Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo (7987 Views)

'NUC Declares Aisha Buhari’s Certificate Fraudulent' - Nigeriantimes.ng / I Never Thought APC Would Last This Long – Okupe / Doyin Okupe Blasts Buhari Again On Twitter – Nigerians Fires Back – Read Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Demdem(m): 9:45pm On Aug 21, 2012
New presidential attack dog, Dr. Doyin Okupe, road construction contracts from the governments of Benue and Imo States and got substantial payments, his lawyers have admitted.

On his behalf, the Lagos law firm of Yemi Gbonegun and Co said today that the rural road construction contracts were awarded in 2004 and 2005 to companies in which Dr. Okupe has substantial interests and served as Chairman, but denied they were awarded to him personally.

And beyond the mobilization payments, those companies received other payments over a period exceeding two years continuously for work done, the statement said.

“We also confirm that contrary to reports in the media, on no account did any of the companies bolt away with any money and if they had, the state governments would have legally had recourse to the Bank Guarantees issued, held the banks accountable and recovered their monies,” the statement said.

It said disputes about certificates of payments arose in both transactions, claiming that this is normal between a contractor and its employers, and that the issues were at different times thoroughly investigated by the EFCC, but that no fraud or any criminality was ever found against any of the Companies.

“In the case of Imo State Government a settlement agreement out of court was reached while in Benue State both parties agreed to go in for arbitration in accordance with the provisions of the signed contract document,” it further said.

Today’s statement by Yemi Gbonegun and Co. raised more questions than it answered. It did not explain why, as previously reported by SaharaReporters, Dr. Okupe was personally detained by the EFCC for an entire month in 2006.

In 2005, during the tenure of Governor Achike Udenwa, Okupe went to Imo state with a business partner, the Israeli businessman Ilan Salman. Okupe got a contract to import Romix Soilfix, a soil stabilizing substance, from South Africa for the construction of four kilometres of road in each of the 27 local government areas at the rate of N14 million per km.

That amounted to N1.512 billion. Okupe was paid mobilization fee of N400 million twice (totaling N800m). He was then paid another N350 million for the little work done, with just about 8km out of the 108km Romix promised to construct.

This means that Okupe was paid over N1.2billion, with very little to show for it. He carried out his lack of work in the State in collaboration with the former Speaker of the Imo State Assembly, Chief Godfrey Dikeocha.

As investigations into the daylight hoax heated up, Okupe’s engineers were arrested in Owerri alongside the LGA chairmen and moved to Ikoyi, Lagos.

In addition, Okupe’s head office, which was at that time on Isale Eko Street in Dolphin Estate, was sealed up and Chief Okupe locked up for one month by the EFCC, but he was never tried.

The situation in Benue State was similar. Through Messrs Value Trust Investments Ltd., Okupe secured a contract valued at N2.303 billion, again for the construction of rural roads across the state. By July 17, 2006, he had been paid N886.8m.

The man who would later be invited by President Goodluck Jonathan to serve as his leading voice on Public Affairs then disappeared. That case, as was the situation in Imo State, was brought to the EFCC.

With today’s statement by his lawyers, Okupe confirms the two contracts that have come to light but not their details, including why the contracts were never completed, or what was done with the vast sums he collected using his top-level access in the People’s Democratic Party.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/okupe-lawyers-admit-he-did-fraudulent-contracts-imo-and-benue

1 Like

Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by sheyguy: 10:06pm On Aug 21, 2012
Oh boy, this Topic title of yours na die oh . . . Whichever way, i am glad the guy is opening up as nobody is above mistake but failing to admit one and moving on is a greater mistake in itself. Atleast let some of his anywhere-belle-face followers should come to understand that the do or die attitude does not have to go down to followership level always.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Nobody: 10:12pm On Aug 21, 2012
Corruption has really come to stay in Nigeria! After everything he still became the presidential spokesman! I don't think the president is ready to fight corruption I must confess.appointing crooks and recycled thieves in his government.sorry for u GEJ!
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Demdem(m): 10:17pm On Aug 21, 2012
sheyguy: Oh boy, this Topic title of yours na die oh . . . Whichever way, i am glad the guy is opening up as nobody is above mistake but failing to admit one and moving on is a greater mistake in itself. Atleast let some of his anywhere-belle-face followers should come to understand that the do or die attitude does not have to trickle down always.

It's not an easy task to admit one's criminous past as stated by Okupe. This is worthy of emulation.
The retardeen attack dog a crook shocked shocked wonderful.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Rhino5dm: 10:18pm On Aug 21, 2012
Thus, why would anyone appoints a crook to be his image maker? in a sane climes this crook should have been cooling off in a maximum prison.

Jonathan is the most corrupt and shameless president of all time. The hunter is now hunted. Attack dog my foot.

1 Like

Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by lacasa: 1:16am On Aug 22, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
Thus, why would anyone appoints a crook to be his image maker? in a sane climes this crook should have been cooling off in a maximum prison.

Jonathan is the most corrupt and shameless president of all time. The hunter is now hunted. Attack dog my foot.

Gbam!
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Biggyd2: 8:09am On Aug 22, 2012
Our government of "due process"! So there was no due diligence conducted on this fellow before he was given the job of an attack dog? Or were exemptions made because it was DO? This is part of the reason why it is difficult to believe this government!
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Gbawe: 8:40am On Aug 22, 2012
Rhino.5dm:

Indeed. Highly incompetent and clueless to boot. Our worst Olympic outing in modern history is just the beginning. Even as we have seen a lot already, we will all witness many more grave outcomes directly highlighting the corrupt and inept leadership of this opportunist and his gang of brazen crooks.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:45am On Aug 22, 2012
Gbawe:

Indeed. Highly incompetent and clueless to boot. Our worst Olympic outing in modern history is just the beginning. Even as we have seen a lot already, we will all witness many more grave outcomes directly highlighting the corrupt and inept leadership of this opportunist and his gang of brazen crooks.

This is getting really tiring, i fear i may not see an incorruptible Nigeria earlier than I will see a disintegrated war-zone Nigeria. we all know exactly what is wrong with this nation and it is not as if these leaders are half as intelligent as illiterate local council chairmen - yet we seem to be in their perpetual grasp. unable to make positive change over 5 decades angry
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by ifihearam: 8:47am On Aug 22, 2012
Okupe was arrested by EFCC,detained for a month or so and let go I 2005:how does that cocern the presidentnow that his past deeds has come to light and he admitted what else do you people want the president to do?

Was the president the governor that awarded him the contractswhy didn't the government of the da see to it that justice was servedwhy are you shallow minded people bringing the president into this because he appointed him the office of SSA??is there any soul I Nigeria politics today with a clea slate?

It is left for him to either resign or deal with it but its a good start for him to admit.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by superior1: 8:58am On Aug 22, 2012
ifihearam: Okupe was arrested by EFCC,detained for a month or so and let go I 2005:how does that cocern the president[/b]now that his past deeds has come to light and he admitted what else do you people want the president to do?

[b]Was the president the governor that awarded him the contracts[/b]why didn't the government of the da see to it that justice was servedwhy are [b]you shallow minded people bringing the president
into this because he appointed him the office of SSA??is there any soul I Nigeria politics today with a clea slate?

It is left for him to either resign or deal with it but its a good start for him to admit.

Because the president is silly and desperate enough to appoint such a questionable character as a spokesman knowing his background and antecedent
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Demdem(m): 9:01am On Aug 22, 2012
ifihearam: Okupe was arrested by EFCC,detained for a month or so and let go I 2005:how does that cocern the presidentnow that his past deeds has come to light and he admitted what else do you people want the president to do?

Mr HONORARIUM grin grin, yes he was detained but along the line was released for reasons best known to the authorities. He admitted that he did collect money for a job that he didnt do and didnt even return the money afterwards. does this suggest to u that EFCC really did a good work?

Was the president the governor that awarded him the contractswhy didn't the government of the da see to it that justice was servedwhy are you shallow minded people bringing the president into this because he appointed him the office of SSA??is there any soul I Nigeria politics today with a clea slate?

One would have expected the Retardeen to have done due diligence in making sure anyone that comes on-board his team is clean but this to me obviously wasnt done. We have a self-confessed thief on the prowl in Aso-Rock and i expect the Retardeen to boot him out, ask the EFCC to investigate and collect all funds that he ought to have returned.

he will definitely not resign because he isnt the only thief in the administration. Thieves like the aviation minister and madueke are still there while we have murderers and killers that are non-portfolios advisers (Tompolo, boyloaf etc) who still walk about in Aso-Rock free. So Okupe wont resign. he is obviously dealing with it by accepting the Thief tag associated to him. Its typical.

1 Like

Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Demdem(m): 9:22am On Aug 22, 2012
The Retardeen's attack dog is a criminal after all cry cry cry.

3 Likes

Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Gbawe: 9:47am On Aug 22, 2012
Demdem: The Retardeen's attack dog is a criminal after all cry cry cry.

Is that really such a surprise given what we have seen and all that we now know about GEJ ? Did virtually all the crooks, ruinous hands and AGIPs ("any government in power" ) not 'unite' harmoniously to 'endorse' and fund GEJ's ambition in 2011?

That was the only clue savvy Nigerians needed to note that this is a man who will empower criminals and shady characters everywhere given how Nigeria traditionally works. I.e if a government is backed mainly by criminals and the same hopeless characters that have gotten us where we are, then Nigerians should expect "more of the same".

All the crooks and the hideously corrupt flocked to GEJ because they know he is a 'kindred spirit'. Now they are all in charge through their 'tool'.

1 Like

Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 22, 2012
I wonder if this will in any way affect his standing with his boss. A government of crooks.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Rhino5dm: 9:57am On Aug 22, 2012
It's really baffling to see how Jonathan keeps on bungling every little opportunity for him to set the records straight.

Every other person around the president is either a crook or a criminal. from Diezani to Stella, Patient Jonathan to Femi Otedolla. Do you still wonder why Jonathan brazenly defied the court of conduct and bureau by refusing to declare his assets openly? went ahead to shamelessly admit breaching the constitutions on national media chat with his famous "I don't give a damn" ?

If he is not corrupt, then he has no business swimming among crooks comfortably celebrating his famous " I don't give a damn" quote.

No one was able to answer me among these 40 laptop fools on why the president seems to be happy around crooks. Afteral they are paid to attack anyone with contrary views on the president.

Gbawe:

1 Like

Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 22, 2012
From this report, it's very clear being a stakeholder in a company does not cumulate of being the owner. Okupe is far far better than all you haters. He's come not only to destroy but also to finish all you haters. God bless him.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Inik(m): 9:58am On Aug 22, 2012
At least he should have the decency to resign angry
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Arnold1(m): 10:00am On Aug 22, 2012
If this story is true, then the president's team should have done some due diligence before
considering him for his present position.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Demdem(m): 10:02am On Aug 22, 2012
Gbawe:

Is that really such a surprise given what we have seen and all that we now know about GEJ ? Did virtually all the crooks, ruinous hands and AGIPs ("any government in power" ) not 'unite' harmoniously to 'endorse' and fund GEJ's ambition in 2011?

That was the only clue savvy Nigerians needed to note that this is a man who will empower criminals and shady characters everywhere given how Nigeria traditionally works. I.e if a government is backed mainly by criminals and the same hopeless characters that have gotten us where we are, then Nigerians should expect "more of the same".

All the crooks and the hideously corrupt flocked to GEJ because they know he is a 'kindred spirit'. Now they are all in charge through their 'tool'.

Actually, am not surprised, when a president of a nation is seen hanging out with criminals and murderers, what do we expect?

1 Like

Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 22, 2012
Demdem: The Retardeen's attack dog is a criminal after all cry cry cry.
LMAO at the dog! grin
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by superior1: 10:03am On Aug 22, 2012
Inik: At least he should have the decency to resign angry

Decency, ni ilu yi. dat one na alibaba talk

God's Mercy:
From this report, it's very clear being a stakeholder in a company does not cumulate of being the owner. Okupe is far far better than all you haters. He's come not only to destroy but also to finish all you haters. God bless him.

Demon's Mercy, e be like say fever dey catch you
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by alaoeri: 10:03am On Aug 22, 2012
ifihearam: Okupe was arrested by EFCC,detained for a month or so and let go I 2005:how does that cocern the presidentnow that his past deeds has come to light and he admitted what else do you people want the president to do?

You are one of the people criticising gbajabiamila for the crime he committed in US even calling for his resignation not until gbaja clears the air, now u are here defending the president attack dog who is obviously a crook. Why didn't GEJ appoint some1 without blemish instead of ppl that 'll bring stain τ̲̅ȍ his administration. The bone of contention here is GEJ should do α̅way with crooks & thieves ppl like Okupe and appoint upright ppl.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by ifihearam: 10:05am On Aug 22, 2012
superior1:

Because the president is silly and desperate enough to appoint such a questionable character as a spokesman knowing his background and antecedent

So its now the job of the president to carry out investigations,why does he have a chief of staff
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Demdem(m): 10:07am On Aug 22, 2012
God's Mercy:

I honestly dont know what u read but did u read this part at all? If u did, did u apply ur brain to decipher what it meant?

On his behalf, the Lagos law firm of Yemi Gbonegun and Co said today that the rural road construction contracts were awarded in 2004 and 2005 to companies in which Dr. Okupe has substantial interests and served as Chairman, but denied they were awarded to him personally.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Demdem(m): 10:09am On Aug 22, 2012
Arnold1:

If this story is true, then the president's team should have done some due diligence before
considering him for his present position.

What do u mean? Can the culprit lie against himself that he stole. Its ffucking true. The Retardeen's team goof big time.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by yomz1e(m): 10:11am On Aug 22, 2012
All we do is comment and then move on to the next story to comment, while your president is spending N1 million naira on breakfast... Like anyone of us is ready to die for a better Nigeria Please Nairaland devote more energy to worthy issues.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Demdem(m): 10:12am On Aug 22, 2012
ifihearam:

So its now the job of the president to carry out investigations,why does he have a chief of staff

Mr HONORARIUM grin, remember also that the Retardeen also appointed the incompetent chief of staff
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 22, 2012
God's Mercy:
can you please STFU if you got nothing to say! Where in the report was it said that he was a stakeholder? Who collected the money for the contracts? You need to read the report carefully before you start posting baseless comments!
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by superior1: 10:17am On Aug 22, 2012
ifihearam:

If.I.hear.Am, now you need to really hear yourself talking. Haba, if the president with all security organs at his disposal will refuse to do background checking before appointing people, then that president is doomed. Little wonder, Jona has Boko Haram in his cabinet. Who does the chief of staff, Military Intelligence, NSA, SSS, EFCC, ICPC etc ultimately report to... It is the exclusive duty of the president to research, appraise,evaluate and investigate all his appointees because ultimately their failure is his'
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by ifihearam: 10:22am On Aug 22, 2012
[quote author=Demdem][/quote]

@demdem
You always derive pleasure In hearing things that brings the presidency into ridicule.
Re: Okupe's Lawyers Admit Fraudulent-Contracts In Benue & Imo by Demdem(m): 10:28am On Aug 22, 2012
ifihearam:

@demdem
You always derive pleasure In hearing things that brings the presidency into ridicule.

i detest anyone that brings stupidity and cluelessness to the sit of power. making the seat a dumb one whereas it isnt. The Retardeen is most likely a wonderful husband, father, zoo-keeper but obviously miserable in the acts of governance right from his bayelsa days. So u see, it isnt personal. I have the interest of my country at heart.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The 7 Nigerian States With The Worst Debt Profile / INEC Goes After Campaign Spending Violators As Fear Grips Politicians / Niger Bridge May Collapse Before Christmas.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.