Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,394 members, 7,836,583 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects (1258 Views)

Ogun To Commission 40 Projects For The Commemoration Of Her 40th Anniversary / Dickson Hoodwinks Jonathan To Commission Flyover - Sahara Reporters / Aregbesola Set To Commission Ejigbo High School (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by mekuslogan: 9:48pm On Aug 30, 2012
Jonathan pledges revitalisation of railway system
On August 30, 2012 · In News
5:50 pm

Onitsha (Anambra) – President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday in Onitsha, Anambra, said plans were underway to open up other River Ports and revitalise the railway system across the country.

Jonathan made this known while inaugurating the rehabilitated Onitsha River Port in Anambra.

President Goodluck Jonathan (right), with Gov. Peter Obi (leftt) and Chief Emeka ( right) during the commissioning of Orient Petroleum facility at Enugwu Otu in Anambra East Thursday .

He said the measure would help in the transportation of goods and services through water and reduce the overuse of land in conveying heavy goods across the nation.

“We noticed that transporting heavy goods on land help make our roads tear and get bad by the day.

“So when rail system and water transportation are revitalised, it will reduce the use of land in transporting heavy goods across the country,” he said.

Jonathan said he was happy with the security situation in the zone.

He commended the Chairman of Orange Drugs Groups, Chief Tony Ezenna, for building a gigantic soap manufacturing industry in the commercial city of Onitsha.

He dubbed Ezenna as a partner in progress, while describing SABMiller Breweries as a critical project with great impact on the economic life of the state.

In his address, Gov. Peter Obi, said the president’s visit was critical to his administration’s resolve to industrialise the state.

“We have been admitted into the league of oil producing states and we want to assure you that the economy of this state and entire country would receive great boost,” he said.

He also said that Onitsha remained the biggest and most important city in the country with very big market in the entire country.

He pointed out that the state was safe for investors and called on other investors to invest in the state, while assuring them of the State Government’s assistance.

The Minister of Transport, Sen. Idris Umar, said the port would help reduce the sufferings importers face in the cause of importing their goods.

He said the port would also boost the economic viability of Onitsha in particular and the entire country in general.

Umar said his ministry would soon embark on the construction of other river ports across the country and build more railway systems, which he said, would create job and enhance productivity.

The Senate Committee Chairman on Maritime, Sen. Zainab Kure, described the ceremony as an epoch making event.

He called for a synergy between the executive arm and the legislature to achieve the desired effect.

“History is being made today and we are happy to be part of it, but there are still much to be done in building synergy between executive and legislature.

“We must work together in 2013 Budget to ensure that many other ports are built,” she said.

The Group Executive Chairman, Orange Group, Ezenna said the company had fully automated saponification plants with 12 finishing lines to produce raw materials locally for the production of soap.

Ezenna thanked Mr President for finding time to be in the state to inaugurate several projects.

He said the projects would help reduce the high rate of youth unemployment in the state by providing job opportunities for them. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/jonathan-pledges-better-life/

Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by mekuslogan: 9:52pm On Aug 30, 2012
They need to complete the Enugu airport ASAP. That, and the River port will give the added boost that the SE requires. Kudos to Anambra, Alaigbo, to GEJ, and the individuals whose establishments were inaugurated today
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by Onlytruth(m): 9:53pm On Aug 30, 2012
Jona na awa man! grin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by mekuslogan: 9:55pm On Aug 30, 2012
Hopefully, the SE will soon have more ''mobile executives'' flying abroad 3-4 times a week from Alaigboshocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by Onlytruth(m): 9:55pm On Aug 30, 2012
mekuslogan: They need to complete the Enugu airport ASAP. That, and the River port will give the added boost that the SE requires. Kudos to Anambra, Alaigbo, to GEJ, and the individuals whose establishments were inaugurated today

Bros you are spot on. Little by little, we shall possess our possession in Nigeria. Amen!
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by Onlytruth(m): 9:57pm On Aug 30, 2012
mekuslogan: Hopefully, the SE will soon have more ''mobile executives'' flying abroad 3-4 times a week from Alaigboshocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

My brother I can't wait for that! There are MANY of our people who have "shevel ready ideas" that international investors are waiting to pounce upon.
Our greatest resource is OUR PEOPLE. cool
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by mekuslogan: 9:59pm On Aug 30, 2012
Onlytruth:

Bros you are spot on. Little by little, we shall possess our possession in Nigeria. Amen!

Sure. there is this man in Abia called Raegan Ufomba who just finished his cement plant of 1.1 trillion metric tons. Unfortunately he was not allowed to build it in his state due to local politics, so he took it to Calabar. Anyways, na we we, and am sure many of his employees will be Igbos; we need to develope our land and by so doing create employment, reduce crime and the movement to other parts of Nigeria, especially outside the Old East.
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by Onlytruth(m): 10:16pm On Aug 30, 2012
mekuslogan:

Sure. there is this man in Abia called Raegan Ufomba who just finished his cement plant of 1.1 trillion metric tons. Unfortunately he was not allowed to build it in his state due to local politics, so he took it to Calabar. Anyways, na we we, and am sure many of his employees will be Igbos; we need to create develeop our land and by so doing create employment, reduce crime and the movement to other parts of Nigeria, especially outside the Old East.

It has remained my personal belief that the destiny of OLD EAST lies in the hands of all of us.
The Igbo in particular can single handedly bring MASSIVE development in the East that will shift Nigeria's economy eastwards.
With Jona in office, we can do a whole lot.

Jona na awa man! cool
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by mekuslogan: 10:18pm On Aug 30, 2012
Jona in action. Carry go biko. Nothing do you grin grin grin grin

Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by mpumalanga: 12:25am On Aug 31, 2012
My joy is full because i don't believe that the day will come when our GOD given resources will not be in the strategic
reserve while we continue to suffer.God bless GEAJ GCFR.
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by Freewilly(f): 12:41am On Aug 31, 2012
mekuslogan: Jona in action. Carry go biko. Nothing do you grin grin grin grin

He looks very happy, comfortable and relaxed to be around the Igbos. Anyways who won't, Igbo are very welcoming people. Congratulations to Anambra on their new River Port.
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by Onlytruth(m): 1:58am On Aug 31, 2012
Freewilly:

He looks very happy, comfortable and relaxed to be around the Igbos. Anyways who won't, Igbo are very welcoming people. Congratulations to Anambra on their new River Port.

Yes, we take him as one of us. Just look at him. His entire body language says something like "I'm home!". cool

Jona na awa man.
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by FSU: 2:12am On Aug 31, 2012
Onlytruth:

Yes, we take him as one of us. Just look at him. His entire body language says something like "I'm home!". cool

Jona na awa man.

I think Igbos should suspend any intention to contest in 2015 and support Jonathan, on the condition that the airport and Niger bridge are completed. After all, it is known that Nigerian presidents don't do stuff for their people. An Igbo president may not solve the Igbo problem:lack of befitting federal presence.
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by Onlytruth(m): 2:15am On Aug 31, 2012
FSU:

I think Igbos should suspend any intention to contest in 2015 and support Jonathan, on the condition that the airport and Niger bridge are completed. After all, it is known that Nigerian presidents don't do stuff for their people. An Igbo president may not solve the Igbo problem:lack of befitting federal presence.

I generally agree provided he is CURRENTLY working on them before 2015. I personally believe that he can deliver Enugu international airport fully functioning before 2014.
We can hold onto that and support him again in 2015. cool
Re: Jonathan In Onitsha to commission projects by FSU: 2:18am On Aug 31, 2012
Onlytruth:

I generally agree provided he is CURRENTLY working on them before 2015. I personally believe that he can deliver Enugu international airport fully functioning before 2014.
We can hold onto that and support him again in 2015. cool

And hey, any Nigerian (Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Fulani, Ijaw, etc) who can deliver states equivalency in the different regions get my vote. Less states for us is the most potent factor militating against SE progress. You need to know to what tune of billions of Naira the SE is shortchanged annually.

(1) (Reply)

Gov Lamido’s $20,000 Largesse Rips Apart Dandalin Siyasa Online Forum / EFCC Seize Former Bayelsa Governor Timipre Sylva's Properties / Infrastructural Decay In South Western Nigeria – Prof. Jide Osuntokun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.