Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,133 members, 7,821,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? (7293 Views)

My Fellow Agnostic And Atheist, What If We Got It All Wrong? / To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? / "I Serve A God Who Answers Prayers" - American Doctor Cured Of Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by mkmyers45(m): 5:26pm On Aug 23, 2012
Well although many won't admit it so many atheists on here are actually agnostics so i will like to throw this question out to everyone...What are the features/characteristics/nature/personality you are looking out for in a God?
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 23, 2012
I, for one, will look for one that's as far removed from the christian concept as possible.

1 Like

Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:39am On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45: Well although many won't admit it so many atheists on here are actually agnostics so i will like to throw this question out to everyone...What are the features/characteristics/nature/personality you are looking out for in a God?

Sort of like what Alusi Okija is..

1. A physical Presence that can be felt, percieved, seen and heard.. None of that spiritual bullshit!

2. An egalitarian God. One that considers all men equal and treats them the same. No hierachy's nothing!! All men equal, answerable to only him.

3. A God of instant justice.. The sould that sins should die. Not wait for some phantom heavenly court appearance.. Straight out drop dead.

1 Like

Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by mkmyers45(m): 12:00pm On Aug 24, 2012
Okija_juju:

Sort of like what Alusi Okija is..

1. A physical Presence that can be felt, percieved, seen and heard.. None of that spiritual bullshit!

2. An egalitarian God. One that considers all men equal and treats them the same. No hierachy's nothing!! All men equal, answerable to only him.

3. A God of instant justice.. The sould that sins should die. Not wait for some phantom heavenly court appearance.. Straight out drop dead.

Extreme no? Will it bring out total submission or more hypocrisy?
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by jayriginal: 12:59pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45: Well although many won't admit it so many atheists on here are actually agnostics so i will like to throw this question out to everyone...What are the features/characteristics/nature/personality you are looking out for in a God?

An agnostic is an atheist.

An agnostic does not believe in god.

As LogicBoy jokingly put it, an agnostic is an atheist without b[i]a[/i]lls.

1 Like

Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Purist(m): 1:13pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

Although I do realize that this is meant to be a joke, I hope you also realize that it is grossly misleading. smiley
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by jayriginal: 1:18pm On Aug 24, 2012
Purist:

Although I do realize that this is meant to be a joke, I hope you also realize that it is grossly misleading. smiley

Clarify please.
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 24, 2012
cry all you heathens are ridiculously addicted to self aggrandizement. what the heck is an agnostic atheist ? all these self important labels so you can feel good about being a godless heathen cry
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Purist(m): 1:26pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

Clarify please.

The fact that one is unsure does not mean they don't have balls. I believe that agnosticism is a very intellectually honest position. You don't know, you don't pretend to know, and sometimes, you just don't care. Simple as that. Nothing to do with balls.

4 Likes

Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by mkmyers45(m): 1:38pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

I have to strongly disagree strongly with you... Agnosticism can also infer that someone is not ready to choose sides on the God subject doesn't necessarily make them a coward..

1 Like

Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Purist(m): 1:44pm On Aug 24, 2012
obadiah777: what the heck is an agnostic atheist ?

Agnostic atheism, also called atheistic agnosticism, is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

Russell's teapot typifies this position quite well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_teapot
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by jayriginal: 1:45pm On Aug 24, 2012
Purist:

The fact that one is unsure does not mean they don't have balls. I believe that agnosticism is a very intellectually honest position. You don't know, you don't pretend to know, and sometimes, you just don't care. Simple as that. Nothing to do with balls.

Well, it depends on how you look at it. Being unsure of whether there is a god or not still makes you an atheist as it means you dont believe. Thats really what is important ; whether you believe or not.

Its not to say that there is anything "dishonest" about calling oneself an agnostic.

If you accept that an agnostic does not believe in god, then you accept an agnostic is an atheist. Afterall, you cannot believe in something you are unsure about (or can you).

Now about the balls part, atheism comes with many negative connotations in the eyes of the religious and so one might take the softer option and declare oneself to be an agnostic since it seems to be less offensive than atheism (generally).

Declaring oneself an agnostic may be due also to a genuine misunderstanding of what atheism is (very common) and not a lack of balls.

However, the way I read that quote of LogicBoy, I understood it to mean that an agnostic is an atheist who wishes to avoid the repercussions that come with declaring oneself an atheist.

1 Like

Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by jayriginal: 1:46pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

I have to strongly disagree strongly with you... Agnosticism can also infer that someone is not ready to choose sides on the God subject doesn't necessarily make them a coward..

You are reading too much meaning into that quote. It was a joke.
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Purist(m): 2:01pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

Well, it depends on how you look at it. Being unsure of whether there is a god or not still makes you an atheist as it means you dont believe. Thats really what is important ; whether you believe or not.

Its not to say that there is anything "dishonest" about calling oneself an agnostic.

If you accept that an agnostic does not believe in god, then you accept an agnostic is an atheist. Afterall, you cannot believe in something you are unsure about (or can you).

Now about the balls part, atheism comes with many negative connotations in the eyes of the religious and so one might take the softer option and declare oneself to be an agnostic since it seems to be less offensive than atheism (generally).

Declaring oneself an agnostic may be due also to a genuine misunderstanding of what atheism is (very common) and not a lack of balls.

However, the way I read that quote of LogicBoy, I understood it to mean that an agnostic is an atheist who wishes to avoid the repercussions that come with declaring oneself an atheist.

Well, there's a reason why there's that distinction in the first place. While I agree with you that some agnostics may label themselves so to avoid the unpleasant tag of atheism in the eyes of the religious, the fact still remains that there is a distinction between both positions to begin with - that certainty/uncertainty aspect. The typical atheist is cöck-sure that there is no god of any kind anywhere. The agnostic on the other hand, either thinks that there is a possibility, however slight, of there being a deity; or that such knowledge is currently beyond us - basically, we're not yet "smart" enough to know whether there really are gods or not.

"Afterall, you cannot believe in something you are unsure about (or can you)." - Well, you cannot disbelieve in something you are unsure about either (or can you?)

1 Like

Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 24, 2012
Purist:

Agnostic atheism, also called atheistic agnosticism, is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

Russell's teapot typifies this position quite well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_teapot
all made up crap undecided
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Purist(m): 2:11pm On Aug 24, 2012
^^ Okay.
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by jayriginal: 2:17pm On Aug 24, 2012
Purist:

Well, there's a reason why there's that distinction in the first place. While I agree with you that some agnostics may label themselves so to avoid the unpleasant tag of atheism in the eyes of the religious, the fact still remains that there is a distinction between both positions to begin with - that certainty/uncertainty aspect. The typical atheist is cöck-sure that there is no god of any kind anywhere. The agnostic on the other hand, either thinks that there is a possibility, however slight, of there being a deity; or that such knowledge is currently beyond us - basically, we're not yet "smart" enough to know whether there really are gods or not.

"Afterall, you cannot believe in something you are unsure about (or can you)." - Well, you cannot disbelieve in something you are unsure about either (or can you?)

Your bolded is wrong and that is a major source of confusion on this issue. There is no "typical" atheist. An atheist is one who does not believe in god, not one who believes there is no god. Indeed, there are atheists who believe there is no god but that is not what qualifies them as atheists.

As for your response to the coloured, it is not necessary, but to answer you, YES you can disbelieve something you are not sure about. I dont think you phrased the question properly, but note that there is is a difference in believing there is no god and not believing there is a god.

All you need to consider is the question: does an agnostic believe in god ?

If your answer is no, he/she is an atheist.
If your answer is yes, then an agnostic can not possibly be an atheist.

You may feel free to answer "An agnostic does not believe in god but does not disbelieve either", however only the first half of the reply is relevant to determine whether or not the person is an atheist.

I seem to recall having this discussion with you a while back.
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by jayriginal: 2:17pm On Aug 24, 2012
Double Post
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Purist(m): 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

Your bolded is wrong and that is a major source of confusion on this issue. There is no "typical" atheist. An atheist is one who does not believe in god, not one who believes there is no god. Indeed, there are atheists who believe there is no god but that is not what qualifies them as atheists.

It's not wrong. Positive atheism, Strong atheism, Explicit atheism. Do those terms sound familiar? There, you have the "typical atheist" I refer to.

There's this atheist page I subscribed to on Facebook and they once made a poll asking their followers to vote on a scale of 1 - 10 how "atheistic" they are: 1 being very religious and absolutely believing just about everything their religion says literally. And 10 being completely atheistic -- completely convinced that gods of any kind do not and cannot possibly exist, leaving absolutely no room for doubt. It may surprise you to know that Option 10 got the highest vote.

jayriginal:
As for your coloured, it is not necessary.
All you need to answer is the question: does an agnostic believe in god ?

If your answer is no, he/she is an atheist.
If your answer is yes, then an agnostic can not possibly be an atheist.

You may feel free to answer "An agnostic does not believe in god but does not disbelieve either", however only the first half of the reply is relevant to determine whether or not the person is an atheist.

The second half of the statement is equally relevant. That's what makes the person an agnostic.

jayriginal:
I seem to recall having this discussion with you a while back.

Yes, we did have this discussion and I had a re-think.
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by jayriginal: 3:03pm On Aug 24, 2012
Purist:

It's not wrong. Positive atheism, Strong atheism, Explicit atheism. Do those terms sound familiar? There, you have the "typical atheist" I refer to.

I'm very familiar with them. They simply try to pin point your precise position. It takes nothing from what the general term "atheist" means.

There's this atheist page I subscribed to on Facebook and they once made a poll asking their followers to vote on a scale of 1 - 10 how "atheistic" they are: 1 being very religious and absolutely believing just about everything their religion says literally. And 10 being completely atheistic -- completely convinced that gods of any kind do not and cannot possibly exist, leaving absolutely no room for doubt. It may surprise you to know that Option 10 got the highest vote.

Richard Dawkins did something similar in one of his books, I think The God Delusion. If my memory serves me well, his own scale was from 1 to 7, with 1 being very religious and 7 being completely atheistic (as in positively knowing/believing that gods do not exist). It may surprise you that Dawkins put himself on a 6 not 7. What does that tell you ?

As for the facebook poll, those who subscribed to the poll, their backgrounds may count. I was discussing with a friend who lives in Atlanta and she said in the US, if you call yourself an atheist, it goes more than not believing in god, it means you believe there is no god. Who knows, majority of those who put themselves on 10 may have similar backgrounds.

In any case, I havent seen the poll and the description of each of the elements of the scale. Like I said earlier, there are atheists that hold that there is no god. There are those that do not believe there is god but will not assert that there is no god. Both groups are atheists.
You have a demarcation when you want to single out a person (for instance) so as to know what kind of arguments to employ against that person.

Let me use an example. Its like plants and animals. They are both living things. Or, dogs and cats; both animals. The word atheist is a general classification encompassing everybody who does not believe in god. It is only when you go into specifics that you may encounter these other terms.
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Callotti: 4:04pm On Aug 24, 2012
For starters:

Free from arrogance and sadistic megalomania. cool
One who can have his own children without borrowing the phallus of a "Holy Ghost"! cool
One who can phock without getting jealous of Adam and Eve! cool
One in my own image and likeness, with a FREE WILL. cool
Not a Chistian God or a Muslm Allah. kiss

Ooooops! Back to class. cool
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by mkmyers45(m): 4:07pm On Aug 24, 2012
Callotti: For starters:

Free from arrogance and sadistic megalomania. cool
One who can have his own children without borrowing the phallus of a "Holy Ghost"! cool
One who can phock without getting jealous of Adam and Eve! cool
One in my own image and likeness, with a FREE WILL. cool
Not a Chistian God or a Muslm Allah. kiss

where have you been? Your oga dey hide you ni?
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Callotti: 4:23pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

where have you been? Your oga dey hide you ni?

The man dey hide me with lovuuuuuuu!!!! Too much loooooovuuuuuuu and kisssssses and errrrrrrm. . . .cool
Was just waiting for "trolls" to be dealt with. Now, I can read a lot of 'hidden posts'. Mu he he he he he heeeeh!!!!!

Who wan inherit bad luck from cyber urchns?
grin

Later. I paid for this conference. I better pay attention. cheesy

Nice topic! kiss
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by mkmyers45(m): 4:27pm On Aug 24, 2012
Callotti:

The man dey hide me with lovuuuuuuu!!!! Too much loooooovuuuuuuu and kisssssses and errrrrrrm. . . .cool
Was just waiting for "trolls" to be dealt with. Now, I can read a lot of 'hidden posts'. Mu he he he he he heeeeh!!!!!

Nice topic! kiss

Thanks...You don come abi you go soon leave us
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Callotti: 4:33pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

Thanks...You don come abi you go soon leave us

Leave ke?
I fit take break. But to leave? Lai lai!!!
I like to pepper my henemies. Make dem know say I dey kamkpeeeeeee KIDIGBA!!! cool
I dey come. We are discussing treatments for micro peh-nises, ambiguous gheni-Talia and sex-Tual hormones right now in class. My favorites. My phone wan quench. tongue
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Delafruita(m): 5:15pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

an atheist does not believe there is any deity.he doesnt believe in any god or the idea that a god exists.

an agnostic on the other hand doesnt completely rule out the idea of a god.he just doesnt accept any of the religions around him and the god they preach.

many a time,agnostics dont accept some theories put forward by atheists such as the theory of evolution simply because such theories have not been proven beyond reasonable doubt.

agnostics dont transfer disbelief in one entity into belief in another.they want proof for any theory and wont just accept a scientific theory as proof just because it negates the god theory.

agnostics are generally receptive of all ideas and sometimes embrace all religion and beliefs without committing to any

4 Likes

Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 24, 2012
wow.. delafruita.... thanks a lot..
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by jayriginal: 5:48pm On Aug 24, 2012
Delafruita:

an atheist does not believe there is any deity.he doesnt believe in any god or the idea that a god exists.

an agnostic on the other hand doesnt completely rule out the idea of a god.he just doesnt accept any of the religions around him and the god they preach.

many a time,agnostics dont accept some theories put forward by atheists such as the theory of evolution simply because such theories have not been proven beyond reasonable doubt.

agnostics dont transfer disbelief in one entity into belief in another.they want proof for any theory and wont just accept a scientific theory as proof just because it negates the god theory.

agnostics are generally receptive of all ideas and sometimes embrace all religion and beliefs without committing to any

To test for atheism only one question is necessary; "Do you believe in god ?". The rest na jara.

So, would you say an agnostic believes in god?
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by jayriginal: 5:50pm On Aug 24, 2012
musKeeto: wow.. delafruita.... thanks a lot..

You seem to think that I am attacking the concept of agnosticism. I'm not. I'm only pointing out a popular misconception.
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

To test for atheism only one question is necessary; "Do you believe in god ?". The rest na jara.

So, would you say an agnostic believes in god?
Do you believe THERE is a GOD? not believe IN..

to this an atheist would say NO. an agnostic would answer MAYBE...

1 Like

Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

You seem to think that I am attacking the concept of agnosticism. I'm not. I'm only pointing out a popular misconception.
Not at all. I only thanked Delafruita for pointing out a popular misconception..
Re: What Would The Agnostic/atheist Look For In A God? by jayriginal: 6:01pm On Aug 24, 2012
musKeeto:
Do you believe THERE is a GOD? not believe IN..

to this an atheist would say NO. an agnostic would answer MAYBE...

It makes no difference as the result is the same. Lets use your modification.

Question : Do you believe there is a god ?

Atheist : No. (Very clear and direct).

Agnostic: Maybe (just trying to avoid saying no, which is where the joke about having balls comes into play). The truth is, there is no halfway between belief. You either do or you dont. The "maybe" answer is actually a no, but sounds non commital. You cannot maybe believe or maybe not. Saying you dont believe there is a god is not the same thing as saying you believe there is no god.

musKeeto:
Not at all. I only thanked Delafruita for pointing out a popular misconception..

Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can A Christian Still Be Under A Curse? / Asking for Tithe is Fraud: Pastor(Dr) Abel Damina / Notable Converts To Christianity From Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.