Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us (57906 Views)

How Much Does It Cost To Ship A Trailer Head From Europe To Lagos / To Ship a Car from Houston to Naija: Any one there? / How To Ship A Car To Lagos From Vancouver? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by youngdigi(m): 10:17pm On Jan 01, 2008
i am trying to ship a vehicle (most likely a jeep) from us to nigeria, i could ship from chicago or new jersey and i need to know the following

1) how long does it take to arrive? (approx)
2) how much is it to ship?
3) how much is it to clear a vehicle in lagos?
4) any extra fees i might have to budget for?

thanks a lot for ur help
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by youngdigi(m): 12:32pm On Jan 02, 2008
pls can someone help with this? im sure there are loads of you guys that do this, i dont need exact amounts if u dont have thme but an estimate

thanks
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by Democrat(m): 8:09pm On Jan 02, 2008
Digi

No Ports in Chicago, you have to ship from the Port of Newark in Jersey. Cost to ship is about $1500 including towing and or trucking to port. Clearing in Nigeria depending on make, model, and year will set you back anywhere from N300-N700k. It should take about 30 days to arrive Lagos. Are you in DC? Then ship from the port of Baltimore, it is only 35 Mins away from DC.

Good Luck

2 Likes

Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by layifioren(m): 11:39pm On Jan 02, 2008
Democrat, can you please contact me. My email addy is fola_duro@yahoo.com. I just want to butt head with you before I make a decision on shipping a car to Nigeria. Thanks
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by youngdigi(m): 12:46am On Jan 03, 2008
thanks democrat, wowww, i never thought clearing a car would run upto that amount 300k - 700k, i thought somewhere close to 100k

is there a workaround to that?
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by SirQweird(m): 1:18am On Jan 03, 2008
@Young_Digi

Not aware of any workarounds to the clearing costs. The Lagos port has been 'privatized' - the costs are standard; essentially.
It is all dependant on the type of car being cleared. Examples of my lagos port clearing experience in the past year:

1997 Toyota Hiace: N130K
2001 Toyota Camry: N250K
2006 Hummer H2: N650K

P.S. - Some folks try shipping/clearing through Cotonou (Benin Republic), but I would not recommend that.
Note the costs may amount to relatively the same.

Good Luck.
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by youngdigi(m): 1:07pm On Jan 03, 2008
@Sir Qweird, thanks for the info

do you by chance know the standard price to clear a 2002 jeep grand cherokee?

or even better do you have a number to the clearing agents there in apapa so i can call and inquire directly?

thanks a lot
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by jidody(m): 2:48pm On Jan 03, 2008
Yound Digi, a few answers

The ship takes approximately 2 weeks to arrive Lagos once it takes off from the US. What takes time is actually waiting for the next available ship. At times the wait time could be up to 1 month beacause there are so many people shipping to Nigeria now but you could get lucky. This does not stop you from doing the paper work with the shipping company and dropping the car at the port.

It costs about $1500 to ship if you are sending RORO. The charges just went up 1 Dec 07

The cost of clearing varies depending on the greed level of the clearing agent. I just cleared two 2001 Toyota Corollas for 220k each. I have a Naval Officer friend that does the clearing just in case you are interested

All things being equal, you do not really have to spend extra. Once you pay for your shipping in the US and you make the clearing money available to the clearing agent, the car should be at your doorstep in Lagos approximately 1 week after the ship arrives Lagos.

I would have to ask my clearing person how much it costs to clear the 2002 Grand Cherokee.

Take care
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by youngdigi(m): 4:11pm On Jan 03, 2008
jidody, thanks a bunch, God bless u, whats your email? let me contact you and we can work from there

also, what do you mean by RORO?
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by goodbobo: 7:06pm On Jan 03, 2008
Please what is the cost of tokubo Rav4 2002 model in Naija . I Have someone that wants to send it to me from new jersey . Please tell me what is the cost of clearing that at the lagos port . I want to know so that i can compare the prize with what i am gonna pay this my friend .

Thanks
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by sultaan(m): 2:18am On Jan 04, 2008
Has anybody tried clearing their cargo on their own? One car should be no reason to get an agent or have a armed forces 'friend' to get what youshipped(its your sweat). There are procedures for self clearing, of shipments we just need to get away from those methods of the past anf look towards the future.Things won't change if we accept them as they are, we have to force change.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by jidody(m): 5:32am On Jan 04, 2008
Young Digi,

RORO means Roll On Roll Off. You can either ship your car RORO or put it in a container. Our Lagos port is pretty safe these days so a lot of people do RORO except of course you have more than one car, like 4 cars where you could use a 40 foot container. Advantage to this is that you can also ship a lot of other items in the container. My email address is jidody@yahoo.com.

Sultan, the clearing process seems a lot easier and more straightforward these days, you only need someone to do the running around for you if you do not have the time. If you have the time, am sure you can hack it on your own through the clearing agency.
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by PapaBrowne(m): 2:19pm On Jan 05, 2008
Thanks Jidody!!
Please I am looking to send a 40' ft container from baltimore with 4 cars. Please can u give me the cost of shipping. Thanks!
And what are the benefits of shiping on RORO as againt using a container?
Also how strictly is the 8 year age limitation enforced or are there any ways around it?
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by jidody(m): 5:24am On Jan 06, 2008
Papa Browne,

Shipping a 40ft container from NJ would cost you about $6k and about $5k if you don't mind it going the longer route that could take up to 6 weeks. I suppose the cost from Baltimore would be the same.

If you have up to 4 cars to ship, the container is definitely your best option. You are fully assured of the safety of your goods and you can also load other items in it. It might cost a bit more when clearing the container though. RORO is cheaper to ship and also to clear if its just one car.

The 8 year rule is strictly enforced. The shipping companies would not even take the car. However, minivans or buses are except from this age restriction.
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by PapaBrowne(m): 5:27pm On Jan 09, 2008
@Jidody
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks man. I appreciate it. I will send you an email later. Gat some questions!
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by Panache(m): 11:34am On Jan 19, 2008
sultaan:

Has anybody tried clearing their cargo on their own? One car should be no reason to get an agent or have a armed forces 'friend' to get what youshipped(its your sweat). There are procedures for self clearing, of shipments we just need to get away from those methods of the past anf look towards the future.Things won't change if we accept them as they are, we have to force change.
PapaBrowne:

Thanks Jidody!! Please I am looking to send a 40' ft container from baltimore with 4 cars. Please can u give me the cost of shipping. Thanks! And what are the benefits of shiping on RORO as againt using a container?
Also how strictly is the 8 year age limitation enforced or are there any ways around it?

Clearing at the port is getting standardized an easy, espeically the Tin Can Port. However, I won't advise someone from the US with little time to spend in Lagos to do this on their own. Otherwise, you might end up spending your whole vacation at the port.

PapaBrowne - For 4 cars I will suggest you use a container, that way you can have all your eggs in one basket. RORO is faster but from my experience with AES and other shippers, it takes a while to get a space for your car on the ship. Also, you can't load anything in the car if you are shipping by RORO.However, you can pack some personal effects in a container. In terms of security, there is not much differrence, the RORO port is safe now. If you have your way, tell your shipper that you want to ship to Tin Can instead of Apapa. There are too many jobless men in uniform at Apapa, causing a long bottle neck. Best of luck.
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by Panache(m): 11:36am On Jan 19, 2008
jidody:

The 8 year rule is strictly enforced. The shipping companies would not even take the car. However, minivans or buses are except from this age restriction.

Jidody, any experience with shipping vans above 8 years to Lagos? Do you know if AES will accept it? Thanks
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by jidody(m): 7:10pm On Jan 19, 2008
AES will ship cars and minivans above 8 years old to Lagos. I use AEL for my shipping. If interested, you can email me for their details jidody@yahoo.com
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by Panache(m): 9:45pm On Jan 19, 2008
jidody:

AES will ship cars and minivans above 8 years old to Lagos. I use AEL for my shipping. If interested, you can email me for their details jidody@yahoo.com

Thanks Jidody, I have used them in the past, just not for vans older than 8 yrs. Just wanted to verify from other experienced auto guys. Have a nice day.
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by jidody(m): 5:29pm On Jan 22, 2008
Thanks Man
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by viperman: 6:45pm On Jan 22, 2008
Hi jidody,

I would like to deal with you privately. Sent you an email, Lets talk via email. smiley
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by jidody(m): 5:03pm On Jan 23, 2008
Hi Viperman,

I replied your email already.

Take care
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by charlyboy(m): 4:55am On Jan 31, 2008
I live in Florida. Do you guys know if there is any port in Florida.
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by wweekes(m): 6:29am On Jan 31, 2008
I'm a shipper out of Orange, NJ. i can ship your vehicle to Africa. Email me for details or questions at wweekes@gmail.com. I can help you out for shipments to Nigeria, Monrovia, Ghana, etc. or call me at 804-926-3708. I can do both ro/ro and containers
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by sanjayPH(m): 1:50pm On Jan 31, 2008
ALL,
Please i have a 40ft container containing 3 cars, i will require reliable agent that can assist in clearing it form tin can port.
The container left New jersey port today. please if u know any reliable agent contact post it, preferably a mobile phone will be better.
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by qimpex: 1:44am On Feb 01, 2008
charlyboy:

I live in Florida. Do you guys know if there is any port in Florida.

There are many ports in Florida.The most common port that is used to ship cars to Lagos is the Port of Jacksonville http://www.jaxport.com/
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by IYaeto(f): 2:49am On Feb 01, 2008
@ Sanjay send me an email and I'll send you the details. My email address is on my profile.
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by wweekes(m): 7:16am On Feb 01, 2008
Hi,

Im a shipping company that does Roll on Roll off shipping for cars and suv's from 1500.00 to 2600.00 depending on the size and the country its going to. I can ship ro/ro from Newark, Baltimore, or Jacksonville. We are also a DHL Authorized shipping center that provides 30-40 percent off of all DHL shipments, We also do ocean cargo to Nigeria @ $350 per CBM. We are located in Orange, NJ, and accept Credit Cards for all DHL Shipments. We are a licensed and bonded company and licensed with the FMC as a NVOCC. for more information please contact us @ 973-674-8932. or via email at wweekes@gmail.com

--
WESLEY W. WEEKES JR.
International Logistics Coordinator
WW Messenger & Shiping Co.
51 Main St.
Orange, NJ 07050
Phone: 973-674-8932
Fax: 973-675-1300
Email: wweekes@gmail.com
A DHL Preferred Provider
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by komekn(m): 11:42pm On Feb 03, 2008
Hi People,

I know that when i deal with customs and thier bed fellows clearing agents i am getting scammed.

I just want to know what the actual % custom duty payable on a suv is ? i know that the duty payable will be determined by a number of variables, specifically-- registration year, engine size and market value. Also a pick up is a commercial vehicle any body know the % custom duty as well ?

Why is it when you ask an agent or custom officer for these basic details you get evasion or a claim of ignorance intended to misinform. I even went to some banks only to be told customs had not issued them with the Tariff book.

Sultaan, your sentiments are mine , this is not rocket science, i bring in one car, whats so complicated that i can't do myself ?? we have to make a stand for integrity, probity and an insistence on correct procedure, i refuse to accept this ingrained corruption at our ports.

Ive asked the question on a few threads, my reply to date has been SILENCE, any one willing to open the can of worms and let the truth be revealed ?
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by sultaan(m): 8:43pm On Feb 04, 2008
This is Ghana, the information you need is there, you can then creat a budget around this estimates.You'll know what to pay before shipping unlike the seizure you'll be subjected to for making a wrong assumption in Naija.
http://www.ghanaweb.com/
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by komekn(m): 12:53am On Feb 05, 2008
Sultaan,
Thanks for the info, this is the way it should be done in Nigeria, however, the most simplistic administative procedures has been shrouded in mystery, bureaucracy, misinformation and might i add intentionally.
However, my questions remain unanswered in the naija context.
Unless you are suggesting i should clear my cars in Ghana and drive them over to Nigeria ? would i not be liable then to pay Nigerian import duties on the car, etc or is that covered under ecowas as you have in the UK with cars bought in the EEC.
Nonetheless, this option does not allow for a change to the current ingrained corrupt status quo.
shocked
Re: I'm Trying To Ship A Car To Nigeria From Us by tosenbaba(m): 10:55am On Nov 12, 2009
I just bought a 2002 Altima in Us,New York to be precise, and it would be send by next week,could u please let me have an idea of the arrival time @ 9ja port here and how much it will cost to do the clearing,if containerized or on RORO.and any other thing to watch out for.
Tks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Spare Key Cannot Start The Car But Can Open Doors. / Nigerian Army Cars Produced By Innoson Motors Company / Reg 2004 Accord @ 1.2M|04 Camry @ 1.8M|08 Camry @ 2.6M|2015 Highlander @ 15.5M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.