Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,720 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? (2001 Views)

Christian Vs Muslim Marriage / A Christian Vs Atheist View On Abortion / Religious Dilemma! Christian Vs Atheist Girlfriend; Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 4:52pm On Sep 05, 2012
I am thinking of organising a christian debate with a rev. father or some big time pastor in Lagos next year.

Do you guyz think it will be something that people would like to see?

1 Like

Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 05, 2012
To what end?
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:36pm On Sep 05, 2012
Why not try one here on Nairaland, literature section already did one. All you need is a good organizer, pick a very interesting topic not a dead end one oh like if God exists or not and we should be able to rock and roll. Use it as you testing ground.

You feeling like taking on anyone champ? grin grin
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 5:46pm On Sep 05, 2012
Reyginus: To what end?

Promote atheism/humanism?
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 5:47pm On Sep 05, 2012
Chrisbenogor: Why not try one here on Nairaland, literature section already did one. All you need is a good organizer, pick a very interesting topic not a dead end one oh like if God exists or not and we should be able to rock and roll. Use it as you testing ground.

You feeling like taking on anyone champ? grin grin

I have debunked many on nairaland....time to go into real life, dint you think?
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:48pm On Sep 05, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Well it would be a good test of your skills, see how many you convince here on Nairaland first no?
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 5:51pm On Sep 05, 2012
Chrisbenogor:
Well it would be a good test of your skills, see how many you convince here on Nairaland first no?

Been there done that

https://www.nairaland.com/1028529/defence-logicboy

(I am logicboy)
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 05, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Promote atheism/humanism?
Nay. Religate religion/humanism?
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 6:00pm On Sep 05, 2012
Reyginus: Nay. Religate religion/humanism?

sharrap
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 05, 2012
MacDaddy01:

sharrap
Lololol. Y na?
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 6:04pm On Sep 05, 2012
Reyginus: Lololol. Y na?

You got nothing to say
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by CrazyMan(m): 6:05pm On Sep 05, 2012
MacDaddy01: I am thinking of organising a christian debate with a rev. father or some big time pastor in Lagos next year.

Hmmmmm...this your atheism is really getting out of hand.

Just because you have google and wikipedia on the tips of your finger for reference purposes whenever you're involved in a debate on Nairaland doesn't mean you would be able to convince a servant of God that his master doesn't exist.

But I would look forward to that day...I feel its a welcome development which I believe would draw you to the feet of christ once and for all.
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 6:06pm On Sep 05, 2012
CrazyMan:
Hmmmmm...this your atheism is really getting out of hand.

Just because you have google and wikipedia on the tips of your finger for reference purposes whenever you're involved in a debate on Nairaland doesn't mean you would be able to convince a servant of God that his master doesn't exist.

But I would look forward to that day...I feel its a welcome development which I believe would draw you to the feet of christ once and for all.

Lol... I am meeting Anony in person. He will testify to my debating skills,
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You got nothing to say
It's fair enough.50:50. Of what benefit will it be to the religionists if it's to promote atheism?
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by CrazyMan(m): 6:13pm On Sep 05, 2012
MacDaddy01:
Lol... I am meeting Anony in person. He will testify to my debating skills,
Wao Mr Anony would be coming...this sure would be a hell of a debate.

If I may ask what do you intend to prove?

Do you really think you can convince Mr Anony that God doesn't exist...or what topic are planing to discuss on if I may ask?
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Jenwitemi(m): 6:35pm On Sep 05, 2012
What good would this do when everyone have dug their heels in very deeply on both sides?
MacDaddy01: I am thinking of organising a christian debate with a rev. father or some big time pastor in Lagos next year.

Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by thehomer: 6:47pm On Sep 05, 2012

I think it would be a good idea though I don't know if it is something that people would like to see.
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by thehomer: 6:47pm On Sep 05, 2012
Jenwitemi: What good would this do when everyone have dug their heels in very deeply on both sides?

It provides visibility to various ideas. Many don't know that non-belief in a God is an option.
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 7:09pm On Sep 05, 2012
CrazyMan:
Wao Mr Anony would be coming...this sure would be a hell of a debate.

If I may ask what do you intend to prove?

Do you really think you can convince Mr Anony that God doesn't exist...or what topic are planing to discuss on if I may ask?

For people to learn from the debate. There are peeps who are undecided on faith
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 7:10pm On Sep 05, 2012
thehomer:

I think it would be a good idea though I don't know if it is something that people would like to see.

Agreed. I too am not sure what people's reaction to such a debatewould be
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 7:11pm On Sep 05, 2012
Jenwitemi: What good would this do when everyone have dug their heels in very deeply on both sides?

For the undecided people and the closet atheists/agnostics
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by CrazyMan(m): 7:57pm On Sep 05, 2012
MacDaddy01:
For people to learn from the debate. There are peeps who are undecided on faith
The confused ones I guess...its a wonderful development.
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by UyiIredia(m): 8:24pm On Sep 05, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You've not debunked me though. Remember our debate on atheism being a religion. Now to the topic, I don't think a debate like that is feasible. I'm of the opinion that the ground isn't fertile for atheism in these parts.
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:15pm On Sep 05, 2012
Logicboy,
Debunked, that's a strong word. I wonder how many people agreed with you though. Don't shy away lemme pit you up against someone?
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Niflheim(m): 9:34pm On Sep 05, 2012
of course alot of people will be interested in it?we used to do these debates at unilag,i remember the day 7 christian boys tried to beat me up with 2 christian sisters encouraging them,for a statement i made about the bible,they said i should bring evidence from the bible,and i showed them and they all left one by one,sad and confused!!!
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 11:04pm On Sep 05, 2012
Niflheim: of course alot of people will be interested in it?we used to do these debates at unilag,i remember the day 7 christian boys tried to beat me up with 2 christian sisters encouraging them,for a statement i made about the bible,they said i should bring evidence from the bible,and i showed them and they all left one by one,sad and confused!!!
lol grin grin grin

nice one
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by dekung(m): 1:00am On Sep 06, 2012
I would love to see that debate however you will need heavy security presence cos you dont know what these christians could do in the face of defeat
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by dekung(m): 1:01am On Sep 06, 2012
Niflheim: of course alot of people will be interested in it?we used to do these debates at unilag,i remember the day 7 christian boys tried to beat me up with 2 christian sisters encouraging them,for a statement i made about the bible,they said i should bring evidence from the bible,and i showed them and they all left one by one,sad and confused!!!
What statement did you make and where in the bible did you show them the evidence they were looking for?
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Image123(m): 6:32am On Sep 06, 2012
this op wants to die young by all means
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by MacDaddy01: 6:41am On Sep 06, 2012
Image123: this op wants to die young by all means

There it is. The confession that his fellow christians are dangerous bigots when challenged.
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Delafruita(m): 8:15am On Sep 06, 2012

it sounds good.however,what platform do you intend to employ to achieve this?one lone debate might be ineffective in making atheism acceptable.a good debate might bring personal satisfaction especially when its won,however,the focus should be on the thousands and millions who cant "come out of the closet" of religion to embrace atheism or agnosticism.i prefer to lump both up with the term "humanism" but despite that,a lot of people despite their doubts about religion are afraid of the stigma that would be attached to them if they turn their backs on organized religion.a friend once left islam and embraced ifa worship which resulted in his father disowning him.when the father died,the dude wasnt allowed to attend his burial despite been the first child.

if you want to make a mark,then focus should be on making all religion and even irreligion acceptable.atheists should be free to express themselves and humanism should be freely practised.sometimes,it helps to create a movement or organization of humanists(though i think some exist) so as to create a forum where humanists can face up to their belief without stigmatisation
Re: Would A Formal Christian Vs Atheist Debate Make Sense In Nigeria/lagos? by Nobody: 8:44am On Sep 06, 2012
I'll be frank with you , Nigerians are not 'open-minded' enough for that kind of thing. All they would do is point fingers and scream that you're the devil. I respect a man's choice and support when a person refuses to pray or believe in the existence of a higher power and for that, most people view me as a devil's spawn and possessed even though I'm a christian. I wonder what would happen to an atheist if he/she walked into my circles. They would sprinkle holy water, raise crucifixes and shout incantations at you tongue tongue tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Right To Say Holy Ghost Fire In The Church? / 5 Nights Of Glory Is Here Again !!!!!! / Am I Being Influenced?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.