Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,561 members, 7,820,028 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? (5415 Views)

Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Now Illegal, Dogara Warns / The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! / Reuters Report : The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Imf Policy For Africa ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by BigB11(m): 3:27pm On Jan 03, 2008
Why Ribadu must go, by Col Umar

Former Military Governor of old Kaduna State, Col. Abubakar Dangiwa Umar (rtd) has stirred further controversy on the redeployment of Mallam Nuhu Ribadu as Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Umar said the EFCC Chairman should quit the job because his appointment was irregular in the first place.
He said although Ribadu would deliver on any task assigned to him, his low level experience needs the guidance of an honest leader.

“I am sorry to say that such environment was most lacking when Nuhu was prematurely appointed as Chairman of EFCC on the insistence of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar; definitely due to their common geographical extraction”, he added.

The former Military Governor made this assertion while fielding questions from newsmen in Kaduna in what apparently was his first reaction to the EFCC saga .
Why Ribadu must go
While many say that the decision to post Nuhu Ribadu out is aimed at frustrating the ongoing trial of the President’s former governor colleagues, Umar thinks otherwise, anchoring his belief on the exigencies of the time.

According to him, “Nuhu found himself operating under the tutelage of a most dishonest boss, President Obasanjo. He was under the false impression that Obasanjo was sincere in his fight against corruption. And who would not be deceived considering the saintly image of Obasanjo up to the point of his first election in 1999 and the beautiful rhetorics and declarations he delivered in his inaugural speech in which he promised to restore the years the locust had eaten, to step on toes and have no scared cows in his war against corruption. When therefore Nuhu was appointed, he accepted the challenge with great zeal, some will even say overzealousness
“But very soon, it became apparent to most observers that former President Obasanjo had some other plans for setting up the EFCC and such plans ran counter to the fight against corruption

Instead, the EFCC was slanted to fight against the opponents of former President Obasanjo and to also use the institution to cover up Obasanjo’s monumental corruption. I have it on good authority that the EFCC Chairman was troubled and thoroughly embarrassed by Obasanjo’s hypocrisy and double standard. I still cannot understand why Nuhu couldn’t take the honourable path of resignation once he became aware of the President’s antics. I was shocked that the chairman could bear false witness that Obasanjo was not personally corrupt.

He vouched for the integrity of Obasanjo at a time when he had caused to be stolen well over 50 billion dollars through highly inflated contracts, illegal duty waivers and concessions, mismanagement of the Federations Account and scandalous NNPC transactions and a most criminal, opaque privatization of public treasures to his business associates and cronies. When Obasanjo embarked on total genocidal war against his political and business opponents, the EFCC became the most useful and loyal force that was used.

It acquitted itself disregarding all the recognized war conventions. A good example was the corruption advisory list issued on the instruction of President Obasanjo and his party, the PDP which led to the illegal disqualifications of all strong opposition members. It is a measure of the extent of that illegality that many election results are being reversed by tribunals including those of five state governors and still counting”.

Where Ribadu failed
In assessing the EFCC, Umar said although the anti graft body had carried out the anti- corruption war with some measure of seriousness, it does not deserve the credit being showered on it.
Asked if the prosecution of a former Inspector General of Police and former Governor Diepreye Alamieyeseigha of Bayelsa State and the recovering of over N500 billion from criminals were not laudable achievements, the former Military Governor shot back, beginning with the case of the former Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Tafa Balogun.
Umar said the culprit in the case was not Tafa Balogun, but President Obasanjo who he said aided and abetted the former IGP to embezzle the funds

“I ask you what was the Police Force annual budget for the whole period that Balogun headed the force? How was it possible for the IGP, working directly under the President who declared war against corruption, to embezzle over N17 billion without the knowledge of the same President? Tafa Balogun was used as a scape goat. He served Obasanjo’s purpose which explained his ridiculously light sentence of six months mostly served in hospital and his house.

“The case of the former governors of Bayelsa State and Plateau goes to prove our claim that the EFCC was used to torment the opposition. They were only victims of the Obasanjo-Atiku feud since they remained loyal to the Vice President. Otherwise, how come they were the only two governors targeted in any serious manner in the fight against corruption?
“I ask you why was Bode George not prosecuted by the EFCC? The president prevented this from happening. In fact, even when Nuhu established a prima-facie case against Bode George, the president threw back the report on the pretext that the EFCC was not specific in identifying individual culprits. The EFCC Chairman was forced to exonerate Bode George by ridiculously claiming that Bode was only a Board Chairman and not the Chief Executive of NPA and could therefore not be held responsible for any contract fraud, as if he is unaware of the powers of the board in contract awards which of course are higher than that of the management.”

Speaking on the monies recovered from those found guilty, Umar said it is yet uncertain how much has been retrieved. He, however, called on the EFCC to expose those from whom such monies have been recovered, saying he is reluctant to praise the anti-graft agency.
He referred to the CNPP’s allegation that over N2 trillion perished under Obasanjo’s watch and wondered what the N500 billion recovered by the anti-graft body means to Nigerians.
Obasanjo’s hypocrisy, Ribadu’s gain
Umar’s response to the question on the coincidence of Ribadu’s redeployment and the prosecution of former governors? He said Ribadu’s appointment was irregular in the first place going by the Act which set up the EFCC. Quoting from the Act, the former military governor said: “the Act provides for a Chairman and Chief Executive and Board members representing the security services.

The representative of the Police must be of the rank of an AIG. But when Nuhu was appointed, he was only an AC, meaning he was too junior in rank and therefore expected to attended many police and other professional courses if he is to remain in police service. The NIPPS happened to be a requirement for promotion to the top echelon of the security services. So, the exigencies of the police service require Nuhu to proceed on course. Please do a check on the seniority of Nuhu in the police.

It is Obasanjo that catapulted him to the rank of AIG over his mates and some of his superiors so as to unduly exaggerate the achievements of EFCC under him in its war against corruption. It is all part of Obasanjo’s dishonesty and hypocrisy. He decided to decorate his generals after being routed in a war. He surrendered to corruption, but he still has to publish another book on His Command.”
Why Obasanjo’s policies must be reversed

People also see the removal of Nuhu Ribadu as one more evidence that Yar’Adua is intent on reversing all the policies of Obasanjo’s administration. Could this not be true?
To answer the question, Umar went down memory lane, enunciating some of the policies of the Obasanjo administration. In his estimation, Yar’Adua’s government in incapable of reversing all the policies of that administration.

“But there is real and urgent need to reverse all those bad policies and they are so many. You must remember that the main reason Obasanjo was elected in 1999, against all odds, was to pull this country back from the brink. It was expected that with his saintly image which has since been debunked, he would restore the years that the locust had eaten.

He would reverse the rot. Luck played into his hand. The nation witnessed an unprecedented rise in its finance, thanks to the high rise in oil revenue. It was like God had blessed us with manna from heaven. What did our messiah do? He decided to restructure the nation on a very weak and shaky foundation. Our social, political and economic structure has been built on cronyism, nepotism and greed.

His policies have encouraged primitive and criminal appropriation of public wealth by a few to the detriment of the many. Obasanjo’s policies have pauperized majority of Nigerians. Over 70 percent of the people have fallen below poverty line while less than two percent of the population controls over 60 percent of our nation’s wealth. He has pushed the nation further on the precipice. It is therefore in the best interest of the nation that such policies are reversed.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2008/jan/03/national-03-01-2008-001.htm
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by ndubest(m): 3:45pm On Jan 03, 2008
He is just saying his mind

i think as a citizen he has the right to express his views cheesy cheesy cheesy

thats should not stirr any controversy afterall he is not in government or holding political postions
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by BigB11(m): 3:50pm On Jan 03, 2008
And his view also happens to be very accurate and sincere!
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by Backslider(m): 4:20pm On Jan 03, 2008
Big1

You are talking on both sides of your Mouth.

We will know who is corrupt.
If it is Umar I know that served in the Army wether it was the mechanised Division or Amphibious cant recollect now. I am not sure it is him.

Or May be it is the whole decoy.

If Obj is Corrupt ribadu would have said so. Ribadu is not Afraid to die like some of us chickens for what we will eat.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by BigB11(m): 4:26pm On Jan 03, 2008
backslider, please remain in Ghana because you're absolutely not making any sense.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by doyin13(m): 4:28pm On Jan 03, 2008
Umar is amongst those crop of officers who think with a few courses abroad and polished English
they gain some sort of intellectual credence.(I would know---------I grew up with the military)

He and the rest of his military cohorts who keep reappearing like some houdini act in this dispensation
are shameless. They lost all moral authority to speak authoritatively on Democracy after their long stint in
denying the country for two decades.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by babasin(m): 4:29pm On Jan 03, 2008
Umar is respected fellow. He says his mind always.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by doyin13(m): 4:35pm On Jan 03, 2008
babasin:

Umar is respected fellow. He says his mind always.

That he is respected, I think says more about us, more than it does about his qualities.

Nigerians as a constituency are akin to Turkeys who would vote for Christmas. A most suicidal lot
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by BigB11(m): 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2008
Even if Umar was a crack head, he still has rights to express how he feels and point out defectiveness of any institutions in Nigeria, especially the ones that handle Fed govt daily activities.

If anyone has a bright idea to elevate this nation, I think we should welcome the idea regardless of where it is coming from.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by linuxuser(m): 4:58pm On Jan 03, 2008
"Umar is respected fellow. He says his mind always."

Who respects him? The only people that can respect him are people like you that does not have any respect for the truth. Umar lacks any credibility as far the masses and lovers of truth is concerned. Like I said before and will repeat again, People, colleagues around Ribadu attests to his honesty and truthfullness. I have not heard this said concerning You, Big B1 - as an apostle of Umar, IBB, Atiku, Ibori and the rest of the enemies of people of Nigeria. Is this the idiot they say will lead EFCC? What a garbage. May he (Umar) perish in Hell with his supporters. May God Grant Ribadu strength and favour. Amen!!!
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by doyin13(m): 5:06pm On Jan 03, 2008
Big B1:

Even if Umar was a crack head, he still has rights to express how he feels and point out defectiveness of any institutions in Nigeria, especially the ones that handle Fed govt daily activities.

If anyone has a bright idea to elevate this nation, I think we should welcome the idea regardless of where it is coming from.

With due respect, it is because we have been ruled by crackhead despots that we find ourselves in this malaise in the first place.

There comes a time when we should decide that some voices are simply worthless, discredited and ultimately disrespectful to us
that they keep opening their voice boxes.

Away with the old, in with the new-----------------------------------and all that malarkey
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by akpanbaba: 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2008
BIG B1,iam sorry for u ,it seems you are so carried away by the views of ex-military men like your master IBB and now UMAR. it seems you celebrate people who want to gain relevance in the society after being jobless for sometimes.Umar is a very bad critic but i think that people like Umar who came into limelight by way of coup should be careful in making statement.it is my opinion that people who served under IBB should not make any comment about corruption because that regime was a disaster and his boss is the father of modern corruption in Nigeria.i dont know what Umar contributed toward the building of nigeria as a military officer,but i know Ribadu though not an angel has cotributed immensely.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by linuxuser(m): 6:46pm On Jan 03, 2008
i don't know what Umar contributed toward the building of nigeria as a military officer,but i know Ribadu though not an angel has cotributed immensely. by akpanbaba

Akpanbana,

Thanks for this. Let these apostles of IBB, Atiku, Umar tell us what they have achieved for Nigeria. Instead of answering the question they will only be babling and talking about what Ribadu did not do perfectly. The only thing I have seen IBB, Atiku, Umar and the rest of the thieves do perfectly is to steal shamefully with absolute perfection. What Ribadu achieved as a police officer was far more than what IBB, Atiku, Umar and these idiots achieved. Actually no right minded person will compare IBB, Atiku, Umar who are corruption persofate with Ribadu the Corruption fighter that scares hell out of IBB, Umar, Atiku and all the rogue ex-governors.

Please help us to list the achievement of Atiku, IBB and Umar as public officers. We know Ribadu is not perfect. But please for conscience sake, tell us what IBB, Atiku and Umar did perfectly except stealing our money. Nigerians are waiting for your list of achievement of IBB, Atiku and Umar.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by oldie(m): 7:24pm On Jan 03, 2008
Umar ,
Was the sole administrator in Festac Housing estate
Did he leave festac better than he met it?

He was once the Kaduna state governor
What concrete legacy did he leave behind?

He was in the army
What was the state of the army when he left?

We should not be carried away with these opportunists and laterday crusaders
They had all the opportunity to improve Nigeria
Now they want to come back and continue with their crap again angry
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by IykeD1(m): 7:47pm On Jan 03, 2008
Umar who? Hen hen, I suppose IBB has nonimated Col. Umar to be the next
EFCC chairman?

Irregular appointment? The intellectual bankruptcies of Nigerian leaders knows
no bound. So if someone's appointment was really regular, sending them on a
course is the remedy or taking steps to regularize the appointment?

Heck, how regular was the election of the president? How legal or regular was
the process that made Umar a military governor?

Let me guess, someone on Nairaland is about to lecture us now on how we
need to strive for "perfection" in everything we do. . .

This country is lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by BigB11(m): 8:09pm On Jan 03, 2008
Calm down folks.
There is nobody endorsing Umar, let's focus on his point of view; how Ribadu lost the battle many months ago and how this could be prevented from happening again.

I think his view happens to be very accurate and sincere!
What is the big deal, folks?
Are you telling me not to give this man a chance to express himself just because he was a governor during the era of IBB?
If that is the case, then you guys are not serious about elevating the country from the dusty floor; We need to grow up quick or else we have a long way to go.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by ono(m): 8:30pm On Jan 03, 2008
While it might be difficult to point out, at this time, whatever legacies Col. Umar left behind when he was in the military and in the politics of the dictator, IBB, one cannot easily overlook those brilliant points the retired Colonel has made up there.

We will only be deceiving ourselves at this time if we descend so low as to begin to malign Umar's personality and not look at the points he's raised on the performance of babacratic OBJ and his locust infested 8 years rule. It's like chasing shadows and leaving substance! All of what he's raised up there are largely true and only sincere people will look at them and reason with the colonel on the way out of our present predicament as a nation.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by linuxuser(m): 9:01pm On Jan 03, 2008
While it might be difficult to point out, at this time, whatever legacies Col. Umar left behind when he was in the military and in the politics of the dictator, IBB, one cannot easily overlook those brilliant points the retired Colonel has made up there. by Ono,

Ono,
The issue here is that Umar does not possess the credibility that Ribadu earned by virtue of what he did for Nigeria. Umar is entitled to his opinion and I respect that. But the issue is that when he served Nigeria, he had the opportunity to do things that will better Nigeria but he choose to steal with his master IBB that is why it is difficult to point out at this time what he did. The records are there for all that Ribadu worked hard and earned integrity and respect of common Nigerians even in his imperfection. It is on record that Umar, IBB earned disrespect by stealing the money that belong to Nigerians.

Umar should keep his mouth shut and talk about somehting else and not about what Ribadu did not do well. There is no iota of brillance in what he said but rather he is cleverly and deceifully trying to say something so that people can say he said something. I strongly believed in what people achieved to better Nigeria and not their rabble rousing and petty talk to discredit others. There is no record that Ribadu stole money that belong to Nigerians. But records are there to indict IBB, UMar, Ibori, OBJ and the rest of them. God will judge them all. Its just a matter of time. Umar, IBB is equal to CORRUPTION. Please show us something to the contrary.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by linuxuser(m): 9:12pm On Jan 03, 2008
Are you telling me not to give this man a chance to express himself just because he was a governor during the era of IBB? by Big B1

Big B1,

You are correct that Umar is entitled to express himself but the point is that he lacks morality, decency and character to condemn Ribadu. At least we can all see what Ribadu achieved in his imperfection. But what did IBB, Umar and the rest of them achieve? Nothing except that they stole the money that belongs to all of us. There is nothing wrong with Umar expressing his opinion but he does not possess an integrity to judge Ribadu because of what is on record. The point here is CREDIBILITY, INTGRITY, CONSCIENCE AND HONESTY. Ribadu posses all these to some extent but IBB, Umar, Atiku does not posses any of these. The only thing they have on record is EMBEZZLEMENT, CORRUPTION AND LIES TO THE CORE!!!. THE RECORS ARE THERE FOR ALL NIGERIANS TO SEE. God Bless Nigeria. God Bless Ribadu. May God punish all of them that have stolen Nigerian Money.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by BigB11(m): 9:22pm On Jan 03, 2008
You are correct that Umar is entitled to express himself but the point is that he lacks morality, decency and character to condemn Ribadu

Thanks for a great reply, but could you please prove all these horrible things you've listed against Umar?
I'm open to learning something new!
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by BigB11(m): 9:40pm On Jan 03, 2008
[b]But right now, I think Ribadu has made his contribution to the war on corruption. He was used by Obasanjo to fight political enemies, but he managed to convince many Nigerians and the world at large that he had the patriotism, passion and decision to give corruption a bloody fight.

If his bosses think he has become too controversial or out-of-control to be allowed to continue, fair enough.

The ball is no longer in Ribadu’s court. It is now squarely in President Yar’ Adua’s court. The nation and the whole world are watching to see how he plays it. One year from now, we will be in a position to say conclusively if Ribadu was removed to slow down the war or recharge it. We are giving Yar’ Adua the benefit of doubt, but we are watching

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a number of names that will fit the role: Col. Abubakar Dangiwa Umar (retd) Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe (retd), Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN) and Mr. Femi Falana. Of the lot, Umar will immediately restore confidence in the fight against corruption. He will be fair but firm. This war is a serious affair. Let Umar lead it! [/b]

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/jan/3/308.html
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by ono(m): 9:40pm On Jan 03, 2008
linux,
Don't you think you're being somewhat biased in your evaluation of these two personalities? The identified ''imperfections'' in Ribadoo scooby doo is the main reason he's being sent on course today, so that he can be well groomed for higher responsibilities or whatever responsibility there is for him

And as far as I know, I stand to be corrected though, Umar was a vocal, fearless critic of the Abacha administration. We all know how brutal Abacha was when he was at the helm of affairs up there. I think for anyone to ''voice out'' or criticise Abacha at the time, he must really be holding on to something and must have a clean record. Militancy in the delta creek was unheard of. Even babacratic OBJ escaped death by the whiskers! Get my drift?
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by BigB11(m): 10:04pm On Jan 03, 2008
Posted by linuxuser
You are correct that Umar is entitled to express himself but the point is that he lacks morality, decency and character to condemn Ribadu

Thanks for a great reply, but could you please prove all these horrible things you've listed against Umar?

My man, linuxuser: You've got to back your point!
Do not be like others that talk rubbish, but have no back-bone.

I'm waiting!
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by BigB11(m): 10:06pm On Jan 03, 2008
Ono:
I feel you.

One love!
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by linuxuser(m): 10:27pm On Jan 03, 2008
And as far as I know, I stand to be corrected though, Umar was a vocal, fearless critic of the Abacha administration By ono

Ono,
Please spare me a minute. Does Umar being a critic of Abacha/OBJ mean he is honest and committed to fight corruption to stand still? Before he retired, please list his records of achievement either in the military or in other capacity he was priviledged to serve. There is no doubt that for a Police officer in Nigeria to challenge everyone of us including me and you that if ever he took bribe from anyone, such person should come forward and till date, not a signle person, to the best of my knowledge has been able to come forward. I have personally met Serving Senior police Officers that worked with Ribadu. Each of them confirmed that this guy is different. Me and you will remember that none of is perfect and can never be perfect. None of us is God and we can never be God. Only God is perfect. Please point us to any where in the world where an individual or organisation is perfect.

I have nothing against Umar or IBB except that both of them contributed immesensely to the mess Ribadu was trying to clean up. They both have the opportunity to use their respective opportunity to better Nigeria. But what is on record is nothing but failure and Curruption. IBB and Umar are both corrupt. Umar leading the EFCC will give birth to nothing but SUPER CORRUPTION - the type we have never witnessed before in the history of Nigeria. I have said it before and will repeat it again. Ribadu is replaceable. Some others can do better job than he has done but please not people like Umar. He had a chance but blew it. I have asked us to kindly bail us out by listing his (Umar's) achievements when he was in a place of authority. Not a single thing has been ascbribed to him except failure. Did he leave Kaduna State better? i do not think so. if you think so pleas list what he did. What did he do as a Serving Army Officer. Nothing except being an apostle of his master IBB. Has Umar ever got the gut criticise IBB? Where was he then?. Please let us all be guided not by our love or sympathy for any individual but rather let us be guided by the Truth and a clear conscience. If everyone of us can have an iota of respect for the truth, Nigeria will get better.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by linuxuser(m): 10:35pm On Jan 03, 2008

My man, linuxuser: You've got to back your point!
Do not be like others that talk rubbish, but have no back-bone.

I'm waiting!
by BigB1,

With due respect to you, Please list what Umar achieved as the Governor of Kaduna State? Was Kaduna State better off when he left if yes how? Kindly include in your list of what he achieved and did for Nigeria when he was in the Nigeria Army.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by BigB11(m): 10:47pm On Jan 03, 2008
My man, I was never endorsing or repudiating this man from start; I just do not have enough information to hold this precious position you seem to be handling pretty well.
You were the one with all the bullets regarding everything and anything this man did wrong during his time as the governor.
And I was just hoping that you would be kind enough to share by elaborating your points and allowing us to learn one or two things.

My man, you have the ball, please teach us something new.

Will you?
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by akpanbaba: 11:32am On Jan 04, 2008
My friend Linux,
Please dont waste your energy on BIGBI and some of his friends.they are not worth it.you know the son of the snake must be long .this guy has refused to mention what his master did in the miltary and even a retired officer that would qualify him as EFCC chairman.The blood that flows from BIGBI smells corruption because he is the son of the snake,IBB.ALAM.TAFA,UMAR.Pray for him like this;Every spirit of corruption in BIGB1 that has beclouded his sense of reasoning ,fall down and die AMEN
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by babasin(m): 11:42am On Jan 04, 2008
President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua may have been reluctant to approve the study leave for Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, chairman of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), THISDAY checks have revealed.
The reluctance may have been because the president needed wider consultation but was forced to approve the course in the face of relentless media accusation that the study leave was a ploy to shield former governors from prosecution, official sources said.
Indeed, the president had only just received the request from Mr Mike Okiro, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), to send Ribadu on a senior management course at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) in Kuru, Plateau State, when news got round that Ribadu had been removed, whereas the approval for the course was only given Friday last week, four days after it broke in the media.
According to officials conversant with the development, when Okiro informed Ribadu of the course, the EFCC chairman reportedly asked Okiro if the President had been informed about the decision.
The IGP was said to have replied in the negative, asking: “Do you think the president needs to know about this? It’s a routine course for senior officers in the force.”
“Ribadu told Okiro that with his position as chairman of EFCC, he was reporting directly to the President and only the President could send him on a course of this nature,” the source said.
The IGP then decided to take the matter directly to Yar’Adua.
On meeting with Yar’Adua on Christmas eve, Okiro was said to have presented the file containing the names of those to be sent on the course.
Presidency sources said the view of the Villa was that approving courses was not the job of the president. However, with the name of Ribadu on the list, the president knew the import and decided to think through it, the source added.
It is believed that if the President wanted to approve the course, he would have done it there and then but chose to be reticent on the matter.
By the next day, the media attention began and speculations were rife as many imputed political motives. Coming during a holiday period when the file was still at the presidency and the issue had not been addressed, the President was said to have wondered what the hot air was all about.
With the widespread criticism, culminating in Prof. Wole Soyinka's statement over the issue, the President came to the conclusion that only one decision could be taken on the matter: to approve the course and protect the Police high command.
The President's opinion was that Ribadu had not been removed since he was only going on a course in February. When Ribadu completes the course, official sources told THISDAY, the next line of action would be taken.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by IykeD1(m): 11:56am On Jan 04, 2008

The President's opinion was that Ribadu had not been removed since he was only going on a course
in February. When Ribadu completes the course, official sources told THISDAY, the next line of action
would be taken.

What was the president's understanding of the duration of the course which begins in February? Is it
a 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, or 9 months course? If its a 1 month course, no problem. But if its a
9 months course, how is that not tantamount to removing Ribadu?

Can the AGF still be the AGF if he was asked to go on a nine month course? These guys can't even spin
anything to save their lives!
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by McKren(m): 12:03pm On Jan 04, 2008
The truth of the matter is, the President needs better spin doctors

The ones he has right now are either no good or they are delibrately destroying him.

Remember most of them have Presidential ambition.
Re: Ribadu's Removal Is Long Overdue? by babasin(m): 12:12pm On Jan 04, 2008
The only fault I found in Ribadu, and it is a grievous fault, is that he never for once, throughout the time he worked with the erstwhile president, gave any hint that some spanners from the presidency were being thrown in the works of his Commission. Everyone knew the Commission was being driven by a remote control held by Obasanjo, yet Ribadu carried on, and wanted everybody to believe him, as if he was his own man, answerable to no man and feared no man. That was a lie and Ribadu knew it was a lie. Everyone was aware that Obasanjo was leading him and his Commission by the nose.

Notice the few times Ribadu tried to exercise his independence - for example, when he declared that 31 or so state governors were corrupt. Obasanjo simply came out to laugh off the matter and said the young man was on his own-speaking his own mind.

Another sin of Ribadu was that he failed to read the signs of the time to know that his work was over the moment the new government came in. It is said that the guest that fails to leave the party when the music goes off will end up dancing with the waitress. With Obasanjo's exit, there was really nothing left for Ribadu to do with the Commission. The former president employed him for only one singular purpose, and that was to help him ward off his enemies.

With Obasanjo's exit, Ribadu should have known that the party was over for him and should have left along with the man he had served so dutifully well. To stay back as he had done, and still thought he would still be relevant to the new government in the fight against corruption, especially knowing full well the flawed elections that gave birth to the new administration was the height of naivety. Ribadu's present travail is a tragedy that was only waiting in the wings to happen

simply brilliant. Sayo-nara Ribadu.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man With 86 Wives To Sue Inec For Discrimination / Christmas Day Bomb Victims For Burial Today. Lets Sign A Condolence Register. / Special Conference On Securty In South East And Delta State Live On Channels Tv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.