Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,439 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

In Defence Of Logicboy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In Defence Of Logicboy (14241 Views)

Logicboy's Successes And Failures On Nairaland! / Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism / The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Defence Of Logicboy by Purist(m): 1:52pm On Aug 25, 2012
Logicboy is probably the most vilified atheist on this board. Rude, childish, annoying, petulant, immature, troll are all words that are frequently used to describe him. But let's look beyond his perceived attitude; I think this fellow is really effecting a change on Nairaland, even if we don't fully realize it yet.

While quietly observing the banter between logicboy and musKeeto on the other thread last night, I remembered the conversation I had with a fellow Nigerian about four nights ago. We had been discussing and debating various topics (homosexuality, abortion, etc) with two other Nigerians when Nairaland came up. He asked me if I was a very active member and which section I frequent the most -- I told him, 'Religion'. He frequents the Travel section and revealed that he avoids the Religion section as much as possible. When I asked him why, his response was simple -- "those atheists."

Upon hearing this, I sat up. I pressed him further and he admitted that he often finds the arguments here too compelling, even to the detriment of his faith. His words, "those atheists dey always get very strong arguments, dem fit make person to dey question God and dey commit sin." He then went ahead to mention one atheist in particular. Yes, you have guessed right - logicboy. "That guy na very crazy guy. But some of the things wey he dey always talk dey always correct sha", he added.

Then as the conversation went even further, I noticed something -- he began to question the bible and christianity as a whole (he had no idea I am irreligious). He suddenly began to repeat the same arguments logicboy and others often present here (strangely though, he mentioned nothing about slavery grin). It was like he was in a trance of some sort, because he just kept going on and on while I listened patiently. At the end of his "rant", he finally admitted, "In fact, this Christianity sef, so many things just dey wrong about am. Those atheists dey get point true true." In his little rant, he had questioned the story of the Garden of Eden, he had questioned God's omnibenevolence and omnipotence, he had questioned certain biblical contradictions, and so on. I really couldn't believe my ears, and I was quite frankly amused.

Three days on from that night, he no longer considers himself a Christian. He still claims to believe in God though, but he no longer does Christianity or any other religion for that matter. Who knows how many more like him are here, even reading this thread, but too scared to post? It still surprises and amuses me when I think about it. That, folks, is The Logicboy Effect.

============
MacDaddy01:

Unfortunately you are right; going from forum to forum doesnt make me brave, just makes me look jobless. However, it is for a greater good. I believe that people learn from our arguments! some people have even confessed that they have changed faith because of the debates
musKeeto: People do learn from the arguments on this board, but I think most people even atheists get turned off when someone tries to ridicule their beliefs/lack of it with blatant lies e.g atheists can not love, atheists are more intelligent than theists etc...

I love the banter on NL though... won't want it to ever stop...
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by mkmyers45(m): 2:12pm On Aug 25, 2012
I could also smile after reding this.....THE LOGICBOY EFFECT grin grin grin grin
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 25, 2012
Lol... I hope this threa makes it to front page.

I know a lot of Nigerians who have begun to question religion too. NL has helped a lot, but the Boko Haram church bombings have been a gift in a sense.

Christians: Why is God not protecting his people? Even on Xmas Day? Unanswered prayers? Silent God? There's a reason?

Muslims: They're misled. Really? How? Why?

Religion is killing itself in Nigeria and Nairaland is supplying the weapons..

1 Like

Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by mkmyers45(m): 2:26pm On Aug 25, 2012
musKeeto: Lol... I hope this threa makes it to front page.

I know a lot of Nigerians who have begun to question religion too. NL has helped a lot, but the Boko Haram church bombings have been a gift in a sense.

Christians: Why is God not protecting his people? Even on Xmas Day? Unanswered prayers? Silent God? There's a reason?

Very True...that is why i strongly feel that the abrahamic faiths seriously have to evolve to a higher level or they will face extinction...
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by tobechi20(m): 2:28pm On Aug 25, 2012
I lyk logic boy as person .i have no grudge against him and his felow atheist.

As for his arguements, he makes some sence .i dislyk it wen he starts going personal. Its beta to talk about d topic and nt d poster.

I was very curious as a child. Then i learnt dis. OVER CURIOSITY KILS D CAT. It is beta to know things that concerns u more. The more u know, d more u want to know and d more problems u bring to urself. The les u know the happy u are.

What wil u gain by seeing Gods.u want him to show him self and then.......,u belive and then what.....

Why do we want to know haw d world was creatd? D u want to create ur own world?
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by mkmyers45(m): 2:32pm On Aug 25, 2012
tobechi20: I lyk logic boy as person .i have no grudge against him and his felow atheist.

As for his arguements, he makes some sence .i dislyk it wen he starts going personal. Its beta to talk about d topic and nt d poster.

I was very curious as a child. Then i learnt dis. OVER CURIOSITY KILS D CAT. It is beta to know things that concerns u more. The more u know, d more u want to know and d more problems u bring to urself. The les u know the happy u are.

What wil u gain by seeing Gods.u want him to show him self and then.......,u belive and then what.....

I have to partly disagree with you on this...Knowledge is very good but truly it sometimes does harm but on the flip side its usually more harm than good so true and unadulterated quest for knowledge is expected from all....God showed himself to moses no? If you are satisfied to shut your mind to quest fine but surely you have more to gain by journeying into the valley of knowledge...

1 Like

Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by MacDaddy01: 2:36pm On Aug 25, 2012
Thanks for having my back.

I have always agreed that I am not always calm and nice when explaining my point of views. I get personal sometimes but I am only venting my frustrations at the excesses of religion.

I am human. While I try to present factual arguments, I will get personal sometimes when angry.

Thanks for the comments guyz....I'm so emotional grin

Logicboy AKA Macdaddy
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by MacDaddy01: 2:37pm On Aug 25, 2012
musKeeto: Lol... I hope this threa makes it to front page.

We keep saying the same things but you always want to distance yourself from me. angry cool

We are both humanists at the end of the day cool
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by Avicenna: 3:04pm On Aug 25, 2012
This should be coming from me. I regret. I missed his Logicboy effect thread.

He may not know but he played a prominent role in my de-conversion. Along with Sister fatie who convinced me to finally take the step.

Before, I used to think he could do without the insults but after I started commenting, I know better.

I'm grateful, Logicboy.
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by MacDaddy01: 3:08pm On Aug 25, 2012
Avicenna: This should be coming from me. I regret. I missed his Logicboy effect thread.

He may not know but he played a prominent role in my de-conversion. Along with Sister fatie who convinced me to finally take the step.

Before, I used to think he could do without the insults but after I started commenting, I know better.

I'm grateful, Logicboy.

Thank you very much grin grin
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by plaetton: 3:16pm On Aug 25, 2012
mkmyers45:

Very True...that is why i strongly feel that the abrahamic faiths seriously have to evolve to a higher level or they will face extinction...

They cannot evolve to a higher level because their genes(building blocks) are flawed. They can only go the way of the Dodo bird.

2 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by plaetton: 3:18pm On Aug 25, 2012
tobechi20: I lyk logic boy as person .i have no grudge against him and his felow atheist.

Curiosity killed the cat, but Satisfaction got him back.
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by mkmyers45(m): 3:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
plaetton:

They cannot evolve to a higher level because their genes(building blocks) are flawed. They can only go the way of the Dodo bird.

Well, then in the near future they will experience serious problems as over 35% of christians now are closet atheists and the number is growing...
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 25, 2012
DANG THIS PLACE REEKS OF HOMOEROTIC BROWN NOSERS cry
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by mkmyers45(m): 3:22pm On Aug 25, 2012
obadiah777: DANG THIS PLACE REEKS OF HOMOEROTIC BROWN NOSERS cry

Having ciroc on the lords day?
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by plaetton: 3:23pm On Aug 25, 2012
mkmyers45:

Well, then in the near future they will experience serious problems as over 35% of christians now are closet atheists and the number is growing...

Thats evolution right before our eyes.
Every child is less religious than their parents. After few generation,new thinking and new paradigms emerge.
Who says evolution is just a theory?

3 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by Nobody: 3:23pm On Aug 25, 2012
mkmyers45:

Having ciroc on the lords day?
i done gave up the liquor. although i did quaff a bottle of dragon stout yesterday. but that was my last alcohol. i am flying clean from now on out. teetotal my nigga grin
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 25, 2012
obadiah777: i done gave up the liquor. although i did quaff a bottle of dragon stout yesterday. but that was my last alcohol. i am flying clean from now on out. teetotal my nigga grin
Buzugee brought up?
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by mkmyers45(m): 3:28pm On Aug 25, 2012
obadiah777: i done gave up the liquor. although i did quaff a bottle of dragon stout yesterday. but that was my last alcohol. i am flying clean from now on out. teetotal my nigga grin

grin grin grin grin
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by mkmyers45(m): 3:29pm On Aug 25, 2012
plaetton:

Thats evolution right before our eyes.
Every child is less religious than their parents. After few generation,new thinking and new paradigms emerge.
Who says evolution is just a theory?

Possible but reception to religion can be fully accounted to evolution?
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 25, 2012
musKeeto:
Buzugee brought up?
ECCLESIASTES 3 15 Whatever is has already been, and what will be has been before; angry grin
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by plaetton: 3:43pm On Aug 25, 2012
mkmyers45:

In a way. Yes.
Our ancestor were quick to accept christianity because they wanted to move away from an oppressive traditional religions because of their rigidity and their unending demands for sacrifices. So they evolved(more like mutated towards) to a more liberal system as soon as it became available.
It is similar to a species favouring one trait over another untill that particular trait itself becomes redundant or harmful to the species. Eventually the species begins to take on other traits that would nullify the effects of the previous trait.

1 Like

Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by plaetton: 3:45pm On Aug 25, 2012
mkmyers45:

Ofcourse I do not mean biological evolution.
I mean social or mental evolution.
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by jayriginal: 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2012
Had to smile at the OP. I guess Logicboy (not to boast) did start something or at the very least fuelled something on Nairaland.
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by mkmyers45(m): 3:48pm On Aug 25, 2012
plaetton:

Ofcourse I do not mean biological evolution.
I mean social or mental evolution.

I understand....anyway i feel the most solid religion is islam but even it wont survive long if the current trend continues...
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 25, 2012
jayriginal: Had to smile at the OP. I guess Logicboy (not to boast) did start something or at the very least fuelled something on Nairaland.
Only thing Logicboy started and fuelled is the dumbing down of the spiritual health of Nairaland audiences cry Logicboy your soul is required in hell angry

1 Like

Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by Avicenna: 3:58pm On Aug 25, 2012
obadiah777: Only thing Logicboy started and fuelled is the dumbing down of the spiritual health of Nairaland audiences cry Logicboy your soul is required in hell angry

Like hell!
This is the beginning!
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by tpia5: 4:17pm On Aug 25, 2012
Purist: I am irreligious

that's all.

like attracts like.

1 Like

Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by Areaboy2(m): 5:16pm On Aug 25, 2012
LOL. Nice thread here. At first I felt I was alone in my disbelieve of the Abrahamic religions brought about by so much research until I had a peek in the religious section of Nairaland and indeed one name stands out.... Logicboy

Makes it a lot easier to express my views in an otherwise 0rgy of religiousness Nigerians tend to adopt.

So Logicboy is our own version of Christopher Hitches? grin grin grin grin

We need a Nigerian Atheist convention wink wink
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by Purist(m): 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2012
tpia@:

that's all.

like attracts like.

Wow, what a revelation. Surely, flesh and blood did not reveal this to you.

2 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by tpia5: 5:33pm On Aug 25, 2012
^ i dont know.

could you find out when the saying "birds of a feather flock together" was first coined.

we might have a lead and some clues there.
Re: In Defence Of Logicboy by cyrexx: 5:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
Purist:

Wow, what a revelation. Surely, flesh and blood did not reveal this to you.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Is Holy Ghost Fire Prayer Biblical? / Who Is A True Man Of God? / Laurie Idahosa: Breast Cancer Killed My Grandmothers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.