Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,090 members, 7,821,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? (3976 Views)

Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) / Are Christians in Conflict or Does the Bible Contradict Itself? / Who Really Rules The World, Jehovah God or Satan?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by rampagain: 1:06pm On Sep 23, 2008
which way?im actually very confused,and its been bothering my mind

smone said we serve God and thats why he brings to past whatever he's promised ,when we serve him in truth and in spirit

another person said God serves us too , using matthew 7:7,and numbers 14:28  to defend his own points

numbers 14:28 So tell them, 'As surely as I live, declares the LORD, I will do to you the very things I heard you say

Matthew 7:7  "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

it was like an argument yesterday at work,a colleague of mine said we serve God and God serves us in return

please what is your take on this?

Do u think we serve God? or does God serve us?

comments please
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 23, 2008
@ poster,
what do we think we men call ourselves, that we think the creator should chase us in believing in him. GOD needs no man, it is man that needs his GOD.
If every man dont believe in the existence of the godhead, that will never change the position of the creator.
But if man should keep his laws and obey them, the laws will also work in his favour.
So first thing is, seek first the kingdom of GOD i.e by keeping its commandments and doing his will, then every other thing worthy to you will given to you.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Backslider(m): 2:11pm On Sep 23, 2008
we serve God

1) by Law (Fear)
2) By Love

God Serves by

1) By Love
2) By the Binding of His word

This is what makes us simmilar to God

God has free will to do anything but it must be in the context of his will

We as humans have free will also but ours must come under the command of God. We simetimes choose wrongly and we shall suffer the penalty in Hell.

For every privilledge there is a responsibility.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 23, 2008
@ BACKSLIDER,
dont ever compare mankind to the creator, check your surrounding/environment, is there anything godlike in the world now. And dont forget in the lord's player, its being said thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Ask yourslef, is that will being done on earth now?
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Backslider(m): 2:29pm On Sep 23, 2008
@ Enitan

Let us make man in our own Image saith the word of God in Genesis
If you dont understand that He calls us Friends no more but sons

Why?
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 23, 2008
It is said, lets us create man in our own image, i quite agree with that, and odnt forget the image can never be like the person in question, just as the artiste speaks to the world through his art works, but the works and the artiste are of different nature and can never be the same.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Sep 23, 2008
We serve God, God BLESSES us.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Gamine(f): 4:08pm On Sep 23, 2008
Once again Grammar gets in the way.

Service is not about grovelling at the feet of someone.

And i will go with wat Backslider said.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by rampagain: 7:08pm On Sep 23, 2008
enitan2002:

@ poster,
what do we think we men call ourselves, that we think the creator should chase us in believing in him. GOD needs no man, it is man that needs his GOD.
If every man don't believe in the existence of the godhead, that will never change the position of the creator.
But if man should keep his laws and obey them, the laws will also work in his favour.
So first thing is, seek first the kingdom of GOD i.e by keeping its commandments and doing his will, then every other thing worthy to you will given to you.

sorry enitan but i think u is going off topic here,cos i cant understand u

@baxi
i think u is right,cos while we serve God by praising ,worshipping and praying to him,he also serves us too by fulfilling his words concerning us and making them all to come to past

dis is one difficult question ,i really cant answer directly
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by pilgrim1(f): 8:10am On Sep 24, 2008
rampagain:

this is one difficult question ,i really can't answer directly

Benevolence and service are not the same. While God blesses us, we are called to serve Him.

To conflate words and make them the same doesn't necessarily mean they portray the same idea. It is as much as to ask: do we pray to God, or does God pray to us? Someone might think up a clever way of making them the same, but we know they are not.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Backslider(m): 9:27am On Sep 24, 2008
@pilgrim1

God Pray's to us also. Jesus prayed to the father. Prayer is communication. God does not do anything out of his word. God has given us his word. The bible says "Isaiah 45:11
Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me."

The Holiness of God has all the fruit of the Spirit that is why Heaven is Heaven and Hell is Hell. No wonder the song writer says take all and give me Jesus. God's righteousness is so pure that it can burn evil to none existence. God's Humility can make a Child Cry.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by rampagain: 3:10pm On Sep 24, 2008
pilgrim and backslider u both have a point

but d thing get as e be
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by pilgrim1(f): 3:38pm On Sep 24, 2008
rampagain:

but d thing get as e be

@rampagain, I agree with you on that - even though I don't see it the way people interprete those words.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by pilgrim1(f): 3:39pm On Sep 24, 2008
@Backslider,

Isaiah 45:11 does not teach that God prays to anybody. I just wanted to make that point clear so that people don't assume your own interpretation is the Christian or Biblical one. Shalom.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 24, 2008
God does not serve us.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by rampagain: 9:13pm On Sep 24, 2008
davidylan:

God does not serve us.

do u think so?

but he said --------------watever i hear you say to my hearing i will do for u

is he not trying to serve us by bringing doing wat we asked him in prayers and thanksgiving?

just a question though
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 24, 2008
rampagain:

do You think so?

but he said --------------watever i hear you say to my hearing i will do for You

is he not trying to serve us by bringing doing what we asked him in prayers and thanksgiving?

just a question though

Your father pays your school fees . . . is he serving you?
Your mother cooks dinner for you every night . . . is she serving you?
No they are only giving you what you deserve by virtue of being their child.

The same way God blesses us by virtue of His mercy towards us. To say God serves us is to connote a wrong idea that we somehow merit His blessings. We dont. It is simply by His grace that we are saved and not of our own works.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by pilgrim1(f): 9:47pm On Sep 24, 2008
rampagain:

do You think so?

but he said --------------watever i hear you say to my hearing i will do for You

Let's read it together:

Numbers 14:28 ~ "Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith the LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you."

Hmm, if you think that verse is referring to answers in prayer, please read the warning in both verses 27 and 29 to get the gist. When you do, come back and let's know if you see that quote as God serving us. grin

Hint: bros, they were not praying O. . . it says "murmuring" - a very different matter. If you ask God to murmur on you. . . we doubt the aftermath would be pleasant! lipsrsealed
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by minute(f): 9:47pm On Sep 24, 2008
Human Beings serve God on choice.

God was God before us,

And He would be if we never existed.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by naomijt(f): 8:43am On Sep 25, 2008
God does and will not serve humans in anyway. Infact, he can't!!!

What are we limiting God to if we can even imagine him serving us. All that gimmie gimmie gospel preached on the pulpit are self centered. We are called to serve HIM. "All things are and were created for HIS pleasure"

Please, stop quoting scriptures out of context. God's blessings are a act of mercy and grace not cos you deserve it.

@Backslidder,
You must be truly backslidden if you think God will serve you.

@Gamine, please go study your bible for the proper usage of the word serve
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by naomijt(f): 8:45am On Sep 25, 2008
davidylan:

Your father pays your school fees . . . is he serving you?
Your mother cooks dinner for you every night . . . is she serving you?
No they are only giving you what you deserve by virtue of being their child.

The same way God blesses us by virtue of His mercy towards us. To say God serves us is to connote a wrong idea that we somehow merit His blessings. We don't. It is simply by His grace that we are saved and not of our own works.

Hey broda, I dint read this else I wouldn't have bothered to post. You couldn't have said it well broda.
Re: Do We Serve God?or Does God Serve Us? by Godalone(m): 3:11pm On Sep 25, 2008
We serve God,God will not serve any mortal body.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help Badly, Please (casting Out Demons) / Learn To Be A Witch. / Where Is God In The Game Of Football?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.