Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,801 members, 7,956,056 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:42 PM

Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja (11308 Views)

Nigerian Travellers Squeezed As Foreign Airlines Stop Ticket Sales In Naira / Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% / Prices Of Airlines From Lagos-usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by Novice1(m): 3:39am On Aug 29, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Just as well....you can fuc/koff to Ghana or Benin to catch your flight as we don't want your likes on our soil.

Thanks in advance for the anticipated cooperation.

Haha some Okoro is pissed up here. But that can never make anyone go to Enugu. Na by force?
Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by Akwafinaaa: 4:24am On Aug 29, 2012
Emirates and Air-France to operate from Uyo Airport soon! cool
Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by zannie(f): 7:23am On Aug 29, 2012
From what I've learnt here, some people don't deserve replies from well mannered people. Since I consider myself well mannered, I'll just air my own view and bail.
Nairaland really does have some extremely uncultured people.
Have a nice day y'all smiley
Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by since1914(m): 8:01am On Aug 29, 2012
I am not a fan of most policies of this government but that doesn't mean I condemn everything she does, just for the fun of it.

This is a good decision by the minister because Turkish Airline had applied for an Enugu slot as well as an Abuja slot. so if they get Enugu its still good for them.

Most importanyly, the Abuja Airport is a small Airport by Global Standards and lack the capacity to accomodate more flights unless expanded. Because if the Airlines are all allowed to fly out of Abuja and they start having problems, it is on this same forum that we will all converge and start insulting and cursing everyone in sight.

1 Like

Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by henrychubayo: 9:30am On Aug 29, 2012
Thank you minister. When you finished kano airport first, no one saw it as tribalism but now you directed airline to fly enugu and connect abuja, ppl talk nonsense here. For years, east have being flying to lagos and abuja to connect foreign airlines. I see jealousy here for enugu airport. When the airport was made international, most ppl from west are not happy because then and now, east has being using lagos airport which created alot of development to lagos. But that will soon change because east will also be developed as a result of that as well. I will soon write to South African Airways SAA to apply for slot in Enugu. Most igbo guys here in south can never fly lagos again if enugu start operation. Lagos will surely lose passengers coming from Enugu, Nsukka, Ebonyi, Onitsha, Awka, Owerre, Aba, Umuahia, Asaba, Ida and some part of kogi state, Benue, etc. When the airport starts, airlines will beg for slots. Employments will be available, new hotels will be built, visa centers will shift branches in east and many more. Lagos and Abuja will be less crowded.
Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by gator666: 9:50am On Aug 29, 2012
I suggest her to also ban British Airways, KLM, Lufthansa and any other foreign airline from operating from Abuja.
Well, not really.
Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by odomanis: 10:54am On Aug 29, 2012
It appears some people did not get the aspect of OVERSTRETCHING the facilities at Abuja and Lagos. Why do that, when we have Enugu just upgraded to world standard with most modern facilities? If this regulation is not applied and crashes begin to happen here and there people will still blame the minister. Now she wants to prevent congestion,overcrowding and overstreching of facilities and some of you are complaining. What a people !

1 Like

Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by sjumkoo: 10:59am On Aug 29, 2012
With the stafety records of local airlines still very questionable,our dear minister of aviation believes in multiple local flights across the country to link an international flight angry Even flying to Lagos to MMA has its own risk take more of adding Enugu to the matter). How does this her 'proposal' affect the total costs of travel?
Most of our government officials are very disconnected with the nigerian reality!! Does it not make more sense to structure out a plan whereby international carriers must gradually have a presence in one major zone - north, west and east of Nigeria, so that unnecessary local travel is reduced (thus reducing deaths from bad roads and bad airlnes!!). Also it should be mandatory that all government officials are taught the act of proper communication. This same proposal could have been made in a different manner without steering up ethnic sentiments (as if wen local flights are crashing, they spare passengers of some ethnic groups and kill the others). Even if you are an indigene of Enugu who lives in Abuja, does it benefit you that each time you need to travel with Emirates, you must travel to Lagos or Enugu?
All this ethnoreligious ramblings have not led us anywhere in this country; even christains living in the middle-east have more peace of mind than any Nigerian!! I demand that whereever I live or work, it is the duty of the government (whoever they maybe) that basic amenities work and I have peace of mind - SIMPLE!!!
Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by Kobojunkie: 11:01am On Aug 29, 2012
odomanis: It appears some people did not get the aspect of OVERSTRETCHING the facilities at Abuja and Lagos. Why do that, when we have Enugu just upgraded to world standard with most modern facilities? If this regulation is not applied and crashes begin to happen here and there people will still blame the minister. Now she wants to prevent congestion,overcrowding and overstreching of facilities and some of you are complaining. What a people !

um . . . . overstretching is not a good enough excuse that is why many of us ignored that rambling. if you have been to any one of the airports ( be it Lagos or Abuja) you would understand why no one paid that silly reason any mind. And if you have actually seen the Enugu Airport she is speaking of, you would understand even more why her 'overstretching' reason falls flat.
Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by otokx(m): 11:03am On Aug 29, 2012
Dreams can come true.
Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 29, 2012
They refused to pay her bribe, so this is their punishment. Kia!
Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by DisGuy: 11:41am On Aug 29, 2012
make political/economic sense

but

WOULD IT BE APPROPRIATE IF THE NUC FOR EXMAPLE, REFUSE MORE PRIVATE UNIVERSITY APPPLICATIONS IN SAY OGUN/SOUTH WEST, offer them free land in sokoto/niger to open up the education/economy on the Northern part of the country??

then again we dont really have enough local airlines, this will fall straight into the hands of Arik Airline, at the momement with dana has been banned we have only about 2-3 local airline. and with the level of delayed flights on the local route, i'll hate to be a businessman connecting intl flights with them

50/50 to be honest
Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 29, 2012
and kobojunkie i suppose you have SEEN enugu airport recently?

@all
At least 4 OTHER foreign airlines have departures from ABUJA so how has the minister BLOCKED foreign airlines,

The only difference is that new applicants have been offered enugu as an option.
Abuja is overstretched period! Frequent travellers to and from there can attest to that

Enugu has been upgraded to an international airport so it is an option for foreign and local airlines for international flights.
If you live in the East or SouthSouth it works for you
If you insist on taking turkish airlines or emirates you can go through lagos or enugu. Its up to the airlines to provide domestic flights for passengers who come from other parts of the country. This does not have to ccost more the customer - airlines can work it out amongst themselves

1 Like

Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by odomanis: 12:48pm On Aug 29, 2012
Some of you who are against the ministers position are not getting it. There are existing international airlines plying abuja and lagos. Government is only saying that they have enough in these two airports,that new entrants should go to Enugu instead where there is still space. This does not in any way mean that those residing in abuja or lagos will have to go to enugu 1st before flying out. There will still be flights from abuja and lagos for them. Talking about extra fare and extra risks. Those who will be joining enugu bound flights or take off from enugu are those who before now have been taking that extra risk and paying extra fare to come from the east either to lagos or abuja before they can fly out. They wont have to do that anymore,they can now save the extra fare and avoid the extra risk. REASON, PEOPLE !!

2 Likes

Re: Aviation-Minister Blocks Foreign Airlines From Abuja by princedant: 1:49am On Aug 30, 2012
Its a very good move..considering the fact that it will create more employment in enugu airport as a result of increased activities, it will also help boost sales for domestic carriers on the ENUABV route...Some here say, the airlines should be allowed to operate where the market is ...dream world..i guess u need to find out why most countries will not grant u landing rights in their core cities..Lagos and Abuja remain the key destinations..if u allow these guys to fly directly from these two points, automatically ur taking the market from our domestic airlines & killing them gradually...in PHC u find Air france & lufthansa carrying over 500 people daily out of PHC when they would have travelled on a domestic flight to board from lagos...Oduah made a good move & the smart airlines i guess have already started making moves..Emirates i know will do well in Enugu cos there is no direct flight to dubai from the whole of SS and SE and the bulk of their passengers are from the east...watch out & see if they wont grab the offer sharp sharp...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Two Valid Passports - What To Do? / Bayelsa Government Says Cargo Airport Will Be Complete By August / Flood, Rainstorm Affect 18,245 In Katsina, 24 Dead – SEMA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.