Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,611 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? (19815 Views)

Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine / My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by mecussey(m): 9:48am On Aug 09, 2012
My engine rings are failing, is it better to change the engine or the rings? The engine still has full compression, sounds so good, and only smoke when i fire to maximum. I heard our Nigerian mechanics can't coil rings like the original and may not last upto 6 months after the coiling.
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 12:10pm On Aug 09, 2012
mecussey: My engine rings are failing, is it better to change the engine or the rings? The engine still has full compression, sounds so good, and only smoke when i fire to maximum. I heard our Nigerian mechanics can't coil rings like the original and may not last upto 6 months after the coiling.

What colour is the smoke?

Ikenna
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by xcitedjay(m): 1:39pm On Aug 09, 2012
If you can get a good mechanic to re~ring it good but if you've got the money to buy a new engine better. I don't think the ring is the problem since the engine still sounds good and only gives out smoke at high speed.
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by mecussey(m): 9:42am On Aug 10, 2012
Ikenna351:

What colour is the smoke?

Ikenna
The smoke is white
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by mecussey(m): 9:45am On Aug 10, 2012
xcitedjay: If you can get a good mechanic to re~ring it good but if you've got the money to buy a new engine better. I don't think the ring is the problem since the engine still sounds good and only gives out smoke at high speed.
Ofcourse i cant afford new engine at the moment but belgium which i still find costly. If the ring is not the problem, what can it be?
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 3:12pm On Aug 10, 2012
mecussey: The smoke is white

Hope you are sure of the colour? Some do take the blue colour as white, since it wont be pure blue.

Anyway, if its white like you said, your car needs a cylinder head job. It could be only the head gasket that would need to be replaced, as usually the case. But you should know if the head gasket is faulty via other symptoms. Is the car overheating? Do you top or refill the radiator everyone now & then without seeing any point of leakage? Have you check for bubbles when you open your radiator cap few mins after first start in the morning?

If the colour is blue, then the rings, piston & cylinder walls could have worn. Does the oil level reduces frequently without any sign of leakage?

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by sultaan(m): 12:23am On Aug 11, 2012
This is what happens when you use the wrong oils.

Your check engine light is on what is the code?
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by mecussey(m): 8:16am On Aug 14, 2012
Ikenna351:

Hope you are sure of the colour? Some do take the blue colour as white, since it wont be pure blue.

Anyway, if its white like you said, your car needs a cylinder head job. It could be only the head gasket that would need to be replaced, as usually the case. But you should know if the head gasket is faulty via other symptoms. Is the car overheating? Do you top or refill the radiator everyone now & then without seeing any point of leakage? Have you check for bubbles when you open your radiator cap few mins after first start in the morning?

If the colour is blue, then the rings, piston & cylinder walls could have worn. Does the oil level reduces frequently without any sign of leakage?

Ikenna
Thanks Ikenna, it may be sky blue like you said, not really sure. Its like the kind of cloud we see in the sky on a very sunny day. One thing is that the oil level goes down frequently. I don't just trust my mechanic in terms of competence, he said if he changes the rings that it could carry me for another 6 months. I am just afraid settings are gonna change should they touch it. I am sure he was the cause after servicing the engine with a very bad oil. Anyways, what do you advice, he said engine is 75k and rings 20k, of course I dont have 75k at the moment
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 9:04am On Aug 14, 2012
mecussey: Thanks Ikenna, it may be sky blue like you said, not really sure. Its like the kind of cloud we see in the sky on a very sunny day. One thing is that the oil level goes down frequently. I don't just trust my mechanic in terms of competence, he said if he changes the rings that it could carry me for another 6 months. I am just afraid settings are gonna change should they touch it. I am sure he was the cause after servicing the engine with a very bad oil. Anyways, what do you advice, he said engine is 75k and rings 20k, of course I dont have 75k at the moment

That depends.

If your car is Japanese/Asian, then I would advice that you continue using the engine in that condition until you can afford to replace the engine (tokunbo). Rebuilding it wont even last upto the 6 months the mechanic has told you. Its possible that your engine walls have worn, meaning, you may have to machine/bore it, replace the pistons with bigger size ones and the rings as well. Besides, am yet to see original japanese piston and rings in Nigeria, unless you source them from outside the country.

If your car is Peugeot, I would advice you rebuild, which will serve you more than the tokunbo engine. Why? All peugeot engines (except NT9E & NT9EA) have Piston Liners, also known as Sleeve. Peugeot only have standard Piston and Sleeve in the market. An original set (Piston & Sleeve), will serve you for years, I mean, years not months, before it could show you sign of failure. That I have experienced. I can vouch for it. But rebuilding a Peugeot engine with original parts could cost more than a tokunbo engine (depending on the extent of wear in the engine, like a failed crankshaft). But it will run like NEW, unlike the used engine(tokunbo). You can get original set of Peugeot Piston & Piston Liners from various Peugeot dealerships scattered everywhere, not from the spare parts market, unless you have a seller that is honest to you.

Ikenna.
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by scotcom: 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
[/color]
Ikenna351:

That depends.

If your car is Japanese/Asian, then I would advice that you continue using the engine in that condition until you can afford to replace the engine (tokunbo). Rebuilding it wont even last upto the 6 months the mechanic has told you. Its possible that your engine walls have worn, meaning, you may have to machine/bore it, replace the pistons with bigger size ones and the rings as well. Besides, am yet to see original japanese piston and rings in Nigeria, unless you source them from outside the country.

If your car is Peugeot, I would advice you rebuild, which will serve you more than the tokunbo engine. Why? All peugeot engines (except NT9E & NT9EA) have Piston Liners, also known as Sleeve. Peugeot only have standard Piston and Sleeve in the market. An original set (Piston & Sleeve), will serve you for years, I mean, years not months, before it could show you sign of failure. That I have experienced. I can vouch for it. But rebuilding a Peugeot engine with original parts could cost more than a tokunbo engine (depending on the extent of wear in the engine, like a failed crankshaft). But it will run like NEW, unlike the used engine(tokunbo). You can get original set of Peugeot Piston & Piston Liners from various Peugeot dealerships scattered everywhere, not from the spare parts market, unless you have a seller that is honest to you.

Ikenna.
[color=#006600]
Ikenna351:

That depends.

Ikenna.
Ikenna351:

That depends.

Ikenna.
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by mecussey(m): 9:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
Thank you very much Ikenna, I will go with your advise, my car is a Nissan. The mechanic also told me about the uncertainties of Tokumbo engines. He said that there is no way to know the best until you fix it. Is that through?
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by Nobody: 12:42am On Aug 15, 2012
Meanwhile, how does one know for sure that one's rings (as opposed to any other thing) are failing? What are the signs? I need to know, abeg. . .make I know the one wey dey worry me.
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 2:05am On Aug 15, 2012
Your problem could as well be a change of valve seal that's needed.
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by Landflight4eva(m): 4:00am On Aug 15, 2012
what model of vehicle and its year of production?

1 Like

Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by elimokhai(m): 4:32am On Aug 15, 2012
From my experience which you don’t want to hear, because the car finally parked up on the highway (ORE) without any helper, I strongly object to “ringing of engines” not even my generator. NEVER will I ring a car engine, not in Nigeria. Presently my Nissan Altima is having similar problem, ringing is estimated at 20k, while a tokunbo engine is estimated at 60k. I rather buy a tokunbo engine that will take me for another four years. Same thing with the transmission, I was told the pump is faulty, and it will take about 25k for fixing which I am sure will not be perfectly repaired. The transmission is so sensitive, tampering with it could disrupt the whole structure and speed of the car,so i'll rather buy a tokunbo directly from engine 40k. if I go for fixing the engine and transmission pump at 20+25+service charge, the engine capacity goes low which affects the wiring and air-condition system. It will never be the same, in few months you will think of replacing the complete engine. What happened to 45k+service charge? “Penny wise pounds foolish” No mechanic will EVER tell you the impending problems of ringing an engine. if your mechanic tells you "ring engines" will take you for 6months when he actually knows that tokunbo engine will take you for four years, please have him replaced. because you will turn out to be his best customer. you know what that means.
My brother, I will advise that you keep using the car, while you save enough to change the full engine.

3 Likes

Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by mecussey(m): 8:21am On Aug 15, 2012
elimokhai: From my experience which you don’t want to hear, because the car finally parked up on the highway (ORE) without any helper, I strongly object to “ringing of engines” not even my generator. NEVER will I ring a car engine, not in Nigeria. Presently my Nissan Altima is having similar problem, ringing is estimated at 20k, while a tokunbo engine is estimated at 60k. I rather buy a tokunbo engine that will take me for another four years. Same thing with the transmission, I was told the pump is faulty, and it will take about 25k for fixing which I am sure will not be perfectly repaired. The transmission is so sensitive, tampering with it could disrupt the whole structure and speed of the car,so i'll rather buy a tokunbo directly from engine 40k. if I go for fixing the engine and transmission pump at 20+25+service charge, the engine capacity goes low which affects the wiring and air-condition system. It will never be the same, in few months you will think of replacing the complete engine. What happened to 45k+service charge? “Penny wise pounds foolish” No mechanic will EVER tell you the impending problems of ringing an engine. if your mechanic tells you "ring engines" will take you for 6months when he actually knows that tokunbo engine will take you for four years, please have him replaced. because you will turn out to be his best customer. you know what that means.
My brother, I will advise that you keep using the car, while you save enough to change the full engine.
This is exactly what I thought, but how then do you know a good tokunbo engine?
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by WinkWrld: 8:29am On Aug 15, 2012
Do noT repair! Never make thatt mistake, no matter what your mechanics tell you. Just save and get a replacement.
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by alienware(m): 8:34am On Aug 15, 2012
If ur engine rings are failing are u not supposed to check your mechanic ? U come here asking whether u should replace it or not ? U leave it, keep managing it.
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 9:16am On Aug 15, 2012
WinkWrld: Do noT repair! Never make thatt mistake, no matter what your mechanics tell you. Just save and get a replacement.

Engines are meant to be rebuilt, not replaced, hence, OEM & aftermarket.

That you cant source for original engine parts and having a knowlegeable mechanic that can rebuild an engine to factory, doesnt mean engines are not meant to be rebuilt. Engines are rebuild to run like new, unlike the used engines (tokunbo) which you do not know how the original user used it.

What everyone should be asking is the cause of engine failure or blue smoke from the car tail, which comes down to us, as the root cause, in most cases. How do I mean:

1. Run-in period, unless stated in the owners manual that the engine has been broken in before purchase (Ignorance)
2. Lack of interest in keeping our vehicles in good shape (Maintenance culture)
3. Bad driving style (Ignorance)
4. Bad/wrong engine oil
5. Removal and use of engine without the cooling system thermostat
6. Use of water only for the cooling system.
7. Constant spinning of radiator electric cooling fan(s) (Altering the factory connection).
8. Revving of engine at cold start
9. etc.

I wished I have time to explain what I listed above. If you dont know how you contribute in killing your engine, that means you will keep replacing or rebuilding your vehicle engine, over and over again. A vehicle that has been used outside the country for 15 - 20 years, by your fellow human being, as soon as it enters Nigerian shore, the engine dies within 2 - 3 years. Ever bothered to ask your self why.

I will prefer a 10-15 years old car, used in the western world, than buy a used Brand new 3 years old car used in Nigeria. Why? 98 percent of vehicles bought brand new in Nigeria suffer lack of running in period, which reduces life-span of an engine, big time.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by Jonwesley(m): 10:34am On Aug 15, 2012
Ikenna351:

That you cant source for original engine parts and having a knowlegeable mechanic that can rebuild an engine to factory, doesnt mean engines are not meant to be rebuilt. Engines are rebuild to run like new, unlike the used engines (tokunbo) which you do not know how the original user used it.

What everyone should be asking is the cause of engine failure or blue smoke from the car tail, which comes down to us, as the root cause, in most cases. How do I mean:

1. Run-in period, unless stated in the owners manual that the engine has been broken in before purchase (Ignorance)
4. Bad/wrong engine oil
7. Constant spinning of radiator electric cooling fan(s) (Altering the factory connection).
9. etc.

I wished I have time to explain what I listed above. If you dont know how you contribute in killing your engine, that means you will keep replacing or rebuilding your vehicle engine, over and over again. A vehicle that has been used outside the country for 15 - 20 years, by your fellow human being, as soon as it enters Nigerian shore, the engine dies within 2 - 3 years. Ever bothered to ask your self why.

I will prefer a 10-15 years old car, used in the western world, than buy a used Brand new 3 years old car used in Nigeria. Why? 98 percent of vehicles bought brand new in Nigeria suffer lack of running in period, which reduces life-span of an engine, big time.

Ikenna.

Ikenna! Do u know what? I really enjoyed ur write up. I just changed my peugeot 406 old model engine when i noticed on my car some of the signs u earlier mentioned. In my case the smoke was dark, but my engine oil level was never ok then. Just drying all the time. I gambled with the engine replacement since i was not sure of the state of the Tokunbo engine and it appears i ve got a brand tokunbo car.The engine started with all the things it came with, not even a plug was changed, except that new engine oil that was added. But i'm at a loss now as to why my temperature is always increasing beyond 90. When ever it happens like this, it's most likely the water level in the radiator has gone down which i will have to fill up back making it come down to normal temperature. But shortly after some days, the rise in temperature and water loss will happen again. Most annoying is that there is no where that i see water leaking. Pls can u help me with what to do about this? I wld be pleased to get ur tips on dis again. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 10:55am On Aug 15, 2012
Jonwesley:

Ikenna! Do u know what? I really enjoyed ur write up. I just changed my peugeot 406 old model engine when i noticed on my car some of the signs u earlier mentioned. In my case the smoke was dark, but my engine oil level was never ok then. Just drying all the time. I gambled with the engine replacement since i was not sure of the state of the Tokunbo engine and it appears i ve got a brand tokunbo car.The engine started with all the things it came with, not even a plug was changed, except that new engine oil that was added. But i'm at a loss now as to why my temperature is always increasing beyond 90. When ever it happens like this, it's most likely the water level in the radiator has gone down which i will have to fill up back making it come down to normal temperature. But shortly after some days, the rise in temperature and water loss will happen again. Most annoying is that there is no where that i see water leaking. Pls can u help me with what to do about this? I wld be pleased to get ur tips on dis again. Thanks.

Can you repost this in Peugeot thread? I will make out time to treat it there. Am at work now. But others can as well help you here, in this thread.

Ikenna.
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by kasconi: 12:41pm On Aug 15, 2012
@ ikenna
Am really enjoy your contribution as far as dis tread is concern...pls wat do advice me to do?
I bought a honda civic recently,unknown to me dat d said car had once experince over-heating resulting to d knocking of d engine. Currently d engine is givng a very stange sound and it tends to heat-up unnecessarily to d extent dat d colour on some part of my bonet cover are no longer uniform due to d heat emaneting frm d engine. I was told d best tin is for me to change d engine...pls is dere any other way out?
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by ooluwafemi(m): 10:19am On Aug 28, 2014
My 1.2 Toyota corolla engine is dripping oil profusely from plug holes but engine still moves fine except fRom plug clogged with oil. Smoke is white at some throttle. I thought gasket change will solve it but mechanic said opening d engine will reduce engine pressure! Don't understand. Do i ring, change gasket or buy used engine?
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by replica213: 2:45pm On Dec 29, 2015
Ikenna351:

4. Bad/wrong engine oil
9. etc.
Ikenna.
Ikenna351:

4. Bad/wrong engine oil
9. etc.

Ikenna.
scotcom:
[/color][color=#006600]
Ikenna351:

4. Bad/wrong engine oil
9. etc.

Ikenna.

hello ikenna, i joined nairaland solely because i wqnted to contact you. please for heavens sake. i had my engine rings replaced already so ive bit the bullet so to speak. but i just wanna know why the car still overheats. the mech says its cos the engine was just done. i had the fan replaced and the water pump as well. P!ease what to do?
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by egbenya: 9:11am On Feb 26, 2016
ds s serious, I jst bought a direct Belgium 4E Toyota engine in Kaduna for N60k, wit 1week guarantee.bt after fixin d engine, d car did not start, my Mech called d seller that we nid anoda engine as d one we took did not work, d Nxt day wch WS 24/02/16, we returned it n collected anoda one.after fixing d new 1, d timing belt was bad, so d seller gave us a new timing belt, den d engine started working, d engine s amazing, speed, performance n all, bt after driving d car for 2days d car engine s still smoking.we met d engine dealer who said he will giv us original piston rings n top gasket in other to stop d smoking, n my mechanic said since d engine block s still in grade,dt if he rings it, it will b perfect.bt iam scared bcs I jst used my last cash 2buy d engine, it will really affect me psychologically if d engine start giving problem.bt ds msg s MRE like medicine after death bcs d work on ringing d engine has alrdy started.n all my frnds r blaming me for accepting.pls is it possible dt if it is well ringed, it will last me over 2yrs?
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by jidesam168(m): 10:13am On Feb 26, 2016
egbenya:
ds s serious, I jst bought a direct Belgium 4E Toyota engine in Kaduna for N60k, wit 1week guarantee.bt after fixin d engine, d car did not start, my Mech called d seller that we nid anoda engine as d one we took did not work, d Nxt day wch WS 24/02/16, we returned it n collected anoda one.after fixing d new 1, d timing belt was bad, so d seller gave us a new timing belt, den d engine started working, d engine s amazing, speed, performance n all, bt after driving d car for 2days d car engine s still smoking.we met d engine dealer who said he will giv us original piston rings n top gasket in other to stop d smoking, n my mechanic said since d engine block s still in grade,dt if he rings it, it will b perfect.bt iam scared bcs I jst used my last cash 2buy d engine, it will really affect me psychologically if d engine start giving problem.bt ds msg s MRE like medicine after death bcs d work on ringing d engine has alrdy started.n all my frnds r blaming me for accepting.pls is it possible dt if it is well ringed, it will last me over 2yrs?
pls dnt ever accept, am also in kaduna, i intend changing my corolla engine anytime soon. Have done my survey at parntiker and i will go with 3 diff mech at diff time to check d toks engine with an agreement, they sold a bad engine to u, i guess ur mechanic sold u out. Pls lets link up on 08060435205

3 Likes

Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by egbenya: 2:18pm On Feb 26, 2016
k.will hook u up later, iam just depressed ryt Nw, cos if I had knwn earlier I wudnt av agreed wit it.Nw I feel bad.jst 2giv u a heads up, all d engine has good looks n dier outward part will look nice, bt its until after dey finish fixing it b4 u can see d real fault.bcs s truth s dt, an engine must av a fault b4 dey re removed n sent dwn 2nigeria.bt some re minor while others r major fault.so b very careful, cos dey only give 1week guarantee in pantaker
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by Richmanlove: 4:05pm On Sep 25, 2018
I just re ring my golf 3, now the problem am have is that it will steam awhile or while driving it will off. I asked another mechanic he told me that the engine is still hard that it will overcome it in a short time and i should keep driving it. Please what could have cause the often offing of the engine. Help ur bro.
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by TRYGO(m): 8:50pm On Sep 25, 2018
Any body that tells you that your engine can't be rebuilt, is a big lie.

+1 to Ikenna. that's y we have OEM Larts, and all that.

I think the major concerns of people is just that they are scared if such tasks would last, and maybe, availability of genuine parts.

I have built lots of engines, ranging from even Honda pilots, rx330, and some corollas, that are still in service.

In your case, I'd say, it depends on what you decide.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)
Lagos, Nigeria
www.dxta.net.ng
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by simontc: 8:30pm On Feb 24, 2022
Ikenna351:

Ikenna

Same with me ikenna,mine is white smoke and its drinking oil like mad.my car is 2006/Toyota corolla with 1zz engine.pls I need your help
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by adubam(m): 5:38pm On Feb 28, 2022
simontc:

Same with me ikenna,mine is white smoke and its drinking oil like mad.my car is 2006/Toyota corolla with 1zz engine.pls I need your help

Buy Skeleton engine (Foreign Used)
Re: My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? by POSH007: 4:54am On May 07, 2022
The information here has really been useful, please I need help... Because I can be very skeptical when it comes to mechanic as I really do study about cars too on my own.
So I have a RX330 and upon raising the engine it brings out smoke whitish blueish somehow. But then my engine doesn't burn oil at all and the water level is perfect, many people said the engine is perfect after driving that is just from the bad oil they have been using for it and since I bought the recommended oil, that is why the change. Please what can be the cause and I want to fix some things soon on the car like the wheel sensor. I am in ikorodu so please if you have a genuine mechanic I won't mind, thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bugatti Chiron Is The Most Searched Supercar In Nigeria,see The World's Top 10 / When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? / Volvo XC40 Named European Car Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.