Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? (65418 Views)

Picture Of Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti & Beko Ransome-Kuti / Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? / Funmilayo Ransome Kuti - Nigeria's Wonder Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by doublej1(m): 9:08pm On Aug 24, 2012
my brothers may you continue to have the strength to tell us the true story of past events. It is also known that during the reign of kalakuta republic it was a shelter for criminals in lagos, all you had to do was rob and find your way into the republic and nothing can touch you.

1 Like

Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by BizBooks(m): 9:23pm On Aug 24, 2012
The facts are coming out gradually. Before today, all I knew about Fela's mother's death
was what I heard from Fela himself. In narrating the incident through his music, Fela left
out the portions that are damaging to him. For instance, he never mentioned the fact that
his boys started the whole commotion. Also, he never mentioned the fact that at least one
Police Officer or maybe more was killed in his compound that day.

If it is true that a Police Officer was killed at Kalakuta Republic that day, then one can
understand why the Police and Army stormed his compound. That is nothing new in Nigeria. If
a Police or Military Officer is killed in your street, you better vacate the area as soon
as possible because they will be coming back for blood as they did in this instance. It has
happened many times before in different parts of Nigeria.

So in effect, the attack on Kalakuta Republic was not premeditated as some had suggested.
The Police and Military did not wake up that day and decided to attack Fela's residence as
many of us thought. Also, somebody here stated that the attack was approved by Theophilus
Danjuma. In the absence of concrete evidence, this is highly doubtful in light of what we
now know. If you kill a Police or Military Officer, they do not need permission from anybody
to come for you.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by blasterman(m): 9:25pm On Aug 24, 2012
unknown soldiers where have u been this na ancient story. Listen to felas Unknown Solider and Coffin for Head of State.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Katsumoto: 9:32pm On Aug 24, 2012
BizBooks: The facts are coming out gradually. Before today, all I knew about Fela's mother's death
was what I heard from Fela himself. In narrating the incident through his music, Fela left
out the portions that are damaging to him. For instance, he never mentioned the fact that
his boys started the whole commotion. Also, he never mentioned the fact that at least one

If it is true that a Police Officer was killed at Kalakuta Republic that day, then one can
understand why the Police and Army stormed his compound. That is nothing new in Nigeria. If
a Police or Military Officer is killed in your street, you better vacate the area as soon
as possible because they will be coming back for blood as they did in this instance. It has

So in effect, the attack on Kalakuta Republic was not premeditated as some had suggested.
The Police and Military did not wake up that day and decided to attack Fela's residence as
many of us thought. Also, somebody here stated that the attack was approved by Theophilus
Danjuma. In the absence of concrete evidence, this is highly doubtful in light of what we
now know. If you kill a Police or Military Officer, they do not need permission from anybody
to come for you.

OBJ,

Who taught you how to use a computer and log on the net? cheesy
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Omen100(m): 9:35pm On Aug 24, 2012
BizBooks: The facts are coming out gradually. Before today, all I knew about Fela's mother's death

to come for you.

Bizbook or what ever u called yourself, don't u know when to give up, this is a settled issue. The military under obasajo's lead govt was responsible for Fela's mother death. What else or other part do u want to hear?
Kevwe must have spoken the way she did because the death of mama Fummi was not the subject matter of the interview she had with the press & I believed that, that was why she did over emphases on it by stating the surface, after she said that she later woke up in albati barrack's & Fela sang that they were heard there for weeks not until there press & other bodies started talking that the damn federal govt setup a board of enquiry that up end confiscating the burnt & damaged properties.

So please, just respect yourself this night, we already have enough to deal with, don't add the past to it, because Nigerians has suffered for too long, just too long.
Please I have had a rough day already don't add your un-arguable arguments & perhaps the govt then never disagreed with her death, they said that the invasion was done by unknown soldiers which I believed should put an end to your blind arguments.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Agiliti(m): 9:44pm On Aug 24, 2012
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by BizBooks(m): 9:47pm On Aug 24, 2012
Omen100:
Bizbook or what ever u called yourself, don't u know when to give up, this is a settled issue. The military under obasajo's lead govt was responsible for Fela's mother death. What else or other part do u want to hear?

Did you even read what I wrote before quoting me verbatim? Nobody is disputing the fact
that Fela's house was attacked by soldiers. The attack was captured by journalists on
still pictures, so it is not in doubt. However we have moved beyond that and are now
discussing the origin of the attack. Are you aware that at least one Police Officer or
maybe two were killed at Fela's compound that day before the attack? I'm sure you don't.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by ovo4u(m): 10:25pm On Aug 24, 2012
BizBooks: Somebody pointed out that Fela's house is a 2 Storey building. That is correct. When I made
reference to the "first storey", I was simply pointing out that his mother was thrown out
of the first storey or second floor window. I was not saying that the house is a one storey
building.

RevealedTV has posted a picture of Fela's mother after that incident. As you can see, apart
from the leg in a cast, she looked okay for somebody that has gone through such trauma.
With proper care she may have survived assuming she had no other hidden ailments.

Some people have gone as far as accusing me of having colonial mentality because I had the
nerve to listen to a white man. But what they don't know is that some Americans know more
about Fela than most Nigerians. So when an American author says publicly that Fela's mother
was not killed by soldiers, one has to take it seriously. As you can see from the picture
below, he seems to have a point even if most of us don't agree with him.

This guy is very upsetting who even want to hear or read what you believed or your America writer?
May God let someone or the Soldier also throw your mother from the window, so that we can have Chad writer atleast they are boarder with us and since your family is not that popular, they will be able to prove to Nigerian, that your mother was not killed. Idio.t
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by BizBooks(m): 10:41pm On Aug 24, 2012
ovo4u:

This guy is very upsetting who even want to hear or read what you believed or your America writer? . . . Idio.t

grin grin grin Why are you calling me an Idio.t? Is there an ignore button on NL because I will
like to put you on a permanent ignore.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Ninilowo(m): 10:48pm On Aug 24, 2012
Ile-Ife:
Theophilus Danjuma, Olusegun Obasanjo and Shehu Musa Yar'adua.
Bless yu. Obj was d head of state, Yaradua the 2nd in command and Danjuma was o.c that carried out the order as he did to Ironsi and Fajuyi @ Ibadan. Danjuma Danjuma........ messenger of death, we are waiting to see how u too will end it.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by vanbonattel: 10:54pm On Aug 24, 2012
what about the soldiers electrocuted?
we did not get hit tracks moaning their death like

them electrocute my papa
them electrocute my brother

and Fela, just because he has a microphone and had hated enemies just pinned the problem on the military forgetting that his house was a den of thiefs who pretended and mixes with music lovers.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by vanbonattel: 10:55pm On Aug 24, 2012
Ninilowo:
Bless yu. Obj was d head of state, Yaradua the 2nd in command and Danjuma was o.c that carried out the order as he did to Ironsi and Fajuyi @ Ibadan. Danjuma Danjuma........ messenger of death, we are waiting to see how u too will end it.

just like some army guys killing a person today, how sure are you that goodluck ordered the crime
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Ninilowo(m): 11:07pm On Aug 24, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Under that His innocent face glasses he is a Devil. He is a slow poison.
He can never escape God's wrath. If u want the details of the ibadan operation, search for " NIGERIA COUNTER COUP OF 1966" through BING not google google.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by ganjah: 11:24pm On Aug 24, 2012
Old men in d house washin dia dirty linen outside. Sinple answer to simple quetion n u guys r here foolin selves on NL

Na Jetli kill her joor, but if u examin d matta kritically frm dis angle na rambo. Rubbish
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by nghumanbeing: 11:46pm On Aug 24, 2012
i remember the incident then, while at Holy Cross cathedral primary school, Gbosere, Lagos Island. My dad used to take me in his peugeot 305 saloon car to shotinoye street mushin every friday. Mrs Kuti was truely thrown down from the one storey building (not so high) around the railway line at Jibowu, the now Jibowu bridge was not yet constructed by then. The site of that building is now accomodating "Ransome Kuti High School beside the Railway Line at Jibowu.
Only the news paper of that time can show the picture if not found with the Kuti families. It all happened during Obasanjo reign as a military head of state. It is also true that Mrs Kuti died few months later. shocked
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Nobody: 12:04am On Aug 25, 2012
Ninilowo:
He can never escape God's wrath. If u want the details of the ibadan operation, search for " NIGERIA COUNTER COUP OF 1966" through BING not google google.

What wrath can be greater than watching your people being slaughtered like 'eran ileya' every so often. Ain't Plateau state the new hot bed in Nigeria?
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Solozzo(m): 1:22am On Aug 25, 2012
I just don't understand why Fela's mom was staying in the same building where her son did all the Ganga smoking, night clubbing activities with all the skimpy women around. The place was like a brothel. She did put herself at risk of harm living or even visiting such a place. Such an educated woman for that matter.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by UNLEASHED(m): 1:43am On Aug 25, 2012
Where was she buried? I know a couple of necromancer
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Solozzo(m): 1:46am On Aug 25, 2012

to come for you.

Thanks for clarifying issues. Kalakuta republic was a hellhole, a den for criminals and housed women of easy virtue. A high risk for police and military intervention, even in developed world. Similar to Jonestown and Waco - branch Dravidians abode in the USA. His son Femi had to close the new location after his father died.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by nagoma(m): 7:16am On Aug 25, 2012
ovo4u: @ OP angry
Why must we have to always act like slave to the white man or foreign Country like America? the child of the woman Fela said, the soldier killed her mother but you want us not to believe that but beleive some so called America writer right?
My friend don't be stupi.d and I don't pray that some soldier also throw your mom through the window and when she prpbably dies, an America writer can also write, no she was not killed. foolishness at it's peak.
My question is when do we black nations stop this advance slavering from colonial's master? cry cry

Not minding your confusion with gender, Fela was an interested party in this and could blame anybody for the death of his lovely mum . An objective unbiased view is always helpful in getting FActual information on record. Fela mum was apparently living in the Fela declared " Kalkuta Republic" when the OBJ government gave the orders to sort that place out. In the pandemonium the "citizens " of independent KAlakuta took to their heels. With due respect to Madam Ransome Kuti , you can't even be sure whether she was pushed or thrown or she jumped to escape the " invaders ".
She died several months later and sure The emotional trauma might have shortened her life , but by how much for a septuagenerian lady?
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by BizBooks(m): 8:47am On Aug 25, 2012
nagoma:
Not minding your confusion with gender, Fela was an interested party in this and could blame anybody for the death of his lovely mum .

There is evidence to suggest that Fela's mother was not thrown out of the window by the
Soldiers. At least one commenter here stated that she actually jumped out of the window
by herself because the house was on fire. If you look at her hospital picture, you will
notice that the only visible injury appears to be a broken leg. That injury is consistent
with a jump. If you are thrown out of a window, you will most likely land on your back or
head but certainly not on your feet.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by yohannazack(m): 8:52am On Aug 25, 2012
Pls somboy tel me about hajia gambo sawaba's contribitions to nogeria independence dat make her pix necessary to be on our national identity as claimed by SLS or is it a mere share of sentiment?
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Remii(m): 9:28am On Aug 25, 2012
BizBooks:

Not to minimize the gravity of the incident but I believe the second floor in this instance
is what is usually known as the first storey. That is not too high. One can survive falls
from such heights even an elderly woman

I have never heard Fela blame Danjuma for his mother's death. Do you mean Shehu Yar'adua
who Fela frequently mentions?

Wow, can you even approve pushing down a standing 70yrs old woman? Subuhanalah. With this write up, one can understand how criminals and murderers minds are. This is outrageous.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by BizBooks(m): 9:32am On Aug 25, 2012
Remii:
Wow, can you even approve pushing down a standing 70yrs old woman?

What are you talking about? We are discussing a historical event and the circumstances
surrounding it and you are asking me this?
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by redsun(m): 9:38am On Aug 25, 2012
Solozzo: I just don't understand why Fela's mom was staying in the same building where her son did all the Ganga smoking, night clubbing activities with all the skimpy women around. The place was like a brothel. She did put herself at risk of harm living or even visiting such a place. Such an educated woman for that matter.

She was not "zombily" educated like you.She clearly understood what right and wrong meant.She,like every reasonable nigerian knew that Fela is a legend,while the nigerian government is and has always been a rogue government.

1 Like

Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by dederocs(m): 11:52am On Aug 25, 2012
IT ıs a shame that ın Nıgerıa we do not carry our ıntellectuals And great mınds ın hıgh esteem,and thıs ıs the reason why our Natıon ıs stagnant,we need to get a proper orıentatıon and change our value system.
Nıce pıece of work by puttıng thıs up.ı pay maxımum respect to the ıntellıgence and bravery of thıs mother of Afrıca...number 1 durıng her tıme,a ruğed Arıstocrat...her kınds are rare ın World hıstory,she ıs ındeed the greatest woman nıja has ever had.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by BizBooks(m): 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2012
dederocs:
Nıce pıece of work by puttıng thıs up.ı pay maxımum respect to the ıntellıgence and bravery of thıs mother of Afrıca...number 1 durıng her tıme,a ruğed Arıstocrat...her kınds are rare ın World hıstory,she ıs ındeed the greatest woman nıja has ever had.

There is no doubt that Mrs Ransome-Kuti achieved a lot in her days. A woman that raised such
prominent persons as Prof Olikoye Ransome-Kuti, Dr Beko Ransome-Kuti and even Fela must have
something going for her. But you must agree with me that Fela let her down in her old age. Why
did Fela allow her to stay at Kalakuta Republic? I had the opportunity of visiting that place
in 1993 and I must tell you, it is not a place you will allow your mother to stay. Why didn't
he let her stay with the Professor or the Doctor who I'm sure had decent residences at that
time? A woman in her 70s has no business staying at Kalakuta Republic when she had better
alternatives.

P.S: Before somebody reminds us that Fela was very close to her mother, that is not enough
reason to allow her to stay there.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Bombuzby(m): 2:06pm On Aug 25, 2012
Thr0wing sum1 thru d wind0w even 4rm a bungal0w cn end up d pers0n's life...talklex 0r a lady @ 70s 4rm a st0rey building....na d army killed d w0man j0or...dat auth0r nid 2 change talent..lol
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by BizBooks(m): 3:05pm On Aug 25, 2012
I have provided a final update on lessons learned from this thread. The update is appended to
the original topic on the first page. It is in blue font for easy identification. You can view
it at this link:

https://www.nairaland.com/1027455/killed-funmilayo-ransome-kuti-felas-mother
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Katsumoto: 3:16pm On Aug 25, 2012
BizBooks:

There is no doubt that Mrs Ransome-Kuti achieved a lot in her days. A woman that raised such
prominent persons as Prof Olikoye Ransome-Kuti, Dr Beko Ransome-Kuti and even Fela must have
something going for her. But you must agree with me that Fela let her down in her old age. Why
did Fela allow her to stay at Kalakuta Republic? I had the opportunity of visiting that place
in 1993 and I must tell you, it is not a place you will allow your mother to stay.
Why didn't
he let her stay with the Professor or the Doctor who I'm sure had decent residences at that
time? A woman in her 70s has no business staying at Kalakuta Republic when she had better
alternatives.

P.S: Before somebody reminds us that Fela was very close to her mother, that is not enough
reason to allow her to stay there.

So basically, you were expecting Kalakuta in 1993 to be the same as Kalakuta in 1978?

Where Fela's mum chose to stay was the Ransome Kuti family business and not yours or anyone else's.

You created this thread in an attempt to revise history and absolve the military of culpability in her death.

You failed, even before you started.
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by Katsumoto: 3:20pm On Aug 25, 2012
BizBooks:

There is evidence to suggest that Fela's mother was not thrown out of the window by the
Soldiers. At least one commenter here stated that she actually jumped out of the window
by herself because the house was on fire. If you look at her hospital picture, you will
notice that the only visible injury appears to be a broken leg. That injury is consistent
with a jump. If you are thrown out of a window, you will most likely land on your back or
head but certainly not on your feet.

So the evidence is one commentator stating that she jumped? That is your stupid evidence?

I asked you before, you avoided and I will ask you again.
Is it possible that she could have suffered damage to vital organs?
If so, how were you expecting such injuries to be shown in a picture?
Re: Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? by BizBooks(m): 3:54pm On Aug 25, 2012
@Katsumoto,

Your responses are acerbic. That's why I have decided to ignore anything you say.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Remi Tinubu Can Never Be First Lady Of Nigeria - Nigerians Tackle Tinubu's Wife / Fake Buhari Death Certificate Bishop Eze Orieke Posted (Photos) / Nasarawa Governor Al-Makura Meets Okada Man Carrying 5 Pupils On One Bike (Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.