Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,920 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? (16534 Views)

The 10 Countries With The Fastest Internet In The World / Meet The World's Fastest Internet Millionaire (it Took Him Just 5 Months) / Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by slightlyMad(f): 12:41pm On Aug 23, 2012
Abrantie: Ok, everyone go to speedtest.net and post your results here.

I am in Ghana and here is mine:

so this thing about ghanians being fools is so true

it says Zain communications Lagos, you have a lagos in Ghana?
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 23, 2012
Good
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 23, 2012
Fast but Unstable. We need consistency here. Tired of switching sim cards.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Abrantie: 12:43pm On Aug 23, 2012
slightlyMad:

The default test server was Lagos, but I changed it to Accra. Check my modified post.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by solomon111(m): 12:46pm On Aug 23, 2012
berem: Tales by rainfall! Lie lie people.smh! sad
But when they say,we have the slowest in africa,you will believe, right.
SMH.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 23, 2012
Good+gooder+goodest ;DGood+gooder+goodest
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Abrantie: 12:50pm On Aug 23, 2012
Test with my Vodafone SIM:

Much better because, after all, Vodafone (formerly GT) owns the fiber backbone to the internet so all other ISPs (except Glo) pretty much goes through Vodafone.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by searay(m): 12:56pm On Aug 23, 2012
victichy: For which part of naija you dey yarn? for my area U struggle with 10kb.
wondering? Nigeria is Lagos, Abuja, Ph, and Kano. Get that.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by victorD3: 12:56pm On Aug 23, 2012
Imagine where Nigeria is taking first.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by slightlyMad(f): 12:58pm On Aug 23, 2012
Abrantie: Ok, everyone go to speedtest.net and post your results here.

I am in Ghana and here is mine:

Upload sucks.
Download 550 Kbps

ISP: Airtel/Zain (going through Vodafone).

Test Server Location: Accra

so to achieve good speed you have to tunnel through Nigeria
thanks for confirming Akamai's theory
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Abrantie: 1:07pm On Aug 23, 2012
slightlyMad:
so to achieve good speed you have to tunnel through Nigeria
thanks for confirming Akamai's theory

Not really, it depends on how the ISPs setup their network. The ping time for a server has to be fast to get a good test result. May be that's why Airtel/Zain is not the fastest internet in Ghana due to bad hardware setup.

Mind you, that was just a test where a particular server was selected. When one is surfing the internet in Ghana, their connection route doesn't go through Lagos or it might be different depending on where they're located.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by ernestleon(m): 1:08pm On Aug 23, 2012
slightlyMad:

if that came out from a white man to a black man,i bet you would have called him a racist
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by mhsanni(f): 1:13pm On Aug 23, 2012
NA LIE!!!
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Sike(m): 1:16pm On Aug 23, 2012
Lies!
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Abrantie: 1:16pm On Aug 23, 2012
Hey, why don't some of you Naija based NLders point your browser to http://www.speedtest.net, run a few tests and post your best result here to confirm this topic?
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by slightlyMad(f): 1:21pm On Aug 23, 2012
Abrantie:

Not really, it depends on how the ISPs setup their network. May be that's why Airtel/Zain is not the fastest internet in Ghana.

Mind you, that was just a test where a particular server was selected. When one is surfing the internet in Ghana, their connection route doesn't go through Lagos or it might be different depending on where they're located.

somehow, i like your responses, even though i sounded that way. good personality, keep it up bro.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by ernestleon(m): 1:27pm On Aug 23, 2012
slightlyMad:

somehow, i like your responses, even though i sounded that way. good personality, keep it up bro.
One love for a greater Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by onyengbu: 1:40pm On Aug 23, 2012

[size=14pt]Emphasis on where it says "slower than 51% of NG"[/size]
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by 360command: 1:45pm On Aug 23, 2012
I do not believe the report somehow .Because when I was in Nigeria, while using my blackberry, to watch video on you tube na war, it keeps breaking, except you are watching it in the night, then you can enjoy watching videos. One thing I like about nigeria internet tariff is not too expensive per say but it comes with a slow network(mostly,mtn,airtel,glo). You only enjoy fast speed internet with starcoms,multilinks,zoom and other broadband networks.

When my bro came to visit me in ghana, he was amazed when he was watching videos on his blackberry.on a one time buffer,the video was continously playing. He said, 'sh¤t, d network fast for here'. If na 9ja, we no fit watch youtube video by this time.

He went further to download movies on his blackberry,but was shocked how his blackberry data bundle got exhausted.

Now, the thing is , in ghana, you are given a small amount of internet data bundle for a bigger price but fast internet. But in 9ja, big internet bundle,with a moderate price but not to fast internet connection the way you want it to be.

How I beat the system here in ghana is by enjoying high speed internet but paying low is, I subscribe my blackberry 9ja sim for 1200 naira as monthly subscription while using my sim in ghana enjoying the fast internet service here in ghana making me get updated of various happenings while in nigeria. My 1200naira works well for me for 1 month. If I was to use my ghana sim, I would be paying about 3000naira for 3weeks. And this is quite expensive me for me to kip up-to-date.

So I think it depends on the speed and the money you used to pay for it .

En Dieu nous croyons - In God we trust.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Abrantie: 1:47pm On Aug 23, 2012
There's no reason why West Africa can't enjoy fast internet connection like in the developed world. After all, several high speed internet fiber hugs our coast from South Africa all the way to Europe.

Our problem is poor telecom infrastructure. What I'm saying is akin to how Nigeria *sort of* generates power, albeit not enough, but to efficiently distribute that power seems to be the bottleneck.

The same analogy can be applied to fast internet access. Glo seems to be doing the right thing in Ghana to address this problem. They are wiring the whole country and neighborhoods with fibre optics cables. Some have even passed through the Volta river all the way to the north. Hopefully in the near future, Ghanaians will have internet access into their homes in gigabits if Glo's plan goes well (and doesn't get sabotaged... knowing how we hate Nigerians cheesy).
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Next2Bezee(m): 2:19pm On Aug 23, 2012
slightlyMad:

You're REALLY mad not just SLIGHTLY. He ran that test on a server in lagos if you actually Looked, It doesn't mean he's in Nigeria. undecided undecided

Here's Mine guys...

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Revolva(m): 2:26pm On Aug 23, 2012
Nigeria fastest speed big hoax ....we only have the higest number of internet users that's all as for speed lie lie lie lie ....its limited the faster the higher you pay bull shit
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by ernestleon(m): 2:38pm On Aug 23, 2012
Next2Bezee:

You're REALLY mad not just SLIGHTLY. He ran that test on a server in lagos if you actually Looked, It doesn't mean he's in Nigeria. undecided undecided

Here's Mine guys...

for your mind you get the best internet download speed so far lol...When i get home i will test mine.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by ifeteminikan: 2:41pm On Aug 23, 2012
grin grin grin
I will be back on this thread to make sure my post did not disappear[/quote]
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by TalkWeb44: 2:57pm On Aug 23, 2012
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2135844816.png

If Nigeria is Lagos, Ibadan , Abuja and PH I will agree we have the fastest in Africa. I often browse in IB and friend using same network in Abeokuta will not be able to connect grin grin

It boils down to how the nation is telecom wired.... more solution where they can get more subscribers......
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by TalkWeb44: 2:57pm On Aug 23, 2012
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2135844816.png

If Nigeria is Lagos, Ibadan , Abuja and PH I will agree we have the fastest in Africa. I often browse in IB and friend using same network in Abeokuta will not be able to connect grin grin

It boils down to how the nation telecom is wired.... more solution where they can get more subscribers......
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by mrperfect(m): 3:04pm On Aug 23, 2012
This is a good news.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 23, 2012
God Bless Nigeria. Airtel Naija, Sp33d is An ATITUDE

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by pingo(m): 3:10pm On Aug 23, 2012
MTN take note
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by carlwheezer: 3:14pm On Aug 23, 2012
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by zikclassiq(m): 3:28pm On Aug 23, 2012
Browsing wit my airtel somtimes peaks lyk 1.8 to 2mbps wen streaming or downloading. So it mayb tru pals. This in minna, niger state o
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Solozzo(m): 3:36pm On Aug 23, 2012
Nice to hear. We could even do better with ADSL Internet technology. It's faster and cheaper. The main drawback for Nigeria in acqiuring ADSL is the lack of adequate landline phone services. You need a landline to get ADSL internet installed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mentality Of Nigerians When You Ask Them To Visit Your Site / Hold On Before You Build That New Website! / Having Problems With Graphcard?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.