Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,465 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: (893 Views)

The type of phone you use is a reflection of who you are. / 7 Types Of Phone Users / Some Places Where Use Of Phone Is Prohibited But People Dont Obey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: by Digriz(m): 6:29pm On Aug 28, 2012
i hv used a couple phones in the past bt am planning to get a smartphone presently,my last phone was Nokia N95 8gb and i really enjoyed d phone.Am interested in having a phone that wl serve as a mobile computer to me so that i wl b making less use of my laptop since my primary concern is surfing d web. My prefered choice of d smartphone shuld possess ths qualities:
1.durable nt sensitive to frequent falls.
2.good battery life.
3.big clear screen.
4.good processing power and able to multitask wtout hanging.
5.shuld hv a good capacitive touchscreen.
6.software friendly and nt smtin like Nokia N900.
And last bt nt d least,budget friendly.
I wl welcome ur suggestion bt my choice is among every model and brand excluding BB. I may nt get a phone wt all ths qualities bt wl accept anyone close to it.
Re: Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: by chidyke77(m): 6:37pm On Aug 28, 2012
HTC Sensation is good,big clear screen,good processing power and durable bt d battery is my concern whch is nt a big problem,just hv a spare one.
Re: Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: by Digriz(m): 6:40pm On Aug 28, 2012
chidyke77: HTC Sensation is good,big clear screen,good processing power and durable bt d battery is my concern whch is nt a big problem,just hv a spare one.
tnks,need more suggestion pls.
Re: Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: by jereal(m): 7:17pm On Aug 28, 2012
what's your budget...?
that's the greatest determinant...
Re: Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: by Digriz(m): 10:28pm On Aug 28, 2012
jereal: what's your budget...?
that's the greatest determinant...
Re: Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: by geniusbami(m): 2:00am On Aug 30, 2012
I'm in the same dilema, I'm currently using Samsung Galaxy Young S6102, which is quite good with all my necessary applications, but it has the following grave limitations, which has necessitated the urgent need for another one to make up for the shortcomings:

1) Data consumption extremely HIGH; 15MB lasts 24hrs max.
2) Fully charged battery doesn't last beyond 18hrs, which I suppose is due to data consumption.
3) Closely related to that, up to 12 apps run in the background; WhatsApp I understand but the rest are absolutely out of my control amd it's turning me nuts.
4) Totally disappointing Task Manager. Every time I try to return to whichever browser it will reload all the pages I was on, and if I minimise the browser long enough, say 20mins, God help me.
5) Internal memory is another BIG disappointment, it's simply impossible to install a few additional apps to those shipped with the phone.
6) Talking of disappointments, the camera is the train.

My greatest catch in the replacement will be
Efficient data consumption,
Support WhatsApp,
Efficient Task Manager and
5MP Camera or more, in that order.

I honestly don't mind a Nokia.
Any suggestions based on experience pls?
Re: Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: by jedisco(m): 3:59am On Aug 30, 2012
Digriz: 40k

Although you didn't specify the OS you want to use, I think the best phone you can get for that price range is Nokia 701. It gives you a very good all round experience.

From your needs, it easily caters for all of them except that although its got a nice screen, its just 3.5". Its still larger than the N95 by about an inch but still less than some others (but also remember portability when looking for larger screens).
Also, it doesn't have some of the recent HD games like asphalt 7, fifa 2012 e.t.c but it still has a decent HD game collection which is well over 50. The fact is that if you're looking for recent HD games, I doubt you would get them on any OS at that price range.

So apart from these two above, I think it covers well for everything you mentioned and a whole lot more
Re: Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: by jedisco(m): 4:19am On Aug 30, 2012
geniusbami: I'm in the same dilema, I'm currently using Samsung Galaxy Young S6102, which is quite good with all my necessary applications, but it has the following grave limitations, which has necessitated the urgent need for another one to make up for the shortcomings:

1) Data consumption extremely HIGH; 15MB lasts 24hrs max.
2) Fully charged battery doesn't last beyond 18hrs, which I suppose is due to data consumption.
3) Closely related to that, up to 12 apps run in the background; WhatsApp I understand but the rest are absolutely out of my control amd it's turning me nuts.
4) Totally disappointing Task Manager. Every time I try to return to whichever browser it will reload all the pages I was on, and if I minimise the browser long enough, say 20mins, God help me.
5) Internal memory is another BIG disappointment, it's simply impossible to install a few additional apps to those shipped with the phone.
6) Talking of disappointments, the camera is the train.

Support WhatsApp,

check my previous post. Your expectations are much easier to offset.
Re: Help Me Make A Choice Of Phone: by walcolm(m): 9:04am On Aug 30, 2012
geniusbami: I'm in the same dilema, I'm currently using Samsung Galaxy Young S6102, which is quite good with all my necessary applications, but it has the following grave limitations, which has necessitated the urgent need for another one to make up for the shortcomings:

1) Data consumption extremely HIGH; 15MB lasts 24hrs max.- if you are really serious about using a smartphone, consuming just 15MB for 24hrs is a serious joke. even blackberry with best in class data mgt will use more than 15mb of data in a day unless you limit yourself to email, IM and occasional use of social apps
2) ----
3) Closely related to that, up to 12 apps run in the background; WhatsApp I understand but the rest are absolutely out of my control amd it's turning me nuts. - its your job as the end user to learn how to turn off your apps. all apps can be 'killed' aka exited when you are done using them, you should read the manual that came with your phone to learn how to do that..or just ask someone
5) Internal memory is another BIG disappointment, it's simply impossible to install a few additional apps to those shipped with the phone. - you need to clarify on this. the phone has close to 500MB of RAM and for the price point, it doesnt seem unreasonable.
6) Talking of disappointments, the camera is the train. - at 3MP, what were you expecting nah...dont forget that its all relative...before >5MP cameras came, 3MP was the greatest. so if you compare the quality with higher resolution it will seem to be bad but its not...again, the issue of price point

Support WhatsApp,

based on your requirements, get a BB but you wont get a BB that will do what you want at 40k

(1) (Reply)

Can BIS Work On Nokia Phones/java Phone? / Hot Sale Of Power Bank / Very Good Play Station Portable (psp) For Sale,very Cheap Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.