Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,606 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Requirements For Zakat? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Requirements For Zakat? (1268 Views)

The Virtue In Giving The Alms (zakat) / 8 Basic Errors Muslims Make When Paying Zakat Al-fitr / How Zakat Can Reduce Poverty and Starvation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Requirements For Zakat? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Aug 18, 2012
So after paying Zakat are we required to also pay the Mallams/Imams that we give the Zakat payment to?
Because the Mallams in the central Mosque in this town asked my parents to pay another 200naira (along with the Zakat) for each and every single one of us in the family. They said it was to cover the transport fares of those who would do the giving out of the Zakat.
They didn't request for it as a gift but made it sound like a mandatory requirement.

I haven't heard about this before. I doubt that their directive is legitimate.
Do people normally do this?

Happy Eid in advance. smiley
Re: Requirements For Zakat? by maclatunji: 5:39pm On Aug 18, 2012
fellis: So after paying Zakat are we required to also pay the Mallams/Imams that we give the Zakat payment to?
Because the Mallams in the central Mosque in this town asked my parents to pay another 200naira (along with the Zakat) for each and every single one of us in the family. They said it was to cover the transport fares of those who would do the giving out of the Zakat.
They didn't request for it as a gift but made it sound like a mandatory requirement.

I haven't heard about this before. I doubt that their directive is not legitimate.
Do people normally do this?

Happy Eid in advance. smiley

People don't usually do that. It is a creation of the Mallams. Please make it clear that you are referring to Zakatul Fitr.

Eid Mubarak
Re: Requirements For Zakat? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 18, 2012
maclatunji:

People don't usually do that. It is a creation of the Mallams. [/b] Please make it clear that you are referring to Zakatul Fitr.[b]

Eid Mubarak
I was. Thanks for the reply.
I think they are up to no good. They kept telling my folks to bring one very big bowl of raw rice per head for each of us as if we had told them what our accumulated wealth for the year is.
Re: Requirements For Zakat? by LagosShia: 6:34pm On Aug 18, 2012
fellis:
I was. Thanks for the reply.
I think they are up to no good. They kept telling my folks to bring one very big bowl of raw rice per head for each of us as if we had told them what our accumulated wealth for the year is.

this has nothing to do with accumulated wealth.this is zakatul-fitr and not annual zakat or khums calculated based on accumulated wealth.

it is 3 KG of grains that people consume.grains can be rice or even beans.get an idea of how much is one kg and calculate.

what i would advice you so these miscreants do not confuse or cheat you,is for you to do the calculation by yourself and find a physically disabled person who is needy and give it to the person yourself.otherwise,these miscreants are becoming as annoying as the mega pastors who are fleecing the pockets of their blind followers.do not allow them to control you.you are a muslim and this is Islam,not christianity.i am sure you do not need their "deliverance" or promise of "breakthrough".we Muslims depend on Allah (swt) and not on these miscreants.

usually the marji-at-taqlid in the Shia Muslim world have their representatives who collect khums and zakat.unfortunately,i do not know any marji-at-taqlid with a wakeel-ash-shar'ee (legal representative) in Lagos.i know there are in the north.Ayatollah Khamanei and Ayatollah Sistani have representatives.

so what i just did a few hours ago is to calculate the zakatul fitr and i handed it over to a needy person.in that way you help the needy and Allah (swt) will bless you because there is no channel of exploitation.if there are reliable channels to my marji-at-taqlid i would have handed the sum over to the person because i am sure the money would be used judiciously to help the Muslims and take care of the needy.you will feel happy when you see the work they do with the alms you give and you see that it is of benefit to the society.
Re: Requirements For Zakat? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 18, 2012
LagosShia:

this has nothing to do with accumulated wealth.this is zakatul-fitr and not annual zakat or khums calculated based on accumulated wealth.
Hm. A lot of things I need to read up on.
LagosShia:
it is 3 KG of grains that people consume.grains can be rice or even beans.get an idea of how much is one kg and calculate.

what i would advice you so these miscreants do not confuse or cheat you,is for you to do the calculation by yourself and find a physically disabled person who is needy and give it to the person yourself.otherwise,these miscreants are becoming as annoying as the mega pastors who are fleecing the pockets of their blind followers.do not allow them to control you.you are a muslim and this is Islam,not christianity.i am sure you do not need their "deliverance" or promise of "breakthrough".we Muslims depend on Allah (swt) and not on these miscreants.

usually the marji-at-taqlid in the Shia Muslim world have their representatives who collect khums and zakat.unfortunately,i do not know any marji-at-taqlid with a wakeel-ash-shar'ee (legal representative) in Lagos.i know there are in the north.Ayatollah Khamanei and Ayatollah Sistani have representatives.

so what i just did a few hours ago is to calculate the zakatul fitr and i handed it over to a needy person.in that way you help the needy and Allah (swt) will bless you because there is no channel of exploitation.if there are reliable channels to my marji-at-taqlid i would have handed the sum over to the person because i am sure the money would be used judiciously to help the Muslims and take care of the needy.
@bold, I hope this behaviour of theirs is not as widespread as I suspect it to be, that would be very bad for our image as Muslims. As for giving the alms to the needy, my dad did just that. After they kept demanding transport fare and telling us that the Zakat was incomplete, he left them alone and gave the alms out by himself.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Re: Requirements For Zakat? by LagosShia: 7:02pm On Aug 18, 2012
fellis:
Hm. A lot of things I need to read up on.

@bold, I hope this behaviour of theirs is not as widespread as I suspect it to be, that would be very bad for our image as Muslims. As for giving the alms to the needy, my dad did just that. After they kept demanding transport fare and telling us that the Zakat was incomplete, he left them alone and gave the alms out by himself.
Thanks a lot for your help.

you're welcome and eid mubarak.

i dont think it is widespread because they are just being opportunistic taking advantage of the season.and besides,they are not as organized as the mega pastors who are institutionalized thieves.
Re: Requirements For Zakat? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 18, 2012
Thanks again.

Eid Mubarak to you too! smiley smiley smiley
Have fun.

(1) (Reply)

Muslims Are Not Terrorists!!! / Muslim Writers Must Focus On Issues – Abu Umar Al-faruq / Marry While You Are Still Young

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.