Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause (4311 Views)

CCT Trial: APC Leaders Divided Over Saraki / House Leadership: Tension As Northern, S’east Reps Protest Exclusion / PDP Didn’t Win Elections In S’east – Kalu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by nduchucks: 8:42pm On Aug 19, 2012
9ja voice: Alhaji Maitama Sule was once the mayor of Enugu.
Igbos are always ahead in such issues. The most liberal tribe in Nigeria.

BUT IN MODERN DAY NIGERIA WHERE CORE-NORTHS NEED OUR FAVORS BUT NEVER RETURN ONE.
EVEN THEN WHEN CORE-NORTH NEVER ACCORD IGBOS SUCH OFFICE IN THE NORTH.

When was Alhaji Maitama Sule voted in as mayor of Enugu by the Igbo residents there? Stop quoting junk buddy.

May I inform you that when the so-called core-North and SW were supporting you people and favoring you with nice financial benefits, with their ground nuts and cocoa, people like you did not show any appreciation.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by PhysicsQED(m): 8:53pm On Aug 19, 2012
"You mentioned Umaru Altine, the first Lord Mayor of Enugu. Many people just mention the name but they don’t know how a Fulani man became the first Mayor of Enugu. Can you explain it? These days, people are harassed and killed in parts of the country, and they have no right to be elected or get jobs outside their states of origin, especially in the North?

It will interest you to know that Malam Umaru Altine was not appointed. He was elected Mayor of Enugu two times. Malam Umaru Altine was the Vice Chairman of the NCNC Youth Association at Enugu. He identified with the NCNC as a political party. During elections NCNC decided to nominate him at Coal Camp where he lived. He contested and won the election in the same manner as we did that kind of thing in many places. After what happened at Ibadan and the crisis it precipitated in the East, Altine was fully involved with us. He was arrested with me as I told you, and we were imprisoned together. That was in 1952. I shared the same prison cell with him and one Ernest Obianwu and one Akunne Nwanolue, and one Okeke, a blacksmith from Awka.Later, one M. E. Ogon from Ogoja later came and joined us. When Altine won the election, we decided that this man did not see himself as a Fulani man but a nationalist. And we NCNC we believe in one Nigeria. So, let him be the Mayor of Enugu. In the same manner, John Umoru, from Etsako in today’s Edo State which was then in the Western Region, was presented by the NCNC as a candidate for the House of Assembly, and he won to represent Port Harcourt in the Eastern Nigerian House of Assembly. Later, Zik appointed him as Parliamentary Secretary to the Premier. That was the way we saw Nigeria at that time. When the Eastern House of Chiefs was constituted Malam Umaru Yushau, the Sarkin Hausawa or chief of the Hausas at Onitsha, was elected as a member of the Eastern House of Chiefs. He was there until the military coups of 1966.I must mention that a year or two before the coup, the Sardauna of Sokoto and Premier of Northern Region, reciprocated our gesture by appointing one Felix Okonkwo, then known as “Okonkwo Kano”, as a special member of the Northern House of Chiefs. He was the leader of the Igbo State Union, which was very strong. It had Igbo State primary and secondary schools everywhere, including the North." - Chief Mbazulike Amechi

This happened elsewhere as well. For example, Chike Nwafor Ekwuyasi was elected to represent Benin in the Western House of Assembly in the 50s even though he was born in another area. I think that if not for the events of the 60s, Nigerians would have eventually got over this settler/indigene thing or they would have at least made much more progress on it than they have today.

1 Like

Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by nduchucks: 8:59pm On Aug 19, 2012
^^^^Good stuff
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by 9javoice1(m): 9:11pm On Aug 19, 2012
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/02/how-the-colonial-masters-empowered-the-north-%E2%80%94-chief-mbazulike-amechi/

read this and you will never like this bill.

but all the sAme the bill is dead and gone.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by PhysicsQED(m): 9:18pm On Aug 19, 2012
9ja voice: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/02/how-the-colonial-masters-empowered-the-north-%E2%80%94-chief-mbazulike-amechi/

read this and you will never like this bill.

but all the sAme the bill is dead and gone.

Well I've read it, and in fact I just quoted it in my last post, and I think that if the bill can be used to make Nigerians stop discriminating against others on the basis of ethnic origin, then it should be passed.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by vladimiros: 9:20pm On Aug 19, 2012
HAS ANYONE NOT SEEN THAT THIS IS A PLOT TO MAKE FULANI INVADE YOU MORE AND CLAIM YOUR OIL?

OPEN YOUR EYES
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by Noiseless2: 9:23pm On Aug 19, 2012
Developments such as these are the reason why we are trying to come up with ENYI some few weeks ago,but we stop discussing everything on here,though the process is still going so if you interested you can contact onlytruth,face,samikenna,pointb or odumchi any of these guys will update you, and you can see where you can get involved.
9ja voice: THE publishers are myopic and bias in their profesion cuz they seek for the opinion of people that matters from other region, but only in SE they look for anyhow people instead of our mouth piece( Ohaneze members ). did you guys notice the fowl play there.

1)
big wig nation wide

2)
VIP even in national issues

3)
important personel nation wide

4)
important personel nation wide

5)
A nobody around his street talkless of onitsha environ how much more igbo as whole.

the problem here is that there is no igbo social group that unites igbo which has their office at onitsha nor aba.
why and how did the reporters went to people that matters in other region but don't find it meet to go to Ohaneze members for opinion.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by dustydee: 9:28pm On Aug 19, 2012
It is, in my opinion, the South that is not as tolerant as some parts of the North. For example, in my state (NIger) and some states in the North, there are people from different parts of the country that work in the state civil service which is virtually impossible in the south except for Lagos and probably a few south east states. The SS I am pretty sure will not allow me to work in their civil service even if I was born there.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by Noiseless2: 9:38pm On Aug 19, 2012
They are all liars and hypocrites,they have never respected the word of their mouth,they will say anything that sounds good whenever they want to deceive us and we will never fall again for their wicked tricks. Let each and everyone go their own way.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by PhysicsQED(m): 9:40pm On Aug 19, 2012
dustydee: It is, in my opinion, the South that is not as tolerant as some parts of the North. For example, in my state (NIger) and some states in the North, there are people from different parts of the country that work in the state civil service which is virtually impossible in the south except for Lagos and probably a few south east states. The SS I am pretty sure will not allow me to work in their civil service even if I was born there.

And you reached this conclusion how? Did you carry out some kind of study?

Maybe you should indicate which part or parts of the "South South" you're referring to, because it certainly doesn't apply to my state.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by odogwux(m): 9:42pm On Aug 19, 2012
The Mayor of Enugu was Umaru Altine. It is a pity that all our Nigerianness we are still looked upon with suspicion and hatred. This is why we should work towards a referendum and decide what we want to do with ourselves. Indigene/settler bill my arse

9ja voice: Alhaji Maitama Sule was once the mayor of Enugu.
Igbos are always ahead in such issues. The most liberal tribe in Nigeria.

BUT IN MODERN DAY NIGERIA WHERE CORE-NORTHS NEED OUR FAVORS BUT NEVER RETURN ONE. we need to live apart till we divide or the coe-north will learn to be civil and reasonable instead of religious bigot they are now.

EVEN THEN WHEN CORE-NORTH NEVER ACCORD IGBOS SUCH OFFICE IN THE NORTH.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by alex14(m): 9:48pm On Aug 19, 2012
Any Igbo that supports this useless bill is a traitor to the Igbo nation angry. I don't know why our people (elected and non-elected officials) are so brainless? If this law passes, Ndigbo would be the biggest loosers. It will increase the rate of "efulefuism" in Igboland, astronomically. Without this law, Ndigbo already have a false sense of "one-nigeria" by buying up properties outside the SE in large proportion,,,so your guess is as good as mine if this law passes sad.

The earlier we start helping to bring apart this dungeon of a country, the better for us as a people. Imagine if there is a Biafran or Igbo republic? You could build up your country militarily and project your might across the region. Even, you could fight for your citizens' right to compensation for his/her properties in any part of former nigeria cool
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by sbeezy8: 9:53pm On Aug 19, 2012
HAHAHAH lmfao- all you people yarning about Lagos- Lagos is my state but really I dont give two fuks about who becomes gov for 4 or 8 yrs as long as it progresses. both my parents were born outside SW-

a yoruba being absorbed? is a joke- in my fam I have all plenty of different tribes in nigeria, edo igbo urhobo,igala,efik,nupe- plenty of cousins who have a parent from benin,niger,togo,sierre leone,ghana,etc. and they all end up being yorubanized anyway. even my cousins who are half hausa from Niger republc speak yoruba and have yoruba names.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by MacLovington(m): 2:52pm On Oct 04, 2012
dustydee: It is, in my opinion, the South that is not as tolerant as some parts of the North. For example, in my state (NIger) and some states in the North, there are people from different parts of the country that work in the state civil service which is virtually impossible in the south except for Lagos and probably a few south east states. The SS I am pretty sure will not allow me to work in their civil service even if I was born there.

I don't think you know the South as well as you think.

Take Edo state for example. Evening news on state TV is read in Igbo, Yoruba, Urhobo etc. These are in addition to Bini, Ishan, Etsako etc.
You can turn up in Edo state with any name: Edo, Igbo, Islamic, christian, yoruba and claim to be Edo indigene.

People forget that Benin City was once one of only 5 capital cities in Naija and that meant lots of federal civil servants from all over Nigeria. These people had children who were born and bred there.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by Truckpusher(m): 1:20pm On Nov 14, 2012
Indeginization is another ploy by the three major tribes of Nigeria to swallow up the smaller trIbes around them.This is one of the reasons why the south east is welcoming the idea because it will serve their long time dream of annexing the Niger Delta ....but you guys just made a wrong move, because it would be blood! blood!! blood!!! All the way to the death.
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by Akanbiedu(m): 2:02pm On Nov 14, 2012
Truckpusher: Indeginization is another ploy by the three major tribes of Nigeria to swallow up the smaller trIbes around them.This is one of the reasons why the south east is welcoming the idea because it will serve their long time dream of annexing the Niger Delta ....but you guys just made a wrong move, because it would be blood! blood!! blood!!! All the way to the death.

It is in everybody's interest that bigger groups swallow up the smaller ones......and BLOOD is definitely part of it. hundreds or thousands to save millions. cool
Re: S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause by tunnytox(m): 2:21pm On Nov 14, 2012
Only those who move around like gypsies will support this fake and irrelevant policy. Give us SNC so we can have regional autonomy and resource control. To your tents or Isreal!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GEJ Replaces 50 Northern SSS Operatives Guarding Aso Rock With Southern SSS / (Photos) Alao Akala Achievement As Oyo State Governor / Senate Presidency: Mark Plans To Dump PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.