Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,941 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa (4107 Views)

Ted Cruz Defeats Donald Trump, Wins Iowa / Hillary Clinton Declared Victory In Iowa Caucus / American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by dtwsola(m): 1:31am On Jan 05, 2008
Ndipe:

As much as I don't support some of the policies of the democratic party vis a vis, their support of abortion, , <snip>

Democrats do not support abortion. They support a woman's right to choose. Most democrats even find the practice morally wrong.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by bawomol(m): 1:33am On Jan 05, 2008
"Minimum wages lead to higher unemployment,higher taxes lead to tax avoidance,welfarist policies encourage single parenthood and benefit scrounging,e.t.c"

the democrats under bill clinton actually scaled back a few welfare programs.  the idea of tax-cut boosting the economy has little to no merits.  increasing minimum wages to account for inflation is realistic in my opinion.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by bawomol(m): 1:34am On Jan 05, 2008
roe vs wade is here to stay, deal with it. republicans have done little to change abortion laws since the 80's
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 1:37am On Jan 05, 2008
dtw_sola:

Democrats do not support abortion. They support a woman's right to choose. Most democrats even find the practice morally wrong.

Please,can you explain the difference?  

bawomol:

the democrats under bill clinton actually scaled back a few welfare programs.  the idea of tax-cut boosting the economy has little to no merits.  increasing minimum wages to account for inflation is realistic in my opinion.  

Clinton was not the US Emperor but he did scale back welfare in collaboration with the GOP

Tax cuts have no merit?You prefer when the top rate of income tax was 77% under Carter? What then is the explanation for the significant increase in tax receipts and the proportion of the tax burden borne by the rich as illustrated in the links I put up?
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by bawomol(m): 2:06am On Jan 05, 2008
Clinton was not the US Emperor but he did scale back welfare in collaboration with the Democrats.

Tax cuts have no merit?You prefer when the top rate of income tax was 77% under Carter? What then is the explanation for the significant increase in tax receipts and the proportion of the tax burden borne by the rich as illustrated in the links I put up?

i never claimed clinton was an emperor. u have to admit he didn't veto the bills that scaled back welfare.

i don't see what significant tax increae u are talking about. basically the rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer. trickle down economics doesn't work. tax cuts have shifted the tax burden but haven't done much.

http://treas.gov/press/releases/js1287.htm
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 2:13am On Jan 05, 2008
@bawomol

You posted a link basically proving the point I am making and dismantling yours.Here is an excerpt from your link:

Taxpayers who rank in the top 50 percent of taxpayers by income pay virtually all individual income taxes. In all years since 1990, taxpayers in this group have paid over 90 percent of all individual income taxes. In 2000 and 2001, this group paid over 96 percent of the total.

The President’s tax cuts have shifted a larger share of the individual income taxes paid to higher income taxpayers. In 2004, when most of the tax cut provisions are fully in effect (e.g., lower tax rates, the $1,000 child credit, marriage penalty relief), the projected tax share for lower-income taxpayers will fall, while the tax share for higher-income taxpayers will rise.

The share of taxes paid by the bottom 50 percent of taxpayers will fall from 4.1 percent to 3.6 percent.
The share of taxes paid by the top 1 percent of taxpayers will rise from 30.5 percent to 32.3 percent.

The average tax rate for the bottom 50 percent of taxpayers falls by 16 percent as compared to a 12 percent decline for taxpayers in the top 1 percent.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 2:24am On Jan 05, 2008
bawomol:

i don't see what significant tax increae u are talking about. basically the rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer. trickle down economics doesn't work. tax cuts have shifted the tax burden but haven't done much.

http://treas.gov/press/releases/js1287.htm

You are missing the fundamental point.In the past,when top rates of tax were high,such as 77%,the rich bore a smaller proportion of the tax burden,with recent tax cuts their proportion has been going higher.Do you want to go back to the era when the poor bore a higher proportion of the tax burden?

Tax receipts have gone up higher than expected and are at an average historical high as a percentage of GDP,up 11% in fiscal 2006 alone.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by doyin13(m): 2:59am On Jan 05, 2008
I-man:

You are missing the fundamental point.In the past,when top rates of tax were high,such as 77%,the rich bore a smaller proportion of the tax burden,with recent tax cuts their proportion has been going higher.Do you want to go back to the era when the poor bore a higher proportion of the tax burden?

Tax receipts have gone up higher than expected and are at an average historical high as a percentage of GDP,up 11% in fiscal 2006 alone.

Hehehehehe. . . .I see u are marketing your neo liberal credentials here. grin
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 1:19pm On Jan 05, 2008
@doyin13

Don't mind these people,soon they will be asking the Govt to create a dating agency for the sake of egalitarianism grin grin
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Bankole01(m): 2:23pm On Jan 05, 2008
doyin13:

Hehehehehe. . . .I see u are marketing your neo liberal credentials here. grin

The truth is the richer you are, the less proportional tax you actually pay.
Let me explain. Being rich or more affluent, means you can have a lot more tax shelters and exploit the tax loopholes.
The people on the lower tax brackets cannot do this, and end up paying more taxes, proportional to their income.

Huckabee was talking about doing away with income tax, and in its place utilise use taxes.
In the long run, it means the poor will pay more taxes, as they will pay as much taxes as rich folks.
In poorer neighborhoods, people pay more for groceries ans other essentials than in more affluent neighborhoods.

Stores in richer neighborhoods tend to be bigger, buy in bulk and enjoy higher distributor and manufacturer discounts.
This translate to lower prices and less taxes for the more affluent.

The fact is the Democratic party policies are more people friendly that Republican policies, which placed more burdens on the middle class and poor. The social programs I admit can be a little too cuddly and invite abuses and laziness on the part of the poor.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Horus(m): 2:38pm On Jan 05, 2008
How is someone whose mother is white a black man? At best,he is half-black.
Most American Blacks, whites and Hispanics are familiar with crossover music. Artists like George Benson, Lionel Richie, Diana Ross, Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson perform music that appeals to a national and international audience. We didn't ask if their music was Black enough; we continued to listen and appreciate their great talents and contributions. Barack Obama has the same crossover appeal, he's a crossover politician. Why should we allow the media to cloud the issues and cause confusion in our mind by asking whether or not Barack Obama is Black enough?
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by McKren(m): 2:45pm On Jan 05, 2008
Black Americans are simply being naive

if they wake up from their slumber, they will understand that they can only begin to claim to be as american as everyone else when america produces a mixed President and a black first lady.

If Obama had no respects for his black roots, he will not get married to a black woman neither will he retain the name Barack Hussein Obama.

However if they are hoping that Obama should start dropping black right mantra as the basis of his campaign. It wont happen as Obama knows the dangers of doing that.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Bankole01(m): 3:22pm On Jan 05, 2008
McKren:

Black Americans are simply being naive

if they wake up from their slumber, they will understand that they can only begin to claim to be as american as everyone else when america produces a mixed President and a black first lady.

If Obama had no respects for his black roots, he will not get married to a black woman neither will he retain the name Barack Hussein Obama.

However if they are hoping that Obama should start dropping black right mantra as the basis of his campaign. It wont happen as Obama knows the dangers of doing that.

Black Americans know who they are and what rightly belongs to them. A least the educated ones know this very well.
On the other hand, they have to fight for everything the get from the whiteman.

It is a fact that America as advanced as it is, is one of the most racist nation in the world.
Obama is not the first blackman to run for presidential office. Rev. Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow/Puch coalition gained wide support among whites and latinos in the more liberal States, but none in the deep South.
This is the test Obama faces. Also, Latinos now enjoy a more robust population explosion and are widely distributed in all States. This is also playing more to Obama's advantage.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 3:32pm On Jan 05, 2008
Black America's biggest problem with Obama is that he is not "the descendant of slaves". Many don't see Africans as one of theirs.To a large extent,a lot of our racial solidarity with African-Americans is not reciprocated.

It is a fact that America as advanced as it is, is one of the most racist nation in the world.

Yes,coming from a continent and nation where tribalism reigns supreme.Obama won in Iowa,what are the chances of someone from Enugu state defeating rivals from Anambra in an election held in Anambra? Can an Ogun state indigene win gubernatorial elections in Lagos?

Make una dey cool down with your hyperbole.If you want racism, go to Russia and other Eastern European nations.Would a black or half-black man have any hope in India,China or Lebanon if he was a citizen of those nations?
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Bankole01(m): 3:54pm On Jan 05, 2008
I-man:

Black America's biggest problem with Obama is that he is not "the descendant of slaves". Many don't see Africans as one of theirs.To a large extent,a lot of our racial solidarity with African-Americans is not reciprocated.

Yes,coming from a continent and nation where tribalism reigns supreme.Obama won in Iowa,what are the chances of someone from Enugu state defeating rivals from Anambra in an election held in Anambra? Can an Ogun state indigene win gubernatorial elections in Lagos?

Make una dey cool down with your hyperbole.If you want racism, go to Russia and other Eastern European nations.Would a black or half-black man have any hope in India,China or Lebanon if he was a citizen of those nations?
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Bankole01(m): 3:59pm On Jan 05, 2008
Bankole01:

I-man:

Black have not been as exposed in these nations as they are in America.
America is also more urban than Nigeria. Nigerians are also less mobile and cling to ancestral homes more than Americans,
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Horus(m): 4:02pm On Jan 05, 2008
New Hampshire was among the last state in the nation to recognize Martin Luther King Day. It wasn’t until 2000 that the state recognized the holiday.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 4:12pm On Jan 05, 2008
Bankole01:

Black have not been as exposed in these nations as they are in America.
America is also more urban than Nigeria. Nigerians are also less mobile and cling to ancestral homes more than Americans,

These are just excuses.The statement you made is incompatible with the reality of our world.

If you said America is the most racist,amongst the most "urban" nations on earth,that is a different issue.Racism is not just about black-white relations.How ethnic Russians treat Chechens tells us a lot about their own racial prejudice,just as much as how whites treat Blacks in America.

In Nigeria,someone from Enugu LGA will find it virtually impossible to defeat someone from Udi in Udi.Wetin you go call that one? When Ife-Modakeke,Aguleri-Umuleri,e.t.c can't live together,you dey complain about America
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Bankole01(m): 4:28pm On Jan 05, 2008
I-man:

In Nigeria,someone from Enugu LGA will find it virtually impossible to defeat someone from Udi in Udi.Wetin you go call that one? When Ife-Modakeke,Aguleri-Umuleri,e.t.c can't live together,you dey complain about America

Complain about America? Far from it my good man. I grew up in America and am one of the more priviledged in my State.
America has been very good to me personally.
This however is not about me, but about the mindset of people far and wide in the nation.
Neighborhoods here are more segregated than in most Western nations.
There predominantly white neighborhoods, where I would personally venture to live in, even if allowed and left to live in peace. There are latino neighborhoods, where anyone not fitting, would frowed upon.
There are Jewish neighborhoods, Italian, Polish, Irish, etc neighborhoods. There are ofcourse predominantly black affluent neighborhoods.

This is just the fact of America and its demographics. Not a complaint or put-down.

Real-Estate and Insurance professionals will stare you away from white neighhoods, while red-lining black neighborhoods. You pay higher utilities and for services like cable in black neighborhoods also.

There is racial profiling, where police will stop you more often if you are of the darker color and or in white neighborhoods. This is part of the institutionalised racism in America!
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by RichyBlacK(m): 9:25pm On Jan 05, 2008
Bankole01:

Complain about America? Far from it my good man. I grew up in America and am one of the more priviledged in my State.
America has been very good to me personally.
This however is not about me, but about the mindset of people far and wide in the nation.
Neighborhoods here are more segregated than in most Western nations.
There predominantly white neighborhoods, where I would personally venture to live in, even if allowed and left to live in peace. There are latino neighborhoods, where anyone not fitting, would frowed upon.
There are Jewish neighborhoods, Italian, Polish, Irish, etc neighborhoods. There are ofcourse predominantly black affluent neighborhoods.

This is just the fact of America and its demographics. Not a complaint or put-down.

Real-Estate and Insurance professionals will stare you away from white neighhoods, while red-lining black neighborhoods. You pay higher utilities and for services like cable in black neighborhoods also.

There is racial profiling, where police will stop you more often if you are of the darker color and or in white neighborhoods. This is part of the institutionalised racism in America!

Very true!

I'm hopeful that things are already changing gradually.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by bawomol(m): 12:32am On Jan 06, 2008

no i won't want poor people to bear the tax burden. but what benefits do tax cuts have other than shifting the tax burden?
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Horus(m): 3:38pm On Jan 06, 2008
Obama-mania in New Hampshire as new poll shocks Clinton camp

New Hampshire 06 January 2008

Senator Barack Obama has been catapaulted by his Iowa victory into a sensational lead over Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire, just three days before the state's primary on Tuesday. The national pollster, Rasmussen Reports, which had Mr Obama trailing Mrs Clinton by three points just a few weeks ago, now gives him a lead of 10 per cent. The Republican poll has Senator John McCain improving his position against Mitt Romney and now holding a five-point lead.A foretaste of the way the wind is blowing here for the Clinton camp came on Friday night. Just over 3,000 activists of the New Hampshire Democratic Party gathered in an indoor sports hall in the city of Milford to listen to their candidates for the presidential nomination. Not the sort of folk to rush the stage or indulge in boos.

For months, Mrs Clinton has led polls here and has seemed unassailable. Yet, anyone attending the party's "100 Club" dinner here will surely know she faces a possible mincing on Tuesday thanks to one man."All Fired Up! Ready to Go!" Barack Obama, the victor among Democrats in Iowa, was the last scheduled speaker, and this was the chant that erupted even before he reached the stage. A security announcement followed: please take your seats! As if. And when the Senator from Illinois finally did step to the microphone, he struggled to make himself heard, such was the explosion of enthusiasm.This was not some campus affair attended by mad-for-Barack students. (And they are legion.) We are talking about middle-aged white folks and the elite of the state's Democrat Party waving their signs and yelling a decidedly non-Anglo-Saxon name. O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA! And this in New Hampshire, the last state to honour Martin Luther King Day in January as an official holiday.Mrs Clinton did have her fans in the Astro-turfed hall. But if this event was a straw poll by voice, she will crash here on Tuesday, as she did with her third place in Iowa, and the dream, shared with husband Bill, of becoming the first woman in the White House will all but dissolve. She looked tired and when, twice, her remarks drew groans and even a few boos, you knew she heard them.For her and probably also for Governor Romney, Tuesday may thus be make-or-break time. Iowa has had its say and the impact has been huge. This will be the first fully fledged primary election, kicking off the state-by-state primaries battle for the party nominations, and New Hampshire has a strong record of picking candidates who go on to be nominees and presidents.All the runners were again fanning out yesterday, straining to recover ground lost in Iowa or vying, in the cases of Mike Huckabee and Senator Obama, to maintain momentum. In different ways, most of them were peddling a single theme: their ability to bring change to Washington.For Mr Romney, it is an avenue for attacking Mr McCain, whose campaign, shrivelled just months ago, has shown new signs of resurgence. But the Arizona war hero is 71 years old and a long-time fixture on Capitol Hill. "The American people recognise we are not going to change Washington by sending back the same old faces and having them just change chairs," Mr Romney said at a rally here yesterday.The pressure on him is huge. He spent wildly in Iowa and still only came second. He has a house in New Hampshire and was Governor of Massachusetts right next door. The good news is that Mr Huckabee is not so well placed here because, while Iowa is home to very large numbers of Christian conservatives who flocked to him, here they represent just 3 per cent of voters. It is Senator McCain he must beat.Meanwhile, back at the "100 Club" dinner, the reception for Mr Obama took some of Clinton's supporters by surprise. Ellen Fineberg, 56, of Portsmouth, likes his oratory but insists that Hillary's message is more substantive if less soaring. "It is less sexy to speak realistically about what will work, what her experience tells her will work," she said. "I have seen Obama four times now and each time I leave thinking I should support this guy. But somehow I just don't."The senator has not closed the deal with her, but it seems that on a decibel count she  and Hillary – may be slipping into a minority among New Hampshire Democrats.

Source: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article3312828.ece
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by McKren(m): 12:12am On Jan 08, 2008
But why was Hilary crying today in Newhampshire
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Ndipe(m): 1:12am On Jan 08, 2008
That she choked over emotions implies that Hilary was stunned by her defeat in Iowa. Did you watch how she sparred viciously against Barack Obama on Saturday? The lady did not see it coming, she probably anticipated a clear victory in Iowa. She is the same lady, who, according to at least one publication that she had demanded for absolute loyalty from her contributors.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by EmekaNaija(m): 4:22am On Jan 08, 2008
@Ndipe

Not only that, Clinton is already budging to emotions apart from a sense of desperation. She even shed a tear today during a Q & A session. To become a President is not an emotional thing, it requires courage and strenght even in face of defeat. Her shedding a tear is her greatest undoing, not even the attacks on Obama. It is already rumored that once she loses at the NH caucuses, some of her campaign managers would get the sack.
I am not scared to say it once more - Clinton would lose again in NH then the doubting thomases would now that Obama is on a roll. Todays polls suggest 39% for Obama, 30% for Clinton, 24 hours to NH caucuses. I still believe John Edwards has a better chance to pick up the democratic nomination ahead of Clinton. Edwards realises this and is already in an unsigned pact with Obama. I guess his (Edwards) calculations is that if Clinton could be forced out of the race, then it could be easier for him to beat Obama in a 2 way race.
OBAMA for white house. NH get ready!
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by dayokanu(m): 9:07am On Jan 08, 2008
Obama straight!!!! I used to feel for Clinton but when I saw her remarks that were directed head on at Obama I lost all respect for her. She is just another dirty player.

Obama would beat her black and blue. [b]Ride on the King Barack Obama [/b]Is it!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by omoge(f): 4:53pm On Jan 08, 2008
Hillary is a player.

Hillary gave her supporters shovels to shovel snows. They all went to sleep after doing that hectic work of sholving snows. Woke up and gbosa Obama got it cheesy

They all doing a good job. Wish Nigeria politics was same undecided
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by mazaje(m): 6:54pm On Jan 08, 2008
Obama is a uniter who every body can work with to get things done, he represents the future while hillary is is very polarizing and represents the past. The Audacity of HOPE!
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by kosovo(m): 7:39pm On Jan 08, 2008
jobless people.
i cant seems to understand why u guys waste all your little resources talkin trash.
after all the noise you guys made during APRIL election, what came out of it. i could still remember some contribuors on that issue, afilipal and fiasco was was the end product. so who cares? me nah.
i dont give a fuckin damn to whoever  is the bloody person to win the election.
humans, easily deceived, you think the next president is not yet know by the lords and femainces.
 pls continue talkin,. voice of afrikans.ACCEPT MA SYMPATHY
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Afam(m): 7:53pm On Jan 08, 2008
Obama kind of resembles Mandela sha, abi dem relate too?
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by merge(f): 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2008
Obama is not going to win the general election Mcain will win in the end.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by kosovo(m): 8:15pm On Jan 08, 2008
merge,
contuinue with your unreliestic dreams. u dont even have idea of the america politics historically.
 grow up information wise before u make comments.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

(PHOTO) 3 Men Deported From Saudi Arabia For Being “too Attractive” For Women / Zimbabwe Policeman Jailed For Using Mugabe's Toilet / Slavery In The Americas And West Indies - More Shocking Than Imagined

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.