Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament (1253 Views)

Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? / Sexy Female Appointed Coach Of Men's Football Team / Female Model Appointed To Coach A Men's Football Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by Akolawole(m): 2:45pm On Apr 11, 2006
Football Pundits, Bookmakers and football supporters all over the world always tip a team to win major Tournaments.

In your own estimation, which team goes to a major tournament with high hope but come out being a flop.

Here is my list:

1) Nigeria's U-21 World cup team to Chile with Players like Etim "maradona" Esin, Nosa Osadolor, Adeolu Adekola etc, they were 14th out of 16 teams that went to that competition.

2) France World cup team to Korea/Japan 2002, with the likes of Thiery Henry, Viera, Zidane et la

3) Nigeria's 1998 World cup team. [ Note they are favourite after the Atlanta Success two-year earlier]. They were booted out in the second round.

4) Colombia's team to that world cup with the likes of Faustina Aspirilla, Late Escober etc.

Do you have any other team in mind. Let hear your views
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by nightrider: 3:37pm On Apr 11, 2006
i can't remember which world cup edition, but i think the brazillian team , with the great socrates was a huge flop.

The spanish team at france 98, booted out first round.

but i think the french team at korea/japan takes the cake.

henry highest goal scorer in england, trezeguet highest goal scorer in italy, djibril cisse highest goal scorer in france

and all three of them couldn't score a single goal. amazing!!!
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by salehm(m): 3:47pm On Apr 11, 2006
Here are mine;
1.The French Team @ the 2002 Korea/Japan World cup.

2.The Spanish team @ Euro 2004 in Portugal.

3.The Togolese National team @ the just concluded African Cup of Nations in Egypt With a very good team.

4.The nigerian National team in Korea/Japan World Cup Managing just a goal embarassed shocked sad angry
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by Akolawole(m): 5:36pm On May 02, 2006
More comments please guys.
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by hucarson(m): 5:41pm On May 02, 2006
France at 2002 World Cup(Defending champions who cld not even score a goal in 3 matches)
Chelsea at 2005/06 Carling cup (defending champions)
Argentina at 2002 world cup (A team with crespo,ortega,aimar and veron got booted out in the 1st round)
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by Akolawole(m): 10:23pm On May 02, 2006
@Hucarson

Major tournament?
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by Jackal(m): 10:30pm On May 02, 2006
Is Carling cup not competitive?
Although it wasn't years back until Jose rolled out a full arsenal of weapons last season.
It became competitive since then so blame Mourinho it.

Sorry about ur loss to Blackburn.
I told u Blackburn can sting weeks earlier.
U r lucky the points don't count.
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by Akolawole(m): 11:36pm On May 02, 2006
Jackal:

Is Carling cup not competitive?
Although it wasn't years back until Jose rolled out a full arsenal of weapons last season.
It became competitive since then so blame Mourinho it.

Sorry about your loss to Blackburn.
I told u Blackburn can sting weeks earlier.
U r lucky the points don't count.

From day one, you know i try to avoid you and your comments.

Did you watch the match?

If you do, tell us what happen?
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by hucarson(m): 12:41pm On May 03, 2006
I watched the match.
Blackburn was simply magical.
The only sore point was that Chelsea should have had a penalty when Mokoena tugged at Crespo's shirt.
Maybe the Ref saw it. Blackburn is chasing Europe and Chelsea has already won the league. The points don't get Chelsea anywhere further.
Do the math. The ref used simple diplomacy and besides it was a home match for Blackburn.
Blackburn played extremely well and made Chelsea work hard.
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by Skintite(f): 12:46pm On May 03, 2006
Definately France in korea/japan 2002
Nigeria in nations cup egypt

Chelsea, this year's champions league grin
Sorry akola, cudnt hold it back grin grin
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by 02(m): 1:35pm On May 03, 2006
U guys seem to have forgotten Holland And England.
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by Grizzly(m): 5:40pm On May 03, 2006
South Africa, AFCON 2OO6- Pathetic
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by GUNNER(f): 7:34pm On May 03, 2006
I GUESS MY CHOICE WOULD BE THE

FRENCH TEAM TO THE 2002 WORLD CUP

DESPITE THEIR ARRAY OF STARS THEY WERE BOOTED OUT IN THE 1ST ROUND

AND DID NOT EVEN MANAGE TO SCORE A GOAL

WHAT A FLOP
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by bolaoni(m): 7:42pm On May 05, 2006
USA 94:

Colombia: Faustino Aspiralla, Valderama, Rincon et al were booted out in the first to lowly rated USA, Romania and Switzerland

Will remember others later
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by LordimpaQQ: 7:46pm On May 05, 2006
french team 2002 world cup

spain, 1998 world cup

holland. and germany 1994 world cup

tunisia, 1994 AFCON
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by Akolawole(m): 10:39pm On May 05, 2006
@BolaOni

"Welcome back" !

I am expecting your comment on the thread you run away from. grin
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by bolaoni(m): 3:59pm On May 08, 2006
Which one is that Oga? Let me know b4 I make my defence

wink
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by spikelord(m): 12:29pm On May 15, 2006
Nigeria National Team to the 2002 World Cup and even Egypt 2006
France---- 2002 World Cup
I'll remember the rest later
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by lalaboi(m): 2:47pm On May 15, 2006
Helooooo. Arent we forgetn somtin. Man utd of al ppl culdnt make it past d group stage of d champs league. I also choose france 2 d 2002 world cup. Cant reali rememba som at d moment
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by twinstaiye(m): 9:20pm On May 15, 2006
France team 2 korea/japan 2002 and of course, chelsea team of 2005 and 2006 seasons who could not win uefa league 2 times in a row despite abramovich millions and loud mouth mourinho ratings.
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by spikelord(m): 11:13pm On May 15, 2006
It's like I am starting to remember one!
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by Akolawole(m): 12:37am On May 16, 2006
twinstaiye:

chelsea team of 2005 and 2006 seasons who could not win uefa league 2 times in a row despite abramovich millions and loud mouth mourinho ratings.

Chelsea is not dissapointing at all.

You need more than playing well to win UEFA Champions league. [Liverpool & Porto ].

Back to Back Premiership Champions with more than (90 points)

English FA Semi finalist

Charity Shield winner against your team.
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by spikelord(m): 10:30pm On May 16, 2006
:-x :-x :-x
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by spikelord(m): 10:31pm On May 16, 2006
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Dunno
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by sage(m): 12:11am On May 17, 2006
Brazil squad at the 82 world cup
Zico, Socrates etc
Re: Most Dissapointing Football Team To A Major Tournament by sammietos(m): 2:46pm On May 17, 2006
France 2002 world cup with world class players were still booted out in the first round
Argentina world cup 2002 favourites
Man Utd 2005/2006 Champions League
Spain 1998 World cup

(1) (Reply)

Have A Look At Arsenal's New Boy.the Guy Who Has Brought The Silva Lining. / What Was Drogba Thinking??? / Orange AFCON 2015 Qualifiers: Nigeria Vs Congo – (6th of September at 4 PM GMT)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.