Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. (1612 Views)

WANT TO SHIP YOUR JEEP,CARS,TRUCK VIA COTONU/SEAPORT: Call Me ,08060989506 / WANT TO SHIP YOUR CARS VIA COTONUO PORT TO NAIJA FROM ABROAD PLUS ADVISE / I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by Yink99(m): 10:04pm On Dec 31, 2007
To ship my car i just bought to lagos, i thought i had to pay a hefty price to put the vehicle in my name (800.00) and then have it shipped under my name. The title currently is in seller's name. But i bought it and i hold the title.
But i was just told it's not true. Just as long as there is no lein on it, and it's not stolen. Doesn't matter whose name is on it, i can ship it. When it gets to lagos, i can then put it in my name.
Customs is only concerned if the car is stolen or has a lein on it. If this is true, i can save 800.00.
Please let me know if it's true.

Yinka
Re: True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by ssRhino: 1:30am On Jan 01, 2008
If the title wont sow you name, the back must be signed off to you, it only makes sense, although, i am not sure if they actually checking all that in nija
Re: True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by enibaba(m): 6:48am On Jan 01, 2008
You don't need to have your name on the tittle or else you will have to pay the licensing fee which goes with the value of the car, what you need is the bill of sales for you to export the car which may sometimes not be asked for by the shipping agent. I once was faced with that situation in Miami when private seller insisted on having his name off the tittle after purchase, on getting to the licencing office, I was charged around $300 and something dollars for car declare for$4000, Obviously, the seller didn't want to cough off the amount, neither was I for car to be exported. In the end, we settled for the bill of sales. His fear was to protect his name if any crime was committed after sales through the licence plate.
Re: True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by sultaan(m): 5:54pm On Jan 01, 2008
You both just have to sign the title on the back(buyer & seller), if Bill Of Sale and you are good to go. Its yours, but to register it with US DMV that is why you pay for tag,tax &title.You just lost $800 cos you can't really steal a car and have tha title signed with B.O.S at same time shipper will only ask for it if they expect customs to check which was why a lot of luxury rental cars were shipped to(stolen) naija e.g Tunde Tabasco. SO just get a temporary tag and drive the thing to a RORO port. put 4 years worth of brakes, synthetic engine oil(7x5qt), 2 fuel filters, 7 oil filter, Transmission oil+filter?(good luck) that is all you'll probably need IMHO.
Re: True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by ricki: 6:55pm On Jan 01, 2008
this sultan seems to be high on something, i don't understand his or her gibrish.
Re: True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by jidody(m): 8:35pm On Jan 01, 2008
You do not need your name on the title. If you attempt changing the title to your name, you will have to pay sales taxes and all the other fees and since the title is useless in Nigeria, doing that is totally a waste. Just make sure you sign at the back as the buyer. I just shipped a couple of cars that way.
Re: True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by ssRhino: 11:04pm On Jan 01, 2008
That is why i said, all he needs is sign th back of the ownership and let the seller sign it over to you as well.
Re: True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by naijaking1: 2:20am On Jan 02, 2008
ricki:

this sultan seems to be high on something, i don't understand his or her gibrish.

What's your point to the discussion?
Re: True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by sultaan(m): 3:14am On Jan 02, 2008
ricki:

ricki seems to be low on something, i don't understand his or her gibrish either
Re: True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by wweekes(m): 6:47am On Jan 31, 2008
Hi,

Im a shipping company that does Roll on Roll off shipping for cars and suv's from 2000.00 to 2600.00 depending on the size. We are also a DHL Authorized shipping center that provides 30-40 percent off of all DHL shipments, We also do ocean cargo to Nigeria @ $350 per CBM. We are located in Orange, NJ, and accept Credit Cards for all DHL Shipments. We are a licensed and bonded company and licensed with the FMC as a NVOCC. for more information please contact us @ 973-674-8932. or via email at wweekes@gmail.com
Re: True Or False? To Ship Car To Nigeria, Title Must Show Your Name. by qimpex: 7:18pm On Jan 31, 2008
sultaan:

You both just have to sign the title on the back(buyer & seller), if Bill Of Sale and you are good to go. Its yours, but to register it with US DMV that is why you pay for tag,tax &title.You just lost $800 because you can't really steal a car and have tha title signed with B.O.S at same time shipper will only ask for it if they expect customs to check which was why a lot of luxury rental cars were shipped to(stolen) naija e.g Tunde Tabasco. SO just get a temporary tag and drive the thing to a RORO port. put 4 years worth of brakes, synthetic engine oil(7x5qt), 2 fuel filters, 7 oil filter, Transmission oil+filter?(good luck) that is all you'll probably need IMHO.

As Sultaan said, the most important thing is for you and the seller to sign the appropriate space at the back showing that the car rightfully belongs to you.Custom will verify that the car is not stolen, lien free and duly yours. When I ship cars for my customers and the title is in their name they usually assign it to me,or if they don't have specae son the title, you can do affidavit for custom clearance.Ttiles are normally returned to agent with perforations on the upper left corner to show that the car has left the US.

As per puttingĀ 
4 years worth of brakes, synthetic engine oil(7x5qt), 2 fuel filters, 7 oil filter, Transmission oil+filter

Custom won't ship the car if there is any external item in it.RORO shipments require no content and please ensure that your oil level is about 1/4.

Best wishes

(1) (Reply)

2003 Honda Accord Cheap / Nigerians Don't Use Cars! / 2006/07 Mercedes Benz E 200 (very Clean) -- Asking Price = N2.4m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.