Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section (8187 Views)

Car Talk Chat Room / Car Talk Library / Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by Ikenna351(m): 9:44pm On Aug 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I was made the moderator of this section today, 22/08/2012. I had no clue it was coming. But its an opportunity for me to serve and that am grateful for. I will do my very best. Its a promise.

We know how we struggled before we could get this car discussion section. But its beginning to be abused, when its not even upto 6 months it was created.

Anyone that makes the mistake of starting an advert thread, posting sales or promoting sales in this section henceforth, consider the username banned. I have not banned anyone yet, so that no one would claim he had no idea the consequences.

Also, let stop creating topics to enquire about vehicle prices in Car discussion section. We will be inviting adverts in such threads by doing so. The thread will be moved to the appropriate section, the Autos section.

One can post a link of an advert in a thread, to make a point/check an advert or refer one to the posted link, depending on the nature of the thread.

Let us make this section a community and not discourage us from joining and learning how to keep our vehicles on the road and in good shape. We can only achieve it if there is sanity.

Do all your adverts, post your sales or make your enquiries on vehicle or parts prices in Autos section https://www.nairaland.com/autos, not in Car Talk section, please.

Thanks.

Moderator.

3 Likes

Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by bigx(m): 9:50pm On Aug 22, 2012
Congrats smiley
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by yungboss(m): 4:37am On Aug 23, 2012
i trust you will deliver...by doing the needful, big ups bro
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by gulfer: 7:51am On Aug 23, 2012
Congrats mon, know you will not disappoint! cheesy grin
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by autodoctor: 2:16pm On Aug 23, 2012
Nice one bro.
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by t3ky(m): 10:20pm On Aug 23, 2012
Nice one man. Truat you to handle it well
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by zylla(m): 11:59am On Aug 26, 2012
Nice one bro, I know you can & will deliver... grin grin grin cool cool cool
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by Trac: 11:03pm On Aug 28, 2012
I didn't know active efforts were made to break this section off from the Auto section.
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by sultaan(m): 10:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
Trac: I didn't know active efforts were made to break this section off from the Auto section.

Nobody really want to break auto discussion away from auto-section, but they had to put it out of reach to dealers and scam artist(although they still stray into cartalk).Nigerians will follow rules as long as its enforced.

If only we could have a FAQ thread sticky on front page with solved regular problems as fuel consumption, engines oils, engine/computers diagnosis, and transmissions, it will help create a library of knowledge.

There are some good threads in auto section that can still be salvaged.

Mod please look into it.
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 29, 2012
sultaan:

Nobody really want to break auto discussion away from auto-section, but they had to put it out of reach to dealers and scam artist(although they still stray into cartalk).Nigerians will follow rules as long as its enforced.

If only we could have a FAQ thread sticky on front page with solved regular problems as fuel consumption, engines oils, engine/computers diagnosis, and transmissions, it will help create a library of knowledge.

Mod please look into it.
Constructive.
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by Trac: 3:04am On Aug 30, 2012
sultaan:

Mod please look into it.

I understand! I remembered when the Auto Forum was just plainly cars and slowly, classified threads started coming up and then gaining momentum. It is a lot better in this format. An improvement to this format will be the repetition of topics (or to put it in better terms, subject matters). There are repetitive topics and over a period of time, it will be clustered with "mirror-like" topics. Salvaging the older topics in the Auto Forum will be some task. This will be dating back to at least 2005 or so. Many of the threads would be obsolete as well.

A sticky is a good idea but will not apply to all vehicles. Some cars are more complicated than others. We should also remember that it is not a forum solely for the purpose of diagnosing motor vehicles but motor vehicles in general. Reflecting on your idea about stickies: proper education is what needs to be passed on. Why/how?! If we were to go by principles, we should condemn Nigerians for making purchases for inappropriate conditions. -- but this is for the engineering handbooks and the corporate world. In light of the comprehensive view, it might be the only option due to the conditions and other factors. This is exactly what I meant by the last sentence or two. Most of the cars are non-tropicalised and should not be on Lagos roads. However, there are situations why this isn't so. Different people for different reasons. The damper is a very practical example of my point of view. They are designed for smooth twisty roads in the non-tropical regions. When it arrives in Nigeria (according to what everyone testifies about bad roads because I am unaware), the same OEM should not be reinstall when they fail or loose most of their integrity. It is obvious that damping is a lot rigourous in Nigeria than it would be for the region that it was originally intended for. The solution to this inefficiency is to be in search for the heavy duty variants from selected manufacturers that would never need replacement for the duration of the existence of the vehicle. The sweet aspect is that they are cheaper than what the genuine OEM would sell to you. This is just one of the examples. Another example is to pick steel springs/dampers as opposed to air-rides and be picky about the engine choices. The gasoline to fuel some of the cars in the classifieds is not sold in Nigeria. Then complaints about oil blackening, heat, knocks-&-pings begins to surface and then a counsel surfaces that removing the thermostat resolves it.

Enlightenment plays a bigger part as well. If you rollback in time, forum members avoided the V6 engines and they sold cheaper than the 4 cylinder alternatives; the V8's being off-limits. This is not to say that I am endorsing the V6' and V8's. Everybody has their own choices, so therefore none of these are standards neither is any unsuitable for most conditions. It still takes you from A-to-B.

My fair contributions:
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by Trac: 3:57am On Aug 30, 2012
Moderator:

I have two posts that turned up hidden. I cannot for sure explain why but it is quite lengthy. For some reason, my browser hangs unexpectedly, so I decided to compose my response on a text editor and paste within the reply the box. Upon editing to correct the correct (to make it presentable), the system ducked it.

This is the link: https://www.nairaland.com/1028174/corvttes-ferrari-360#11929959

I did try to re-list it but it suppressed it as well. I guess to lengthy for the allotted time used from respond to send.

The second listing can be deleted. Is there a problem with NL's notification system? I have poor notifications and in some cases, no notification(s).
Re: Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section by josephocole: 10:38am On Oct 12, 2012
careful bro

(1)

My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion / I Need An Advice On Rx 330,ford Edge And Mdx / Which One Is Better For Uber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.