Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,900 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Hating My Job. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Hating My Job. (10362 Views)

My Job Interview Experience Today / How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. / Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hating My Job. by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 22, 2012
Amaka O: I had a similar problem. To add pepper to d wound I'm married wit little kids. I liv home b4 they wake up in d morning & get back wen they αяє asleep due to d hrs of d job plus Lagos traffic. On top ♍Ɣ boss is a 52 year old spinster wit no kids. When i took in for ♍Ɣ 3rd issue, she started picking on me 4 no reason. The nx thing i did was to resign. I'm happy now, will look 4 a job wit reasonable time & distance or go into biz.

That was the very best decision that you can take for your life. If u do a job that separates u from ur family, after 25 years, ur kids will grow up and u will not know jack about them. Its best to be a teacher and earn 40k monthly and bring up ur kids than to earn 500k in a bank and yet ur kids will have ur House help or Nanny`s character.
U did well.
Re: Hating My Job. by Blazed(m): 1:12pm On Aug 22, 2012
Keep tryin to get back to ur old self. With God, u r gonna love ur job once again. Dnt consider quiting, it aint rossie out there. Good luck
Re: Hating My Job. by mrperfect(m): 1:14pm On Aug 22, 2012
Change your mind-set towards the job, you will be fine.
Re: Hating My Job. by ideee03(f): 1:15pm On Aug 22, 2012
M M M: Sijo01

Don't worry everything will be all right when u resign. wink

Just quit ur job, I will employ u & give u a better job in my bedroom undecided
na wao...
Re: Hating My Job. by tunapawizzy: 1:18pm On Aug 22, 2012
now we know its because ur boss wants to yansh u coupled with salary reduction. sincerely it depends on the kinda person u are. but if i were u i would manage d job and be as professional as possible while i look for another. That's d best i can think of. However there are other options, u might choose to resign while u hunt for another job. U might also give in to oga's request n negotiate a very juicy salary for ursef. It all depends on ur aspirations and what u are willing to sacrifice for what
Re: Hating My Job. by ideee03(f): 1:21pm On Aug 22, 2012
U need a vacation...as for me,i need a job...i need money meehhnnn....
Re: Hating My Job. by Damysa(f): 1:31pm On Aug 22, 2012
aniffy4eva:

Hi. I was in your shoes a few years ago. I HATED my job. Sad part was that it was ONE that people were willing to die for! It was with one of the "Big 4" accounting firms. I woke up one morning and decided it was time for me to resign. People thought they were following me from the village. grin Well. i resigned and took time to discover myself. I worked pro bono with a small firm focused on human capital development. I read books on self-discovery, financial freedom, wealth creation, multiple streams of income etc I changed my network of friends because you can never rise above the power of your network. i basically re-invented myself tongue

Today, i have a job that i enjoy doing (i could do for free) and pays me quite well cheesy , i have multiple streams of income and i'm basically living the life that was a mirage a few years ago. My questions are:
1) Where do you see yourself 5 years from today?
2) Are you willing to pay the price to get there?

Part of paying the price may be staying with your job while you develop other competencies OR stepping out and conquering your FEAR of the unknown.
Either way, AS you lay your bed........ so shall you lie on it.

You can send me a PM if there's a need to discuss personally. Otherwise, here is fine as well.

I'have same issue, would like to talk to u personally
Re: Hating My Job. by Lordmike: 1:31pm On Aug 22, 2012
never resign ur job until u have another good plan. do you have a great plan to rely on if not then start thinking of something. Also for now change your mindset and do the work willing until you are ready for resignation. Currently I face the same issue but my is just that I feel the time I spend working for others If I put that same time in my own Thing I should go places so I have started working on a plan and have set a target for myself when to resign and do my own thing. for now change ur mindset and do the work well until you have a great plan or another job.
Re: Hating My Job. by ujuirene(f): 1:39pm On Aug 22, 2012

That's all you have to tell her?
Re: Hating My Job. by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 22, 2012
Sijo01: I don't know what went wrong; i don't enjoy my job anymore. Waking up every morning with the thought of going to the office gives me migraine, i am always reluctant in discharging my duties (though i do it but not as fast as before), not willing to help my colleagues anymore, cant even stand/tolerate their attitudes.

The only option on my mind now is to resign my appointment, but the fear of going back to the labour market is the beginning of wisdom.

Please, has anybody been on my shoe before? How did you overcome the situation?

Fellow employee, your advise/counsel will be highly appreciated.

Please, be free to put any question across.
Thanks.
what country are you in ?
Re: Hating My Job. by tellwisdom: 1:44pm On Aug 22, 2012
sinjonro, can u moderate NL?
Re: Hating My Job. by ujuirene(f): 1:45pm On Aug 22, 2012

That's all you have to tell her?
cry lipsrsealed grin
Re: Hating My Job. by andyanders: 1:46pm On Aug 22, 2012
Just hang in there and find time to find out what gives you joy while working or relaxing. If you love music, find soft music to play while working. Try to find things that can make you put off those things that you find boring. Also ask God to help you out if you can pray. Sometimes, many things around you can put you off, but try and find a way to accommodate your environment and people you work with, complementing that by being cheerful.

I know for you to have aired this, you are worried and want a way forward.
Never mind, first, do not quit and second, put up a smile and try to find a way to enjoy your job and environment where you work.

2 Likes

Re: Hating My Job. by kpolli(m): 1:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
Sijo01: I don't know what went wrong; i don't enjoy my job anymore. Waking up every morning with the thought of going to the office gives me migraine, i am always reluctant in discharging my duties (though i do it but not as fast as before), not willing to help my colleagues anymore, cant even stand/tolerate their attitudes.

The only option on my mind now is to resign my appointment, but the fear of going back to the labour market is the beginning of wisdom.

Thanks.

I have but I never resigned until I saw something better to do. . . Now am out of there, missing the place thou sad
Re: Hating My Job. by aniffy4eva(m): 2:12pm On Aug 22, 2012
Damysa:
I'have same issue, would like to talk to u personally

Sent you an invite.
Re: Hating My Job. by tijehi(f): 2:22pm On Aug 22, 2012
Please hurry up and quit the yeye job o jare. So that someone who has being crying for a job for the last 3years can be offered the job. o pari.
Re: Hating My Job. by joshuakume: 2:24pm On Aug 22, 2012
The job market is not employing,make the best out of your circumstances.
Re: Hating My Job. by LordReed(m): 2:39pm On Aug 22, 2012
@Sijo01
Doesn't your job have opportunities for advancement? Have your responsibilities changed since you started working?

If there are opportunities to be promoted to a higher level than you currently are on you must begin to explore them diligently. If there are no spots in your current department you should also consider seeking a transfer to another department where you can either get a chance to advance or just a different set of responsibilities.

Your lack of enthusiasm may just be tied to the fact that the responsibilities you currently handle no longer excite you. In any case you do need a change. Seek it even if it means change jobs entirely but do not resign your current job just because you feel lethargic. It just might be a passing phase tied to your state of health so maybe you just need a vacation to rest and get out of the office and acquire a new perspective of your job.

One is sure though, it is time to explore.

2 Likes

Re: Hating My Job. by hardbody: 3:07pm On Aug 22, 2012

Thanks.

Do you have responsibilties? if yes, stick it out and work towards making the workplace and your job as enticing as possible. 5 years ago, i felt the same way, and i resigned and walked first back home and later to the employment market. I had no responsibilties then, i will not do the same today.Do you have a very decent qualification (chains of degree and tested experience), do you have contacts in fairly high places?, if you have a wavering doubt in any of the above questions, sister, i will advise, nay , instruct that you stick it out there until you get an alternative job. my last word, there is no perfect employer and no ideal employment. someday sometime, the feeling will come back and it will be time to move again, either home or to the labour market or better still into another job, and the circle continues

3 Likes

Re: Hating My Job. by here: 3:11pm On Aug 22, 2012
I always do believe anytime you discover your job is no longer interesting, then consider how lazy you have become because for 1, you are out of ideas.
But "Hey!" it pays the bill for the moment so enjoy it anyway or/and get yourself ready for another.
I believe one of the reasons anyone would decide to lose joy in one's job is if you think you are better than what you do, but if you really think you are that smart then develop your networking & professional skill, get a better position and move, no intelligent person who is not lazy has time to be bored
Re: Hating My Job. by farous(m): 3:16pm On Aug 22, 2012
To be frank with you,you CANNOT get any helpful advice that will make you take a decission here.Why,it is a personal decission you will make to yourself.The issue here is based on a bold step.I was in your shoes,i have seek advice from many ways,some will be telling you,please dont try it,others will be telling you,pls take a bold step and resign,at the end of the advice,you will be more confused.Please go and meditate,think over and over and take a decission by yourself.I am still saying it,believe me or not,you will be more confused seeking advice regarding this matter in this forum.Thanks

1 Like

Re: Hating My Job. by crackhouse(m): 3:35pm On Aug 22, 2012
My dear, u have to set a goal for urself and always remind urself that u have to work towards achieving it. By so doing u will have a mindset that u are heading to somewhere and that will make u to always think of how to actualise it thereby driving out other thoughts that's already occupying ur mind. Also remind urself that it's from ur current job that u will get what u will use to actualise ur dream and this will definitely make u to see ur job as sth precious or a stepping stone to ur dream and hey! with such a mindset, u will not want anything that will jeopardise ur current job and that's when the joy to continue with ur current job will come in b/cos u would not want to loose the job again. Ur goal can be an investment that will be a source of income to u, i mean where u can always fall back on.

1 Like

Re: Hating My Job. by swiftycool(m): 5:16pm On Aug 22, 2012
Hating your job could be a sign of a bigger potential in you, however, you need to be sure what you'd rather prefare doing and if u R really good @ it as well as ready 4 it.

I was once in a somewhat similar position working as a point man in a company where I spent months in d bushes pushing production and raking in hundreds of millions for them despite very little resources provided under difficult conditions, yet most of my excellent recommendations 4 better productivity were never appreciated. I later made up my mind to work on a plan towards building my own coy which I'd always dreamed of and months later after planning my finances, and budgeting for my next moves, I started my company on a small scale and today I thank God for what I've achieved so far, I just wonder why I never had the gutts to quit much earlier. Its not yet easier but its much more fun and valuable to get higher rewards directly 4 ur own painstaken inputs and decisions from clients.

Bottom line, know what u really want in life and let ur anger drive u to achieve it.stop fulfilling other peoples dreams with ur precious time, reach 4 urs! Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Hating My Job. by outofthebox: 5:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
i pretty much understand you dear..am also in your shoes now..i am resigning this month too.
the thing is i also dont have where am going to now but i have prepared for it like 4 months ago (i have written some exams with my salary).i think am good to go
..the boss dey beg me but the job na rat race job and am not getting any experience..i want core IT and am doing auto cad presently..so you see my fraustration
Re: Hating My Job. by Fiveseventy: 6:27pm On Aug 22, 2012
Personal Experience; I put up with a job related stress for 2years and eventually decided to resign. Its almost year since I embarked on an ongoing sabbatical trying to recover from multiple issues that sprung up in my personal & social life.

Advice; If your job is having a wreck on you mentally, it might be best to move on because your health is more valuable than that career or it's income.

Before you leap, reasess your objectives in life, qualifications & experience and financial position. Competition will always await you either way.

However, If you can financially afford living 1-2 years, take a sabbatical. Life is more than currency signs and digits. As Publius says

"Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop."

Travel or take time to rediscover life and the opportunities out there because you are more likely to stumble accross your dreams when moving slowly.

3 Likes

Re: Hating My Job. by Anniesalis(f): 8:27pm On Aug 22, 2012
Do wat u luv or luv wat u do. In life, pple get get tied to a job perhaps cos of fear of unknown or family pressure. Life is all abt risk, wen one door closes, somhow anoda one will surely open. [color=]Do wat u luv or luv wat u do. In life, pple get get tied to a job perhaps cos of fear of unknown or family pressure. Life is all abt risk, wen one door closes, somhow anoda one will surely open. [/color]Do wat u luv or luv wat u do. In life, pple get get tied to a job perhaps cos of fear of unknown or family pressure. Life is all abt risk, wen one door closes, somhow anoda one will surely open.
Re: Hating My Job. by Anniesalis(f): 8:28pm On Aug 22, 2012
Do wat u luv or luv wat u do. In life, pple get get tied to a job perhaps cos of fear of unknown or family pressure. Life is all abt risk, wen one door closes, somhow anoda one will surely open.
Re: Hating My Job. by showbams: 10:25pm On Aug 22, 2012
I am right now in ur situation. I stumbled into this forun cos i cld not sleep. I think of leaving the bank job every blessed day but i am always afraid of the future. Even though i have my dreams of obtainin more qualification to become a lecturer but i still cannot face my husband with the request to quit. Can someone help with this question. Cant i leave this job and go headlong for my masters which i am starting soon cos i have gotten d admission. Pls help am down with so much thought.
Re: Hating My Job. by jay4lyf(f): 10:36pm On Aug 22, 2012
aniffy4eva:

Hi. I was in your shoes a few years ago. I HATED my job. Sad part was that it was ONE that people were willing to die for! It was with one of the "Big 4" accounting firms. I woke up one morning and decided it was time for me to resign. People thought they were following me from the village. grin Well. i resigned and took time to discover myself. I worked pro bono with a small firm focused on human capital development. I read books on self-discovery, financial freedom, wealth creation, multiple streams of income etc I changed my network of friends because you can never rise above the power of your network. i basically re-invented myself tongue

Today, i have a job that i enjoy doing (i could do for free) and pays me quite well cheesy , i have multiple streams of income and i'm basically living the life that was a mirage a few years ago. My questions are:
1) Where do you see yourself 5 years from today?
2) Are you willing to pay the price to get there?

Part of paying the price may be staying with your job while you develop other competencies OR stepping out and conquering your FEAR of the unknown.
Either way, AS you lay your bed........ so shall you lie on it.

You can send me a PM if there's a need to discuss personally. Otherwise, here is fine as well.

i like your response. pls can u list some of the books u read that helped u re-invent urslf? wld av sent a pm but dnt knw how to. thank u

1 Like

Re: Hating My Job. by aniffy4eva(m): 11:11pm On Aug 22, 2012
jay4lyf:
i like your response. pls can u list some of the books u read that helped u re-invent urslf? wld av sent a pm but dnt knw how to. thank u

Sent you an invite.
Re: Hating My Job. by jay4lyf(f): 11:14pm On Aug 22, 2012
aniffy4eva:

Sent you an invite.
i saw it but i dont knw how to accept ooo.
Re: Hating My Job. by aniffy4eva(m): 11:19pm On Aug 22, 2012
jay4lyf: i saw it but i dont knw how to accept ooo.
Just reply and we'll chat via email.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Urgent Job Opportunity At Jacobs High School, Ogun / Job Interview Questions And Answers Series (1) / KPMG Nigeria Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment (11 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.