Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,059 members, 7,810,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? (4652 Views)

How To Trace The Details Of An Unknown Number Calling You / Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) / What's The Fuss About Killing Phone Calls? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? by luluosas(m): 9:51pm On Sep 01, 2012
Why Do People Usually Refuse To Answer Unknown Number Calls?
It is true that fraudsters and gangsters are capitalizing on the innocence of the unsuspecting public to perpetrate their nefarious activities using mobile communication mediums. It is also true that most people believed in the rumor of disappearing or dying suddenly after answering calls from strange numbers unknown to the receiver. No matter what the excuse one adduces for not answering calls from unknown callers, it is rather an act of wickedness or maybe one is feeling insecure to such activities.
Take for example. God forbids that your mother or father is kidnapped and those that took them into hostage called you to demand for ransom from you. Meanwhile, because you have made it a policy never to answer strange calls from unknown numbers, you then put the life of your mother or father into greater danger. What a wicked policy of yours!
Let’s also say that your neighbors called you to report to you that your house is on fire. But, because you have made a policy never to answer strange calls, you foolishly ignore their calls and your house is razed down completely. Who will you blame?
More so, should your son/daughter get involved in a deadly motor accident and your phone number was discovered in their wallet and people calls you to tell you the situation, but you refuses to answer the calls because it is a policy that you will never answer unknown number calls. Should your children die as a result of your stupid policy, who will you hold responsible? You must think now!
Peradventure robbers snatched your car and the Nigerian police Force recovered it in a different State far away from your base. They keep on calling your phone number and you refuse to answer because the caller number is strange to you, will you recover your car? Wicked policy I must tell you.
Now, let’s say because you are a ‘big man’ (businessman/contractor), you decided to always refuse calls from unknown numbers, are you therefore contented? What if a government agency was calling you for a contract? You foolishly will lose it.
Maybe as a subscriber to any network provider in Nigeria, your service provider calls you to announce to you that, you have just won the sum of Ten Million Naira (N10,000,000) in their promo and you say, ‘I will never answer a strange call’ from anyone. Maybe they keep calling you for 3 whole days and yet, you stubbornly refused to answer, what will you think of yourself when you get to know that you forfeited such amount by your stupidity? Think well.

Instances that will warrant any individual from answering calls from strange/unknown numbers abounds. Calls from interviewers, Frank’s Who Want To Be A Millionaire etc. You should therefore count the cost of your actions before you continue to reason along this low level path. A word they say is enough for the wise.
Communications especially by mobile devices such as handsets are met to exchange conversation between two people at different locations at the same time. Again, communication is ‘not’ between known people but including unknown as well. Should you therefore introduce this stupid and blind policy of not answering calls from strange numbers, you are only doing yourself. The aim of having a mobile phone is thereby defeated. I am quite sure that, before you created your mobile contacts running into several hundreds, you got the details from ‘UNKNOWN’ calls most times.
This attitude of not answering strange calls is widely displayed by those who at one time or the other may have been opportune to have traveled overseas especially those from the Southern part of Nigeria. I don’t really know their reason for their ignoble blind policy but, no matter what it may be, it is wicked. You should amend it now.
In my humble opinion, it is only bad personality that should be afraid to answer strange/unknown calls because, he/she do not know if such calls are from the law enforcement agents. Why will you lock yourself up in your own man-made PRISON?
Nevertheless, if you are so skeptical to answering strange/unknown calls from unknown numbers, what about calls from HIDDEN number? Ha! This will be calls from hell fire in your stupid imaginations. If you claim to be enlighten and yet, you are in the gang of ‘not answering calls from strange callers’, you are nothing but a joke. Correct your useless and needless policy before you do yourself. Think well!
All Rights Reserved lugardosas@gmail.com
Re: Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? by yvonne101: 2:04pm On Sep 03, 2012
I see your point. But I'm afraid it's different for me. When I get anonymous calls, they always turn out to be mostly from telemarketers. At other times, they're from misleading solicitors. There was even a time when it was a scammer who tried to scare me about a virus in my computer. So you see, it's always a nuisance call. But I agree with you, though, when you said an anonymous call might be important. I guess that's where voicemail is most helpful. If it is important, the caller can leave a message so I can call back if necessary.

1 Like

Re: Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? by yvonne101: 2:35pm On Sep 03, 2012
I'm just really tired of dealing with nuisance callers, especially telemarketers. They talk a lot and they make it really hard for you to say 'NO.' And one thing I observed, when they call you the first time and you answered, that is like a confirmation that your phone number is active and in service. That means, you're instantly added to their own call list. So expect repeated calls even after you repeatedly refuse. And it's frustrating.

And I'm not exaggerating. Just last month, I've had 34 calls and all of them were all nuisance calls. I got them all reported to http://www.callercenter.com and the FTC in an attempt to have them investigated.
Re: Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? by luluosas(m): 2:22am On Sep 05, 2012
yvonne101: I see your point. But I'm afraid it's different for me. When I get anonymous calls, they always turn out to be mostly from telemarketers. At other times, they're from misleading solicitors. There was even a time when it was a scammer who tried to scare me about a virus in my computer. So you see, it's always a nuisance call. But I agree with you, though, when you said an anonymous call might be important. I guess that's where voicemail is most helpful. If it is important, the caller can leave a message so I can call back if necessary.
You are very correct on the nuisance calls but, what if you called a relation in far place from you, who happened not to have your number and he refuses to answer your call based on the fact that, he never unknown calls, how will you feel at that instant?
Re: Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? by luluosas(m): 2:27am On Sep 05, 2012
yvonne101: I'm just really tired of dealing with nuisance callers, especially telemarketers. They talk a lot and they make it really hard for you to say 'NO.' And one thing I observed, when they call you the first time and you answered, that is like a confirmation that your phone number is active and in service. That means, you're instantly added to their own call list. So expect repeated calls even after you repeatedly refuse. And it's frustrating.

And I'm not exaggerating. Just last month, I've had 34 calls and all of them were all nuisance calls. I got them all reported to http://www.callercenter.com and the FTC in an attempt to have them investigated.
I guess this will 'only' be possible in a working climes but, like Nigeria my country, forget it. Here, even our useless service providers mal-treats us with impunity with government looking handicap and helpless to stop their madness.
Re: Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? by DONJAYREIZO(m): 2:53pm On Jan 10, 2016
Rendering of interior renovation of kwara state government House.

* Mini lounge

Re: Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? by aieromon(m): 7:07pm On Jan 10, 2016
DONJAYREIZO:
Picking unknown numbers can actually lead to disappearance but I'm not sure if it can cause death .it happened in my family when my cousin's dad/my aunt's husband disappeared after picking a call.he dropped his phone on the bed and since then till tomorrow he has been no where to be found. It also happened to my cousin's husband on there wedding day . He picked his call in his hotel room while preparing to go to the event venue and left the room .since then he has not been found till date. Its now over 4 years. So with this 2 cases ,I believe people could actually disappear by receiving an unknown call.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? by barackodam: 7:28pm On Jan 10, 2016
I sure do pick......in fact, I'm always restless when an unsaved number calls me, I strive to call the person back, most of the time it's just a pal......and then after confirming I'm like, "never knew twas you ooo, please, I'd call back"
grin
Re: Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jan 10, 2016
luluosas:

You are very correct on the nuisance calls but, what if you called a relation in far place from you, who happened not to have your number and he refuses to answer your call based on the fact that, he never unknown calls, how will you feel at that instant?
It wasn't like that from the beginning but telemarketers especially airtel as spoilt the whole show. just yesterday a number called me with his ID hidden. what do expect me to do in such cases
Re: Do You Answer Unknown Number Phone Calls? by luluosas(m): 1:19pm On Apr 15, 2016
asuustrike2009:

It wasn't like that from the beginning but telemarketers especially airtel as spoilt the whole show. just yesterday a number called me with his ID hidden. what do expect me to do in such cases
Well, it's up to you. But I think it is still better to answer. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Is Mtn Bis Capped Or........??? / I Want An Android Phone And My Budget Is #50000 / How Do I Unlock My Nokia 6210

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.