Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,927 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy (5564 Views)

Opinion: How Comedian A.Y Should Tackle The 30 Days In Atlanta Piracy. / Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? / What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 8:32am On Mar 08, 2007
Seun you are talking of a regulated industry abroad while Naija is unregulated. Piracy is no 1 enemy for movie makers in Naija.
I can singlehandedly solve the problem of piracy in Nigeria. In the US, the movie and music industries fights piracy by recruiting lawyers to prosecute them. This could easily be done in Nigeria. The copyright laws are very clear on what is legal and what is illegal. So why haven't Nigerian marketers done the same thing. Because they are pirates themselves! All it takes is 2 or 3 major marketers who are not pirates to hire a lawyer and go after the pirates!
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by gbadex1(m): 9:25am On Mar 08, 2007
Lol, and you think it's that easy? No be naija we dey?
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 9:50am On Mar 08, 2007
If there is something big movie marketers have, it is money. With money and justice on your side, you can't fail.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 8:43am On Mar 09, 2007
adconline :
awyers can prosecute, but cannot deliver justice. lawyers can prosecute but cannot enforce the law. This sounded like Naija we are looking forward to living in. As for now, e no dey possible to stop piracy.

That's a typically Nigerian response: giving excuses instead of pushing for a simple solution. The Nigerian legal system works pretty well against non-political criminals if the prosecutor has enough money to push forward.

If a pirate fails to appear before a court when summoned, our police will only be very happy to arrest him (and loot his property in the name of searching for evidence). That favors the filmmakers, so let's stop giving excuses.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by scribe(m): 3:10pm On Mar 09, 2007
lol
@all
Let the one that has never benefited from pirated material cast the first stone.
In Nigeria, it is had to find one that has not offended one way or the other as far as piracy is concern.
I think what should be done first is to address the issue of poverty that makes it almost impossible for Nigerians to buy genuine product.
Stealing is actually not a welcome virtue in our culture. However, abject poverty can turn the best of gentleman into a rogue.
Even if you claim you do not buy pirated materials, what about the business centres and cybercafes that you patronise. If you have ever patronised one that uses pirated Microsoft Softwares, then you have helped the pirates. I personally don't see the difference between pirated movie and pirated softwares. They both are stolen intellectual properties.
Well, we thank God that nobody has been able to pirate Nairaland yet grin grin grin

"Even if dey try, dem go fail".
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 3:35pm On Mar 09, 2007
Ok, I see the problem. The problem is that most of us are petty pirates.

When you want to attack piracy, you do not start by attacking the end-consumer, because there are too many of them and that will be bad PR. You attack those who are making money through piracy first. You attack the commercial pirates that mass-produce VCDs and dump them in the market at ridiculously low prices. When those ones are in jail or busy paying their hefty legal fines, then you can start educating petty pirates like the average Nigerian.

If there is no pirated VCD in the market for petty pirates to buy, they will be forced to repent. Piracy won't be worth their time and effort at that point. They won't be so desperate because they're not making money from it.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Brymore(m): 3:40pm On Mar 09, 2007
Seun:

I can singlehandedly solve the problem of piracy in Nigeria.

I don't think you can do it singlehandedly, you need the cooperation of other Nigerians, and you have to consider the fact that the attraction of getting stuff cheaper than they should ordinarily be is really strong in Nigeria (think of how many fake(pirated) shoes and bags, even designer clothes we have in Nigeria, if e dey possible to pirate person, them for don do am now).

Seun:

Because they are pirates themselves! All it takes is 2 or 3 major marketers who are not pirates to hire a lawyer and go after the pirates!

I totally agree with you that the marketers are pirates, even some radio stations connive with the pirates to make copies of songs that and videos that are meant to be for air-play only. And yes, this is Nigeria, how do you know the marketers that are not pirates? For me, I think it is only possible if they are put in a situation where they will have no option other than to get lawyers and fight the pirates.

#Candid Submission#
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Blow(m): 3:48pm On Mar 09, 2007
Piracy is a systemic problem in nigeria
and other third world countries.

first and foremost, proffer solution to
poverty, unemployment and low standard
of living.

Others like piracy will take care of themselves.

You can recruit SANs and get court judgement
but you wont stop those boys in Alaba
and computer village from surviving

Neither will you stop that young hip-hop/rap
aficionado from getting a pirated Eminem, JayZ
or Tupac Compact Disc for just a few nairas.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by mummykia: 3:57pm On Mar 09, 2007
Scribe, I agree with u absolutely. Poverty is the main issue here.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by scribe(m): 4:21pm On Mar 09, 2007
@all
Now we are hitting the nail on the head.
We all as decent people will love to display copies of genuine intellectual works in our library. We will love to show off that our softwares and music CD or DVD are genuine. Once we can afford to buy the genuine ones.
Also, let us not forget that pirated cds or dvd are never of the same quality with the original ones.
The materials used for pirated products are usually cheap and almost worthless. You never get value for money. The reason why they enjoy patronage is because the content of those cheap discs are mostly digital. So once you're able to get it off the disc into your computer or mp3 player, you won't really care if the cd last for just a month or a week.
However, if poverty is addressed. Nobody will be willing to invest hard earned money into worthless discs.

Let me share a little real life story with you all.

Some years ago, (I can't really remember how many years). I received a mail from my cousin who reside in London. He told me that he just had a major disaster. His computer crashed cheesy
Men it sounded ridiculous to me. That computer crash could be termed a disaster. My reasoning then being that, what does it cost to reformat a hard disk and reload all the softwares (I was thinking "boy you only loose your data and that's all"wink But I was dead wrong. My cousin was lamenting because some of the softwares on the computer were going to cost him some good pounds sterling to replace. He cannot afford to be caught using pirated softwares like is often done in Nigeria.

Nigerians are hardworking and we have dignity and integrity. If our leaders are sincere, piracy will be a thing of the past without much effort. I remember the fact that when I was in Primary school, you never hear of anyone talking about buying a second hand vehicle. We love QUALITY. We love doing the right things. But unfortunately, we've been having terrible, greedy and insatiable leaders who have almost succeeded in changing our moral values as a society.

May God help Nigeria. I love Nigeria and I am proud of Nigerians.

@Seun
I agree with you that we cannot just sit down and fold our hands. Complaining and doing nothing amounts to foolishness. Keep up the good work. You can never tell, a word here, a suggestion there will go a long way in moving us closer to the solution.

Long live Nigeria
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by kelvin(m): 4:48pm On Mar 09, 2007
@scribe
We can't wait for our leaders to keep doing everything for us. It affects the people more than it does the leaders and remember, we also have a part to play in governance. Thats why we have associations to look into the matter of piracy. There are alot of bodies set up to look into the matters like this, so they should get most of the knocks and not the leaders.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by segedoo(m): 5:27pm On Mar 09, 2007
go ahead and let's see. i no dey doubt person.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by loungr(m): 6:08pm On Mar 09, 2007
The issue really is reasonable pricing, if a medium is priced in such a manner that the populace can easily afford and the masses are educated on the benefits of staying away from pirates copy piracy will cease to be profitable

Big movie companies in america will never win the war against piracy because of their own greed
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by sisimose(f): 6:09pm On Mar 09, 2007
who said there arent millions of pirate hollywood movies? cheesy
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by akara(m): 8:36pm On Mar 09, 2007
shocked

Piracy is not poverty, its more of "wickedness and illiteracy".
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Blow(m): 8:58pm On Mar 09, 2007
A way to fight piracy is by making the
price of pirated commodities affordable
to the generality of nigerians

Nigerian music CDs is in the range
now 100 - 150 naira
So it makes it affordable for a lot
of people.
I dont see many nigerian pirated
music Cds around again unlike when it
used to cost 500/800 naira
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by opeyemi(m): 9:27pm On Mar 09, 2007
I think Seun is very even though that will not totally solve the problem of piracy in Nigeria.There are many other things that should be done including the solution profered by seun.

Looking at the problem as mentioned by you guys; yes, it is very true that poverty is a mojor cause. But you may ask yourself that what is been used by the consumers to watch or listen to this pirated CD's. does it mean that they by and keep them in their shelves for fancy? Where are the softwares installed for use? That means that they have the devices to enjoy the CD's bought. Invariably they have the money to buy CD/DVD players, Decks and even computers (even thuogh they may be toks).

Looking at this devices; some even buy sofisticated ones bought but will never buy original CD's for them. Of course, no one is a fool that will see a cheap thing and waste the money on expensive ones that will not do better. even if it will, 10 to 15 pirated can equal to 1 original. and how long will I use 10 pirated?, Infact till thy kingdom come!.

Solution:
1.The movie makers and marketers should sought for how to make the CD's considerably as cheap as the pirated. I mean if the pirates mass-produce to gain economy of scale advantage, let the marketers do thesame. then you and i who are quite good at heart will buy them because they are readily available and cheap. e.g. pirated movie goes for =N=150@alaba andother places while original )with seal of authenticity) go for btw 200 and 300 naira, believe it that majority will buy original because they are confident that it is original and and will last longer than the pirated. For show-off reasons aswell(and trust nigerians for that), we will want to buy the original.

2.Also, one of the things that gave the pirates power is that the CD's are spread all over the place (well distributed). So the movie makers and marketers should make the cheap originals available everywhere anywhere including go-slow and even the pirates. For instance, I dont know where to get original CD's yet in lagos even when I want to buy them. I have been looking for Bouqui's original album but couldnt get it. I even sometime ago posted this on this forum but no reply.
The business is very lucrative for the pirates that is why they are still in it. But if the makers and marketers flood the markets with original and cheap products then they will make the business less atractive for the pirates.

3. Apply seuns solution by arresting and prosecuting the pirates.

4.Seek govt. support in terms of quick justice and the enabling laws to destroy the pirates.

5.They can also involve the pirates by seling the masters to them at an amout that they would have made their profit  and let the pirates enjoy the selling and making profits as well. This method is what I call the american style. Invole the criminal in the case so that everyone will be a winner. The truth is that many people are surviving from this business of piracy that is why it may be quite difficult to stop it. But if they too are part of the plan, then they will give you rest. Yoruba pple says that "whoever will not make you satisfied with your food, you should prepare some food for him as well.

6. I know the producers are trying to do somethings to cub the pirates that is why they now license video clubs who pay big to rent out videos. But then, even though this should still be maintained, they should still apply the 1st 5 solutions which will reduce the population and rate of movie rental. Beacuse everyone can now aford the original anytime, then they will prefer to buy than rent so that they can watch for the 2nd, 3rd and 10rh time without paying more.

I know that my proposal will require alot of money on the part of the producers and marketers to execute, but then "whatever is whorth doing is worth doing well" If it is your source of income, then guide and protect it well. I learnt that the Nollywood is worth some billions now and is about the 3rd largest inthe world (1st in africa). If so, then it is a serious business and shuold be made to progress. This I think is where the govt should be involved. Nigeria can earn foriegn revenue from entertainment and this will help the govt. Aterall, kenya makes foriegn income from tourism and their currency is more valuable than the Naira. Abbbahh!
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by gbadex1(m): 3:07am On Mar 10, 2007
I go with what loungr and opeyemi says.

I believe the main reasons why piracy still flourishes is because of:

* the issue of affordable/reasonable pricing of CDs. Cut the prices down, but make it slightly higher than the pirated ones, Nigerians would go after it like agberos go after hookers. . .

* the issue of distribution comes in mind when we talk about reasonable pricing of CDs. Let's face it, Pirates are more organized than Original Marketers when it comes to the distribution of CDs. For close to 2 years, i've been looking for the original of Rooftop Mcs' "Shock Therapy". Hell, can't even find the pirated. Thing is, Wide Area of Distribution, Reduced prices goes a longer way in curbing those sorry ass pirates.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by la1(m): 8:45am On Mar 10, 2007
i vote opeyemi  4president  grin dude obviously knows wat  hes talkin abt
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 8:51am On Mar 10, 2007
Well, my own point is that one can solve it and even make profits in the process, as a private sector initiative.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by cosby(m): 9:07am On Mar 10, 2007
seun,
how are you?
do you know what i was actually expecting from you on the issue of stopping piracy in nigeria, i thought you were going to design a software that would make all original rolled out cds to be undubbable which is what am working on presently.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 9:10am On Mar 10, 2007
Any undubbable CD will also be unplayable. The moment you can play it, someone will be able to dub it!
Piracy isn't a technological problem; it's a market problem. One needs to tackle those profiting most from it.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by gbadex1(m): 7:05pm On Mar 10, 2007
Actually the piracy issue's being tackled gradually. Nigerian musicians have learnt biter lessons from pirates and Alaba boys alike. Nowadays, they reduce their Cd prices, and distributions getting better. Hell, one of 'em pirates (name's skipped my name, but i know fo' shizzle it ain't Big Boss Jigga man) now distributes Cds legally for 'em artistes. There are some new distribution ventures that are helping 'em artistes. This is one way, but then this alone can't curb piracy. Seems them Lawsuits Seun mentioned come in handy! cheesy
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by gbadex1(m): 7:06pm On Mar 10, 2007
Actually the piracy issue's being tackled gradually. Nigerian musicians have learnt biter lessons from pirates and Alaba boys alike. Nowadays, they reduce their Cd prices, and distributions getting better. Hell, one of 'em pirates (name's skipped my name, but i know fo' shizzle it ain't Big Boss Jigga man) now distributes Cds legally for 'em artistes. There are some new distribution ventures that are helping 'em artistes. This is one way, but then this alone can't curb piracy. Seems them Lawsuits Seun mentioned come in handy! cheesy
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by PoDeep(m): 7:54pm On Mar 10, 2007
The pirate turned marketer.He's name's Tjoe.Dude's in money,mayn.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by software(m): 10:17pm On Mar 10, 2007
@Seun

I feel u Jare. Dont lets those ideas die. Bring them out. Am sure everybody on NL would Definately Support You. Good Luck
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by dblock(m): 12:35pm On Mar 12, 2007
@ Topic you can't, i won't let you grin

I burn movies i boorow from the library, i burn movies i rent from the video store, i download freely from limewire and other sources grin
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Blow(m): 4:17pm On Mar 12, 2007
You can see one of the culprits

Dont worry about him, he's in the minority
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by bigbumper(f): 4:21pm On Mar 12, 2007
@ Blow

Agree with you regarding poverty being one of the cause of privacy and bringing the price down, but it is not only a third world problem issue.

Here in the Uk you can get up to 5 films for £10 from chinese peeps, OR if you don't support the idea of piracy (like me grin grin) you can wait for about a year for the same film to come out at the cinema and then wait for another six months for it to go onto DVD, which can be bought for anything between £15 to £20 each.

Simply put it is greed on the part of the movie industry. What costs them less than a pound to make ends up in the shops for around £15 to £20 pounds.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Blow(m): 4:43pm On Mar 12, 2007
These Chinese guys!

Some Nigerian officials busted their piracy production warehouse
sometime last year. I dont know why they love that kind of business.

But I still believe they'll be out of business
if the price of the original is reduced.

I think the UK problem can be peculiar
considering the tax system over there.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 5:18pm On Mar 12, 2007
What costs them less than a pound to make ends up in the shops for around £15 to £20 pounds.
Yeye. So blockbusters like Lord Of The Rings and Spiderman 2 cost less than a pound to make? How?

But I still believe they'll be out of business if the price of the original is reduced.
Alas, that won't be enough. Pirates will always be able to offer a better price because they don't have to pay for the production of the movie. They don't have to pay scriptwriters, movie stars, directors, editors, etc!
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by dakmanzero(m): 11:32am On Mar 13, 2007
Actually, Seun, Cosby CAN suceed. Since it has been done before, I dont feel like I am letting the cat out of the bag by mentioning how it can be done.

You see, the problem is not that you don't want your cd to be copyable AT ALL. What you want is for the copies to NOT be perfect, or to be of sufficiently lower quality than the original that the original still retains its value.

The way you do this is by systematically introducing CRC and physical errors to stragegic parts of the disc. The positioning will be largely random but clustered about the middle. The end result is that it is difficult to play the music through a 'smart' player like a CD ROM drive, but a 'dumb' player like a CD ROM in audio CD mode or a CD playing deck will just skip over the errors and continue.

When you do this, the only way to copy the cd will be to grab it off the analogue lines (ie plug in a cable to the line out) and record elsewhere, either to tape or hard disk. There will be degradation due to the analogue copy- hence we have achieved our aim: the pirated copy is not as good as our original.

Of course if the original is of poor quality already there will be no difference!

Another method is the SONY rootkit method where you infect the user's pc with a trojan (read: VIRUS) that intercepts any attempt to copy and blocks it. SONY did this recently and had the pants sued off them. Proceed with caution as you may damage your reputation by doing this.

both these methods have been used already to protect game cd/dvds. Read: safedisc and securom for method 1, and the evil and horrendous starforce for method 2.

The final method is, of course, to realise that it is useless and daft to fight digital copying, and that an uncopyable orginal is in fact lower quality than a pirated copy, since i can use a pira cd to fill my ipod while your 'uncopyable' rubbish is only iuseful in a car deck, and to understand that the only way to fight piracy is to first realise that people copying for personal use (or even to give to their friends) are not your enemy, and that the alaba boys racketeering the shiznit ARE the culprits. Trace the professional pirates and jail them. Stop being lazy and/or stupid and stop persecuting the consumer or the pirates will become heroes. Look at what is happening to the US music industry.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Tv Jingles / Which Video Converter is best? / Yoruba Film Award: (for All Yoruba Film Lovers)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.