Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide (2883 Views)

Buhari's Panel Reveals When Jonathan Can Be Probed / How Buhari's Tenure Will End In 2019! (Written 2015) / Report: NNPC top mgt to go, accounts to be probed-Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 03, 2008
Adeniyi also ruled out any plan to raise a probe panel on the eight-year tenure of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, saying that such an action was not in tandem with the "philosophy of government" under President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua. -Guardian newspapers.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article01/030108

On the clamour for the probe of Obasanjo, Adeniyi said the action was not "in tandem with his (President's) philosophy of government. For a man who has been preaching due process and the rule of law, the idea of a probe is clearly out of the question. There are some issues we must first clarify, probe is a military terminology, a populist tendency to criminalize opponents, sometimes without hard evidence. The moment you say someone is being probed in Nigeria, you have already passed judgment on the character of the person who is deemed guilty until he can prove his innocence, a difficult task in such situation.

"No government committed to the rule of law as this one is would do that. What any responsible government does is that if there are clear cases of infractions, like abuse of office, such matters would be reported to the relevant agencies or the Attorney-General would file charges in court.

"I don't know what Obasanjo did that would warrant a probe panel being set up for people to now go and be making allegations that cannot stand in a court of law so he could be humiliated publicly. I know the former President is not popular with the media so I can understand the basis for the call. But let's be fair to the former President. While he is not perfect as none of us is, he did his very best for this country and doesn't deserve the current harassment."

@topic
One can now see that Ribadu was not allowed to do his job. And Yaradua may not be a saint after all.

Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by Kobojunkie: 4:17pm On Jan 03, 2008
wow!!!!
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by Bankole01(m): 4:31pm On Jan 03, 2008
Did any of you think or ever thought Yar'Adua (or dumb) has the backbone to do anything. The man don't even know how to be a real Nigerian politician by robbing his State and country blind. The man is a do nothing, ideas challenged cattle rearer in a fancy uniform.

The man is part of the problem in Nigeria and a whole-hearted conspirator in the in April (s)elections. He came out trying to deceive, spouting this " rule of law, order and probity" hogwash.
On the one hand, telling all the (s)elections were flawed, but doing everything to stay in office.

How can a president with no mandate, probe his benefactor?
Nigerians a very gullible and ignorant 'know it alls', who can't see beyond the bridge of their own noses.
In misguided patriotism fervor, we want peace and understanding of those who continously make rules against the people and continue to selv-serving. Yet, they find supporters among our people who should know better.

No one is indispensable and Ribadu had allowed himself to be used for political reasons in the past, he is however a lot better than any figure-head and puppet whop will be put in his place.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by Nobody: 5:28am On Jan 04, 2008
@bankole

You got it right. In as much as Ribadu had his own shortcomings, the next EFCC boss is likely to be a figure head, a puppet and finally a national disaster.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by cute9jaguy(m): 6:05am On Jan 04, 2008
@the topic,
lets watch,i strongly believe obasanjo will be probed,the next EFCC boss will suprise us all, this might be a prophecy.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by Kobojunkie: 7:35am On Jan 04, 2008
cute9jaguy:

@the topic,
lets watch,i strongly believe obasanjo will be probed,the next EFCC boss will suprise us all, this might be a prophecy.

Can we please stop attaching the word PROPHECY to practically anything?? LMAO!!!! It is beyond creepy now how we all think we have the future of Nigeria figured out in that way. I am watching this YarAdua dude and I hope this post is not for real. Maybe He is going to release a statement on sunday saying he was misquoted or something. grin
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by ndubest(m): 8:53am On Jan 04, 2008
Media assistant to the president may have been pointing out the "immediate" priorities of his boss

that does not mean that the activities of the last admin will not be looked into when the time is right
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by yemmight(m): 10:17am On Jan 04, 2008
Honestly, as the political events keep happening in recent days here, it appears to me that this President cannot firmly take decision take may impact either negative or positive on this nation.

Look at the posting of Ribadu. I am almost certain that the posting is not his wish, and yet he allows it passed. When Obj was leaving he increased the fuel prices, if Yaradua can take his decision, such prices could be reversed that time. Among the people short listed to succeed Ribadu is an associate of Ibori. What do you think that person will do to Ibori? These and some other issues affecting this country that require someone that is firm is actually lacking in Yaradua.

Please don’t be surprised that this nation may as well be governed by the same bad elements as we have them in the past eight years.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by cute9jaguy(m): 10:29am On Jan 04, 2008
hmmm,God knows where to catch them, lets sit back,fasten our sitbelts and watch them. Aluta continua,
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by adechuks(m): 10:34am On Jan 04, 2008
Segun Adeniyi, former Editor of ThisDay newspapers and now presidential spokesman per excellence -sic, surprises me though.
I remember his missiles while he wrote for ThisDay. He is finally showing that he is just another politician.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by cute9jaguy(m): 10:40am On Jan 04, 2008
I knew he was gonna change, power toxicates, remember.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by yemmight(m): 11:07am On Jan 04, 2008
Ade

You will not need to blame Adeniyi because the guy is just "The Prisedent Dog". Do you remember Akin Osuntokun when he was working for OBJ. That guy bites anybody who goes against The President like they will never separate. I remember him very well also as a critics when he was with the Media. So I can,t blame Segun for his comments now.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 04, 2008
Na wah oh.

Bankole01:

Did any of you think or ever thought Yar'Adua (or dumb) has the backbone to do anything. The man don't even know how to be a real Nigerian politician by robbing his State and country blind. The man is a do nothing, ideas challenged cattle rearer in a fancy uniform.

The man is part of the problem in Nigeria and a whole-hearted conspirator in the in April (s)elections. He came out trying to deceive, spouting this " rule of law, order and probity" hogwash.
On the one hand, telling all the (s)elections were flawed, but doing everything to stay in office.

How can a president with no mandate, probe his benefactor?

Yes I strongly believe Yaradua for all of his goodwill he lacks the sheer legitimacy to prosecute his predecessor.

The way forward should be to step down and conduct fresh elections.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by babasin(m): 11:39am On Jan 04, 2008
Yes I strongly believe Yaradua for all of his goodwill he lacks the sheer legitimacy to prosecute his predecessor.

did OBJ prosecute his predecessor?

You simply dont bite the hand that feeds you.

rather too late in the day. YARA-DULL is president and here to stay.

You should have shouted this last year when OBJ was selecting him!
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by fakande(m): 5:05pm On Jan 04, 2008
Obasanjo will definitely be probed. The corruption perpetrated under his watch is definitely too monumental to sweep under the carpet. The money he and his cohorts looted in the name of building new and refurbishing old roads and ensuring improvements in the energy sector is alarming. I may be wrong, but I view Ribadu's removal as a masterstroke by this Goverment as a precursor to initiating a silent probe into the affairs of Obasanjo. Ribadu, unfortunately had evolved into a media junkie who thrived on undue publicity which would be counter-productive. I see the appointment of a new EFCC chairman whose main focus would be on Obasanjo and the numerous shenanigans perpetrated by him and others at his behest.

But like I said earlier, I just may be wrong, my instincts tell me I'm not.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by BabsO2(m): 6:16pm On Jan 04, 2008
Baba tried his best. With all his achievements, probing him is sign of disrespect. Most of those shouting can only achieve a fraction of what Baba achieved should they have been the president from 1999 to 2007. cool
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by nikegolden(f): 9:43pm On Jan 04, 2008
wait till Ribadu is removed and tell me Obasanjo won't be removed.
mark my words.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by shinystar(m): 10:47pm On Jan 04, 2008
We should not forget that even OBJ did not start the anti-corruption until mid-way into his first term. Yar' Adua is a Fulani, most of whom are noted for tough decisions. He will act as soon as he has consolidated. I have no doubt Obj will be probed. It is only a matter of time.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 05, 2008
When is the Yaradua going to consolidate? In 8 years time?
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by Ezenwenyi(m): 4:11pm On Jan 05, 2008
OBASANJO MUST BE PROBED

The greatest mistake the Yar'adua led government will do is failing to probe Obasanjo the former president of Nigeria,I don't care weather the word PROBE is a military terminology or not,he was and still is a military man.The next generation of Nigerian presidents won't forgive Yar'adua if he does not probe OBASANJO. The simple truth remains that Ribadu can not and will not want to probe Obasanjo who made him what he is today.So his removal is an advantage for Yar'adua to probe him.
If by the middle of 2008 Obasanjo is not probed,it then means that Yar'adua is corrupt too,which means he also has to be probed regardless of his immunity
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 06, 2008
"No government committed to the rule of law as this one is would do that. What any responsible government does is that if there are clear cases of infractions, like abuse of office, such matters would be reported to the relevant agencies or the Attorney-General would file charges in court.

Please they should remove the word responsible from the above quote angry. Nigerian government is not worthy of it. By the way which "relevent agencies or Attorney-General" are we talking about here ---in Nigeria?
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by NigEclipse(m): 1:36pm On Jan 07, 2008
Stillwater's right, because they all embezzled from their states' coffers. From OBJ, Alamieyeseigha, Sam Egwu and all the others.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by coolkaboom(m): 1:51pm On Jan 07, 2008
maybe the term PROBE is what yar-a-dull administration is afraid of.its on record that he has silently been over-turning several of OBJs policies and i do believe that with the removal of OBJ-Loyal Ribadu, the coast is clear to appoint someone who isn't so scared of the ota farmer. that's what we all should concentrate on, who takes over at EFCC, i am a little disappointed that we as a people are too pre-occupied with Ribadu- that we are not looking at the bigger picture.

imagine if someone in the mould of Gani-Fawehinmi were to take-over the mantle.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by IykeD1(m): 4:46pm On Jan 07, 2008

imagine if someone in the mould of Gani-Fawehinmi were to take-over the mantle.

Very laughable indeed. You think people won't complain about Gani? If Gani decides
to probe IBB, wouldn't that be considered a selective probe knowing how Gani has
come to hate IBB since the Dele Giwa's saga?

Also, read up on Gani's take on Ribadu's removal. Please don't make me laugh!
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by 7thMikel(m): 10:37pm On Jan 07, 2008
Iyke-D:

Very laughable indeed. You think people won't complain about Gani? If Gani decides
to probe IBB, wouldn't that be considered a selective probe knowing how Gani has
come to hate IBB since the Dele Giwa's saga?

Also, read up on Gani's take on Ribadu's removal. Please don't make me laugh!

na wa o, mr man, e be like say english na challenge.i said someone in d mould of, it's a whole different meaning than pickin gani himself.it simply means someone who is bold and courageous to go after all criminals without the burden of political patronage weihing him down.someone with a name and reputation to preserve. read twice (and maybe thrice) b4 u hasten to disagree just 4 d sake of startin an unnecesary argument. peace
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by emmydee(m): 10:51am On Jan 08, 2008
Obasanjo's tenure shall be probed either now or in fututre. these things will be looked into but with time.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by IykeD1(m): 11:41am On Jan 08, 2008

na wa o, mr man, e be like say english na challenge.i said someone in d mould of, it's a whole different meaning than pickin gani himself.it simply means someone who is bold and courageous to go after all criminals without the burden of political patronage weihing him down.someone with a name and reputation to preserve. read twice (and maybe thrice) before u hasten to disagree just 4 d sake of startin an unnecesary argument. peace

na wa o, mr man, e be like say english na challenge.
Ah, you may be right on that one. . .

means someone who is bold and courageous to go after all criminals without the burden of political
patronage weihing him down.someone with a name and reputation to preserve
And who may that be? Who are you going to appoint in Nigeria that somebody will not have a problem with maybe
not tomorrow but in a few months?

While I might have wrongfully harped on Gani, the point made is still valid as Gani has an axe to grind with the likes
of IBB and there is no way a Gani can choose to probe an IBB and he won't be accused of nursing a grudge. Now, you
can replace Gani with Mr X and IBB with Mr. Y and you will still get the drift. Finally, you can bet that they are people in
Nigeria who will disagree with you completely on your take on Gani as being courageous and having a reputation to
preserve (not me though). Thanks for the English lesson.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by angel101(f): 11:46am On Jan 08, 2008
Hmmm Classic naija. we will keep watching.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 08, 2008
emmydee:

Obasanjo's tenure shall be probed either now or in fututre. these things will be looked into but with time.

I hope he would be alive to witness that day, since the man in question is not a young person.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by ololakenny: 9:46am On Jan 12, 2008
is only a change in party in power that can probe people like obasanjo, not a PDP handing to a PDP task. save for Yar'Adua who i don't know where he belongs in the corruption rank and file, the PDP is synonimous with corruption. for them in the party, corruption is like a way of life.

Yar'Adua cannot probe obasanjo, that's tantamount to breaking down the party's integrity and their sense of coporate invincibility even in the face of proven evidences of crime and corruption.

the N60b power plant is not working yet, the questions of the death of Bola Ige and others are yet to find any reasonable answer, etc.

Now that EFCC is closing on the IOB's and the old soldier's case, to get rid of the stubborn police officer is tantamount. u understand. it is all a man-know-man PDP thing.
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by kosovo(m): 11:57am On Jan 12, 2008
BABA  Nor mind them.
nothing dey happen, who get two head make him go ota farm go prob u.
thanks for makin democracy  stay.in naija.
baba long may u live and see all ur enemies tremble at ur feet.
1luv OBJ.
nottin do u,
Re: Obasanjo's 8 Years Tenure Will Not Be Probed - Presidential Aide by segunpc(m): 10:24am On Jan 15, 2008
i bliv dat one day and very soon when d pressure begins to mount on yar'adua e ll give way 4 obj to b probed.

segun is only saying what he is being told to say, so lets leave him out of it.

and for obj if his hands r clean let him submit himself for probe.

soon now or later breeze go blow we go see fowl ass.

just like d waivers e gave to his cronies.

(1) (2) (Reply)

North Trades IGP Seat For Customs Top Job / Amosun's Chief Of Staff Resigns / Here's What OBJ Has To Say About Rtd Gen. Muhammed Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.