Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,847 members, 7,828,077 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? (10016 Views)

Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? / What Movie Do You Never Get Tired Of Watching / I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Seun(m): 10:27pm On Jan 03, 2008
Yes. A list of good Nigerian movies and/or the kind of movies you want Nigerian producers to make.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by davidif: 10:29pm On Jan 03, 2008
Like i said earlier there is so much to content to write or focus on  in our movies that we don't even need special effects, the drama and eccentricities in Naija daily live is enough to make an international hit, so why do we focus on unnecessary content.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by janami(f): 10:32pm On Jan 03, 2008
a simple definition girl (and please liken it to the "crappy" movie we are talking about )

see, total war shows that nigerian script writers are atleast trying now
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by almondjoy(f): 10:41pm On Jan 03, 2008
Realistic movies with genuine theatrical ablities. Good story lines without "husband snatching themes or barreness".-----No cultism with quest for wealth----with some ugly, country looking, hungry dudes in search of wealth--sucking mammy water breasts!!!!! cheesy No fake phonetics. Does not matter the language spoken.

Quality products well edited for superior audio-visuals.---DVD formats not VCD!!!!!

Definitely not horror movies or "Occultic" movies with Pete Edochie and Kanayo O. Kanayo in any of them.  Yuck!!!

Yes! And those bloody "juju" movies need to go too!

DEFINITELY MOVIES THAT HAVE JUST PART ONE!!!!------We do not want parts 2 to 100, thanks!
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by janami(f): 10:42pm On Jan 03, 2008
seun, i think almpnd joy has given u ur answer o
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by EmekaNaija(m): 11:25pm On Jan 03, 2008
I want producers to make more movies on some notable Nigerian characters. The way we have the movies such as Malcom X, Nelson Mandela that promotes the ideals the characters stood for, we should also have movies such as : Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, Obafemi Awolowo, Atiku Abubakar, Murtala Muhammad, Herbert Macauley, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Chima Ubani, and Fela Anikulapo Kuti. These are true Nigerian heroes anyday. These movies should pry into these men's lives to discover how and why they chose their selected path in life, and it could also serve as direction to most of our youths that have completely lost focus of the future.

I thought i could go into these forms of movies but for one factor or the other, i keep procrastinating. Our movie producers can do us all a lot of good by producing more of these type of movies.

I also would like Chinua Achebe to produce "Things fall apart " [/b]and [b]" A Man of the People" in movie format. It should win some movie awards.

Just my thoughts.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by anusule(m): 12:28am On Jan 04, 2008
only mainframe productions should be allowed to make movies. undecided grin angry
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by DisGuy: 12:33am On Jan 04, 2008
@Emeka
I saw an advert about the NAFDAC woman Dora akinyuli*, i think its called the patriot dont know how the films is though looks a bit watery from the advert

Another thing with those kind of the films especially in our Nigeria is that the teller will basically be accused of promoting his own people- telling his own side of the story, similar to what you read about people who wrote books on the biafrian war.

Quality products well edited for superior audio-visuals.---DVD formats not VCD!!!!!
always wondered why they cant just copy films unto DVDs it easier to handle and its almost the same process!

a typical movie that you edit into maximum 2 hours takes about 9months to 18 months
you can make 113 movies within that period!!! you are wasting E go!!! cool
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:47am On Jan 04, 2008
anusule:

only mainframe productions should be allowed to make movies. undecided grin angry

Lol I agree.  tongue

Junami, I don't know what tribe you are but the movies that I usually find to be worthy of praise tend to be Yoruba. They tend to have more movies that deal with historical references, There's one whose title I've forgotten that had to do with the history of Oyo State, very well done.

Nigeria has alot of history, why can't they consider that? What's wrong with a movie based on the civil war? The coup? Why hasnt any director come out to do a movie based on Half Yellow Sun? We have brilliant authors, why can't their books be transformed to film. What's wrong with an autobiography based on Fela's life? His time in prision? What his mother went thru etc? My grandmother knew his mom very well, her story alone is enough to be a movie. Why cant people just be bloody creative?
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by imaibehe(f): 3:27am On Jan 04, 2008
[color=#770077][/color]@joshjosh

wow i feel u!
d whole sumary is that they rush in producing their movies at d expense of quality, they aint realistic at all- u kd imagine omotola wearing the same hairdo 4 ova 10yrs,same story lines- which eventually u kud predict the end from the beginin. Gosh am tired of naija movies sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Seun(m): 7:34am On Jan 04, 2008
Some people don't have any constructive suggestions. Rather, they prefer to rant and rave and condemn.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by janami(f): 10:11am On Jan 04, 2008
@TOH i am edo but i watch yoruba movies very well. Infact, some times more than english films. To correct u, total war is all about the plight of a Nigerian missionary family in liberia. I love the twist of the movie. The script writer skillfully interwive liberia and nigeria together.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Seun(m): 10:12am On Jan 04, 2008
@joshjosh: We are not talking about money or controls, we are talking about the kind of movie you want Nigerians to make. It's not a Nollywood bashing thread. I will remove all offtopic posts eventually.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by niceuzor: 10:15am On Jan 04, 2008
@janami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnjPAiZPZDk
i agree with what you're saying you can check out
the Trailer,this movie is da boom. cheesy
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by YungDoc(m): 11:46am On Jan 04, 2008
The Nigerian Movie Industry really needs to step their game up to the next level, we are tired of seeing the same crap they are producing over and over.If I could be a film producer in future and I had the money I would do a crazy action or horror film that would be up to international standards.Nollywood is still waitin for its breakthrough,
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Seun(m): 2:09pm On Jan 04, 2008
Yeah. Quality is the main problem, but that doesn't mean we don't have genre preferences. For example, I only watch comedies and action movies with happy endings. I will not watch a depressing horror movie, no matter how "good" they say it is. My sibling only watches football matches and action or sports movies. My parent only watches gospel movies - romance movies are too 'immoral' and action movies are 'senseless and violent'. The entire family regularly watches low budget gospel movies by Mount Zion Faith ministries, and they enjoy them with no complaints. So the true story may be bigger than that. Also, certain genres may attract a larger audience, hypothetically.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Iranoladun(f): 3:18pm On Jan 04, 2008
@Seun
Yeah.  Quality is the main problem, but that doesn't mean we don't have genre preferences.  For example, I only watch comedies and action movies with happy endings.  I will not watch a depressing horror movie, no matter how "good" they say it is.  My sibling only watches football matches and action or sports movies.  My parent only watches gospel movies - romance movies are too 'immoral' and action movies are 'senseless and violent'.  The entire family regularly watches low budget gospel movies by Mount Zion Faith ministries, and they enjoy them with no complaints.  So the true story may be bigger than that.   Also, certain genres may attract a larger audience, hypothetically.

[/color] As said earlier in my post, quality and not genre is the main focus for me whenever I want to watch a Nigerian film.  As you pointed out in your post above, people have diverse preferences when it comes to genre this means good quality movie is a hot cake anytime[/i][color=#006600].  Most Naija movies do not have genre classification on the jacket/sleeve of the VCD/DVD/Video Cassette or a summary of what the movie is based on; all you see are the heads/photographs of the celebrities faces in the movie (even if it is a one minute act) super imposed on each other.  I would rather see scenes from the movie on the sleeves/jacket with a summary.

I like film like Ti Oluwa ni Ile, O leku, Thunderbolt, Ija Orogun (by Ade love), Taxi Driver (by Ade love), Hubert Ogunde's film (Aye etc).  I will also like to see more film on the history/happenings in Nigeria, like some folks suggested Uthman Dan Fodio, Queen Amina, Hubert Macaulay, Nnamdi Azikwe, Obafemi Awolowo, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Madam Tinubu, Mrs. Funmilayo Ransome Kuti, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, The Nigerian Civil War, Buhari/Idi Agbon regime, Abacha Era, IBB, (even Baba Iyabo grin) adaptation of popular novel or story into movie- Things Fall Apart, Ireke Onibudo, Wole Soyinka's books.  These in addition to story from everyday happenings around us e.g. story based on Oshodi-Lagos, Abuja life, tourist spots, Undergraduate life (with real undergraduate playing the roles) etc

See my earlier post below:

(There are so many things wrong with Naija movies; from the choice of actors to actresses (some are just used due to their so called celebrity status irrespective of whether they match/fit the role or not), choice of costumes, locations, editing and the story/script itself.  A good movies is the one that is so real/got you so carried away that you hardly remember it is a movie.  When you watch Naija movies you cannot but get separated from the movies due to so many errors; someone who is supposed to be mourning but in a party dress with freshly made up face, a rich man living in a shabby house or driving a rickety car (or like someone said an old woman acting the role of a school girl),  the list is endless.

Very very few Naija movies are really good (professionally speaking).  I like most of the Mainframe video/film (Yoruba), they always go to great length to ensure they get the right costumes, locations, actors and actresses for their scenes.

If acting, directing, editing (in fact the whole gamut of movie industry) will only be manned/done by professionals we would surely rake in a lot of money locally and from the international community.  [i]We are a country with a very rich culture/history from North to South, East to West.

As for your question Seun, I will simply tell the man/woman to produce professional films/video bearing in mind all that I have pointed out above.  It really does not matter whether it is comedy, satire, tragedy, historical, thriller, detective movies/film, I want value for my money!)
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:22pm On Jan 04, 2008
Seun many examples have been giving.

Respectful books by Nigerian authors should be transformed on to the big screen. Movies like "Ray" can be done for Fela and many other Nigerian musicians. There are various things that can be done if they cared. They figure that since their low quality predictable garbage is selling like hotcajkes, why step it up. Greed is their problem in the industry.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by thimbook2(m): 4:30pm On Jan 04, 2008
lemme bring a li'll diversion to the gist,

how long do you think it'll take before we get to see a simple, even if its just a crackhead version, Sci-fi movie, ?

I guess by the time all our grandson would have grown beards grin
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Busta(f): 4:42pm On Jan 04, 2008
combrazor:

there's already been at least one sci-fi movie, Jeta Amata's Alien Attack

and yes, it was some crackhead schitt, but it was a sci-fi movie nonetheless!

Are u serious? Nigerian movie called Alien Attack??
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Busta(f): 4:45pm On Jan 04, 2008
combrazor:

yes, i've never seen actually seen it, but i've heard so much about it: like how they used bald albinos to play the aliens!

lol grin
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by obecha(f): 5:43pm On Jan 04, 2008
hey, l am a great fan of naija movies and l am not ashamed of admiting it, l actually spend my hard earned money to buy them apart from being a member of two video clubs. In fact, we are the folks keeping down in business and we are happy to be part of their success stories. l wonder why typical nigerians find them boring, the films are always electrifying- there is always something to learn, laugh or even cry about them and now l cannot remember the last time l sat down to watch a foreign hollywood film apart from the sitcoms.

Please lets not be too hard on our naija movies, they are trying in their own way, I particularly love to unwind watching them, yes take it that part of the fun is picking out the mistakes within, the good news is that they are improving by the day,

as for the complaints about their themes, unfortunately, those are the familiar issues confronting us;- from the get-rich quick syndrome, to husband snatching, occult, barreness, blah blah etc. regretably, all of these are challenges before us here, the problem with our elitist breed is that you people keeping using hollywood as a yardstick for them. both are distinct and separate environments.

to tell you the truth, l personally cannot stand watching the so-called hollywood foreign movies cos the issues and plots are just not in terms with my naija psyche- forgive me-but their white faces just turn me off, their westernised plot is just too plastic for my liking e.g actors will drink coffee /tea 100 times in between each sentence is boring.(mind you l can perfectly comprehend their oyinbo accent-so its not a case of one illiterate viewer who cannot understand their accent.)  

now give me my naija films any day, l love their razzmattaz, glamour, the interior decor of the houses, the actresses well-adorned even whilst cooking or sleeping, the light-headed but engaging story lines, they showcase everything about us for now-the good,  the bad and the ugly.  

Now to answer your question proper, l'd like to see glamourised modern day nigerian movie l can identify with, dealing on the present day to day issues confronting the average nigerian bordering on subject matters on love, family, money matters, religion, etc.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by blacklion(m): 7:51pm On Jan 04, 2008
Nollywood movies are not made for the likes of you peeps here. You can rant and rave and moan and whine all you like but there are hundreds of thousands of peeps in Nigeria and across Africa and the diaspora who are paying good money for these films and keeping the producers in business.

Any one who is aggrieved should quit whining on the internet, roll up his/her sleeves and go find the money to produce the type of movie you claim to like. Don't be surprised if the aje botas in naija still refuse to pay money watch your historical/cultural movies.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jan 04, 2008
@ obecha

We are not against propagating the naija lifestyle, we just want quality, quality, quality. I am Igbo but it is only the Yoruba movies that is trying to make themselves better in the aspect of quality. You might enjoy the movies but it is not worthy of an international award. If you have a good storyline, good script writing, good delivery of lines from actors llike Joke Silva (and those that cannot speak english speaking their language instead), but no camera/sound quality, then we are only back to ground zero.

I know this is not a nollywood bashing thread but I went to my cousin's house this new year and they happened to have a huge tray of nollywood movies, I could not boast of good movie with good camera/sound quality even with the likes of Ramsey Noah, Stella Damascus etc. in the movie.

We also need to have a critics organization whereby crap would be labelled as crap so that people would be beware and buy at your own risk.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Seun(m): 8:20pm On Jan 04, 2008
We are not against propagating the naija lifestyle, we just want quality, quality, quality.
Nice answer to the topic's question. Can you help us by fully describing the quality you're looking for? Thanks.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jan 04, 2008
@ blacklion

Can our movies compete internationally? Or is nollywood against success and progress? We are the consumers and we demand better.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Seun(m): 9:00pm On Jan 04, 2008
We are the consumers and we demand better.
What do you demand? Apart from what's been already mentioned on this thread? Thanks!
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 04, 2008
Seun:

Nice answer to the topic's question. Can you help us by fully describing the quality you're looking for? Thanks.

I happened to watch a movie "Yellow card" a few years back. It is an African movie and I was deeply impressed. It was clear on my screen. The colour was sharp. Good delivery of lines. The song playing in the background did not overshadow the actors lines. I did not see the director's hand waving at the actors while watching the movie. I did not see the reflection of a person in the mirror when you as the viewer know that there ought to be no other person in the room but the actors. I am not a filmographer but Nollywood should please update their cameras. Nigerian directors need to make research, go back to school even ask fellow South Africans how they make their movies movies not homevideos. You would agree with me there's a difference. If we do not want to compete internationally then we should not improve.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Seun(m): 9:16pm On Jan 04, 2008
Very nice. Let me translate your requests to action points for filmmakers:
1) Clear and sharp images - i.e. use DVD instead of VCD and light properly.
2) Good delivery of lines - this means more rehearsals, good casting, and careful directors.
3) Good audio and music dubbing - record dialogue carefully and employ audio editors.
4) Avoid goofs that impede the suspension of disbelief - happens in Hollywood too!

You can tell them what you want to see, but you can't really prescribe the solutions (cam, etc). They're the experts! wink
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 04, 2008
@ Seun
You put my novice words into the right terminologies associated with film.
But if people keep praising nollywood and continue being content with half baked goods, nollywood would not change.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by nikegolden(f): 9:48pm On Jan 04, 2008
if you are in the mood to retard your brain, watch Nigrian movies.
There is need to really improve our movie industry.

If well organized and structured, I'll go for suspense filled thrillers.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by joshjosh(m): 11:07pm On Jan 04, 2008
I don't know if any of you saw the pot of life some years ago by NTA Benin. i don't know how much it cost them but it was a beautiful story cleverly executed that went ahead to win international award. i watched a copy of it on VHS video recently boy you just want to applaud the guys who did it. the girl aimiuwu was probably about 12 years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria's Nollywood Eclipsing Hollywood In Africa / Silent Scandal: Another Big Nollywood Hit Premiers In Lagos / 3g Wifi With Gprs Sim Card Hd Satellite Reciever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.