Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla (2468 Views)

Urgent Help Needed With Joomla Database Transfer To Webserver / Please Help, I Want To Build A Secondary School Website With Joomla / Integrating Interswitch's Webpay With Joomla's Virtuemart(shopping Cart) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla by woyens: 1:54pm On Sep 05, 2012
Please I just learn how to design a website using Joomla but I don't know how to launch it on the web for all to see. I already purchased a domain & hosting for the site. Someone please help me out. Thanks a lot
Re: How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla by hostingnaija: 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2012
Hello! First of all, it's a good thing you know you need a domain name and a hosting account to get your joomla site online, it makes the things easier. Now, do you know the basics of how to get ANY website online (how to use FTP or how to configure access to your MySQL database etc.)? If no, tell us and we will provide some beginner guidance for this things. If yes, you just need a guide on how to install Joomla: http://downloads.joomlacode.org/docmanfileversion/1/7/4/17471/1.5_Installation_Manual_version_0.5.pdf - start from page 10 and tell us what does not work for you.

Good luck!
Re: How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla by mitey(m): 11:44pm On Sep 05, 2012
Uploading a Joomla site from localhost to a web server should be painless, but it is usually not, especially for newbies.

The popular method involves uploading the Joomla site in two parts: the files and the MySQL database.

The files are uploaded with an FTP client to the directory provided by your webhost. For more information about the FTP info of your hosting space, see your web host's FAQs, help, etc. A very popular windows based FTP client is http://filezilla-project.org/download.php . Ensure you upload your files to the /public_html/ sub-directory of your hosting space to make them .

The database is first exported using phpMyAdmin on localhost http://localhost/phpmyadmin in sql of compressed format. Then in your web host cpanel, you open phpMyAdmin and use it to import the database you exported from localhost.

After that, you open config.inc.php file in the root directory of your Joomla installation and edit the database name, user and password values to connect to the database you got from your localhost.

After that you can now access your site by http://yourdomainname.com if you have pointed your nameservers to your web host

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to the cumbersome nature of the whole process, some nice guys sat down to create the Akeeba Backup and Extract Joomla component available here http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-a-security/site-security/backup/1606.
You install it like any other Joomla component, and then backup your entire site including the database with just a few clicks. The files are compressed into zip files which can be uploaded via ftp. After that, you're just a few clicks from your site being live.

If you have any more questions, post them here and we'll try to help.

Good luck with your website.
Re: How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla by MrNigeria2(m): 1:29am On Sep 06, 2012
I don't know how to launch a site on the web
for all to see. I already purchased a domain &
hosting for the site. and I used dreamweaver to design it
Re: How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla by woyens: 6:30pm On Sep 06, 2012
Thanks
Re: How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla by mrperfect(m): 8:51pm On Sep 08, 2012
MrNigeria if it database driven, use same method as explain mitey, otherwise just use ftp and upload all your files that is all.

woyens, addition to information above remember to change the following url paths to your server part:

public $log_path = 'C:\\wamp\\www\\whateverfoldername/logs';
public $tmp_path = 'C:\\wamp\\www\\whateverfoldername/tmp';

Server paths basically looks like these:

public $log_path = '/home/username/public_html/logs';
public $tmp_path = '/home/username/public_html/tmp';
That is all type your website it will be up and running.

Note: if you order our hosting, we will help you have your developed website up and running, if your already our customer tell us your domain will help you free.
Re: How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 08, 2012
MrNigeria.:
I don't know how to launch a site on the web
for all to see. I already purchased a domain &
hosting for the site. and I used dreamweaver to design it
You'll need to change the domain DNS to the hosting DNS. After that, you will an ftp program such as filezilla to transfer all the files and folders of your web project from the local machine to www directory of your host server. Once you successfully uploads the project, sign-out from the program. Check your site with any browser of your choice, your site will be live for everybody to see.

I hope this help...
Re: How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla by woyens: 12:06pm On Sep 11, 2012
Please how do I connect my youtube to my site, so users can watch videos on my site... I already installed a module 'mod_sp_simple_youtube_j15' it requested for my youtube ID and put it in but I still can't watch videos on my site... any help?
Re: How To Launch A Website Designed With Joomla by mitey(m): 3:26pm On Sep 11, 2012
@OP Have you checked their support forums?

(1) (Reply)

Finally, Webmasters Of Africa Is #1 On Google / New Bbm Channel For All Nigeria Webmasters / How To Verify Your Paypal Account With Your Nigeria Mastercard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.