Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him (5616 Views)

A Die Hard Buhari Supporter Who Can No Longer Defend Him / Rear-admiral Alison Madueke (rtd) Flies In Legal Team To Defend His Wife Diezani / Buhari Orders Keyamo To Step Down From Prosecuting Timipre Sylva - Breakingtimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by Demdem(m): 10:03am On Aug 29, 2012
Haunted By His Past, Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him

These are not the best of times for Doyin Okupe, a medical doctor recently hired by President Goodluck Jonathan to step into the role of presidential “attack dog.” Since his appointment, Mr. Okupe has faced a barrage of criticism over his involvement in several contract scams. At least two state governments, Imo and Benue, have accused the new presidential aide of failing to execute contracts that were awarded to his company.

The criticisms have taken a toll on Mr. Okupe’s integrity, calling his suitability to be a public official to question.

“It’s honestly embarrassing that the Presidency would appoint somebody like Dr. Okupe as a special assistant to the President on public communications without vetting his credentials and examining his past,” said a vocal civic rights advocate based in Abuja.

Mr. Okupe, who once served as spokesperson for former President Olusegun Obasanjo, is accused of bolting away with N634m worth of contract in Benue State when George Akume was the governor of the state. The Benue State Commissioner of Works and Transport, Benjamin Ashaver, has said that the state has reported Mr. Okupe to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for recovery of the mobilization fees paid to Okupe’s company for work that was never done.

Last Sunday, the embattled Mr. Okupe hosted several bureau chiefs of media houses in his hotel room at Hilton Hotel, Abuja. A source familiar with the meeting told SaharaReporters that the presidential aide told the reporters that he wanted their cooperation in the midst of widespread attacks questioning his integrity.

The source revealed that Mr. Okupe was visibly rattled when one reporter asked him to explain what he knew about the contract. “Having carefully selected those who were invited to the parley, Dr. Okupe did not expect the question and showed that he was taken aback,” said our source. Mr. Okupe merely said he had hired a Lagos-based legal practitioner, Festus Keyamo, to issue a statement on the matter. He stated that Mr. Keyamo’s statement would be released by Monday.

“My lawyer, Festus Keyamo, will speak on the matter, please. For now, let me face my job,” he told the reporters.

However, a source in the Benue State government told SaharaReporters that Mr. Okupe has no credible defense for taking the state’s funds and then absconding. “If he’s claiming that Keyamo is going to issue a statement, he is merely begging for time, hoping that Nigerians will soon forget about the matter,” the source asserted.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/haunted-his-past-okupe-may-hire-keyamo-defend-him

2 Likes

Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by Chanchit: 10:40am On Aug 29, 2012
If its true that Keyamo is defending Mr Okupe, then he's also a thief, lets forget the fact that he's a lawyer, if we look at what he stands for, when it comes to gov't spendings, then he should not be the one defending Mr Okupe...
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by Biggyd2: 3:17pm On Aug 29, 2012
Didn't I say in another thread that he needs a good lawyer to share his 'armed robber' salary with. Keyamo doesn't come cheap. Man must wack! Work dey for Keyamo shaa. It won't be easysad.
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by Demdem(m): 3:43pm On Aug 29, 2012
I dont think Keyamo can succeed in this one. the dog, Okupe is a thief.
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by Vegetablesoup: 3:49pm On Aug 29, 2012
his mouth not wided enough to defending himself? non.sense
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by gbanikiti(m): 3:50pm On Aug 29, 2012
I will surely loose my respect for Festus Keyamo if he defends that criminal undecided
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 29, 2012
Welcome to Nigeria, the petroleum driven economy that mints Billionaires out of government contracts.... grin grin grin grin
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 29, 2012
Doyin okupe is a thief,i don't blame him,i blame his employer cos his employer that is mostly on the bad books of nigerians is adding more to his plate.#God is watching them all on 3D
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by stolenstone: 4:04pm On Aug 29, 2012
this Okupe guy should tender his resignation letter na!! The guy na DOA, e neva even start work, scandals and his past is already hunting after him. If u're innocent then slug it out in court otherwise Abeg free us make we tackle pressing issues wey dey gredge us
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by juman(m): 4:40pm On Aug 29, 2012
He should resign and face his fraudulent past.

The attack lion become the attacked. grin grin. The God is wonderful.
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by quiverfull(m): 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2012
It is amazing that president Goodluck hasn't terminated this man's appointment. I struggle to find words to describe this. A man was awarded contracts in 2004, and it comes to light in 2012 that he didn't execute the job and he still remains a spokesperson for him! Now he is saying he wants to refund the monies. Just like that? Haba! Jonathan just seems to have an endless supply of obviously corrupt people: the customs boss Dikko with forged credentials, the minister of petroleum resources Dieziani who spent over 200 Billion Naira on Kerosene subsidy without appropriation, and there is Oteh...that one is even strange and inexplicable . The secretary to the FG in the letter he wrote to re-instate her after it was obvious she had bribed federal lawmakers and mismanaged public funds, grudginly admitted that she was incompetent...i can go on, the list is so long. I pray that pastor Bakare's prophecy comes true that there will be an election before 2015. This utterly cluesless and stinkingly corrupt administration needs to be changed.

5 Likes

Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by hardywaltz(m): 5:13pm On Aug 29, 2012
From attack dog to an attack lion now what is he now an attack tortoise.
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by a1solution: 7:16pm On Aug 29, 2012
we are watchdog all the drama
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by Soulcaine(m): 9:37pm On Aug 29, 2012
gbanikiti: I will surely loose my respect for Festus Keyamo if he defends that criminal undecided

innocent until proven guilty!
Dont like okupe tho,but the law supercedes my opinions
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by gunuvi(m): 9:47pm On Aug 29, 2012
Why do we easily conclude in Naija?
Let's wait and see the accusers from Benue come out clean too. If Okupe from Ogun state chop N634m, the governor go don chop N634b....what a sick country.
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by friedrice1: 10:16pm On Aug 29, 2012
haven't heard about Keyamo wining any case he handled, so whats so special about him?
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by WINFORTH: 6:51am On Aug 30, 2012
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't keyamo represent the EFCC?...
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by Demdem(m): 7:04am On Aug 30, 2012
^^^

In some cases he does.
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by oge4real(f): 8:04am On Aug 30, 2012
Does Keyamo even win cases? Abeg let both of them go and take chair jare.
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by bigmaut: 9:27pm On Sep 04, 2012
why did Gej hire a thief 2 mouth-fire for him,if u live in glass house dont throw stone okupe yu tink yu hav a loaded canon critics have weapon of mouth destruction(W.M.D)grin grin grin
Re: Okupe May Hire Keyamo To Defend Him by Demdem(m): 4:48am On Sep 05, 2012
bigmaut: why did Gej hire a thief 2 mouth-fire for him,if u live in glass house dont throw stone okupe yu tink yu hav a loaded canon critics have weapon of mouth destruction(W.M.D)grin grin grin

Probably because he is also a thief.

(1) (Reply)

Ghana Is Too Poor To Be Called A Country!! / Dino Melaye Mocks APC Congresses That Produced 72 State Chairmen Nationwide / Oshiomhole: From Workers' Champion To Senator-Elect - Omo-Ikirodah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.