Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,056 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Help My Engine Oil Pump Light - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help My Engine Oil Pump Light (3341 Views)

Gasket And Oil Pump / My Engine Capacity!! What Does It Mean? / My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Engine Oil Pump Light by llade(m): 8:01pm On Aug 21, 2012
Although I av not serviced my car in a while in approximately 3 months with a distance of about 4000 miles on my odometer I noticed dis afternoon dat d oil pump light was blinking. I immediately serviced d car today but d oil pump light has refused to go away. Am at a loss about wat dis cud mean. Its a toyota camry 99 model v6.
Re: Help My Engine Oil Pump Light by wewe1(m): 8:39pm On Aug 21, 2012
I am not an expert but similar case happened to my car around May this year and before I could say Jack Robinson the engine packed up. I had to buy another engine.
First let your mechanic check the oil pump if it is still functioning properly.
He should also check if it has not affected the engine.
PLEASE DONT DRIVE IT AROUND UNTILL YOU HAVE FIXED IT OR ELSE......... PREPARE TO BUY ANOTHER ENGINE.
Re: Help My Engine Oil Pump Light by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 21, 2012
llade: Although I av not serviced my car in a while in approximately 3 months with a distance of about 4000 miles on my odometer I noticed dis afternoon dat d oil pump light was blinking. I immediately serviced d car today but d oil pump light has refused to go away. Am at a loss about wat dis cud mean. Its a toyota camry 99 model v6.

You car has lost oil pressure.

The oil pressure warning is not an oil level indicator, it indicates oil pressure.

Possible causes:

001) Faulty oil pressure.
002) Worn main bearings.
003) Blocked oil pick-up.
004) Incorrect oil grade.
005) Oil pressure relief valve stuck open.
006) Oil carbonised in engine / oil pan, due to too long intervals between oil changes.
007) Faulty / incorrect oil filter.
008) Faulty oil pressure switch.

Either way, you should NOT drive the car, till whatever the issues are are rectified. You shouldn't even run the engine. If the oil pressure is low, your engine will seive up. If you're driving fast and it seizes, your engine could end up with a hole in the crankcase, if a conrod lets go, and punches its way out.
Re: Help My Engine Oil Pump Light by llade(m): 9:16am On Aug 22, 2012
Am confused just called my mechanic and he said he has to change/check the oilpump and service the oil stump. I told him to come and c the car himself. I managed to drive it to the office n observed that when i start it initially, the oil pump light goes off and comes back after a while like 3 minutes and the car has refused to fire n drive beyond 80 km/hr.
Re: Help My Engine Oil Pump Light by llade(m): 9:19am On Aug 22, 2012
and when i fire it i hear some rattling noise and my mechanic has told me not to fire it again. he is coming to pick it dis monin though.
Re: Help My Engine Oil Pump Light by mdautotec(m): 11:13am On Aug 22, 2012
Sounds like the insufficient oil pressure has already affected the connecting rod / main bearings. That's the rattling sound you are hearing when accelerating. DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE!

As he said, let him drop the oil pan and check the oil pump strainer, most likely it will be partially blocked with sludge/contaminants. This is caused by the string of molecules being broken down in the oil if it remains in the engine for too long due to irregular oil change intervals. The thickened oil cannot be pumped through the engine oil passages, vital components etc. This increases the work load on the oil pump and weakens it gradually until pressure reduces to a point when the oil light circuit is triggered; hence the oil light on the instrument cluster.

Also using the correct oil grade specified by the manufacturer is crucial for engine longevity and efficiency.

Good luck!
Re: Help My Engine Oil Pump Light by llade(m): 2:54pm On Aug 22, 2012
Tanks to u all. av been using mobil xhp but d mechanic said we av to use ap super v now n he said he wud need to change d metals, clear d sludge n put new engine oil n oil filter ope dis works.
Re: Help My Engine Oil Pump Light by llade(m): 3:24pm On Aug 22, 2012
I feel so ashamed of myself. Ow cud I leave d car for so long without servicing. I need to b flogged imagine for over 3 months. Now av spent over 10k just now wen I cud av used less dan 10k to prevent dis. I repent from today.
Re: Help My Engine Oil Pump Light by Nobody: 11:11pm On Aug 22, 2012
^^^ Oil is not changed every three months in a modern engine. It's every 12 months, with spark plugs, air and fuel filters replaced every other service.
Re: Help My Engine Oil Pump Light by autodoctor: 6:11pm On Aug 23, 2012
Ever wondered what all the warning lights displayed on your car dashboard means (I.e Check Engine, Service Engine Soon, Maintenance required etc). Have you been experiencing a high consumption of petrol by your car? Has your car's performance been on the decline? Have you had all sorts of trial and error technicians compounding your car problems rather that providing lasting solutions? Are you fed up?
DON'T BE.

Just click on the link below for free technical advice and free diagnosis and engine scan. This offer is free to all Nairalanders and only for cars in Abuja.

https://www.nairaland.com/1002588/free-powertrain-scan-cars-abuja#11596927

(Modify) (Quote) (Report)

(1) (Reply)

**Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration / What Could Be Breaking My Front Shock Absorber Springs / Inquiry: Who Has A Skoda Octavia?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.