Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. (3972 Views)

Is There A God? Six Reasons To Believe God Exists - By A Former Atheist. / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Six Reasons To Believe God Exists-by An Ex-atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by cyrexx: 3:42pm On Aug 23, 2012
Delafruita:
thats part of their prayer and over the years i have sorta adapted to it.it even serves as my alarm clock sometimes.however the new trend nowadays is for christians,who obviously cant afford to rent a shop for their "ministry",to buy a megaphone,awake early in the day and go on preaching sprees.

Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 23, 2012
Delafruita: however the new trend nowadays is for christians,who obviously cant afford to rent a shop for their "ministry",to buy a megaphone,awake early in the day and go on preaching sprees.
another interesting topic for another day
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by naija2much: 5:54am On Aug 24, 2012
@delafruita, don't be a fanatic, both the muslims and christians have their excesses. Do they threaten to bomb u if u go and worship your God? Do they-5 times a day make loud noises while praying to their god who probably aint hearing properly? Do they threaten to severe ties of blood with u if you leave their religion? Do they promise to make the country ungovernable(I'm sure this you will defend)? Do they promise to chain the country by a so-called sharia law?do they bomb people without a cause? Do they cover the neighborhoods begging for alms? About christians who can't afford 'shops', I've seen muslims with their mats, under the bridge, in the refuse dumb, in motor parks, I guess they couldn't afford 'shops', so they can fare well in open space, under bridges so long they could wash their...

Like I said all religions have their excesses even atheists, "there is none holy, no not one", so in the long run, its your personal conviction that makes the difference. You comparing 'yahweh' to 'allah' was necessitated by extremism for indeed when well compared yahweh rules!

Concerning my answer, I guess u didn't get it, so read it again.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by Delafruita(m): 8:57am On Aug 24, 2012
naija2much: @delafruita, don't be a fanatic, both the muslims and christians have their excesses. Do they threaten to bomb u if u go and worship your God? Do they-5 times a day make loud noises while praying to their god who probably aint hearing properly? Do they threaten to severe ties of blood with u if you leave their religion? Do they promise to make the country ungovernable(I'm sure this you will defend)? Do they promise to chain the country by a so-called sharia law?do they bomb people without a cause? Do they cover the neighborhoods begging for alms? About christians who can't afford 'shops', I've seen muslims with their mats, under the bridge, in the refuse dumb, in motor parks, I guess they couldn't afford 'shops', so they can fare well in open space, under bridges so long they could wash their...
fanatic?of which religion?i have always said that religion is the problem with nigeria.christianity and islam are both the same.some fanatics of islam now threaten violence but lets not forget that back in the day,violent executions of "heretics" were sanctioned by the church and even carried out by church officials.that isnt to say violence is right but christians conveniently forget their own violent history and try to make demons out of the morafokas who are doing what they once used to do.
when you say make the country ungovernable,what exactly do you mean?what does that even have to do with religion?politics and religion are different things.i have always maintained that bokoharam is a political problem with a political solution.unfortunately we have a president who lacks the willpower to do what needs to be done.its the same as the palestine-isreal crisis.it isnt about yahweh vs allah.its about the palestines wanting their own nation and isreal preventing it.religion does get to play its part but it isnt the core of the crisis.
muslims pray five times daily for a maximum of 10mins each time.a church beside my house holds services of almost 3hours everyday.muslims can pray anywhere just like christians can pray anywhere.

[quote author=]Like I said all religions have their excesses even atheists, "there is none holy, no not one", so in the long run, its your personal conviction that makes the difference. You comparing 'yahweh' to 'allah' was necessitated by extremism for indeed when well compared yahweh rules!

Concerning my answer, I guess u didn't get it, so read it again.[/quote]
atheism isnt a religion and i wasnt comparing yahweh to allah because they are one and the same.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by naija2much: 6:36am On Aug 28, 2012
@delafruita, you're entitled to ur opinions and so am i, for me, Allah and Yahweh aint the same, for were they d same, there're would have been some sort of religious agreement since they worship one god and this is subject to explanations. Concerning the church subscribing to violence in time past, let's just say they've grown, they've progressed and believe its not right and maybe the muslims 'retrogressed'! I still believe atheism is a religion, for when it started, it was just based on science coupled with convictions but now, its a sect and they have their doctrines, they even preach and 'win souls'. Israeli-palestinain issue is strictly religious, were it political, it would have been long resolved. Don't be a biased judge. The Palestinians want to exist and Israel is preventing that, agreed, but do u remember how israel came to existence? Do u remember the 2day war (or is it 5days) the arabian neighbours who fought, did they do that coz of politics?

In Nigeria politics is not our major problem, our first problem is religion, followed by ethnicity, then corruption/morality before politics and that's my opinion.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by EvilBrain1(m): 2:03pm On Aug 28, 2012
Mr_Anony: THE QUESTION: Assuming you came to find out that God exists and you found it to true beyond every reasonable doubt such that it is common knowledge amongst everyone, will you submit to God's rule?

Please answer honestly.

ANSWER: IT depends. The reason I don't believe in God is that based on the best available evidence, he is very unlikely to exist.

If it we could prove his existence, or even show that it was somewhat likely, what I would do would depend on what type of god he turned out to be.

If god was shown to be a benevolent deity, or one that leaves mankind to their own devises, I'd be more than happy to serve/worship him/her/it.

If on the other hand he turns out to be either the Christian or Muslim version, then no way. The god of the bible (and of the Koran) is a mass murdering psychopath. There is no way in hell I'm bowing down to someone who so casually orders genocide, the massacre and rĂ pe of women and children, and has even tried to wipe us out in the past.

At worst, I'd pretend to worship while secretly working for the resistance and searching for a way to bring him/her/it down.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by wiegraf: 9:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
Bump
@anony, come and finish this
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by sbm4real(m): 3:54pm On Sep 01, 2012
Only a fool will say in his heart that there is no God.
The air we breathe just seems to have the right composition of gases or whatever makes it up...how did that come about?

Your arteries, veins and general body system just seems to be perfectly connected..how did that come about? Science? Or what explanation do you guys have for that?

The sun shines in the day and the moon by night..who set that in place? Science or humans?

Our very existence..the feelings of hatred, love, jealousy..etc, science put all that in man?

There is a God in heaven and He rules in the affairs of man...

1 Like

Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by MacDaddy01: 4:18pm On Sep 01, 2012
sbm4real: Only a fool will say in his heart that there is no God.
The air we breathe just seems to have the right composition of gases or whatever makes it up...how did that come about?

Your arteries, veins and general body system just seems to be perfectly connected..how did that come about? Science? Or what explanation do you guys have for that?

The sun shines in the day and the moon by night..who set that in place? Science or humans?

Our very existence..the feelings of hatred, love, jealousy..etc, science put all that in man?

There is a God in heaven and He rules in the affairs of man...

Ignorance is a disease.

Please read;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_evolution
http://astroversity..co.uk/2007/06/explained-big-bang-universe.html
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by UyiIredia(m): 7:31pm On Sep 01, 2012
plaetton: He he.
If is determined that god really exists. Then good, no problems.
As for me, common sense would tell me that where one exists,there must be others as well. Even the bible clearly and unambiguously states as such.
So it becomes a matter of which of the gods rule.

Reading the bible, I can clearly see that these so-called gods make very terrible rulers.
We humans have come a long way in running our own affairs and although we have made terrible mistakes along the way, we have made great progress.

Today We now espouse and enforced moral and ethical codes that promote fundamental human rights and dignity, far far above the moral thresholds of gods,mythical or real, of bygone eras.
It would be tragically stupid and a regression to surrender our hard won sovereignty to any god at this point in our evolution.

Infact, I think God or the gods, would probably be pleased at how much we have matured and would not display the kind of despotic tendencies that religious people have been made to expect from him/them.

So to answer the question, the answer is absolutely not.

In case one does not understand atheism, atheists are people who have achieved mental sovereignty.
I dont know any atheists that are willing and ready to surrender the power and freedom to think and question.
Democracy is here to stay.

@ bolded I beg to differ. Atheists are normal people and can't have been said to achieve mental sovereignty anywhere or anyhow. In fact they display crass ignorance in being blind to the evidence for God's existence - the universe.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by MrAnony1(m): 7:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
wiegraf: Bump
@anony, come and finish this
Lol, IT IS FINISHED.

It was just a poll I started so as to get some views. I never intended to have long debates on it.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by MacDaddy01: 8:52pm On Sep 01, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

@ bolded I beg to differ. Atheists are normal people and can't have been said to achieve mental sovereignty anywhere or anyhow. In fact they display crass ignorance in being blind to the evidence for God's existence - the universe.

The universe is proof of God? Wow, you keep showing your ignorance.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by sbm4real(m): 6:36am On Sep 02, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Ignorance is a disease.

Please read;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_evolution
http://astroversity..co.uk/2007/06/explained-big-bang-universe.html
Macdaddy, forgive my ignorance..I couldn't open the second link but the first link doesn't make much sense to me in terms of confirming whether God exists or not.
I tried to read up some stuff on big bang theory and this is an excerpt of what I got:

"According to the standard theory, our universe sprang into existence as "singularity" around 13.7 billion years ago. What is a "singularity" and where does it come from? Well, to be honest, we don't know for sure. Singularities are zones which defy our current understanding of physics. They are thought to exist at the core of "black holes." Black holes are areas of intense gravitational pressure. The pressure is thought to be so intense that finite matter is actually squished into infinite density (a mathematical concept which truly boggles the mind). These zones of infinite density are called "singularities." Our universe is thought to have begun as an infinitesimally small, infinitely hot, infinitely dense, something - a singularity. Where did it come from? We don't know. Why did it appear? We don't know." It appears the scientists don't know certain things too...or maybe I'm not checking the right information.

The knowledge of good or evil..I mean conscience that you have done right or wrong can be explained scientifically? If there's no God or supernatural being/force beyond humans, how do people get healed of diseases and physical sicknesses without medical intervention and what about near death experiences?has science been able to explain this too? Most religions believe in prophecy and seeing into the future and people have come forward with the knowledge of the future that came up as true...if there is no God or a spiritual realm beyond us, how can that possibly happen? I'm thinking hard...

Like I said, forgive my ignorance, I just may not have enough information as you do. So, pls answer the question on conscience and give me more information on these things.

Appreciate we have a constructive discussion on these points as against shying away through name callings..we may all be able to learn and challenge our foundational beliefs through them.

My regards.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by dekung(m): 8:41am On Sep 02, 2012
@Mr_Anony,
My own answer is no. I will not subject myself to that deity even if proven that it exists the same way I did not subject myself to the worship of Ogun, Sango, Oya, Osun, Amadioha....etc when I was a christian despite thinking the aabove named Yoruba deities were powerful.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by dekung(m): 8:54am On Sep 02, 2012
@sbm4real,
Conscience and the concept of right or wrong has nothing to do with the existence of god, absolutely nothing. Rather they are functions of your cultural upbring as well as the environment in which you were raised. In some cultures if women go arround bare chested or have more than one husband it is a taboo however such things are normal everyday occurence in others. If you were a muslim and you mistakenly ate pork you would feel you have committed a sacriledge but if you were a christian you wont even think twice. In some cultures a married woman can elope with another man if she isnt happy with her current husband whereas it strictly forbiden in others. You conscience will only prick because of preconcievd ideas of what is right and what is not and whenever you cross the line you feel bad that you have done something wrong.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by sbm4real(m): 1:22pm On Sep 02, 2012
dekung: @sbm4real,
Conscience and the concept of right or wrong has nothing to do with the existence of god, absolutely nothing. Rather they are functions of your cultural upbring as well as the environment in which you were raised. In some cultures if women go arround bare chested or have more than one husband it is a taboo however such things are normal everyday occurence in others. If you were a muslim and you mistakenly ate pork you would feel you have committed a sacriledge but if you were a christian you wont even think twice. In some cultures a married woman can elope with another man if she isnt happy with her current husband whereas it strictly forbiden in others. You conscience will only prick because of preconcievd ideas of what is right and what is not and whenever you cross the line you feel bad that you have done something wrong.

Thanks for your post but you have only answered one part of my question..there are other parts to it...in response to your submission on conscience and culture, why do babies pretend,lie and come up with different vices at such tender ages? Is that part of culture too? Aren't they too young to learn our preconceived ideas? I think there's a nature in man that knows between good and evil right from birth..

What about the perfection of the body system? DNA contains detailed coded information just like a computer program..that's d work of some man or evolution? The source of life in its self..the distance between the sun and the earth is perfect, if more or less, its catastrophic..is that science too?

Once again you need to forgive my ignorance but I don't see any reason yet why I should believe there's no God that set things in order...

If you or Macdaddy can answer all my questions and point to me that there is no God, I will appreciate

My regards..

1 Like

Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by wiegraf: 2:07pm On Sep 02, 2012
sbm4real:

Thanks for your post but you have only answered one part of my question..there are other parts to it...in response to your submission on conscience and culture, why do babies pretend,lie and come up with different vices at such tender ages? Is that part of culture too? Aren't they too young to learn our preconceived ideas? I think there's a nature in man that knows between good and evil right from birth..

What about the perfection of the body system? DNA contains detailed coded information just like a computer program..that's d work of some man or evolution? The source of life in its self..the distance between the sun and the earth is perfect, if more or less, its catastrophic..is that science too?

Once again you need to forgive my ignorance but I don't see any reason yet why I should believe there's no God that set things in order...

If you or Macdaddy can answer all my questions and point to me that there is no God, I will appreciate

My regards..

There are hundreds of billions of stars in this galaxy, there are hundreds of billions of galaxies in this universe. The distance of the planets orbiting these stars is determined by various factors, most notably gravity. Considering these numbers there are likely to be planets in goldilocks zones, no?

What you are displaying is what I believe is called the anthrophormorphic principle. Which is a bit like wonder, and marvel at the universe's workings and how they seem to be perfectly fit for you, life etc. The truth is the reverse actually, you were tailored to meet the universe's demands via natural selection and random gene mutations. If a dog became conscious today, he'd marvel at just how perfect his tail was, just the right length for him to chase around in a circle. Or just how great his jaws are, the right grip to suck that sweet succulent bone. He would have to take some time to reflect before he realizes that his jaw was adapted to fit his environment, not the other way round, and he really doesn't need to chase his tail (except well, it's fun).

Read this if you're free, it's relevant. Bear in mind it's speculation but it deals with seemingly perfect numbers
www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/05/20/brian-greene-welcome-to-the-multiverse.html

Simple to complex occurs everywhere in nature, like weather for instance. If only complex could create complex then you end up regressing to the point where you ask what complexity designed the designer? If you assume he was complex from the get go, then why couldn't nature be complex from the get go as well? Google fractals and the game of life to see some fairly interesting examples of simple to complex.

And I personally am not interested converting you, all I ask from people is that they don't use religion as an excuse to be d1cks, it's highly annoying. Especially when it actually doesn't have the answers despite what some of its adherents believe. 'Faith' based religions especially.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by wiegraf: 2:07pm On Sep 02, 2012
Double post
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by UyiIredia(m): 6:47pm On Sep 02, 2012
MacDaddy01:

The universe is proof of God? Wow, you keep showing your ignorance.

The only ignoramus here is you. So how can something come from nothing ? How ?
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by MacDaddy01: 7:02pm On Sep 02, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

define "nothing"
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 02, 2012
MacDaddy01:

define "nothing"

lolololollllzzzz.....typical Logicboy. Define "nothing" indeed. Lol
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by MacDaddy01: 8:13pm On Sep 02, 2012
Ihedinobi:

lolololollllzzzz.....typical Logicboy. Define "nothing" indeed. Lol

cool
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by dekung(m): 8:51pm On Sep 02, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

If something cannot come from nothing then what did God come from? Nothing or He just existed all by himself? If you can believe that God existed by himself out of nothing then why is it hard to believe the Universe probably existed by itself
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by thehomer: 10:19pm On Sep 02, 2012
Mr_Anony: I'm just taking a poll: All you have to do is answer yes or no. You don't have to explain your answer.

THE QUESTION: Assuming you came to find out that God exists and you found it to true beyond every reasonable doubt such that it is common knowledge amongst everyone, will you submit to God's rule?

Please answer honestly.

That will depend on what I know about this God. Is it good, evil or indifferent?
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by joe4christ(m): 8:05am On Sep 03, 2012
plaetton: He he.
If is determined that god really exists. Then good, no problems.
As for me, [size=15pt]common sense would tell me that where one exists,there must be others as well.[/size] Even the bible clearly and unambiguously states as such.
So it becomes a matter of which of the gods rule.

Reading the bible, I can clearly see that these so-called gods make very terrible rulers.
We humans have come a long way in running our own affairs and although we have made terrible mistakes along the way, we have made great progress.

Today We now espouse and enforced moral and ethical codes that promote fundamental human rights and dignity, far far above the moral thresholds of gods,mythical or real, of bygone eras.
It would be tragically stupid and a regression to surrender our hard won sovereignty to any god at this point in our evolution.

Infact, I think God or the gods, would probably be pleased at how much we have matured and would not display the kind of despotic tendencies that religious people have been made to expect from him/them.

So to answer the question, the answer is absolutely not.

In case one does not understand atheism, atheists are people who have achieved mental sovereignty.
I dont know any atheists that are willing and ready to surrender the power and freedom to think and question.
Democracy is here to stay.

[size=15pt] And how on earth are u to compare THE KING OF KINGS AND THE LORD OF LORD to mere kings and lords? Are u demented [/size]
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by UyiIredia(m): 8:43pm On Sep 03, 2012
dekung:
If something cannot come from nothing then what did God come from? Nothing or He just existed all by himself? If you can believe that God existed by himself out of nothing then why is it hard to believe the Universe probably existed by itself

God is believed to be eternal and uncaused. But if your talking about our PHYSICAL universe - which is bound by the laws of time and is known to have a beginning - you should be asking yourself how it came to be just like that out of nothing. Poof ! and you have the universe right.
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by turnstoner(m): 10:22pm On Sep 03, 2012
A god that is as powerful and wise as you say would have nothing to do with your submission. You will be at his mercy.He won't need any prophets, messengers or clerics. Try something else, chum! grin
Re: Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. by Nobody: 11:37pm On Dec 13, 2013
Legendary dude.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Haile Selassie I Is Jesus Christ Of Nazareth... / Tb Joshua Worker Trying To Put A Worm In Woman Private PICS VIDEO / Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.