. It seems clear that the existing laws are meant to allow states to get "equal representation" (however exactly that is determined), not ethnic groups. Because certainly there is NOT equal or proportional representation of ethnic groups across all branches of the civil service or the armed forces.

The issue seems to be de facto practices causing the problem, not de jure. If some law can be applied to curb or stop outright the tendencies of Nigerians to "never OK a person named Okechukwu to represent Sokoto" or "one named Dantata to represent Bayelsa" even when there is nothing in the existing law to support such tendencies then that law should be passed and applied immediately. If this indigene bill could somehow do that, then it's a good move forward.

1 Like

Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by 9javoice1(m): 8:28pm On Aug 19, 2012
Alhaji Maitama Sule was once the mayor of Enugu.
Igbos are always ahead in such issues. The most liberal tribe in Nigeria.

BUT IN MODERN DAY NIGERIA WHERE CORE-NORTHS NEED OUR FAVORS BUT NEVER RETURN ONE. we need to live apart till we divide or the coe-north will learn to be civil and reasonable instead of religious bigot they are now.

EVEN THEN WHEN CORE-NORTH NEVER ACCORD IGBOS SUCH OFFICE IN THE NORTH.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chris Ngige Is My Choice As The Next Anambra Governor / Who Named Disease EBOLA? / Governor Amaechi's Achievements, Please Add Yours..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.