Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

30 Sure Ways Of Creating Business Names That Sell - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 30 Sure Ways Of Creating Business Names That Sell (996 Views)

Imported Things That Sell Faster In Nigeria. / 5 Hottest Products That Sell Without Adverts In Nigeria / Various Ways Of Making Money Online! Hot Tutorials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

30 Sure Ways Of Creating Business Names That Sell by Xssador(m): 4:25am On Aug 21, 2012
Surely, a good name is not only better than riches, but it also communicates what you stand for. Choosing an “everyday name” for your business is like choosing an ordinary name for a baby. Names are powerful. Names speak volume.

Over the years, I have received calls from people who want to start their businesses that have been disturbed by the minors and vitals. Some of these minors have been “how do I register my business name?”, “How do I choose a Business name?”, “how do I start now? How? How? ” The list is endless. Today, I have succeeded in creating over 11 titillating business names for people. But how do I do it?

This explains why I came up with this e-book, 30 SURE WAYS OF CREATING BUSINESS NAMES THAT SELL. McDonalds, KFC, Mr Biggs, Virgin Airline, glo, i-AfriCASH, Channels, Mainframe, First Bank; these names sound beautiful and cool and you can add to the list on your own, at the comment space after this article. How do you make yours too exceptionally sellable?

I have put together in this e-book, 30 SURE WAYS OF CREATING BUSINESS NAMES THAT SELL. I enjoy this intellectual exercise and I think every other person too should do too. Beyond making you come up with an exceptionally unique and captivating coinage, you would have learnt some new words, terms, ideas, jargons and officialese, particularly as it has to do with your business.

If it requires you taking a deep thought, brainstorming or surfing the net or literature, do it. Count it not as a wasted effort or exercise in futility. Instead, it reduces to the thinnest and tiniest, the chances of your business name, being turned down by the CAC. I mean the Corporate Affairs Commission. Meanwhile, do not hesitate to seek counsel from people you can CONFIDE in. The “ideas Vultures” are everywhere. Okay, lets start: 30 SURE WAYS OF CREATING BUSINESS NAMES THAT SELL

Here is an excerpt of the e-book, 30 SURE WAYS OF CREATING BUSINESS NAMES THAT SELL by Diamond Brain.

Jargons/ Terminologies: Jargons are words, phrases or expression associated with a particular profession or discipline. Think of words, tools, acts, places, people, values, and ethics –anything that surrounds your nature of business – Note please, something GOOD.

E.g .

Restaurant – Finger-Licking Canteen

Computer – Mini-Mouse Computers

Building Materials – Pillar Tech.

Language (Native and Official) : Spanish, French, German, Greek, Latin and even your native language are very good source of unique business names. Using foreign language as your business name gives you a Spanish or a French or German appearance as the case may be. The challenge in it is likely to be in the pronunciation. To avoid people losing their teeth pronouncing it, just ensure that it is not too mouthful, not offensive and relevant to you business.

E.g.

Spanish : Belezza goes for beauty

Yoruba – Oge (Fashion) - Oge Beauty Center

Hausa – Kakaaki (Trumpet) Kakaaki Media Concept

Portmanteau Words: A portmanteau word is a combination of parts of two or more word to form a word.

E.g.

Education + Entertainment = Edutainment.

Motor + Hotel = Motel

You may choose to combine part of your first name and surname to achieve one word. You have seen similar cases in YEM-KEM, YET-KEM, and KAM-BELL, YEM-LAT, ABI-KAZ

Agglutination: This is the combination of two or more words to make a word. You may or may not hyphenate it, depending what pleases your creative taste.

E.g.

Sky + Brand = Skybrand

Brain + Field = Brainfield

PEN + SKILL = PEN-SKILL

Abbreviation: To abbreviate is to shorten a word, while initials is a representation of a word with its first letter. Mr. Oscar Obi chooses to use initials. But instead of O.O. Services, he calls it O’ Square services. As for Miss Kofoworola Kushimo she does not like K Square, but prefers the abbreviation method. Hence she calls her fashion outlet “KUSH CONCEPTS”. Isn’t that touché?
Anglicism: This is the act of making your name sound English. In other words, make your name funky. This we often do at times without recourse to the beauty and creative value of it. Though this is best for some specified businesses, like Entertainment, Fashion, and Arts. You and I know where you can get a lot of it. On Facebook, of course.

E.g

Dele – Day Lay

Jide – G-Day

Kafayat – Kaffy

Though some people have reservation to this grammatical attitude, yet, it is your choice, it is your business.

Orthographic Manipulation – This is one of the most effective for those who are good spellers. Orthography is the study of spelling. You can maneuver the spelling of your word of choice in these ways

(i) Sound: You spell the word the way it will be written if uttered in your local language or setting. E.g. NAIJA (Niger),KOMPUTA (Computer), KAFE (Cafe), Blu (Blue).Or other word(s) that you can produce from that same sound. E.g. Highlight (Eye Light Cosmetics)

(ii)Spell from Rear: Try spell the word from the rear if it would make a good sense.E.g Funke calls her jewelries store, EKNUF JEWELRRIES.Mr. Ajayi calls his art studio IYAJA ARTS. Meanwhile, if you spelt it back watch out for 2 things, it must make either a good sound or a good thing. When a business man, Jamiu spells his name backward. It became U-IMAJ and he makes it “U-Emerge Media Concepts” – wonderful.

http://iafricash.com/30-sure-ways-of-creating-business-names-that-sell/#comment-287

(1) (Reply)

Maliyo Games: A Farmville For Africa - BBC Future Feature / Laundry Palace In Abakaliki / Mtn Glo Airtel Recharge Card Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.