Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,887 members, 7,810,416 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

The Failings Of The Movie Industry - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Failings Of The Movie Industry (808 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / The Movie Club (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Failings Of The Movie Industry by HorusRa(m): 12:31am On Jan 06, 2008
I am one of those that really appreciate the great stride that Nigerian movie { or can you call it soap opera } scene is making. It is indeed a welcome development which must in everyway be nurture carefully in order to use it for the celebration of who we truly are. One of the most potent force in the world is the power of the media especially the ones that finds their way into our living rooms . Be it television programmes, home movies, talk shows and what have you. And it is to this effect that we must be careful of what we allow into our consciousness for whether we are aware of it or not, these things molds, shapes how we think, act ,talk and reason.

Talking to some of people that  i know when I went home last, it dawned on me that what have been repeating itself more than anyother theme in Nigerian home movies actually is same thing that have held us back for so long and continue to hold an almost unimaginable power on  anybody who watches those movies. And that was the power of Juju or black magic or voodoo.
When I ask about some folks that I used to know,I was promptly informed that they are dead and that they were killed by people who don`t like the progress they are making in life. I was stunned. In the 21st century, I asked myself. I then asked if any autopsy was conducted to determine the cause of death, I was told no. Do anybody figure out what exactly killed these folks? Again, the answer was Nay. So how do you know what exactly killed them? I was summarily told that the witch-doctor said so. And that the Pastor confirmed it.

Another friend of mine who I stayed with surprised me  when I wanted to visit my parents in our hometown. I was, for 1 hour educated on what to do and what not to do,on what to eat and what not to eat, on who to visit and who not. When I asked why all these are being said to me ,I was told that a prophetess have inform them that some people want to kill me by giving me poison through the traditional method. I was also told not give money to anybody because they will use it to make some charms so that my business will collapse. I could only look in amazement and utter disbelief. Examples were cited for me on some of our relatives, friends who didn't heed to these warnings and who eventually fall victims of these witch doctors. And my folks are born-again fanatics.

As a normal occurrence , there is no running water in 90% of Lagos state. So people relies on the northern Mallams to fetch water for them if they can afford it. One night { without electricity as usual } on a hot humid night, I needed a second  shower.  While they were trying to organize a bath for me , I overhead the next door neighbor telling my friend`s wife not to buy water from the Mallams because the voodoo in it will ensure that  the water will not last and this will make you to look for them again thereby buying more from them. And she was only 16.

Many such cases abound. One thread that ran through them is the power that such belief holds over them in Nigeria. This is seen in every area of their life in that country. Churches who I sees as the modern day witch doctors encourages this fear because that is the only way  they can continue to have control over them. It is the main theme on 95 percent of Nigerian home movies. It is indeed a portent force , been fed by the countless millions who their lives are being run by these fears. To me , I am yet to see a creative script from the screen writers in Nigeria. They may exist but the ones I have come across really turned me off that I stopped my friends from showing them to me. In as much as I am proud of the steps they are taking, anything worth doing is what doing well.

Why do all these still happen ? Simple , ignorance ,total lack of information and inability of the inhabitants of that corner of the world to figure out what their problem really is. What is frightening in this situation is that these individuals are all below 35. What do the future hold for that country if the future leaders of that yet-to-exist nation are still to overcome the first step of knowing who they are.? What kind of society and what kind of life lesson will they impact on the unborn generation and their kids that are witnessing all these now? Is there any hope for the African continent at all?

The Nigerian movie industry will have to pause and take a hard look on what they have been feeding the people. If they do not understand the power they have, then they are not worthy to be given the opportunity to exercise such control on the life of their audience. I think it time for them to ask themselves some hard questions. I think it is time for some creativity, hope, ideals such as love, honesty,triumph over greediness and pettiness, valor  , values ,compassion and all that makes us human.

Story, real life stories happenes everyday in every corner of Nigeria. We are not bunch of drug-pushers, 419ers and what else. There are heroes in every home, street, farm, shops and any other place. The market woman who sustains her family through tears na dpains, through rain or sunshine. That lady that have not seen her husband for 6 years because he is in a foreign toiling away for the future of his young family. And she have manage to keep herself and children going. That peasant that toils the alnd and feed the people. That school teacher that have not been paid for 7 months yet manages to come to work everyday. That little kid that have lost both parents to AIDS and yet still look with hope to the future. There are millions of stories that paints true picture of our resilience and sacrifices.

These are stories worth telling. These are what we are. To portray us in any other light is treachery of an unimaginable magnitude. The pitiful few that destroys our reputation with their greed and stupidity ought not to represent our heritage. Let's take another hard look , perhaps we can comprehend our true identity.

(1) (Reply)

Snoop Dogg's Fatherhood On E! / Scarlet Tvc / A Thief In The Night Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.