Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,025 members, 7,828,599 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

+++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ (2129 Views)

Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

+++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 01, 2012
Hello Friends,

I know perfectly well that there are genuine business people on nairaland auto section like Calculusx, sienna, femmy 2010, fhemmy, viperman, inspired, chelseabmw just to mention a few who are able to pre-order cars for clients they meet on nairaland and successfully deliver it.

But just to also let you know that in as much as there are genuine people, they are also dubious people who do not have ANY VERIFIABLE address. They claim to have travelled to US, UK etc and have sent cars to Nigeria and Cotonou to their business allies. They seem to have agents that help them clear cars at Nigeria Ports and Cotonou ports.

Recently, I have put up some adverts on nairaland autos and car talk requesting for a sienna i would like to buy. Reccently also, someone whose identity i would prefer to conceal sent me an email saying he can get a 2000 Sienna for N910,000. That his agents will clear the sienna at Tincan and I would have it for N910,000 (total cost) At least I know the price is about N1,250,000 in Lagos. He sent some pictures of the sienna with the VIN no. I was able to search for the car online without his help and behold it was a very clean sienna.

Now, to negotiation. I called him on phone with his +4477... number like 3 times and we discussed. He said he would prefer if I pre-order the car. That is pay part of the money so he could get the sienna for me.

I sent him an email that i was not comfortable with the arrangement at all since a family member of mine had been cheated before. He sympathised but still insisted I do the pre-order. I didnt suspect anything was wrong but I decided to try another strategy.

I told him that I would not mind adding some money to N910,000 so he should let me know how much I could add to the N910,000 but I will only be able to pay all the money once the car has been cleared at Tincan by his agents. As I expected, he said he said it was not about the additional money but 'his business has grown over the past 3 years with pre-order and he was comfortable with that alone. He completely did not agree to my proposals.

Hence, I decided to warn EVERYONE to beware of foreign based car scammers that get your personal information and decide to get in touch with you. Of course there will still be genuine guys out there abroad doing car business but make sure they have verifiable addresses.

Am really sorry for taking too much of your time reading this long piece but i am sure it will help some out there.

3 Likes

Re: +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by dandollar1: 7:36pm On Sep 01, 2012
May God deliver us from fraudsters. cry
Re: +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 01, 2012
dan_dollar: May God deliver us from fraudsters. cry
you're too hasty to come to such conclusion.
the guy might be genuine.
lnspired m would have made such statement if he's the person concerned.

lt may be biz policy undecided
Re: +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by Emperoh(m): 11:37pm On Sep 01, 2012
I really don't know how you came to the conclusion that you want to be scammed, because looking at your argument,
that is basically how a pre-order works.

I won't import a car i am not sure you will buy. Not everybody has the luxury of tying his money down
on a car in car lot waiting for a buyer. It is however inaccurate to conclude that because the young man didn't agree to your terms,
you were to be scammed.

That being said, there are scammers out there and we should be careful.
Re: +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by tobensin84: 11:57pm On Sep 01, 2012
pls i want to know is anyone has at anytime buy car from googletrader
i saw a car iwant to buy and the seller said i need to send transport money for the driver to deliver to my state
has anyone transact bussiness that way before
Re: +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by BizBooks(m): 12:07am On Sep 02, 2012
@Poster,

Maybe there is something you have not told us. But what you have said so far does not
suggest fraud. Correct me if I'm wrong but here's a summary of your argument:

1. Someone offered to pre-order a 2000 Toyota Sienna for you for N910,000
2. You found it suspicious because the car is being sold for N1,250,000 in Lagos
3. He asked you to make a deposit
4. You refused and asked him to use his money to buy, ship and clear the car before you pay
5. He refused and insisted you make a deposit
6. You offered to buy the car at a higher price after the car is shipped and cleared by him
7. He refused your offer of more money
8. You conclude he is a fraudster

I hate to tell you this but if you contact any car dealer here, they will almost certainly
tell you the same thing. So unless there is something you have not told us, I see no evidence
of fraud here.

3 Likes

Re: +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by tobensin84: 4:24pm On Sep 03, 2012
its you dont understand me
i never call him a fraudster, i only ask for advice, since have not done it before
what i saw on googletrader is this
i saw a golf4 for 300,000 the dealer is from kano
after we talked he said i should transport money to his bank account
which is N20,000
the question am asking is as anyone done such deal from google trader...
and the deal was successful
Re: +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by BizBooks(m): 9:34pm On Sep 03, 2012
@tobensin84,

I was responding to Chiebube not you. Regarding cars on Google Trader, don't risk your money
there. You will most certainly get duped. You are better off dealing with the numerous credible
dealers here on Nairaland.
Re: +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by dollz(f): 11:15am On Sep 04, 2012
GOLF4 FOR 300K.... grin grin grin grin

WHATS YOUR VIEW ON
Re: +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by burningspear(m): 11:17pm On Sep 05, 2012
@ chiebube, your accusation here makes no sense! You want him to spend his hard earned money to send you a car only for you to reject it and tie his money down? Imagine your reasoning? You think only about yourself! What if this man has no bad intentions, and only protecting his business? And you have already gone on this forum to condemn him! Why not get yourself a Sienna van in Lagos? You can even get it cheaper than N1.25m! I don't know this man you are slamming here (who has done you no wrong) neither am I defending any scam, but it hurts me when innocent and genuine people are defamed by the shallow minds who thrive in judging and condemning others!
What a poor post!!!
Re: +++++++beware Of Some Car Scam Fraudsters On Nairaland+++++++ by redcliff: 11:25pm On Sep 05, 2012
I totally agree with some comments made on this issue about vehicles being pre-ordered by individuals you are not sure about. There was no sign of any fraudulent intent on the part of the seller, but let me ask, when scammers start their convincings and what not, it always seems to be moving right until one party parts away with properties of the other party without fulfiling their part. I just think the poster is trying to be careful based on experiences of other people. If i were in his shoes, I would do the same and thats why you who is not a recognised and well known dealer should try to build up that trust u need people to have in you just like Inspired and the rest.

(1) (Reply)

Volvo Xc90 20004 Vs Toyota Rav4 2004 / How Good Are Hyundai Lantra Cars? / Is Mazda 3 2008 Model Good For Uber?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.