Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Xavi And Casillass Wins Prince Of Asturias Award - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Xavi And Casillass Wins Prince Of Asturias Award (661 Views)

Exclusive Pictures Of Xavi Of Barcelona's Wedding / Messi, Xavi And Iniesta: Who Will Win The Ballon D'or? / Xavi Vs Lampard Who's Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Xavi And Casillass Wins Prince Of Asturias Award by Osrachingy(m): 3:54pm On Sep 05, 2012
Spain Internationals Xavi and Iker Casillas have jointly won the 2012 edition of the Prince of Asturias Sports Award.

The Barcelona midfielder and Real Madrid goalkeeper, who were put forward by Fifa president Sepp Blatter, got 11 out of the 18 votes, and will receive the award at a ceremony at Oviedo's Campoamor theatre on October 26.

"They asked me in my capacity as judge for the awards, to offer an idea, and the first names that came to me were Casillas and Xavi. Not only for what they've won on the pitch, but what they've demonstrated off it," Blatter stated to AS .

"Because they represent the unity of Spain over and above the differences there are between Madrid and Barca. They're friends first and opponents later, and they put this friendship above the rivalry.

"It's something uncommon in football and as president, I'm proud. That's why I proposed them for the Prince of Asturias award."

The award was won by athlete Haile Gebreselassie last year, while Spain's national team came out victorious in 2010.

Source http://m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/3355447

(1) (Reply)

Today's Transfer Rumours And Gists / Barca Now Have A New Coach / Franck Ribery Has Been Named European Player Of The Year For The 2012/13 Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.