Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,852 members, 7,813,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa (4101 Views)

Ted Cruz Defeats Donald Trump, Wins Iowa / Hillary Clinton Declared Victory In Iowa Caucus / American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by RichyBlacK(m): 4:38am On Jan 04, 2008
Obama wins convincing victory in Iowa

By Christi Parsons and John McCormick

Tribune political reporters

8:53 PM CST, January 3, 2008

DES MOINES

Fueled by record turnout among young and new voters, Sen. Barack Obama won an historic and convincing victory in the Iowa caucuses Thursday night, a win that validated his status as a leading candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination.

He handily defeated both Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York and former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, ending any talk of Clinton as her party's presumptive favorite.

The win propels Obama to New Hampshire with a strong wind behind him with only four days remaining before the first-in-the nation primary. A strong turnout from independent voters helped deliver the victory.

Turnout surged for all Democrats, easily surpassing the 125,000 voters in the 2004 primary with only two-thirds of the vote counted.

Obama's message of change clearly trumped Clinton's pitch about experience.

As many expected, Obama was helped by young voters, who turned out in big numbers, according to entrance polling. Older voters and those who believed experience was most important tended to back Clinton.

The polling, conducted for the Associated Press and television networks, showed that about one in five Democratic caucus participants was under 30, about twice as many as in the past. More than half of those young voters expressed preference for Obama.

More than half of the Democrats participating, meanwhile, were attending their first caucus. Obama also led among that group, as he did among those who said it was most important that a candidate "bring about needed change."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-obama-iowa,0,6215671.story
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by bawomol(m): 5:07am On Jan 04, 2008
good win 4 obama. but hillary and john edwards are loved by the liberals in new hampshire.the real winner is john edwards who spent nothing in iowa but still got those conservatives to vote 4 him.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Mustay(m): 6:43am On Jan 04, 2008
[size=18pt]Am so happy about this[/size] cool cool cool
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by davidif: 7:28am On Jan 04, 2008
Yeah i just saw it on the news and i am happy. I would love to see either Hillary or Obama win the primaries, but truth is i am not american and even if i was, i couldn't vote for a party that supports abortion.  Roe v. Wade must be overturned.

On a side note, this is the only time that the spot light is ever on Iowa grin grin grin (once every 4 years ha ha ha), i would never ever EVER want to live in a state like that, the only thing good about Iowa is driving through it. It is so rural, quiet, boring and the only thing they have over there is corn (yes, agbado and plenty of it  grin  grin )
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by dayokanu(m): 7:32am On Jan 04, 2008
Hip Hip Obama Great news. Welcome Senator Barack Obama to the white house though this Huckabee guy could be dangerous too
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by OgidiBoy(m): 7:47am On Jan 04, 2008
I'm a strong republican, but I'll rather vote for Obama before I give my vote to Huckabee, enough of those southern rednecks in the white house it's about time we get some kind of flavor "soul" in Pennsylvania avenue.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by ndubest(m): 8:26am On Jan 04, 2008
Goodnews for Obama cheesy cheesy cheesy

though the race is still long
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by oldie(m): 10:08am On Jan 04, 2008
OgidiBoy:

I'm a strong republican, but I'll rather vote for Obama before I give my vote to Huckabee, enough of those southern rednecks in the white house it's about time we get some kind of flavor "soul" in Pennsylvania avenue.

Colour is more than skin deep grin
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 12:56pm On Jan 04, 2008
The most capable in the presidential race are Rudy Guiliani,Mitt Romney and Hillary Clinton .Obama represents good soundbite but has little to offer in terms of well thought out policy positions.

If you are into superficiality-skin colour and wonderful rhetoric-go for Obama,for those less superficial than the rest;Clinton,Romney and Rudy offer more than nice soundbites.Rhetoric and skin colour won't put food on people's tables nor will it safeguard US national security interests.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by almondjoy(f): 1:13pm On Jan 04, 2008
Let us congratulate the Republicans in advance********No need for one vote cast by yours truly kiss

Good strategy by the Republicans
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Seun(m): 1:19pm On Jan 04, 2008
I don't understand why people are taking the republicans seriously this year.
Any more Bush-like antics in the white house and the whole world may be destabilized.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by mazaje(m): 1:40pm On Jan 04, 2008
I-man:

The most capable in the presidential race are Rudy Guiliani,Mitt Romney and Hillary Clinton .Obama represents good soundbite but has little to offer in terms of well thought out policy positions.

If you are into superficiality-skin colour and wonderful rhetoric-go for Obama,for those less superficial than the rest;Clinton,Romney and Rudy offer more than nice soundbites.Rhetoric and skin colour won't put food on people's tables nor will it safeguard US national security interests.

Why all the conclusions? who told you that the names you listed above are better than Obama? How are they better than him? The same thing was said about former president bill clintion when he came out in 92 most people said he was a joke and will never deliver but he proved the pundits wrong, Obama is the man American needs right now. I very much believe that if given the chance he will perform very well.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by toshmann(m): 1:56pm On Jan 04, 2008
you guys will be decieving yourselves if you think that americans will watch a black man with a black wife and black kids . . . . complete black family . . . come to live in the white house grin grin grin grin

obama is the best candidate, but i think nigeria will have an ibo president before america thinks of a black president with a white wife. . . . . . how much more one with a black wife grin grin grin

let's be real
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Seun(m): 2:01pm On Jan 04, 2008
The (in)famous Condoleeza Rice is a black woman. lipsrsealed
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 2:07pm On Jan 04, 2008
@mazaje

Rudy and Romney have real world experience.Maybe I shouldn't have included Clinton in that list.

For instance,compare Obama to Romney.Romney matches and surpasses Obama's academic credentials.In addition,Romney is a successful businessman who was former CEO Bain & Company.He has been a successful Governor of a liberal state,that is experience in the executive branch of Govt.He started and ran a succesful private equity firm.

Rudy Guliani,good academic credentials and long history of public service.He was a highly successful public prosecutor and he was also highly successful in private practice.As mayor of New York,executive experience running the world's financial capital,he excelled himself.

Obama has little real world experience by comparison.This guy has just about 10 years work experience.Most of his adult life has been either spent in the legislative branch or as a student.His actual achievements are few and far between.What major legislation has he sponsored as Senator? How does his CV compare to Rudy and Romney's stellar achievement?
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by toshmann(m): 2:10pm On Jan 04, 2008
in other words. . . you are a republican tongue
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by oldie(m): 2:12pm On Jan 04, 2008
Obama has youth on his side
Still too early to predict how the pendulum will swing later.
My heart says Obama.
But my head says there will be a white American woman in the white house before a black man
Whatever it is Obama's victory makes me proud!
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 2:16pm On Jan 04, 2008
toshmann:

you guys will be decieving yourselves if you think that americans will watch a black man with a black wife and black kids . . . . complete black family . . . come to live in the white house grin grin grin grin

How is someone whose mother is white a black man? At best,he is half-black.

toshmann:

in other words. . . you are a republican tongue

Compare and contrast CVs,lets stop being parochial in these things. You agree Obama's credentials are not as inspiring as Romney and Rudy and I will agree that Liverpool can finish in the top 4 grin
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by toshmann(m): 2:20pm On Jan 04, 2008
I-man:

Compare and contrast CVs,lets stop being parochial in these things. You agree Obama's credentials are not as inspiring as Romney and Rudy and I will agree that Liverpool can finish in the top 4 grin

keep liverpool out of this angry
wetin dey worry you angry angry

americans dont want the republicans anymore. . . . . . . . . edwards is the next president cheesy

and not the f-cking republicans tongue
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by RichyBlacK(m): 2:29pm On Jan 04, 2008
My mother will become the president of the United States of America before Rudy Giuliani will seat behind the Resolute desk. grin

Who dash monkey banana. undecided

Giuliani ko Gamalin 20 ni.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 2:36pm On Jan 04, 2008
toshmann:

keep liverpool out of this angry
wetin dey worry you angry angry

americans don't want the republicans anymore. . . . . . . . . edwards is the next president cheesy

and not the f-cking republicans tongue

Yes f. . .cking Republicans like Lincoln helped end slavery,same Republicans in Congress voted for the Civil Rights Act at a higher proportion than their Democrat counterparts.

What America needs is "divided Govt". When Clinton was in the White House and Democrats controlled Congress,his popularity fell to the mid 30s.Same thing has happened to Bush during his tenure.

If you have one party controlling both the executive and legislative branches,things always take a turn for the worse.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jan 04, 2008
I-man dont decieve yourself . . . Obama will surprise many at these primaries. I never expected him to win Iowa and here we are.

If he wins NH (emphasis on IF because that is an even stiffer test) then you may as well wrap up this nomination as black voters, just waiting for the signal that whites were prepared to vote for Obama, will be out in full force. . .
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 2:43pm On Jan 04, 2008
@davidylan

Obama won in Iowa partly because he was the underdog.Iowa is largely insignificant anyway. Didn't Bill Clinton lose overwhelmingly in Iowa?I don't think the Democrats even held primaries in Iowa in 1996.McCain took Iowa against Bush for the 2000 elections

There is enough inherent racism in America to stop Obama.His bandwagon will only continue for as long as he isn't the leading candidate.Once he becomes one,many white and latino voters will recoil at the thought of putting an African-American in the White House

Its sad but my consolation is that he wouldn't have made a great president anyway.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by vigasimple(m): 2:44pm On Jan 04, 2008
Stastics don't lie. OBAMA vote from rural white middle west america of 91% white. Maybe it is defining moment in American history as obama said, time will tell.

The other stats is that he also won all the other groups from the youth, newcomers, first timer to woman vote, all income group. the only one he didn't win is the elderly women vote(which are her own HRC age range). To do so with about 8% margin say something.

One more statistica that the GOP now knows that they are on the rope is the turnout in IOWA primarily due to OBAMA- 239,000 for democrats to 116,000 for Republican nearly double, if this were to be repeated nationally, only GOD himself will stop OBAMA for the GOP.

If this pattern even repeat itself up to super tuesday 5th Feb 2008 then whoever is the GOP candidate will just be helping them to make concession speech. In order words the odds is even more stark aginst the GOP with Fresh boy OBAMA.

The America people want change not with experience, something fresh from different persepctives with new beginings, he is attratcing independents and republicans alike and he is connecting.

IN OTHER WORDS CHANGE WON OVER EXPERIENCE. So all those experience is what the people say they don't want anymore, they want somebody refreshing and untainted with washington and 911 politics.

If he wins New hampshire or come close second then he is on his way( opinion polls have him at worst now of 6% behing HRC before IOWA result with a lot of undecided independent at 45% and pundit said it between him and Mccain)-

If they are fired up and ready to go, He will be like a rocket, ain't nothing stopping him then. all the Republican candidate apart from Hucakabee and Romney are from the old school and may just not be enough for the young firery, charistmatic and straight talking Barack Obama.

If he can beat Hilary soundly in N.H he will not only win Democratic nomination but he win the white House. Recently we have woman speaker of the House and don't be surprised that we may have the first Black President.

Infact, if the youth turn out in N.H as they turn out in Iowa and all over the country for Barack OBAMA then even his opponent will conceed quicker and negotiate for the post of VP and Secretary of State.

Also a record turnout is partly attributed to Barack OBAMA fresh start change campaign. They saw a man with a vision, he oppossed IRAQ war when it is unpopular to do as an American, that is judgement for you and not silly experience which always get America into trouble.

Even all OBAMA opponent criticised him for saying that he will talk to so called 'rogue states' without precondition, days later they start joining in the bandwagon. He is a leader, others are meant to follow. GO OBAMA

This man reminds me of one guy call Tiger woods. when he plays Golf, it is like he is conjuring up magic like abradacadbra and once is neck and neck against you or slightly behind or with nose in front just make sure you negotiate the runners up prize before someone else takes it. I even saw some clips at one of the Nationals (majors) in Augusta, when a veteran commentator of more than 30 years said 'here comes Master Woods.' That is the highest accolade when they see a man way ahead of them (white folks)and his own time as long as you the person don't bring your race into serious play as if doubting yourself.

When America sees a genius they melt and Race suddenly become purple, no more black or white and as in politics no more Red or blue state. Even they show some clips here hours before the vote and those women were saying that he sound like one of them and not a typical politician

For what it is worth, even after he may have won and go to the white House and won a
re-election to serve a second term (these are all hypotethicals), there would still be a thousand doubting Thomases as in our Lord Jesus christ having the same. such is life. that makes you human.

It may also be that the Americans are willing to throw the dice and wish themselves goodluck and stretch a  little bit further. but considering everything even if OBAMA were to lose he has matched HRC in everything including fund raising. Let me tell you that money is everything in America. And for Americans to give OBAMA $80M of their money at grassroot level then that is element of trust compare to well known and established candidate of HRC who raises $90M

Things will be come directional after N.H but certainly by 5th February 2008, a definitive picture will emerge.

A note of caution though for the OBAMA supporters HRC still holds big leads in other most polls around the country, but we all know the fluidity of those polls when majority are undecided independent and republicans and first timers. If they however repeat IOWA in those other states those independent and democratic learning Republicans will rather vote OBAMA than HRC.

God bless me good, good luck to America.

N.B. I hear that MANDIBA, NELSON MANDELA IS ON THE LOOK AT FOR TICKET TO GO FOR OBAMA INAUGURATION WHEN GOD PUT HIM INTO THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE WORLD. I can't wait to see history in my lifetime. I have audacity to dream, hope and see it materialise.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Blatant: 2:48pm On Jan 04, 2008
I-man:

How is someone whose mother is white a black man? At best,he is half-black.

God bless you my brother
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by RichyBlacK(m): 2:50pm On Jan 04, 2008
I-man:

For instance,compare Obama to Romney.Romney matches and surpasses Obama's academic credentials.[/b]In addition,Romney is a successful businessman who was former CEO Bain & Company.He has been a successful Governor of a liberal state,that is experience in the executive branch of Govt.He started and ran a succesful private equity firm.

This is how Republican sycophants try to distort the issues. For the records:

* Obama: Havard Law School, Juris Doctor, [b]magna c um laude
, 1991
* Romney: Havard Law School, Juris Doctor, c um laude, 1975

Romney also got an MBA from Harvard but Obama chose not to. Their Harvard Law School background is the only institution-degree commonality between them.

So the questions is: How is it that "Romney matches and surpasses Obama's academic credentials"?

For those not familiar with Latin honors, c um laude translates to "with praise", while magna c um laude translates to "with great praise"
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jan 04, 2008
I-man:

@davidylan

Obama won in Iowa partly because he was the underdog.Iowa is largely insignificant anyway. Didn't Bill Clinton lose overwhelmingly in Iowa?I don't think the Democrats even held primaries in Iowa in 1996.McCain took Iowa against Bush for the 2000 elections

There is enough inherent racism in America to stop Obama.His bandwagon will only continue for as long as he isn't the leading candidate.Once he becomes one,many white and latino voters will recoil at the thought of putting an African-American in the White House

Its sad but my consolation is that he wouldn't have made a great president anyway.

You make a very valid point . . . which is why i am not celebrating this "victory" yet. Seems the Clinton camp is fully aware of this racial divide and are going to capitalise on it.

Lets see what happens in NH first. The impossible could happen.
I notice though that most of Obama's votes came from the under-30's . . . can he sustain that momentum? Clinton pretty much has the older generation votes sewn up.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 2:58pm On Jan 04, 2008
RichyBlacK:

This is how Republican sycophants try to distort the issues. For the records:

* Obama: Havard Law School, Juris Doctor, magna c um laude , 1991
* Romney: Havard Law School, Juris Doctor, c um laude, 1975

Romney also got an MBA from Harvard but Obama chose not to. Their Harvard Law School background is the only institution-degree commonality between them.

So the questions is: How is it that "Romney matches and surpasses Obama's academic credentials"?

For those not familiar with Latin honors, c um laude translates to "with praise", while magna c um laude translates to "with great praise"

Brigham Young University, where he graduated as valedictorian, earning his Bachelor of Arts degree summa come laude in 1971. In 1975, Romney graduated from a joint Juris Doctor/Master of Business Administration program coordinated between Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School. He graduated come laude from the law school and was named a Baker Scholar for graduating in the top five percent of his business school class.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney

Romney graduated summa cum laude in his undergraduate degree while achieving cum laude in a joint in a joint JD and MBA program while graduating in the top 5% of the HBS class

Doing one MBA at HBS or one JD at HLS is tough enough,combining both is remarkable!Obama chose not to do an MBA?Well,Shagari also chose not to go to University.
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 04, 2008
lol @ I-man . . .
Academic credentials may not count at this point. Pls leave our Shagari alone . . . grin cheesy grin

Does anyone think Huckabee can go far?
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 3:03pm On Jan 04, 2008
Did I add that Romney finished his MBA at HBS and JD at HLS at the age of 22? Obama finished at HLS at the age of 30! There are people on this thread who would have finished their PHD long before the age of 30,never mind JD. grin
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by RichyBlacK(m): 3:07pm On Jan 04, 2008
I-man:

Brigham Young University, where he graduated as valedictorian, earning his Bachelor of Arts degree summa come laude in 1971. In 1975, Romney graduated from a joint Juris Doctor/Master of Business Administration program coordinated between Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School. He graduated come laude from the law school and was named a Baker Scholar for graduating in the top five percent of his business school class.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney

Romney graduated summa come laude in his undergraduate degree while achieving come laude in a joint in a joint JD and MBA program while graduating in the top 5% of the HBS class

Doing one MBA at HBS or one JD at HLS is tough enough,combining both is remarkable!Obama chose not to do an MBA?Well,Shagari also chose not to go to University.

See this guy, you're arguing about MBA? Abeg leave story!

You made a comment on academic credentials and I showed you a valid but imperfect comparison. Imperfect because they graduated 16 years apart from HLS.

Romney getting an extra degree is not necessarily evidence of superior academic credentials. Why are you avoiding the magna c um laude Obama got.

Also, Obama was elected president of the Harvard Law Review! Ol boy, forget talk, no be beans!
Re: Obama Crushes Clinton and Edwards in Iowa by Iman3(m): 3:11pm On Jan 04, 2008
davidylan:

lol @ I-man . . .
Academic credentials may not count at this point. Please leave our Shagari alone . . . grin cheesy grin

Does anyone think Huckabee can go far?

In comparing academic credentials,someone who has both an MBA and a JD from Harvard at the age of 22 is better than one who achieved only a JD at the age of 30 because he "chose" not to obtain an MBA.To the extent that we are comparing academic credentials,Romney's "choice" makes his more impressive.

Of course,academic credentials don't really matter that much in the Presidential race though,just correcting RichyBlack who impulsively googles info without carefully scrutinising it.

I can't stand Huckabee!I'm sure many Democrats are secretely wishing that he will win.He has nothing to offer in terms of foreign policy or economics .His popularity lies in being culturally conservative but the US President has no effect on the culture of the nation.

The best he can do is appoint conservative judges but Rudy,Thompson and Romney will do that anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: London Terror Attacker Is Yoruba - New York Times / Is China A Threat To World Peace And Security? / (PHOTO) 3 Men Deported From Saudi Arabia For Being “too Attractive” For Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.